Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 131415161718

Thread: Hey, Comic Books

Default Re: Hey, Comic Books

Ooo, I am late to this party...

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Finally dove into Peter David's run on X-Factor. About 20 issues in (including the Madrox mini/prequel) and it's great how crazy these characters are. Didn't think i'd like Monet so much.
    How did you like it? This was one title I learned not to drink anything while I was reading it because I LOLed and choked a couple of times. I was sorry to hear that Peter David had been hospitalized and to see the title come to a close, but really enjoyed it. Glad to hear Peter is doing ok now, too. During the final issues, a co-worker and I were chatting, and because he was not reading XFactor but he does read other Marvel titles, he asked me: "What is the deal with Shatterstar?" so I loaned him my copy.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    I picked up the She-Hulk, because if anything, the art was pretty great. Surprise! It's all pretty great... can't wait to pick up issue #2. With this, Ms. Marvel, and the reviews I am seeing for the new Black Widow ongoing, it's nice to see that Marvel is putting out quality solo titles for it's female superheroes.
    Looking forward to reading the new Black Widow run, but I have had to cut back on my comic book purchases lately due to lack of funds, so I don't know when I will be getting to that.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

Just read Millar's Starlight #1 and it is very promising. An extremely human tale from the get go. The premise is a former Space Cadet, similar to Flash Gordon, (in fact I think the character is entirely modeled after Flash,) who gets recruited by aliens to come out of retirement. He has a heroic past that no one believes, and with his kids too busy for him and his wife deaceased, it could make for an awesome redemption story about self worth.
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Anyone go to WonderCon over the weekend. I got a couple of prints and some zine comics.
    image.jpg
    ------------------
    "Mr. Toad's Wild Aidz."

Joining this thread (forgive me for not reading through all previous 18 pages) to share some comics love too! Some of my current faves:

Saga (THE BEST)
    Sex Criminals (seriously, have any of you been reading this??? It's so fucking good! The letters page makes me die laughing after just about every sentence or screech OH MY GODDDD repeatedly. The comic is really really great too of course.)
    Black Science/Deadly Class - Remender is on fire this year. He has yet another series starting soon too! Crazy. I finally read all of Fear Agent this year and that was a hell of a ride.
    Hawkeye - Fraction/Aja are doing ridiculously great on this run. The second trade was jaw droppingly original and cool to read. Love everything about this one.
    FBP - I was skeptical of this so I waited for the trade, and was very glad I checked it out finally. Awesome concept
    Lazarus - I've enjoyed some of Rucka's work before, especially Batwoman and Whiteout, but this series is shaping up to be his masterpiece. Incredible world building and social/political commentary, very well executed.

For those that like Lemire or sci-fi in general, I highly recommend his series Trillium that just concluded (I'm sure the trade is forthcoming soon). Very inventive and meaningful storytelling, not to mention his fantastic art.

Picked up the first 2 issues of Millar's Starlight but haven't had time to read them yet; looks great though. The Moebius-style art is what sucked me in.

I recently finished reading Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing, and what a masterpiece that is. Beautiful, creepy, touching, trippy, cerebral... it's easy to see why this book changed the industry. On a similar note, my all time favorite comic is Promethea - HIGHLY recommend everyone read it in full, it is mind blowing in every way. JH Williams is a BEAST, my favorite artist in comics. Combined with Moore (my fave writer), this series is out of this world amazing.

So glad JH is on the new Sandman - the first 2 issues have been pretty great so far, largely because of him (I love Gaiman of course, but so far I think the new Sandman writing/story is a bit convoluted and bogged down in a way that isn't very accessible. I will continue reading though to see where it goes)

Lastly, anyone have any favorite music-related comics? My favorite so far is Gillen/McKelvie's Phonogram, especially the 2nd TP (The Singles Club).
    Last edited by electrocute; 04-26-2014 at 04:39 PM.
    Coachella 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011!!!, 2012 (w1), 2013 (w2), 2014! (w2)...

Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    Flowers are born to die, bro

Quote Originally Posted by electrocute View Post
    (forgive me for not reading through all previous 18 pages)
    You really should of though.......

Sex Criminals (seriously, have any of you been reading this??? It's so fucking good! The letters page makes me die laughing after just about every sentence or screech OH MY GODDDD repeatedly. The comic is really really great too of course.)
    I read about 6 issues into this. FUCKING GARBAGE. Its like the opposite of axe cop, drawn by a 5 year old and written by a 30 yr old virgin. Seriously though, people can stop time when they fuck and only in their late 20's do they realize that they could rob banks........stupid. Why are all the characters drawn like they share a common ancestry with Gumby?

Black Science/Deadly Class - Remender is on fire this year. He has yet another series starting soon too! Crazy.
    LOW, the new Remender series coming out soon is titled LOW. July 30th, issue #1. I've been trying to avoid any spoilers on the story line, so I don't know to much about it, but the basic outline of the story: In the far future humanity had to build giant underwater cities to escape the extreme heat and radiation of the expanding/dying sun. Before everyone went below, a few satellites were launched in a last ditch effort to find another habitable planet. A few thousand years later one of the satellites crashes back on earth. Now its a race to the surface between the remaining underwater cities to find it first.
    09,10,12w1,13w1

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ActionComics View Post
    You really should of though.......
    Lol words and sounds
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Yeah I didn't keep reading after issue 1 of Sex Criminals. meh.

Anybody reading Sheltered? Kind of under the radar survival-story. I'm digging it.

Deadly Class is definitely my new favorite book coming out; the art is completely crazy... Love the Vegas storyline right now. Remender can't be stopped.

Getting ready for Comic Con and thought I would catch up here to see what I have been missing out on and/or what I should keep an eye out for.

Lastly, anyone have any favorite music-related comics? My favorite so far is Gillen/McKelvie's Phonogram, especially the 2nd TP (The Singles Club).
    Oh yeah, this reminds me that I need to get a hold of the rest of the Coldplay comic. I read the first one and got the second one but I didn't finish it.
    2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1

Is Zero Girl worth checking out ?
    Translation

Quote Originally Posted by WhyTheLongFace View Post
    Still pretty serious about this.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival 10/03 - 10/05/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Treasure Island @ Treasure Island 10/18 & 10/19/14
    Moodymann @ PW 10/25/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14