Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Official Mist Thread

Default Official Mist Thread

I know a few of us have talked about misters, so what's your mist set up?

I know Baily was selling a mist rig, and I can build you one if you need one as well.

For those setting up a hand pump rig, they are selling hand pumps on sale right now at Harbor Freight.

One might be able to make one using a basic fountain pump from harbor freight as well.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Default Re: Official Mist Thread

Here's my set up, and it works PERFECTLY, for under $30! Will attach it to my EZ-up canopy. It comes with 10 feet (6 nozzles) of misting line (perfect for one side of my EZ up) and another 10 feet of non-misting line to run down to the ground/handpump.

I bought this mister system (6 nozzles, $13) It normally is intended to hook into a garden hose, so I just cut off the garden hose connector end, and easily adapted it to my pump.
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

and this 2 gallon hand pump (45 PSI, $18)
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

I know there are cheaper 2 gallon pumps and various sizes, like the one you (Dustin) linked on Harbor Freight, but the closest HF to me is an hour away so I just felt like going to my local Home Depot. These are the ONLY 2 things I bought, (no adapters, no additional tubing, no clamps, no sealant, nothing at all etc) and my system is amazing. Well actually I also bought a better-fitting rubber O-ring, as you'll see in the pictures below, but those cost pennies.

With this setup, it's probably about a pump a minute, so 25 pumps lasts 25 minutes, 10 pumps 10 minutes, etc! This is a very simple, perfectly working solution. Pumping is effortless, I can easily see myself sitting under my EZ-up in a chair, and without even getting out of my chair just reaching over and pumping a few times to keep it flowing! It also only took like 5 minutes to put together.

Here is the finished result that I will attach to my EZ-up

A closer look at the beautiful conjoining of the pump to the mister. The valve has a built-in locking mechanism so I can keep the valve open and mist coming without having to physically squeeze the trigger for mist.

And heres what the connection actually looks like... there is absolutely no dripping or loss of pressure! I bought an O-ring that fits snugly on the mist tube, and then just used the screw cap that came with the pump system (the screw cap came with the pump, and was intended to use to attach the various spray nozzles that came with the pump).

I would not attempt trying to use an electric fountain pump to hook up to a mister... I started doing some research and you basically would need a VERY POWERFUL fountain pump to create enough pressure. You need about 45 psi to operate the mister (if there isn't enough pressure, the water dripples/drips out, instead of creating a fine mist). Most of these cheap fountain pumps have a head height (basically the distance that the pump can push water vertically) of anywhere between 2-8 feet. To figure PSI, you take the head height in feet, and multiply by 0.434.
    So for example, here is a $70 pond pump,
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 (560 gallons per hour)
    that has a head height of 14.3 feet. 14.3ft x 0.434 = 6.2 PSI! Not even close to 45 PSI. You would need a fountain pump capable of pushing water 90 feet high to get that kind of pressure!
    You could always get this
    http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053 but seriously? $400 for mist, not including a method to power it?

So long story short, just get a hand pump. It is light, cheap, easy, and it works, because I bought it, assembled it, tested it, and it works perfectly.

You're welcome. See you at Coachella!
    Last edited by lovethelake; 03-18-2011 at 11:22 AM.

Harbor Freight has a similar hand pump on sale for 14.99 then use this 67342287 <- 20% off coupon and it's $12.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

What's your set up Dustin?

Quote Originally Posted by lovethelake View Post
    What's your set up Dustin?
    Almost identical to that. I was waiting for my Home Depot to get the mist nozzles but I set mine up almost exactly to that.

Apparently my home depot has 20 of them though, so i'll swoop by this weekend.
    COACHELLA 2014

This might be an incredible coincidence, but my Home Depot that I picked mine up from has 20 of them, and then literally no other Home Depot within hours has them. Are you in the bay area? Referring to the Home Depot in Brentwood?

Also, how much non-drinking water (for mist, showers, cooking, etc) are you bringing, and in what containers?

This might be an incredible coincidence, but my Home Depot that I picked mine up from has 20 of them, and then literally no other Home Depot within hours has them. Are you in the bay area? Referring to the Home Depot in Brentwood?

Also, how much non-drinking water (for mist, showers, cooking, etc) are you bringing, and in what containers?
    No I'm in so cal actually, and a bunch of home depots are sold out, and what bothers me I asked Home Depot a few weeks ago if they had these and they said they didn't but I have the product number so I'll go to customer service.

And it's looking like it can go through about 2 gallons in roughly 15-20min... the main day it will be used is Thursday and Monday during pack up, but Fri-Sun I wont be using it that much if at all. SO maybe like... 3hrs on Thursday and 1.5 hrs (if that, Monday) plus we'll say a half hour a day... that's like

6hrs X 4 (splitting hours into quarters) = 24 x 2 (gallons) = 48 gallons/per quarter for all of Coachella

Now that's continued use. So... if you spaced the misting down, you could probably get by with more in the neighborhood of 38 or so.

To be honest I'll probably bring in the neighborhood of like... 20-30gallons because of weight, and just make due.

Now... here is another idea I had... you get those giant arrowhead bottles (for water dispensers) and you bring like 2 of those with you, that's 10 gallons.

So that gives you 5 gallons Thursday, 5 Gallons Friday. Re-up at Ralph's Saturday and you're set for the rest of the fest.

As for other water i'm bringing in small 1 gallon containers, that water is for cleaning dishes and the solar shower.

What I really suggest is going to Harbor Freight and getting reflective tarp for the other side of the canopy wall. That gives you the full canopy plus shade to the other side. That will make the canopy nice and cool, so you won't be misting constantly. And if it's another 100+ degree year, our misting won't compare to the Do Lab.

( you can see in the picture the water dispensers)

Last edited by Dustin da DnB Soulja; 03-18-2011 at 01:24 PM.
    COACHELLA 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin da DnB Soulja View Post
    No I'm in so cal actually, and a bunch of home depots are sold out, and what bothers me I asked Home Depot a few weeks ago if they had these and they said they didn't but I have the product number so I'll go to customer service.
    My local Home Depot (according to the website) said they had 20 in stock... I called them the day I went to buy it, gave them the store SKU#, and they confirmed they had 20 in stock. When I showed up, and asked some random associates where I could find their misters they said those were seasonal and that they wouldn't be in for months. I gave them the SKU#, and they looked it up, and to their surprise, they were like "apparently we have 20 of them in section XXXX, let me take you there now". Wasn't that simple. Yes, they were scanned in by the receiving department, but they weren't placed on the shelves yet, and certainly weren't in the section that the computers said they were. Long story short, and 15 minutes later of manual searching and scanning identical looking boxes with numbers scribbled all over them, we finally found them high up on some storage shelf (way up high above the shelves where processed, cataloged, priced merchandise is) in an unopened unmarked box. But I eventually got it.

And it's looking like it can go through about 2 gallons in roughly 15-20min... the main day it will be used is Thursday and Monday during pack up, but Fri-Sun I wont be using it that much if at all. SO maybe like... 3hrs on Thursday and 1.5 hrs (if that, Monday) plus we'll say a half hour a day... that's like

6hrs X 4 (splitting hours into quarters) = 24 x 2 (gallons) = 48 gallons/per quarter for all of Coachella

Now that's continued use. So... if you spaced the misting down, you could probably get by with more in the neighborhood of 38 or so.
    Really? 2 gallons in 15-20 minutes? My setup with the 2 gallon pump will easily last at least an hour, maybe closer to an hour and a half. though I don't pump it 20-25 pumps, because they it really goes through a lot of water with that pressure, instead I pump it like 10-15 times, albeit more often, and the 2 gallon tank easily lasts an hour. That is bizarre that yours goes through that much water if our setups are almost identical, because seriously, the 2 gallons lasts 1.5 hours. Considering what time I'm arriving Thursday, by the time I'm set up it will be evening and cooler out anyway, so I probably won't need it at all Thursday. Friday/Saturday/Sunday, I'll probably only use it a little bit in the morning, and then for about an hour each of those days when we are actually back at the campsite for lunch. It sounds like you are going to be using your mister almost constantly, but I honestly think 30 gallons for the entire weekend is a generous estimate for misting and solar showers, for me and my camp spot (4 people). Those giant plastic 5 gallon bottles that you mentioned are a great idea, although I have no idea where to buy them. I may also just get 2 of these collapsing containers, which also hold 5 gallons.
    http://www.rei.com/product/708992

What I really suggest is going to Harbor Freight and getting reflective tarp for the other side of the canopy wall. That gives you the full canopy plus shade to the other side. That will make the canopy nice and cool, so you won't be misting constantly.
    Link? Have you used this reflective tarp in the past? I was worried about breath-ability on using tarp, so I was just planning on getting some CHEAP bed sheets ( I figure some cheap low thread-count sheets will basically have like a million little holes for fresh air to seep through, but please correct me if I'm wrong)
    Or are bed sheets as EZup walls not that effective and a bad idea?
    I have no experience with walls, we only had an EZup last year.
    Do you use that tarp on just one side of the EZup? Or all 4 walls? or 2? Or maybe even perhaps 3? Again, I have no experience with walls on the EZup but I feel like 4 is too much (like baking trapped air in an oven) and 1 is too little. Or is it?
    Last edited by lovethelake; 03-18-2011 at 02:56 PM.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I wish I wasn't too lazy minded to make a set up like above

Thanks...I bought that mist tubing at Dicks Sporting Goods because it was on clearance for $5, and couldn't figure out how I was going to make it work.

We tarp off a few sides of our E-Z ups, and air flow has never been a problem.

Leave the side facing the scorecards open (wind always seems to blow from that direction). We zip-tie the edges of the tarps to the legs of the E-z Up but leave some gaps so wind can get through. You can also kinda roll up the tarps part way (we stick an extra chair or cooler under it) if the breeze dies down and you want more air flow.

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood Creep View Post
    I wish I wasn't too lazy minded to make a set up like above
    Baily was selling a set up, and if that doesn't work out, let me know I can make you a set up like that.
    COACHELLA 2014

Laugh, it seriously takes 5 minutes to create, and everything can be bought at one store, for cheap. Find a home depot with an In and Out next to it to justify leaving the couch.

Really? 2 gallons in 15-20 minutes? My setup with the 2 gallon pump will easily last at least an hour, maybe closer to an hour and a half. though I don't pump it 20-25 pumps, because they it really goes through a lot of water with that pressure, instead I pump it like 10-15 times, albeit more often, and the 2 gallon tank easily lasts an hour. That is bizarre that yours goes through that much water if our setups are almost identical, because seriously, the 2 gallons lasts 1.5 hours. Considering what time I'm arriving Thursday, by the time I'm set up it will be evening and cooler out anyway, so I probably won't need it at all Thursday. Friday/Saturday/Sunday, I'll probably only use it a little bit in the morning, and then for about an hour each of those days when we are actually back at the campsite for lunch. It sounds like you are going to be using your mister almost constantly, but I honestly think 30 gallons for the entire weekend is a generous estimate for misting and solar showers, for me and my camp spot (4 people). Those giant plastic 5 gallon bottles that you mentioned are a great idea, although I have no idea where to buy them. I may also just get 2 of these collapsing containers, which also hold 5 gallons.
    http://www.rei.com/product/708992

Link? Have you used this reflective tarp in the past? I was worried about breath-ability on using tarp, so I was just planning on getting some CHEAP bed sheets ( I figure some cheap low thread-count sheets will basically have like a million little holes for fresh air to seep through, but please correct me if I'm wrong)
    Or are bed sheets as EZup walls not that effective and a bad idea?
    I have no experience with walls, we only had an EZup last year.
    Do you use that tarp on just one side of the EZup? Or all 4 walls? or 2? Or maybe even perhaps 3? Again, I have no experience with walls on the EZup but I feel like 4 is too much (like baking trapped air in an oven) and 1 is too little. Or is it?

I'll double check how much the mister uses I could have completely over-shot my water consumption (seems like it)

http://www.harborfreight.com/9-ft-6-...lin-30874.html
    http://www.harborfreight.com/11-ft-4...lin-67703.html

And i'd only put the tarp on the side the sun is coming up on, no need to close off the whole thing IMO.

and then at check out use code 12431748 for 20% off.

and if you find something else to buy equaling 19.99

http://www.retailmenot.com/view/harborfreight.com

here is a bunch of free stuff you can pick up.
    COACHELLA 2014

I'm going to be making one of the systems lovethelake has. Exactly what I've been looking for.

Quote Originally Posted by fear_the_tree View Post
    I'm going to be making one of the systems lovethelake has. Exactly what I've been looking for.
    Much easier than the electrical systems.
    COACHELLA 2014

Okay...this might be a stupid question but how are u guys attaching the misters to your canopy?

Quote Originally Posted by vdubshani View Post
    Okay...this might be a stupid question but how are u guys attaching the misters to your canopy?
    The misting hose comes with clips, but you can also zip tie the cord to the frame of the canopy
    COACHELLA 2014

The misting hose comes with clips, but you can also zip tie the cord to the frame of the canopy

I'm fairly convinced you can take over the world with zip ties and duct tape.

I bought the sprayer bottle today...I hope I got the right size o-rings. Will try it out tomorrow.

The Oring I got was labeled as a size #5, whatever that means. Upon further inspection of the little package that the Orings came in, it said they had an OD outer diameter of 3/8" and an ID inner diameter of 1/4". And it fits perfectly. Though it should be pointed out that my mister system that I linked to in the 2nd post, is labeled as a 1/4" system. I bring this up because the same brand also has an almost identical system that you can buy but is a 3/8" diameter, which is obviously slightly bigger than my 1/4" system.

I'm not sure if those mist system measurements (1/4 vs 3/8) refer to the OD or ID, nor do I care because mine already works perfectly, but just sayin, I have the Orbit 1/4" mister system, and the #5 Oring fits perfectly.

Hope this helps, let me know how it goes.

I did this last year and I can confirm that fountain pump simply are not powerful enough. I had a few laying around and that was my first idea.

If you have access to an old refrigerator or RO water filter though those pumps work GREAT. They are powerful enough and they have a sensor that tells them what pressure to pump to then turns them off. I found a pump on craigslist and then bought a new 60psi sensor from the manufacturer for mine.

Much better than pumping by hand.
    Coachella 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12A, 13A

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

so what's your mist set up?
    drinking cold beer

Success

Same set up as above. Ran about 80 minutes on 2 gallons. The o-rings I bought turned out to be too small, but I stretched them over the tubing anyway, then added the o-ring that came with the sprayer wand (which was too big on it's own). Amazingly, they kind of locked together and don't leak at all.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    Success

Same set up as above. Ran about 80 minutes on 2 gallons.
    Glad it worked out. The system is so simple but brilliant. I have a funny feeling we are going to see a lot of setups like ours at camping this year because of this thread...

HOLY SHIT! Guys.... The 2gallon misting tank can duel as a shower. Unhook your mist rig, apply the spray nozzle back on....
    COACHELLA 2014

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    Success

Same set up as above. Ran about 80 minutes on 2 gallons. The o-rings I bought turned out to be too small, but I stretched them over the tubing anyway, then added the o-ring that came with the sprayer wand (which was too big on it's own). Amazingly, they kind of locked together and don't leak at all.

80 min?! thats impressive! nice

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/allRe...ct_id=10098757

This is the cheapest I've found of these, and they seem like they will work for the weekend.
    COACHELLA 2014

To quote PF from four years ago, I'm curious about wet grass. Do the misters end up making mud and puddles or is the volume of water so small that it's no big deal?

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    i hate that there isnt lots of mud caused by the lack of misters everywhere. i love mud.
    Quote Originally Posted by dj12inches View Post
    What makes me qualified? I've watched EVERY fucking episode of American Idol, and every single episode of The Voice...Forget that I won departmental music awards when I was in the 8th grade choir.

Quote Originally Posted by PlayaDelWes View Post
    To quote PF from four years ago, I'm curious about wet grass. Do the misters end up making mud and puddles or is the volume of water so small that it's no big deal?
    The water will like evaporate in just a few minutes with Indio heat. I mean if that was the case, the Do Lab would look like Lollapalooza and be completely mud.

Still suggest getting a small kiddy pool though if you're going to use the spray bottle for a shower.
    COACHELLA 2014