Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Meal Ideas

Default Re: Meal Ideas

Hmmmmm this all makes me want to re-think my groups camping diet from the last 2 years which has consisted of peanut butter sandwiches and mandarin oranges..... what kind of grill are you guys using? and how do you guys keep your meat so that it doesn't go bad?

Quote Originally Posted by fredbull View Post
    Hmmmmm this all makes me want to re-think my groups camping diet from the last 2 years which has consisted of peanut butter sandwiches and mandarin oranges..... what kind of grill are you guys using? and how do you guys keep your meat so that it doesn't go bad?
    I'm bringing 2 coolers, one is all for frozen foods, no one goes in and out of that cooler, we go in that cooler once a day to pull out the food for the day

Then another cooler is for defrosting frozen food, cold beer, etc.

I'm using 2 basic propane stoves from Harbor Freight, some people are using elaborate grills but you can find one like this

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CFMQ8gIwBA#

at Harbor Freight for 9.99
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Grill depends on how many people you are feeding. Small grill works for 4-6 people. Some dry ice in the cooler with meat makes it last the whole fest but we always use a separate cooler for meat just in case anything does melt we don't want cross contamination with raw meat! Freeze all the meat before hand, even if you are marinating it and it will help quite a bit. The deal with dry ice is how you package it in the cooler. It it gets wet it freezes everything that touches it so you need to have it in a separate container that will not allow the water from any regular ice to leak in it otherwise the whole contents of the cooler will be frozen solid:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    Grill depends on how many people you are feeding. Small grill works for 4-6 people. Some dry ice in the cooler with meat makes it last the whole fest but we always use a separate cooler for meat just in case anything does melt we don't want cross contamination with raw meat! Freeze all the meat before hand, even if you are marinating it and it will help quite a bit. The deal with dry ice is how you package it in the cooler. It it gets wet it freezes everything that touches it so you need to have it in a separate container that will not allow the water from any regular ice to leak in it otherwise the whole contents of the cooler will be frozen solid:-)
    How much dry ice do you have, dry ice sublimation is FAST and your average block of dry ice is melted extremely quick.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Thanks for the suggestions!!! i'll definately look into those propane grills...

Thanks for the suggestions!!! i'll definately look into those propane grills...
    I also posted a double grill from Walmart and it was like $25 or so.
    COACHELLA 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin da DnB Soulja View Post
    How much dry ice do you have, dry ice sublimation is FAST and your average block of dry ice is melted extremely quick.
    We got a medium sized chunk last year wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler and it froze solid everything that was near it! On Sunday morning it was still freezing everything close to it, I had to chip out the beers that were encased with ice. We used it to make the regular ice last longer and stay colder. Then the dry ice just extends the regular ice but as I said, we had solid ice from the dry ice last year still on Sunday morning that we bought on Wed. in Lake Havasu, AZ.

We sort of experimented with it since then and and we try to keep the dry ice a bit dryer and then at least it does not freeze half the cooler, but with the meat I prefer it frozen until I need to defrost to use it to cook. We used it in a huge 140 gallon cooler and put it on one end and it extends the life of regular ice quite a bit and again we still had some viable dry ice action in the cooler 3 days later. Fact!

Those of you making those "Hobo's" are you guys preparing everything and freezing them in the foil before you leave, or are you freezing everything individually and then preparing them and putting them in the foil right before you cook them?

We got a medium sized chunk last year wrapped it in foil and put it in a cooler and it froze solid everything that was near it! On Sunday morning it was still freezing everything close to it, I had to chip out the beers that were encased with ice. We used it to make the regular ice last longer and stay colder. Then the dry ice just extends the regular ice but as I said, we had solid ice from the dry ice last year still on Sunday morning that we bought on Wed. in Lake Havasu, AZ.

We sort of experimented with it since then and and we try to keep the dry ice a bit dryer and then at least it does not freeze half the cooler, but with the meat I prefer it frozen until I need to defrost to use it to cook. We used it in a huge 140 gallon cooler and put it on one end and it extends the life of regular ice quite a bit and again we still had some viable dry ice action in the cooler 3 days later. Fact!
    So dry ice in foil, freeze everything, then use regular ice?
    COACHELLA 2014

Those of you making those "Hobo's" are you guys preparing everything and freezing them in the foil before you leave, or are you freezing everything individually and then preparing them and putting them in the foil right before you cook them?
    Pretty much everything I am prepping then freezing.
    COACHELLA 2014

Pretty much everything I am prepping then freezing.
    Thanks for the advice!!!
    These will make a very nice addition to my coachella diet!

So dry ice in foil, freeze everything, then use regular ice?
    Yes sir! Basically the dry ice makes it much colder and makes you need less regular ice although you still need some reg ice. Works pretty good:-)

How much foil did you wrap the dry ice in? any picture by chance? I need to know how much dry ice to buy, and how much ice I need to buy. So you kept the wet ice on the opposite side of the cooler?
    COACHELLA 2014

cleaning off pots/pans, utensils, etc. where are you putting your run off water? in the walk way?
    Do people use the water they bring to wash their cooking dishes? Or how does that usually go down?

And what about plates/utensils, do people find paper to be easier than plastic?

Quote Originally Posted by panda_eater View Post
    Do people use the water they bring to wash their cooking dishes? Or how does that usually go down?

Bring extra water for pots/pans and cleaning. There is no available running water on site. Doesn't really matter IMO on paper or plastic, bring a trashbag and anytime someone runs for a bathroom break or a shower have them take the bag if it's full, that's what were doing.
    COACHELLA 2014

Last year I brought a gallon of tap water specifically for washing off dishes and that worked out great (I did it by my car so people didn't have to walk through it).

If you don't want to have to deal with washing/cleaning your plates and utensils, though, disposable is obviously the way to go. If your group isn't that big, just bring some from home or get some cheap pots/pans/plates/etc. from a thrift store and keep them for later. I swear, almost all of my camping supplies have come from camping at Coachella each year!
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Bring extra water for pots/pans and cleaning. There is no available running water on site. Doesn't really matter IMO on paper or plastic, bring a trashbag and anytime someone runs for a bathroom break or a shower have them take the bag if it's full, that's what were doing.
    Trashbags, I knew my list was missing something.
    Sweet.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    Last year I brought a gallon of tap water specifically for washing off dishes and that worked out great (I did it by my car so people didn't have to walk through it).

If you don't want to have to deal with washing/cleaning your plates and utensils, though, disposable is obviously the way to go. If your group isn't that big, just bring some from home or get some cheap pots/pans/plates/etc. from a thrift store and keep them for later. I swear, almost all of my camping supplies have come from camping at Coachella each year!

Awesome thanks, I think I'll grab one of those water jugs that has a spout on it for dishes. I vaguely remember that from girl scouts years ago. And definitely heading to the thrift store for pans.

This is for sure going to be a learning experience.

PRE-COOKED BACON.

Keep it in a zip-loc bag in your cooler. You'll be amazed how many uses you'll find for it. Seriously, I don't think there's a single thing you couldn't get through bartering with bacon.

bumpity <burp>

tis is making me hungry

Yes sir! Basically the dry ice makes it much colder and makes you need less regular ice although you still need some reg ice. Works pretty good:-)
    Question regarding the dry ice. How do you handle it because at work we were told not to touch it because you can get burned.

I was thinking about buying either this
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...ainer/10098757
    or something like this for extra water
    http://www.amazon.com/Midwest-Compan.../dp/B001ESUOOY
    It would definitely work for washing dishes and stuff.
    Hopefully I already have water cans lying around my house somewhere.

You can come to our campsite if you want to cook or join our meals:-) We will have a full camp kitchen with 3 burner cooktop, full BBQ and a few smaller BBQ's too and we are very happy to share!
    Can I join you guys?!

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Sooo... do you want to caravan in together?
    I just posted this in the Experiences thread but thought it should go here as well...

I like to cook when I camp so one night I made some Smoked Salmon and Gorgonzola Pasta with crusty bread and red wine and it was gooood. I shared with my neighbors but still had some leftover so I made up a plate full with a napkin and fork and bread and filled a cup with wine and started wandering through the tents shouting "Anyone hungry? Who wants some pasta and red wine?"

I hear a girl's voice say "I want it, but I'm naked!" So I tell her to stick her hand out through the door of her tent, which she does, I give her the food and that disappears into the tent. Then I hear a guy's voice from inside the same tent, "I'll take the wine!" and another hand sticks out the door - I give him the wine and it disappears inside as well.

As I'm waking away I hear them shout "Who are you? You're awesome!" I say "I'm Cactuskev! Happy Coachella!" and walk away.

I love the fact that some random naked couple got a nice gourmet meal inside their tent out of nowhere - that's just one of many Coachella moments for me - it was AWESOME!

The HOBOS worked GREAT!. THANKS THREAD! We used them as fuel for day three!

The MRE's that I brought sort of worked, couldn't really figure out the heater situation. The rest of the food that came with them was great though!! delicious granola and milk for breakfast with cinnamon scone

Quote Originally Posted by the choice cat View Post
    The MRE's that I brought sort of worked, couldn't really figure out the heater situation. The rest of the food that came with them was great though!! delicious granola and milk for breakfast with cinnamon scone
    You can make some sweet bombs out of MREs haha.
    COACHELLA 2014

That's funny you say that, because I was thinking that same thing as I was trying to prepare one of mine. Enlighten me

Quote Originally Posted by the choice cat View Post
    That's funny you say that, because I was thinking that same thing as I was trying to prepare one of mine. Enlighten me
    cut open the heating pad and pour in half filled bottle of water. close the bottle and wait. BOOM.

I have about 10 MRE's that i forgot about until now
    at least i'll have them handy when the zombie apocalypse comes around

I didn't get around to making these for Coachella, but since my bro is having a bbq on Sat, I am now starting to prep them....

Guinness Steaks!