Page 2 of 18 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Hey, Comic Books

Default Re: Hey, Comic Books

Too much talk about men in tights. Anybody read any enis? Preacher?
    The White Stripes 9/18

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Finally picked up the Scott Pilgrim boxed set last week, my first comic book purchase in ages, after watching the movie again with the Bryan lee O'Malley commentary.It's funn,y when the books were first gestating, I was on an art forum that O'Malley was on and I met him a few times at various cons at parties and stuff, but I never thought to actually read his damn books. Listening to him and Edgar Wright discuss intimately how they brought the bopok to life was enough for me to finally say fuck it.

As for Ennis, yes, I have read a ton of Garth Ennis. I still haven't tried Transmetropoliton yet though...I was put off by the art for years, but have had so many people tell me to read it.

Similarly I'm a huge fan of Gran Morrison. His 25-issue run on Animal Man is still some of my very favorite in comics today.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I feel like a lot of people on this board who are not necessarily into comics would enjoy Evan Dorkin, particularly his short stories book Dork, which is some of the hardest I ever laughed at anything.

Kyle Baker is also great...Why i Hate Saturn is one of the most pleasurable things to read in any medium.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Anybody ever see the Global Frequency pilot? I think most or all of it is on Youtube.

Alright, but not great. A shame that never quite flew, it seems like a premise that would lend itself well to episodic television in a Fringe kinda way.

I think the only comic book I've read is The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, Volume I. This was recent... Oh, I also got Marvel's The Wonderful Wizard of Oz book, because it was beautiful.

I really love walking into Midtown Comics though.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

I was just about to say how this was a good thread to come into to figure out which board members are overweight, but then Drinkey showed up.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Preacher was the best. Haven't read those in ages.

So is ultimate spiderman still popular? I have all the early issues except for #1. I know some of them were really expensive for a while. Also have amazing spiderman 300.
    9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    I was just about to say how this was a good thread to come into to figure out which board members are overweight, but then Drinkey showed up.
    Yeah, I probably weigh a little over 100 pounds, myself.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Costume or Venom? i have the first appearance of the costume in Secret Wars.
    Venom.
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

I haven't been able to go back to my favourite comic shop ever since I passed out after donating blood and had to be rescued by the four different kinds of Bradford Cox working behind the counter.

Have I mentioned I want a movie of the Spider-Man "Torment" storyline?

I just read the first volume of Usagi Yojimbo, a samurai comic featuring a rabbit as the titular samurai. It's awesome; funny, violent, quick paced and entertaining. Definitely worth a read if you haven't done so before.

As far as Ennis, I've read some of Preacher and loved it, but I'm about to start his run on Punisher, which my roommate adores. I'm excited and might even do that tonight.
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Preacher and Constantine. The earlier Constantine editions were a mind fuck, a lot of those stories were psychological thrillers and damned good ones at that.
    "Give me women, wine and snuff
    Until I cry out 'hold, enough!"
    John Keats

Usagi Yojimbo was my favorite TMNT action figure.

HOLY SHIT I knew I recognized him from somewhere!
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Stan Sakai is awesome. They did some Usagi/TMNT crossovers in the comics in the '80s, which led to that action figure being made.
    last.fm

I've read The Walking Dead and I'm currently on Book 6 of Sandman. I'm not sure where I want to go after.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    PLURcenta

Quote Originally Posted by thecapsulettes View Post
    I've read The Walking Dead and I'm currently on Book 6 of Sandman. I'm not sure where I want to go after.
    there's a lot of Sandman spinoff miniseries. If you like the characters, i would recommend The Dreaming.

Bill Winningham is a great fantasy writer. I would recommend Fables and House of Mystery.

Drinkey,

LOVED Morrison's Animal Man. Did you like Doom Patrol (my personal fave) and Invisibles?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/2 Bear in Heaven@Echoplex - 9/4 Phantogram@Fox Pomona - 9/6 Atmosphere@Palladium - 9/10 Britney Spears - 9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House -

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    So is ultimate spiderman still popular?
    Naw, I don't think so. It ended a couple years back when the whole ultimate line had some dumb major event that killed off tons of characters, it relaunched as Ultimate Comics presents Spider-Man or something a year or so back, and I think they are in the middle of killing off the character right now.

I haven't gotten anything new in probably 10 years. I still have tons all boxed up and taking up room everywhere.

I was always a Batman fan, so have plenty of titles there. I got hooked back in when I was in college. I took a Humanities class on Pop Culture. We had to read The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller. I was re-hooked into the comics world. I soon after discovered The Sandman (which I consider pretty much literature), Hellblazer, Shade:The Changing Man, among many others. Was blown away by how much the industry had changed.

Quote Originally Posted by thecapsulettes View Post
    Y The Last Man is the correct answer.

Or delve into some capes and cowls for the first time.

I'd say Y or Preacher, ya. I've only read some of the towards-the-endsy Preachers, but they're great. I love some of the older Constantine stuff too.

Kylie, I think Terry Moore's Strangers In Paradise would be an interesting series for you to check out.

I also wholeheartedly recommend Adrian Tomine's Optic Nerve and Chris Ware's Acme Novelty Library

And Jorge, I have read bits and pieces of both Doom Patrol and Invisibles and really need to read them in their entirety.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    I'd say Y or Preacher, ya. I've only read some of the towards-the-endsy Preachers, but they're great. I love some of the older Constantine stuff too.
    I fully endorse Kylie following the exploits of Mr. Constantine. Hellblazer has had some great writers. Jamie Delano started it off was solid, but you also had guest spots from Gaiman, Morrison, etc. I really enjoyed the direction that Garth Ennis took with the character, as well.

Fans of Walking dead may also want to check out what i consider Kirkman's best book, Invincible...it was one of the last monthly titles I was regularly buying before I stopped buying comics. I'd really love to catch up on that series
    last.fm

Huh, I hadn't realised Runaways was on hiatus. That seems nuts.

I'm kind of a shitty comics fan in that I hate waiting for the next issue. I'd way rather pay a freaking ransom for something like the big giant From Hell TPB.

I'm kind of a shitty comics fan in that I hate waiting for the next issue. I'd way rather pay a freaking ransom for something like the big giant From Hell TPB.
    I'm in total agreement.

(forgive me if someone mentioned this already)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Fuck yah Black Hole. Eeriest comic I've ever read. I got it and another book at the same time, and I always view them as good and evil siblings in my mind.

Can't recommend it enough.

Related preposterously nerdy trivia - I hadn't realised Jo Chen did all the cover artwork for Fable 3.

I love Jo Chen.