Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, Comic Books

Default Re: Hey, Comic Books

Blankets is super sad and really well done. If you liked that you should read Asterios Polyp and Essex County. Both were fantastic works of fiction done in comic form.

If y'all like intense action and/or historical comics, check out the Northlanders series. They have short storylines (7 to 10 issues per story) about vikings and other cultures in the nordic areas during the early 1000s. They're wild and ranging stories and would appeal to anyone who liked the movie Valhalla Rising.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Blankets is super sad and really well done. If you liked that you should read Asterios Polyp and Essex County. Both were fantastic works of fiction done in comic form.
    Thanks for the recs bmack. I've heard quite a bit of info and praise for Asteios Polyp, I'll get it next. Care to give a rundown on the other? I'm afraid of amazon reviews. Can't deal with spoilers at all...

Also, I might be in the minority on this, but I found Blankets to be oddly hopeful.
    Last edited by cutterbutter; 03-20-2011 at 10:06 PM.

I feel like this always gets overlooked, because everyone just nerds out for Sandman so hard, but I honestly think I'm a bigger fan of Death:

Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Those Death books are both really good, quick reads. I especially liked The High Cost of Living.

Cutter, the Essex County trilogy is a trio of stories about these poor people living in a Canadian farming town. Jeff Lemire, who wrote and (I think) drew them, really gets the sadness of the area and the starkness of the barren area they're in. All three books were really great and that amazon link is to a collection that has all of them together. I'd highly recommend it: one of the best comics I've ever read.

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    I feel like this always gets overlooked, because everyone just nerds out for Sandman so hard, but I honestly think I'm a bigger fan of Death:

Those were both excellent, no doubt. Everything Gaiman touches is pure gold. His Black Orchid with Dave McKean was fantastic. Also, his original 4 part Books of Magic remains one of my all time favorites. Some of the best artwork around from Bolton, Hampton, Vess, and Johnson. When the Harry Potter books broke out, I always thought Harry looked suspiciously like Timothy Hunter.

Yay this thread took off.

Cutter, the Essex County trilogy is a trio of stories about these poor people living in a Canadian farming town. Jeff Lemire, who wrote and (I think) drew them, really gets the sadness of the area and the starkness of the barren area they're in. All three books were really great and that amazon link is to a collection that has all of them together. I'd highly recommend it: one of the best comics I've ever read.
    Sounds great. I'll grab it too. Just reading on his wiki page says he's from Canada himself, so would you say its similar to the biographical nature of Blankets?

I actually had to check and see if Jeff Lemire was the writer of Blankets because they are somewhat similar in style and art.

I actually had to check and see if Jeff Lemire was the writer of Blankets because they are somewhat similar in style and art.
    You just made me extremely excited to check this out. I always wish Craig Thompson had more work out there. Will report back on it.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Alan Moore and Gene Ha's Top 10 is another all-time favorite of mine. A grimy cop thriller set in a city where everybody is a super hero. It's amazing. The prequel graphic novel was great too.

I can contribute a lot to this thread.

Also, Batman: the Long Halloween is a must read, it makes an especially great intro to non-superhero fans to costume books
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Also, check out Mike Allred's Red Rocket 7...it's about space alien clones who became rock stars and it chronicles the histroy of rock through their eyes. it's really incredible.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

O god go slower... I need to make a list now! I love hearing about all these books I had never heard of. Always great to have another outlet to find stuff. Tomorrow I'm going to post about some of the books I've recently read. Didn't know there was an interested like this here...

Death recently appeared in a Gaiman-approved issue of Action Comics. She has a near death experience chat with none other than Lex Luthor. That was a surprise.
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

For the DC / toy nerds: Young Justice toys are at McDonald's. I can't eat that shit but I think they let you buy the toys.

The specific toys are Aqualad, Black Manta, Superman, Superboy, Captain Cold, Batman, Robin and Kid Flash.

Back in my comic collecting day I had some doooseys.

Batman 4
    Detective Comics 40
    Human Torch 2 golden age
    Shazam 1 golden ago
    Amazing Spiderman 3
    Hulk 1,2,3
    Iron Man 1
    Fantastic Four 5
    X-Men 2
    Giant Sized X-Men 1
    Daredevil 1

I had a shit ton. Now all I have left are the one Ivankay has and all the iron fist series.

Last night I did the first collection of Garth Ennis Punisher stories. Jesus christ they're violent and funny and intense and well done. Ennis was pretty much made to write that character and it works perfectly. Not since the Alan Moore Swamp Thing run has a big artisitic author written a bigger mainstream character so perfectly.

it seems more and more like swamp thing is the secret star of brightest day.

Yay this thread took off.
    This thread will probably become bigger than the Hey, Books thread in no time.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

If somebody had you make a list of universally and objectively awesome graphic novel greats that everybody simply has to read, what would be your picks?

Watchmen, Maus, From Hell, The Killing Joke... Continue this list.

I'm not sure if this thread includes Manga but I'll throw some of my favorites out there...

Gantz by Hiroya Oku - I've puachased 3 volumes of it from Amazon. It's violent and it has lots of nude women so there's a head up for you. It's the only Manga I actually own because I usually just bittorrent scans.

Berserk by Kentaro Miura - My all time favorite Manga. This also contains nudity. It is also violent and extremely twisted at some points. In my eyes it kind of makes it better. The story line is very addictive and at one point when I caught up to the current issues being made I went through a sad withdrawl from it.

I hope some of you guys are just bored enough to check it out.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

NERRRRRRDS
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I forgot to say the Japanese read from right to left.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    If somebody had you make a list of universally and objectively awesome graphic novel greats that everybody simply has to read, what would be your picks?

Watchmen, Maus, From Hell, The Killing Joke... Continue this list.
    Arkham Asylum, The Dark Night Returns, The Crow, Violent Cases...

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Also, Batman: the Long Halloween is a must read, it makes an especially great intro to non-superhero fans to costume books
    I support this
    Translation

Rufus Wainwright @ Stern Grove 07/27/14
    Xiu Xiu @ BoTH 08/01/14
    FYF @ LA Sport Area 08/23 - 08/24/14
    Swans @ The Independent 08/08/14
    Decibel Festival @ Seattle 09/24 - 09/28/14
    War on Drugs @ Fillmore 10/05/14
    Death From Above 1979 @ The Independent 11/17/14

Last.fm

I suppose, given the season that's in it, I should pimp An Sclábhaí, an Irish language novel about the early life of St. Patrick. I think there's an English translation in the works, but the dialogue is fairly sparing anyway. Comes from one of the dudes who worked on The Secret of Kells, I think.

Worth noting as a curiosity, anyway.

http://irishcomics.wikia.com/wiki/An_Scl%C3%A1bha%C3%AD

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Watchmen, Maus, From Hell, The Killing Joke...
    Batman: Year One, Kingdom Come, Sandman: Preludes and Nocturns, Superman: Red Son, V for Vendetta, Y: The Last Man: Unmanned...

honestly though, I could make a list like this of just Batman stuff. It's real hard to not include Long Halloween, Death in the Family and the Return of Bruce Wayne on this list.

One of my all time favorite books is Frank Miller and John Romita Jr's "year one" style retelling of the origin of Dardevil.

It's so griity and exciting and fast-paced, and one of the neatest things about it is that as action-packed as it is, it only actually features the Daredevil costume in one panel. Because of this I always thought it would be perfect for a straight up film adaptation.

Also Daredevil and Miller related, Elektra Lives Again is one of the most drop-dead Gorgeous books I have ever seen. it was released only as an oversized hardcover from Epic, and features what iu believe to be Millers masterwork drawings, lavishly painted by Lynne Varley. Nothing that pair did before or after would ever match this quality visually.

As a story, it's EXTREMELY confusing if you're not very familiar with Daredevil, but it's entertaining nonetheless.

X-Men: God Lives, Man Kills is one of, if not THE, most grounded and serious X-men stories, self-contained in this graphic novel. It's some of Chris Claremont's absolute strongest works in that it doesn't require years of continuity or extremely bizarre and complex science fiction concepts to realize. It took the best of what he did in creating characters deftly told a remorseful, poignant tale about racism in a way that the X-Men had been trying to do for years. It's really astounding. I love this '80s line-up of the team too.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by DANCE MAGIC View Post
    Batman: Year One, Kingdom Come, Sandman: Preludes and Nocturns, Superman: Red Son, V for Vendetta, Y: The Last Man: Unmanned...

honestly though, I could make a list like this of just Batman stuff. It's real hard to not include Long Halloween, Death in the Family and the Return of Bruce Wayne on this list.
    Yeah, Batman has been really awesome fodder for great, great talents to sink their teeth into and kind of reinvent themselves. The Batman: Black & White Anthology is a very brisk way of showing just how versatile of a character he is.
    last.fm

Has anyone been reading Morning Glories?
    http://www.usatoday.com/life/comics/...-glories_N.htm
    7/26 Au Revoir Simone @ The Roxy, 8/1 Arcade Fire, the Unicorns, Dan Deacon at the Forum, 8/2 Burger a-Go-Go, @ Observatory, 8/9 Warpaint @ Observatory, 8/10 Warpaint @ The Ace, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/11 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Chvrches @ Palladium, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

The Best Batman Graphic Novels:

The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
    Batman: Year One by Frank Miller
    All Star Batman and Robin, the Boy Wonder by Frank Miller
    The Killing Joke by Alan Moore
    The Long Halloween by Jeff Loeb
    Dark Victory by Jeff Loeb
    Batman: Hush by Jeff Loeb
    Batman and Son by Grant Morrison
    Batman RIP by Grant Morrison
    Time and the Batman by Grant Morrison
    The Return of Bruce Wayne by Grant Morrison
    Last edited by DANCE MAGIC; 03-21-2011 at 11:54 PM.