Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: people with ebay experience(no this isn't about tickets)

Default Re: people with ebay experience(no this isn't about tickets)

Priority mail with insurance to cover the value is .70 less than my guesstimate. That bitch can bite me. I'm not changin' nothin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    See that guy in the background talking loudly about crab cakes? That's you.

You can charge as much shipping and handling as you want, so long as it's not a transparent ploy to avoid PayPal fees - even then I have complained to eBay about excessive shipping, and they've never done anything. For example, you have a $10 item to sell, you start at bidding at $1 and put shipping at $10 above what it costs to ship - that way you at least break even.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I've sold hundreds of things on ebay and at this point only offer "free shipping". I put that in quotes because I really am adding at least some amount for shipping into the sale price. You're also much more likely to get a positive rating from the buyer if you offered free shipping because they won't feel like they were cheated if they estimate the shipping charge lower.

Some sellers (usually international sellers) jack up the shipping charges and figure people will figure that into their bid amount because ebay only charges commission on the sale price, not the shipping. Great in theory but high shipping prices just really irritate people.

If you put two auctions up for the same exact item, one for $80+$20 and the other for $100+free shipping, the latter will wind up being purchased probably 5x more often.

But really it's worth your time to cut a deal and offer free shipping even if it costs you a little more because in the end you'll sell shit much quicker.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Yep, that's pretty much the point I was making. And honestly, i feel the same way when I am purchasing. $5 and under for shipping is generally incidental for an item that costs $20 or over. Once you get over that it starts to just seem really expensive, even though that is in fact how much it costs to ship. Unfortunately it really does cost $20 to ship a lot of things, and as a seller you want the added protection of insurance and tracking just to cover your ass. But that gets expensive and the seller is getting fees all over the place now. And be aware as well that ebay not only charges listing and final value fees, but they ALSO get a piece out of your shipping price, which is fucking ridiculous.

I recently sold about $1000 of collectibles, and it was the first time I've sold anything in probably 2 years (I used to work for a store selling things on ebay full time and have bought a sold a lot of collectibles personally as well) and I ended up learning the hard way about a number of things, like how much people are willing to pay for things, how expensive USPS has gotten, how bitchy people cna get, fucking fee structures, etc.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

So all four items sold at a pretty decent price. Overall I'm pleased, but mostly happy that I probably won't be doing this again for like, ever. This was the last of my household purge, the only things I couldn't sell locally on craigslist.

And yeah, those ebay and paypal fees definitely do take out a nice little chunk, don't they? O_o

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    So all four items sold at a pretty decent price. Overall I'm pleased, but mostly happy that I probably won't be doing this again for like, ever. This was the last of my household purge, the only things I couldn't sell locally on craigslist.

And yeah, those ebay and paypal fees definitely do take out a nice little chunk, don't they? O_o
    Well, that second yacht just doesn't buy itself, you know

Yeah. Omidyar and Musk aren't billionaires for nothing.

How concerned should I be if my most expensive item has not been paid yet? The other three have all been paid/shipped. I sent the buyer a message last night after 2 1/2 days (I did not set up unpaid item assistant when I set up the listing). This person has been buying/selling during this timeframe, so it's not like she would not have been aware the auction ended days ago or have not seen my message.

I am thinking of sending her another message at noon asking if she would like to cancel the transaction, or if she is having trouble making the payment, and if so, to please contact me immediately. If she doesn't respond to that by tonight, I'll then open the unpaid item assistant and have the system give her 2 more days. Does that sound reasonable? I'd like to offer it to the second chance bidder in time for xmas, and this will be cutting it very close. GAH.

Quote Originally Posted by HowToDisappear View Post
    How concerned should I be if my most expensive item has not been paid yet? The other three have all been paid/shipped. I sent the buyer a message last night after 2 1/2 days (I did not set up unpaid item assistant when I set up the listing). This person has been buying/selling during this timeframe, so it's not like she would not have been aware the auction ended days ago or have not seen my message.

I am thinking of sending her another message at noon asking if she would like to cancel the transaction, or if she is having trouble making the payment, and if so, to please contact me immediately. If she doesn't respond to that by tonight, I'll then open the unpaid item assistant and have the system give her 2 more days. Does that sound reasonable? I'd like to offer it to the second chance bidder in time for xmas, and this will be cutting it very close. GAH.
    just open a case. Let ebay deal with it.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I would message her saying that if you don't hear back within a day you will be offering it to the second chance bidder for the reason previously named.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

get ebay involved.

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I would message her saying that if you don't hear back within a day you will be offering it to the second chance bidder for the reason previously named.
    The problem is you can't simply do that on your own. ebay has to allow that and it's best to have the ball rolling with them from the outset. Opening a case doesn't hurt anyone's ebay reputation as long as things progress smoothly, and the advantage is ebay now watches all the messages and tracks the timing automatically.

I've dealt with a bunch of problem buyers over the years. This is what ebay takes their fee for. Let them earn it.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Also, even though we are so used to getting paid immediately nowadays, 3 days isn't that long. Did you set it to Paypal only, or is it possible this person is going to be sending you a check or money order?
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Case opened.

Paypal only.

Also, I haven't received any sort of response, which makes me wary.

I always state in the description that payment be made within 3 days. No reason it should take any longer.

Welp, opening a case is a lot more effective than politely worded messages. Paid and closed.

Don't worry too much about bidders who delay in payment, second chance offer folks usually always swoop it up.

Usually bidders with negative feedback don't even get allowed to bid on certain sellers items