Page 6 of 29 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Bjork is back (with a 30ft pendulum)

Default Re: Bjork is back (with a 30ft pendulum)

Was looking in to checking her out in Iceland.... so expensive though. Damn. Had some tickets in the checkout too. Hopefully Ill be able to check out Biophilia some day.
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

That song sounds like Volta and Medúlla spliced together, and I'm kind of down with that.

Setlist from Sat.

1.Thunderbolt
    2.Moon
    3.Crystalline
    4.Hollow
    5.Dark Matter
    6.Hidden Place
    7.Mouth's Cradle
    8.Isobel
    9.Virus
    10.Jóga
    11.Sacrifice
    12.Sonnets/Unrealities XI
    13.Where Is the Line?
    14.Mutual Core
    15.Cosmogony
    16.Solstice

Encore:
    17.One Day
    18.Hyperballad
    19.Pluto
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

Who on this board is ready to spend $800.....

Biophilia is an interdisciplinary exploration of the universe and its physical forces—particularly those where music, nature, and technology meet—inspired by these relationships between musical structures and natural phenomena, from the atomic to the cosmic. The Independent on Sunday calls it "brilliantly original and ambitious."

The Biophilia Ultimate Edition, presented in a lacquered and silkscreened oak-hinged lid case, consists of the Biophilia Manual along with 10 chrome-plated tuning forks, silkscreened on one face in 10 different colors, stamped at the back, and presented in a flocked tray. Each fork is adjusted to the tone of a Biophilia track, covering a complete octave in a non-conventional scale:

A 220 Hz
    B 246.9 Hz
    C 261.6 Hz
    Db 277.2 Hz
    D 293.7 Hz
    Eb 311.1 Hz
    E 329.6 Hz
    Gb 370 Hz
    G 392 Hz
    A 440 Hz

The Manual is removed from the case by means of a ribbon pull. Each case comes with an individual numbered certificate. The Biophilia Ultimate Edition will be made to order and fabricated only once. Orders must be collected by August 12.

Björk continues to unveil Biophilia, her most interdisciplinary project to date, with today’s release of the Biophilia App for iPad, iPhone and iPod touch and first two album singles "Cosmogony" and "Crystalline" on the iTunes Store. The full Biophilia album will be released on September 27, 2011, through One Little Indian / Nonesuch Records; the five physical versions are available for pre-order now in the Nonesuch Store, including the custom-made Biophilia Manual and Ultimate Edition.

The groundbreaking director and longtime Björk collaborator Michel Gondry is also creating a music video for “Crystalline,” which will be premiered on YouTube on July 26.

Biophilia is a multi-media project, comprising a studio album, an app, a new website, custom-made musical instruments, live shows, and educational workshops. Björk has collaborated with app developers, scientists, writers, inventors, musicians, and instrument makers to create a unique exploration of the universe and its physical forces—particularly those where music, nature and technology meet. The project is inspired by and explores these relationships between musical structures and natural phenomena, from the atomic to the cosmic.

Biophilia comprises five elements:

I. ALBUM

The songs from Biophilia will be released as a traditional 10-track studio album, digitally and physically, on September 27. The songs’ subject matter is the natural world. The album was produced by Björk. (The songs also will be featured in the Biophilia App, but with a more stripped-down structure, mixed by Damian Taylor and Björk for educational and gaming purposes.)

All five physical versions of the album may be pre-ordered in the Nonesuch Store: on CD in distinct jewel-case and digipak versions and on vinyl as well as two custom-made editions—the Biophilia Manual, which presents the music in a 48-page cloth-bound, thread-sewn hardback book, and the Ultimate Edition, which includes the Manual along with 10 tuning forks, each representing the tone of a track on the album. Both custom-made pieces will be available to pre-order till August 12 only. For additional details and to order now, visit nonesuch.com/store/bjork.

II. APP

The Biophilia App serves as a platform within which each of the album's ten songs will become available as special audiovisual features via In-App Purchase in intervals leading up to the album's release. The free app includes an introduction to the Biophilia App project, interactive elements and the first audiovisual feature, "Cosmogony." The second audiovisual feature, "Crystalline," is now available via In-App Purchase.

Each feature has its own theme (in connection with its corresponding song) and combines a natural element with a musicological feature. The layers of content in each feature include: an interactive game based on the song’s scientific and musical subject matter, a musical animation of the song, an animated score, lyrics, and an academic essay. The game enables the user to interact with musical elements of the song and to learn about different musical features while creating their own version; the musical animation and animated music score bring together conventional and innovative ways of representing music visually; and the academic essay explores the ideas behind each song and feature and how they are realized musically.

The Biophilia App and its features have been developed with a team chosen by Björk, comprising ten of the most groundbreaking and commercially successful app developers working today. The team is lead by Scott Snibbe Studio, creator of the bestselling apps Gravilux and Bubble Harp, and includes the creator of Sim City, TouchPress (pioneering designers behind the two top grossing apps Elements and Solar System), and a host of award winning designers, animators and leading experts in coding and encryption.

The Biophilia App is available for free from the App Store on iPad, iPhone and iPod touch or at itunes.com/apps/biophilia.

III. LIVE SHOWS

The Biophilia live show had its world premiere on June 30 as part of the Manchester International Festival and continues as a three-year tour of six-week residencies in eight international cities. In each city, Björk will perform Biophilia twice a week, playing a set of custom-built musical instruments and evoking an atmosphere similar to being inside each feature in the app. For the rest of the week, the venues will host a series of music-education workshops in collaboration with local schools.

Björk has commissioned a set of unique musical instruments to accompany her on the live tour. The team who created these instruments includes an English inventor, an Icelandic organ builder, and a recent graduate of MIT Media Lab. Among these creations are four 10-foot pendulum-harps, in which the swinging motion plucks the strings and illustrates the songs’ gravitational subject matter. Other instruments played in the show include a 10-foot pin barrel harp called the Sharpsichord, a midi-controlled pipe organ and celeste (re-fitted with bronze gamelan bars), twin musical tesla coils, and a Hang; an award-winning 24-piece Icelandic female choir rounds out the ensemble. The Biophilia live show takes place in carefully chosen spaces and museums rather than traditional music venues. Björk will perform in the round to audiences of fewer than 2,000 people to create an intimate experience in which all audience members are within 20 feet of the stage.

IV. DOCUMENTARY

A 90-minute documentary on the Biophilia project is currently being filmed by Pulse Films. This exploration of Björk’s creative process as she puts together the different elements of the project will show her at work in the rehearsals for the live show and in the studio working on the album, along with observational footage, interviews, and demonstrations. The climax of the film will be the unveiling of her project at the Manchester International Festival. The documentary will be broadcast later in the Biophilia campaign.

V. WEBSITE

Björk's official website, bjork.com, has been re-launched for Biophilia using the latest HTML5 technology. The new site is animated, interactive and serves as a hub for Biophilia information.

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/bjor...ore-2011-07-19

4/14 Scuba/Francois K @ Cielo
    4/15 Daniel Rossen @ MHOW
    4/16 Carl Cox @ Output
    4/17 Loop @ LPR
    4/18 Lauren Garnier @ Output

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Not it.

Setlist, however, looks good.

Cover art of the new album.

4/17 - Mogwai - El Rey (?)
    4/27 - Ghost BC - Fonda (?)
    4/29 - Franz Ferdinand - Wiltern (?)
    4/30 - Mono - Troubadour (?)
    5/03 - Philip Glass - Royce Hall

Quote Originally Posted by ThomThom View Post
    I want to get the members of Brand New and Chvrches in a line and have all of them executed in front of their fans.
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

The App is live on the app store, if it hasn't been mentioned already.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

The app looks really neat. The mother app is free, but you pay $1.99 if you want the only other one available right now (Crystaline).
    I like when you zoom into the constellations or whatever it is, vocals and sounds fade in and out.
    And I thought this was an ipad only thing, but its for iphone too.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

I'dDoItAllAgain

The Biophilia Ultimate Edition, presented in a lacquered and silkscreened oak-hinged lid case, consists of the Biophilia Manual along with 10 chrome-plated tuning forks, silkscreened on one face in 10 different colors, stamped at the back, and presented in a flocked tray.

The Manual is removed from the case by means of a ribbon pull. Each case comes with an individual numbered certificate. The Biophilia Ultimate Edition will be made to order and fabricated only once. Orders must be collected by August 12.
    Want this. Want it SO BAD.

The groundbreaking director and longtime Björk collaborator Michel Gondry is also creating a music video for “Crystalline,” which will be premiered on YouTube on July 26.

Good lord, I love getting these emails:

björk here

i have been looking forward to today.

crystalline and cosmogony are being released on vinyl, cd and download and also as apps for iphone and ipad.

if you are interested biophilia is available to pre-order too!

cosmogony is the mother app and as many mothers is priceless : she is a solarsystem you can navigate and explore . certain . in crystalline you travel through tunnels and collect crystals to make your own structure of the song.

each song on the album has an app and will become a part of the constellation as time goes by.

finally you can see what we have been working on for so long.

all the warmth

björk

$800 for the ultimate edition.. good god. I'd love a vinyl of crystalline though.

I'dDoItAllAgain

The fact that only one, numbered batch will be made and it will probably increase its value over time makes it oh-so-tempting.

But it's 800 fucking dollars. FML.

Oh, and...

Last edited by I'dDoItAllAgain; 07-25-2011 at 09:50 AM.

I can haz Bjork financing plan?

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Reminds me a little of The Anchor Song. I like it.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Some Omar Souleyman rmx's. They are interesting on first listen, for sure. I need to listen some more to really determine if the combination works or not.

^okay, this one is pretty awesome

Can Björk just announce the dates & presale already?

Kthxbai.

Not really. Its a 3 year undertaking? So if we are lucky, its next year?

NOVEMBER ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

After the Iceland shows?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

here's the official video for Crystalline

April 22 - Thee Silver Mt. Zion Memorial
    April 24 - Godflesh / Mogwai
    April 26 - Cloud Nothings
    May 1 - Ghost
    May 2-4 - Austin Psych Fest
    May 23 - Saint Vitus
    May 27 - Fu Manchu
    June 6-8 - X Games Concerts
    June 12-14 - Sónar Barcelona
    June 27 - Deafheaven / Swans

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Muse might as well named themselves the Pablo Honeys.

Wheelchair Epidemic hawkingvsreeve's Avatar

Uh.

No. No no no.

This, however:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    Giant. Fucking. Bjork. Buttons.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by hawkingvsreeve View Post
    Uh.

No. No no no.

This, however:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Yes.
    Word up, B-Dawg
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

Nice video!
    I know it's hard, but try not to turn into GPS. It is just unfortunate for us all.

^ WIN

I like it, but Bjork's inclusion in the video feels like an afterthought.

Yeah, I wish we got to see her dance more in the air bubbles at the end

I'dDoItAllAgain

Her face in that ball of light and the outfit she's wearing is sure to freak out the people who are not familiar with her, though.