Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New Goldenvoice Festival at Great Park in Irvine CA

Default New Goldenvoice Festival at Great Park in Irvine CA

From The Orange County Register:

Coachella founder to produce Great Park music festivals
    By BRIAN MARTINEZ
    THE ORANGE COUNTY REGISTER

IRVINE – Orange County Great Park directors on Thursday chose Goldenvoice LLC – founder of Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival – to be the park's exclusive producer and promoter of large-scale and multiday music events.

The five other bidders for the five-year agreement included Live Nation, which is the promoter for Verizon Wireless Amphitheater in Irvine, and C3 Presents, which handles Lollapalooza. The winner was determined by a point-system ranking.

Live Nation wanted exclusive rights for all events with a paid attendance over 2,500. Goldenvoice set that threshold at 12,500 people and demonstrated more experience with outdoor events and multiday festivals, Great Park officials said.

Although the final agreement has yet to be finalized, the plan is that Goldenvoice will pay the Great Park a flat fee of $750,000 per year as well as $3 per person for paid attendance between 150,000 and 299,000 per year and $5 per person for paid attendance between 300,000 and 500,000 per year.

Goldenvoice has agreed to produce one to five events per year and to contribute toward mutually beneficial improvements, such as landscaping, according to the Great Park report.

Default Re: New Goldenvoice Festival at Great Park in Irvine CA

A little sleuthing of public records indicates that Goldenvoice is planning at least one "world-class music and arts festival" per year at the Great Park site. And there is going to be some sort of branded energy drink tie-in?

Bring it!
    Upcoming Shows:
    Kasabian/Bo Ningen: 10/1 @ Metro
    Coachella: 4/10-12 @ Empire Polo Fields

Oh fuck yes. This has greatness written all over it.

This is exciting. Hope the first event happens this year. Although the commute would be ok for me from home, i wonder what the very close sleeping options will be. Camping?

whiney pain in butt

Great find! and very cool! Glad it didn't go to Live Naton.

It will be exciting to see what and who GV can bring to the OC!

Awesome! I wonder if this will be in the fall. Coachella is a good kickoff to the US festival season. Great Park would be an excellent late summer/early fall option.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

I'm really glad GV got the rights to this and not the other interested companies, the other ones would have had shitty lineups.

Quote Originally Posted by JorgeC View Post
    Awesome! I wonder if this will be in the fall. Coachella is a good kickoff to the US festival season. Great Park would be an excellent late summer/early fall option.
    I was thinking September! 8^)
    Rhythm is a dancer.

YES! STOKED!
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Oh Yay, a festival full of OC kids.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    Oh Yay, a festival full of OC kids.
    We already have that, it's called Coachella, and it's still fun despite all the OC'bags.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

touché
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

chances of aidz needlez??

From OC Weekly Blog:

Irvine Great Park Might Get Own Goldenvoice-Produced Multiday Festival
    By Vickie Chang, Fri., Mar. 18 2011 @ 9:50AM

​Hey, so it looks like the Great Park is good for something other than giant orange balloons and food trucks after all: Forwarded to me just this morning by Goldenvoice CEO Paul Tollet himself, Pollstar reports that Goldenvoice is close to inking a deal for an annual multiple day festival set in Irvine's Great Park.

As you may know, Goldenvoice is a subsidiary of AEG Live, which is responsible for bringing us other major music festivals like Coachella and Stagecoach.

Goldenvoice would pay Irvine's Great Park a flat annual rate of $750,000 in addition to a $3/person fee for "paid attendance between 150,000 and 299,000," according to the OC Register. The fee would increase to $5 a person if attendance grows to 300,00-500,000. In addition, Goldenvoice would produce anywhere from one to five events a year.

While nothing is solid yet, Pollstar also reports that the OC Great Park directors "gave Goldenvoice 'a vote of confidence'" yesterday.

Live Nation and C3 are also in the running to produce the annual festival.

Keep watching this space for details as they develop.

PollstarPro has an article too, but I don't have access because I'm not a member. Anyone have a membership and want to go get the article for us?

How big is the great park...?
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

It's big enough to have the potential to host a 500,000 person festival, so it has got to be fairly big.

Wikipedia says 4,682 total acres (7.32 square miles).

its gunna be big... its being built on the old El Toro Marine base.

somewhere in that green and blue area.

Coachella 07 (the introduction), 08 (the bands), 09 (the documentary), 10 (the people i came with), 11 (the relationship test... we passed), 12 (whatever the weather, Dirty Epic forever), 13 (the year of the troll)

- PEARL JAM WHY YOU HATE COACHELLA? -

I just realized this is the former El Toro Marine Station. They were going to convert it into an international airport, and then a housing development. This is a great story now that they've settled on a giant park.

Great Park w/ Music Festivals > Giant Park > Housing Developments > International Airport > Marine Station in the middle of OC

*based upon tedious fact checking.

I was gonna say . . . you guys realize there isn't really a park out there yet? It could be years.

Article from PollstarPro. Speculation so far.

BREAKING: GOLDENVOICE NEAR DEAL FOR FEST
    AEG Live subsidiary Goldenvoice, known for the Coachella Valley Music & Arts Festival and Stagecoach country music fest, is putting the final touches to a deal that will bring a multiday festival to the Great Park in Irvine, Calif.

Goldenvoice CEO Paul Tollett told Pollstar the Orange County Great Park directors gave Goldenvoice a “vote of confidence” March 17, but nobody has signed on the dotted line just yet. It’s a little early in the game. If Goldenvoice is looking at a festival like Coachella, or something completely different, it's hard to say. According to Tollett, Goldenvoice will begin the creative process in the weeks and months to come.
    “I can see the park from my house,” Tollett said. “I’m pretty excited. No. I am excited.”
    Goldenvoice will pay the Great Park a flat fee of $750,000 per year as well as $3 per person for paid attendance between 150,000 and 299,000 per year, according to the Orange County Register. The payment climbs to $5 per head for attendance between 300,000 and 500,000. Goldenvoice has agreed to produce one to five events per year and contribute to improvements to the park.
    Live Nation and C3 were among the companies also bidding for the contract.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    I was gonna say . . . you guys realize there isn't really a park out there yet? It could be years.
    patience

So glad to see El Toro getting some fucking use. Thing's been dead for what, 10 years?

Are they using the hangars for mad ballz raving?
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

If they are mentioning 6fig+ attendance, they are trying to compete with Glastonbury...
    COACHELLA 2014

Not a problem.
    LOL! <33
    Quote Originally Posted by Zafocaine View Post
    Great advertising strategy for her vagina though! As if having a vagina weren't all a vagina needed. Now introducing the Lustful Scorned Lover scent, by RSW.

Pretty sure those numbers would be for the total of all the events they end up doing, rather than one massive one. "Goldenvoice has agreed to produce one to five events per year "

The idea that this could end up being a 500,000 person festival is absurd.

Quote Originally Posted by Thisismyname View Post
    Pretty sure those numbers would be for the total of all the events they end up doing, rather than one massive one. "Goldenvoice has agreed to produce one to five events per year "

The idea that this could end up being a 500,000 person festival is absurd.
    Ahhh I didn't see the per year.

I mean though... if they could commandeer some of the space.... w/o ever touching the agricultural part or even coming close it, you have a ridiculous amount of space, ample parking, 3 full soccer fields, festival area, I mean... honestly they could easily and I mean easily beat Glastonbury's 150k+ attendance.
    COACHELLA 2014