Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Hey, Comic Books

Default Re: Hey, Comic Books

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    I've never really gotten into comics but have been wanting to for years, so this is a major fucking boon for me: http://www.buzzfeed.com/summeranne/6...ne-should-read
    This list is killing me. So many of these look incredible. I've never really been into Manga, but that Buhda series looks gorgeous and magnificent. Anyone read it? Is it worth the time? I've been meaning to read From Hell and V For Vendetta for a while too, I really should get to those soon. Also, Superman: Red Son looks fascinating... Ah! So much to read.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Popped into Secret Headquarters in Silverlake and loved the selection of local zines and lots of gay comics. Picked up 4 issues of Wuvable Oaf and love the story so far. It's about a music loving hairy bear dude looking for love in San Francisco (he's a big morrissey fan...ugh). Oaf suffers from a lot a social anxiety (was an orphan), is secretly a retired wrestler (Gote Blud) who now takes care of lots of kittens and makes dolls stuffed with his hair shavings. Most of the book focuses on his unlucky dating life, which consists of flashbacks to dates gone horribly wrong and his current pursuit of a slutty lead singer of a punk rock band (Ejaculoid). The special edition of issue #2 actually includes a 7" single written and recorded by Limp Wrist, which i'll have to track down online.

In between Oaf's story, there's a bunch of interludes featuring all his cats and other subplot of his dolls coming to life to torture the cats and kill bad people. Weird Pupper Master vibe with those things. Try spotting all the cameos the writer/artist slips into the pages (Torche t-shirts, the girls from the Craft at a party, etc).
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

Man, Akira is the greatest comic series I have ever read. I can't believe that dude wrote and drew that.
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Damn, need to get on that. Heard a lot of good things. Never seen the anime or read the comics.

I'm deep into a ton of books right now. Y the Last Man is fucking awesome. Almost done with that and Preacher.

Also, anyone reading Thor: God of Thunder? I always hated Thor, but that book is badass.

I may be the only one to ever say this, but fuck the ending to Y. Preacher is a goddamn masterpiece though. Maybe I will hit that up again after I am done with all the other stuff I want to read.
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Preacher is so goddamn good. I read the whole series a few years ago after having read a few random graphics as a kid, and that story arc is just great. And I can't think of a better ending.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Preacher is so goddamn good. I read the whole series a few years ago after having read a few random graphics as a kid, and that story arc is just great. And I can't think of a better ending.
    I put that book down after the whole Arseface thing. I don't understand the praise it seems like it's trying too hard to be edgy.

I have to say that right now DC is killing it with the New 52. Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Batman, Justice League Dark are all great titles.
    The White Stripes 9/18

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

i STILL need to really get into Preacher. I have had the first 3 collections for like 15 years and have read them multiple times, but for some reason never got the rest of the series.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

FINALLY SAGA 2 is in my comic book store!!!!!! I am also picking up the 3rd Fatale today. I think I'll pick up Preacher again after I'm done with these 2, I fell off after the 7th one.

Also, I recently finished Judge Death, the one illustrated by Bolland, and it was meh. Underwellming to say the least.
    Weedeater/Black Cobra 1/17 @ Thee Parkside | Justin Timberlake @ SAP Center 1/19 | Scott H. Biram @ Rickshaw Stop 3/11 (?) |DEATH @ The Chapel 3/23 | Gary Numan @ the Fillmore 4/6 | Coachella Weekend 1 | Franz Ferdinand 4/28

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
    I put that book down after the whole Arseface thing. I don't understand the praise it seems like it's trying too hard to be edgy.

I have to say that right now DC is killing it with the New 52. Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Wonder Woman, Batman, Justice League Dark are all great titles.
    I picked up the first 2 New 52 Animal Man TPBs and I really like them. On a side note, the out of print TPBs for Grant Morrison's Animal Man run (issues 1-26) are being collected into an Omnibus. Depending on the extras/upgrades i'll be looking to pick that up.

I know that Morrison's runs on Animal Man and Doom Patrol get all the praise, but did anyone stick with the titles after? None of those writers/arcs got collected (IIRC), but i was hoping to reread those stories too.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    8/2&3 HARD Summer - 8/7 Arctic Monkeys@Staples - 8/8 Cut Copy@Brooklyn Bowl - 8/22 NIN@Verizon - 8/23&24 FYF Fest - 9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House

I did not, but I've read Morrison's full run on Animal Man and it's spectacular. Jeff Lemire has done a hell of a job with the reboot of the series, but I wasn't ever really in doubt there.

Quote Originally Posted by summerkid View Post

Fuck yes.

Quote Originally Posted by sbconnection View Post
    FINALLY SAGA 2 is in my comic book store!!!!!! I am also picking up the 3rd Fatale today. I think I'll pick up Preacher again after I'm done with these 2, I fell off after the 7th one.
    Saga is SOOOOO GOOD. Love it. I need to get into Fatale, I downloaded the first book. I love Brubaker's Criminal. That is a great series.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    I picked up the first 2 New 52 Animal Man TPBs and I really like them. On a side note, the out of print TPBs for Grant Morrison's Animal Man run (issues 1-26) are being collected into an Omnibus. Depending on the extras/upgrades i'll be looking to pick that up.

I know that Morrison's runs on Animal Man and Doom Patrol get all the praise, but did anyone stick with the titles after? None of those writers/arcs got collected (IIRC), but i was hoping to reread those stories too.
    Fuck yes. I need that Animal Man Omnibus too. I love that run; it got me into comics. I have read up to issue 26 when Morrison got off the title. I have like 20 issues of Doom Patrol to finish... such a crazy run.

I did not, but I've read Morrison's full run on Animal Man and it's spectacular. Jeff Lemire has done a hell of a job with the reboot of the series, but I wasn't ever really in doubt there.
    The new Animal Man is really great but nothing can touch the weirdness of Morrison's run. I dig what Lemire's doing though; his Justice League Dark stuff kills it too.

I was really happy he did the storyline that tied in so much to the new Swamp Thing book. Those are two characters who aren't, in and of themselves, great, but who have drawn some fantastic writers that have drawn out some spectacular nuances that make them fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by ods.. View Post
    The new Animal Man is really great but nothing can touch the weirdness of Morrison's run. I dig what Lemire's doing though; his Justice League Dark stuff kills it too.
    I just wiki'd JL Dark. I have really been missing out. I read a few years back about all the Vertigo titles being brought back into the regular DC continuity and at the time i thought it was a bad idea, but not following comics regularly totally forgot about this. I had no idea they were all on a team and that the book was actually good. Knowing that it's Peter Milligan, then Lemire (who I hadn't heard of before this Animal Man series) has me intrigued. I'll be picking up the TPBs very soon, thanks for the recommendation.

Jorge, if you've not explored Lemire, his Essex County graphic novels are about as essential in the world of non-superhero comics as you'll ever find. They are nothing short of spectacular.

Looks like he also wrote Sweet Tooth. I got the first couple of trades in a large lot i bought when i started rediscovering various Vertigo titles via TPB. I'm going to give those a go too.

So I know this seems crazy for most but this list has helped me a ton with the chronology of the new 52. Makes it much more fun to read and interesting as well. I'm picking and choosing my way up to "present time" now, up to #8 of Supergirl. Good shit.

http://new.dcuwiki.net/forums/viewto...b2e4329#p48926

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Looks like he also wrote Sweet Tooth. I got the first couple of trades in a large lot i bought when i started rediscovering various Vertigo titles via TPB. I'm going to give those a go too.

Yeah, Sweet Tooth was really interesting and frequently entertaining. I can't push Essex County strongly enough though. As a fan of literature and comic books, the collection of stories stands up to the best of either form.

I will def check that out^

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

It's a great time to love Thanos.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I may be the only one to ever say this, but fuck the ending to Y.
    Cried like a damn baby at that. Met Pia Guerra at a con a while back, she's super cool. This guy in the line was telling her about how he's never read the last issue because he doesn't want it to end.

Try and look past the edginess. The best part of that series is it's characters and their lives. It's a modern western, but with a hell of a lot of heart. A lot of people focus only on the big silly stuff (Jesus de Sade and an armadillo anyone?) but it's worth a closer look.

In the same vein, I've always loved Transmetropolitan.

Also I think Marvel are putting out some great stuff nowadays. Daredevil and Hawkguy are both superb.

I read the first 2 issues of infinity and I really love this shit. This event is really well written and executed in a way that sets it apart from anything after the civil war arc. Characters are true to their persona and not doing out of character things just to justify the progressing storyline. It's no coincidence that this isn't a one dimensional snooze fest and it was not written by Bendis. Thanos Rising was really enjoyable as well. I usually don't like Bianchi's work with water colors, but this time it worked. Jason Aaron is a genius the way he brings out Thanos's sick twisted side. dragging dead bodies back to his room to scream at them all night "WHY DON'T YOU LOVE ME?!!!". Good stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's a great time to love Thanos.
    Yes. Yes it is.
    09,10,12w1,13w1

Agreed on Daredevil for sure. Also, enjoying Superior Spider-Man, Wolverine And The X-Men, and Bendis' two x-titles (All-New and Uncanny). Remender's run on Captain America has also been quite a treat and a welcome departure from Brubaker's run (as in, I loved Brubaker's run, but a change of pace is nice). Also, if you liked Remender's Uncanny X-Force, his Uncanny Avengers is pretty great, and some elements of UXF carry over into UA.

As for Infinity, I'm glad to hear it's going well. I am feeling burned out by event titles (Avengers Vs. X-Men I really enjoyed, but Fear Itself and Age Of Ultron were mixed bags). If you like Infinity, I hope you are picking up Hickman's current run on Avengers. It's very head-y and cosmic, and everytime I read it I need to relax my brain for a little while. I am going to stop picking it up monthly as I think for me, it may be something I would prefer in a trade.

I really need to read Hawkeye.

Outside of Marvel, still reading Fatale and I began picking up Satellite Sam.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

I am going to split up my old long boxes into short boxes to make storing them above the closet in my new place easier. I can't believe how expensive these stupid boxes are! I called a local place and they wanted $5.25 each. I found a guy on ebay selling them cheap, 16 for $28, but it ended up being another $29 shipping (fucking are heavy for being paper, like 25 pounds). i'm probably gonna end up needing at least 20 of them. Girlfriend is anxious to have the giant pile of boxes out of the corner of our guest room.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I can only assume the boner I had every time I walked into the shop to pick up an issue of Infinity Gauntlet had NOT been easy to conceal.
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by tyles View Post
    still reading Fatale
    I am in love with this series! So fucking good! If anyone can recommend something in the same ballpark, please do.

Looks like WonderCon is back in Anaheim on April 18th - 20th. Glad they planned this the weekend I'm NOT at Coachella.
    Coachellas attended: 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 (W1), 2013 (W1)

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Theme night listing:

Thursday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Friday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Saturday Night: Woo, my parents let me out of the house!
    Sunday Night: Boo, I have to go back to my parent's house!
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    The level of sheer laziness and pure speculation and confusion about very easily found and well-known things that this board has gotten to is truly confounding.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

DUDE

Preacher is getting a pilot.

Garth Ennis and Steve Dillon‘s comic series Preacher was crazy. Not just kinda violent, kinda weird, but full-on crazy. For example, it’s got a character whose failed Kurt Cobain-emulating suicide attempt, leads to a grotesquely mangled face and the nickname “Arseface,” none of which precludes him becoming a pop superstar. It features one antagonist whose sexual proclivities turn towards the nigh-unprintable extreme, and whose body is steadily chipped away over the course of the story.

Oh, and the lead character is a small-town Texas preacher whose best friend is a junkie Irish vampire, and who is possessed of a god-like power called Genesis. That power was born of the coupling between angel and demon, and allows him to command a person to do anything with absolute authority. Like “count all the sand on this beach,” which leads one character to do exactly that. Oh, and the preacher, Jesse, wants to find God and fight him.

But if you’re AMC, which needs something to follow Breaking Bad, full-on crazy might be just the thing. And so Preacher has reportedly been ordered to pilot at the company.

Badass Digest has the report, citing a couple of anonymous sources.

Preacher has been in development as a film for years, going back to ’98. In the end, however, TV is probably the best place for it, because it’s a story that sprawls in all directions. There are flashbacks and asides and embedded arcs that explain every character in great detail in addition to a story that is just as ambitious and broad in scope as it is gutsy and wild.

As crazy as Preacher gets, however, there’s always a core set of themes, about family, friendship, and the preservation of morality in the face of pretty much the nastiest stuff you can imagine. That core prevents all the nutty stuff from totally overwhelming the storyline. The best parts of Preacher aren’t the big whackadoo situations and setpieces, but the chapters that could come to life as bottle episodes of a TV series.

All of which is to say that if this is written and cast well, it could be the best method to bring Preacher to the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

WHOA

Also, fucking Scalped is great.