Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, Comic Books

Default Re: Hey, Comic Books

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    Maybe you are refering to Wolverine's son, Daken, who is bi, and has, at this moment, a slight case of death.
    Uncanny X-Force, I miss u, I really really do

I just started the new Prophet, and god damn am I hooked. Same goes for Manhattan Projects
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Does anyones else spend $11 on one comic instead of $3.99, because you like collecting the variant cover edition? Also, what are some really good comicbook stores in your area? I only shop and beach & ball comics.

Quote Originally Posted by ActionComics View Post
    While I dug the reboot of Xforce, I have to say I was a little disappointed with Remender's run on Uncanny XForce. While the concept of Angel becoming a horseman again and going over to the dark side was intriguing, the overall execution wasn't that interesting. I did fall hard for Noto's artwork, though. I would get sidetracked studying the panels.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

I just recently stared reading comic books. Read Joe Casey's Sex. Not bad for a first issue. Also catching up on Saga. I find that most of the comics I read are from Image. Included in it are Bedlam, Mara, Fatale, Snapshot and Nowhere Men. However, my favorite book that I've been reading has to be Dark Horse's Mind MGMT. Love that one. Only Marvel I'm currently reading is Hawkeye and am enjoying that. I have Young Avengers as well but haven't delved into it.
    Last edited by iv3rdawG; 03-09-2013 at 10:45 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    jesus christ, i leave the board for an hour to find the disneyland thread and there's all these fry threads. wtf?!

One thing I liked about Uncanny X-Force was that Deadpool is actually useful and his quips are actually funny for a change. A little of Deadpool goes a long way, but the book proved that there's still mileage you can get out of that character when used properly. The latter can be said about a majority of the cast.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

One thing I liked about Uncanny X-Force was that Deadpool is actually useful and his quips are actually funny for a change. A little of Deadpool goes a long way, but the book proved that there's still mileage you can get out of that character when used properly. The latter can be said about a majority of the cast.
    Thats what i was about to write. Deadpool really was given a breath of fresh air. The return to age of apocalypse was epic. Seeing a few of those characters knocked off (iceman thrown in the furnace) was really fun. Artwork was amazing

Quote Originally Posted by iv3rdawG View Post
    I just recently stared reading comic books. Read Joe Casey's Sex. Not bad for a first issue. Also catching up on Saga. I find that most of the comics I read are from Image. Included in it are Bedlam, Mara, Fatale, Snapshot and Nowhere Men. However, my favorite book that I've been reading has to be Dark Horse's Mind MGMT. Love that one. Only Marvel I'm currently reading is Hawkeye and am enjoying that. I have Young Avengers as well but haven't delved into it.
    If you like hawkeye, check out Secret Avengers. It just relaunched, issue #1 came out just a few weeks ago. It was something i didnt think i would be interested in but its written well and the art is halfway decent. Check it out if you get the chance

Just found this thread! I agree Deadpool works best in small amounts, remember when he was stuck in the box for a few hundred years and they find him all decrepid, I think it was back when Bishop was hunting down Cable and Hope.

Does anyone here know any one that writes comics? Or is in the industry at all? I am thinking about writing and illustrating a really low budget comic, and am looking for advice.
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Does anyones else spend $11 on one comic instead of $3.99, because you like collecting the variant cover edition? Also, what are some really good comicbook stores in your area? I only shop and beach & ball comics.
    Due to the rising cost of everything, I don't shop for comics as much as I used to, but here are the places I have liked:

In Long Beach, I shop at Amazing Comics and Pulp Fiction. These two stores are about a mile away from each other.

In Culver City, I shop at Comics Ink. They offer a 10% discount if you spend $20 or more.

I would have to agree. I did enjoy his antics in this title more than when he is solo.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Does anyone here know any one that writes comics? Or is in the industry at all? I am thinking about writing and illustrating a really low budget comic, and am looking for advice.

If your financing it yourself, find 2 or 3 local comic stores in your area that would be willing to sell it. Most publishers get flooded with submissions of up and coming artist/writers. A great way to show them your comic can sell is to actually sell some copies of it. You could even set up a meet a greet to sign copies and take pics. Try and set them up on a wed for obvious reasons. Id like to hear what this comic is all about too. Maybe we could meet up at coachella and ill buy you a beer/smoke you out and you could tell me all about it.

Quote Originally Posted by SoccerRyot View Post
    In Long Beach, I shop at Amazing Comics and Pulp Fiction. These two stores are about a mile away from each other.
    Los alamitos has a new shop opening up soon. Ryans comics. Its owned by this guy whos super serious but has a lot of awesome prices on everything. I picked this up for like $100 less than most other stores were asking.http://www.mwctoys.com/REVIEW_091912a.htm . His other store is in murrieta.

If you are in Burbank, definately go to House of Secrets. If you are in Hollywood, gotta check out Golden Apple Comics.

Those are the two shops I can personally recommend.

Theme night listing:

The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I would actually suggest Meltdown over Golden Apple for Hollywood. House of Secrets is wonderful, Paul is the man! Comics Factory in Pasadena was my favorite shop when i was last regularly purchasing comics though.
    last.fm
    10/22/14 - TV On The Radio @ Regent // 11/9/14 - Bad Religion @ Mayan // 11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

I would actually suggest Meltdown over Golden Apple for Hollywood. House of Secrets is wonderful, Paul is the man! Comics Factory in Pasadena was my favorite shop when i was last regularly purchasing comics though.
    Meltdown is ok, but their back issue section was not cared for well... none of the bagged comics in there were boarded (not counting the issues they have under glass display in the center of the store. I used to go there for comics since it was closer to me, but started purchasing from HoS when I realized it was on my way to work, and just found everything about House of Secrets to be to my liking.

Golden Apple was actually for sale on eBay a year ago for over half a million dollars. They didn't end up selling it, but they did reduce their store-space by half.

Also, does anyone know of Hi Di Ho Comics (sp?) in Santa Monica? It seems to be the only comic shop I know of there, but I always have a good time digging through the back issues there.

Theme night listing:

I think im going to hit up Golden Apple this weekend just to check it out. Ive never heard of Hi-Di-Ho-, but now i want to scope this place out just because of the name. Also, how long will brian michael bendis reign of terror writing x-men last? I can only read 2-3 x titles because of it. I cant get over how awful it is

I think im going to hit up Golden Apple this weekend just to check it out. Ive never heard of Hi-Di-Ho-, but now i want to scope this place out just because of the name. Also, how long will brian michael bendis reign of terror writing x-men last? I can only read 2-3 x titles because of it. I cant get over how awful it is
    Two things:

1. You are not liking All New X-Men? It's pretty great, or at least, no complaints from me so far. Also, Bendis is going to be on these titles for awhile, it seems. (I haven't read the new Uncanny yet, but with Bachalo penciling, count me in.)

2. Hi-Di-Ho, it's great place to dig for back issues, but they just moved into a new spot about a year ago, and well... not the prettiest store, but there certainly make up for it in the amount of stuff they have. Also, last time I was there, I felt I was in a bit of a time warp because there was a Magic: The Gathering tournament going on.

Theme night listing:

It is one of the 3 i read (cable and x-force, uncanny x-men, all new), but im really not that into it. Bendis is kind of a control freak when it comes to story lines. Every other comics revolves around All-new. Id like to read one title that didnt require me to read another to figure out every little thing thats happening. Uncanny art makes up for lack of a driven story line, not sure what the characters goals are in that one. Everyone seems lost and its strange that Uncanny x-men relaunched last year and then again this year. A vs X was tragic, no imagination at all. I was hoping for more a team tactics approach rather than have some random avenger in a cross-punch pose with some random x-men. Ill also be taking bets as to when prof. X comes back from the dead. 2-3 months maybe?

oh no, dont say magic the gathering or star wars. It will attract that other type of nerd. We dont want them in here role playing and/or acting out scenes from old scifi movies

It is one of the 3 i read (cable and x-force, uncanny x-men, all new), but im really not that into it. Bendis is kind of a control freak when it comes to story lines. Every other comics revolves around All-new. Id like to read one title that didnt require me to read another to figure out every little thing thats happening. Uncanny art makes up for lack of a driven story line, not sure what the characters goals are in that one. Everyone seems lost and its strange that Uncanny x-men relaunched last year and then again this year. A vs X was tragic, no imagination at all. I was hoping for more a team tactics approach rather than have some random avenger in a cross-punch pose with some random x-men. Ill also be taking bets as to when prof. X comes back from the dead. 2-3 months maybe?
    Professor X is going to be staying dead for quite awhile, as far as I understand it, mostly having to do with the fact that he's outlived his purpose, and thus, needed to go. I mean, they have kept Jean Grey dead for once (not counting time-displaced Jean).

Also, I will counter that Avengers Vs. X-Men was pretty great. I didn't think there were that many fights (they saved most for the A vs. X companion title) and I think it stood heads and tails above most of the cross-over events they have had since I started reading again. Also, Hope luring Wolverine with the trail of beer? Priceless. Also, kudos to Marvel for taking a formally boring character like Cyclops and actually doing something with him. I can't wait to see how much farther over the edge they are willing to take him.

Can I get your opinion on Superior Spider-Man? More comic-controversy!

Also, for the ladies reading comics, i think the new Gambit title is subtly for you, and by subtly, I mean, he has his shirt off a lot.

Theme night listing:

Had a good day at Villainous Lair today... starting off my comic book collection nicely. I have about 20 books right now of various stuff. Slowly but surely, lol. I wanted to pick up something cool/semi-expensive to kind of kickstart my collection and I found something pretty awesome. Strange Adventures #205 which has the first appearance of Dead Man. It's in pretty good shape (not incredible or anything) and it was listed for 25 which I thought was a good price for something so old (1967). So I scooped it! along with the second half of Hush in loose issues, which I had started reading, Dark Knight, Dark City (Batman #452-454), and a couple other things. Overall, a bunch of good pickups, I'm very happy.

Recently started delving into Marvel... going back way far and reading the beginning of Amazing Spider-Man and also X-Men from Giant-Size X-Men to #94 and on. Gonna start Morrison's New X-Men pretty soon.

Due to work, I've come to hate people who read comic books/graphic novels. People will sit in the section all day browsing through them, then just leave them on the floor or shove them in some random place and fuck up the whole shelve. My conclusion is that like 40% of people who read them are pieces of shit.

9/23 Modest Mouse @ Pappy & Harriet's
    10/7 Ought @ Eagle Rock Center For The Arts
    10/25 Beach Goth @ The Observatory

Your conclusion is right, most of them are manchildren

If your financing it yourself, find 2 or 3 local comic stores in your area that would be willing to sell it. Most publishers get flooded with submissions of up and coming artist/writers. A great way to show them your comic can sell is to actually sell some copies of it. You could even set up a meet a greet to sign copies and take pics. Try and set them up on a wed for obvious reasons. Id like to hear what this comic is all about too. Maybe we could meet up at coachella and ill buy you a beer/smoke you out and you could tell me all about it.
    That would be cool. I am in the really early stages, and haven't even started writing. I probably won't til at least summer or fall. It is already turning into something completely different than what I had first imagined, and requires a lot of research.

Tyles, im sorry, but Avengers vs x-men did not live up to what i expected a 10-12 year major event in the making should have concluded with. Kung-fu,wtf? This is also going to disappoint you but i dont read any spider-man titles. I do not read any titles about just one specific character in the marvel universe. I know what you are referring to when you say comic controversy though. Spider-man is now like firestorm and is sharing his brain with doc oc. I cant comment and i dont want to be judgemental of something i haven't read yet. The best comic marvel is pumping out every month isAvengers Arena hands down. Everyone read this now! Only issue #6 and i can already tell im going to be sad when it ends.

The best comic marvel is pumping out every month isAvengers Arena hands down. Everyone read this now! Only issue #6 and i can already tell im going to be sad when it ends.
    Apparently, you haven't read Mark Waid's current run on Daredevil yet. Also, FF with Fraction and The Allred's at the helm is worth picking up.

Also, in non-Marvel books, pick up Fatale.

Theme night listing:

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    Due to work, I've come to hate people who read comic books/graphic novels. People will sit in the section all day browsing through them, then just leave them on the floor or shove them in some random place and fuck up the whole shelve. My conclusion is that like 40% of people who read them are pieces of shit.
    From my years of working at a book store, the worst sections for customers, in order of filthiness:

1) Self-Help/Psychology

2) Business/Real Estate

3) Comics

4) Childrens

The rest were pretty much all the same, but dear god does the self-help section draw the worst fucking slobs and idiots ever. They make the comic book readers seem like well-adjusted individuals.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I tried really hard to like ff, but its just not for me. Its like the power pack teamed up with the x-babies or something, lol weird. I will most definitely check out The Allred's at the helm and fatale. Thanks for the heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by FEELS View Post
    My conclusion is that like 40% of people who read them are pieces of shit.
    Anyone who doesnt support their local comic shop and buys them from a major bookstore chain is a complete fucking asshole to begin with. So, my conclusion would be more like 70%. ill leave 30% for those who no not have a comic store in a 5 mile radius and are to young to drive.

Who buys a bunch of comics anymore anyways? I only purchase action comics and avengers arena every month. The rest i get from this guy, Darkhomr. He post most comics every week. Heres a piratebay link: http://thepiratebay.se/search/darkhomr/0/99/0

Need a CBReader? http://www.cdisplay.me/
    Last edited by ActionComics; 03-17-2013 at 03:58 PM.

Ayyyyyyy so I've been watching too much Comic Book Men and Pawn Stars so I went on craigslist last night and found somebody selling like 7 long boxes of Silver Age stuff. Went over to check it out today, he had a lot of awesome books for sale, (way way in his personal collection), but stuff like Hulk 5 and 6 were up for grabs, and a lot more. Here's what a picked up for 100 bucks, which I am now researching and realizing how good of a deal I got. All the books are in really great shape... I'm no comic books grader but almost all of the ones I got are in awesome condition. I'm really happy.

X-Men #109
    X-Men #113
    X-Men #124
    Strange Adventures #213-214
    Wolverine #17
    Action Comics #460
    Aquaman #55
    Green Arrow #1-4