Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Meal Ideas

Default Re: Meal Ideas

can't stress tin foil dinners enough..really..for beef, chicken, veggies, so clutch

While this post isn't particularly creative, one thing I've done for dinners is stocked up on "skillet dinners". I like to buy these at Trader Joes (but they have them everywhere) and it's basically a frozen bag full of a dinner (most often a pasta with sauce/veggies/meat) with all the ingredients already assembled for you. All you have to do is saute it, hence skillet dinner, and it's very cheap and easy.

I'm not as ambitious as others in getting all those ingredients for, say, a Rigatoni with Smoked Salmon, Walnuts, and Gorgonzola Cream Sauce, but I can find something equally extravagant in a skillet dinner, and it's super cheap ($4-$8 usually) and very easy to make, and more importantly, much faster to make. These are the meals that I eat when only a small portion of our group has headed back to the campsite, and we just need a quick easy meal, but want something more gourmet that isn't a banana/crackers/bong hit.

Seriously. Skillet meal. Cheap and time saving, yet you still feel like you're eating fancy at the campsite.

I can't find any pictures/examples of things I've gotten from Trader Joes, but they look like these Bertolli meals I just googled online (presumably found at all major drugstores)

If you were cooking for a large group, then making one of these meals on a mass scale might make more sense to get your own ingredients and take the time, but for my purposes (only responsible for the meals of me and my girl) these are great quick cheap dinners. No, I'm not a spokesman for Bertolli. I'm not even saying get Bertolli, those are just examples, I usually get these skillet dinners from Trader Joes, they have awesome choices and seemingly higher quality ingredients, and all that for low prices.

Completely disregard this post if you aren't bringing a camp stove.
    Last edited by ManImCool; 03-13-2013 at 05:00 PM.
    Why ______________________ ?

Quote Originally Posted by Coachella FAQ;
    Because.
    2014 Coachella FF Team = White Welkers

Not a bad idea. I think I may pick some up for my group for some post festival grub.

Breakfast:
    Diced potatoes with pearl onions, diced bell peppers, and seasoning. Make at home and keep in a ziplock bag. Throw it in a pan with a tiny bit of oil or water and you're good to go
    Pancakes. Make the batter at home and store it in a ketchup bottle, milk carton, ziplock bag, etc. Squeeze/pour into pan.
    Bagels and cream cheese

Lunch:
    Canned Soup/Chili
    Hot Dogs/Hot Links
    Pasta Salad (make at home)
    Bagel sandwiches

Dinner:
    Frozen stir fry (make at home... rice/chicken/veggies)
    Spaghetti (make before leaving and throw into a bag/container.. should last 2-3 days in a cooler no problem)
    Tacos... all you need are tortillas and a small bag with diced tomato/onion/cilantro. You can buy a bag of seasoned meat (I like al pastor) at most any mexican market that will only need to cook for 10 minutes.
    Hot Dogs/Hot Links

Snacks:
    Chips, Crackers, Dip, Veggies, Hummus
    Home made salsa
    Pasta Salad
    Mandarins (the cuties brand oranges)

Also, plan to use some dry ice in the coolers. I'll have one cooler for food, one cooler for drinks.

Other easy to make items :

Hard Boiled Eggs
    Instant Oatmeal
    Grilled Cheese
    Quesadillas (lunch meat and cheese works well)
    Rice with sriracha and soy sauce (you can make this at home and just heat it up)

Bringing a camp stove for the first time and researching, thank you for all the good ideas!

Starting my planning for weekend 2 and came for some ideas! Can't wait to try some of these recipes!

Lurker

hmmm...maybe ill bring in a sack of crawfish from tx and do a boil the first day

might bring a big ass tub of rice and beans. lately HEB in tx has these pintos with jalapenos in a can. ive been throwing some cooked rice and it has been amazing consistently. simple, easy, filling, tasty.

Lurker

Mozzie if you bring crawfish from the H I gots to come get me some!!!! That would be amazing

Peanut butter and Nutella sandwiches 3 days in a row!
    and Chewy bars as snacks.

Quote Originally Posted by Stickjohn View Post
    I love camping and cooking outside, but not at Coachella. For me a good breakfast would be Kashi Original cereal w/some yogurt and maybe some fruit from the Farmer's Market.
    Good call =)

Keep in mind we'll also have Cinnamon Rolls, Muffins and Yogurt Parfaits too for breakfast. Unfortunately our granola/trail-mix people pulled out
    Coachella Certified Farmers' Market 2014 - Weekends 1 & 2
    The only place at Coachella where you will find the best organic coffee drinks, freshest organic foods, baked goods, healthy snacks and the infamous GREEN DRINK!
    Conveniently located next to the Clubhouse in the Campgrounds, open Friday-Sunday 7am-2pm
    Brought to you by the people of the Certified Farmers' Markets of the Coachella Valley

Is anybody else just going to go to costco and get a bulk size box of cliff bars?

i like cooking even at festivals.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by mozzie View Post
    hmmm...maybe ill bring in a sack of crawfish from tx and do a boil the first day
    so if i do bring a sack of crawfish, how good are they on the grounds about removing trash... last thing i want is a crapload of crawfish shells fermenting in the desert heat for 3 days.

Lurker

If I wasnt flying in from Vancouver, thats exactly the menu I would like to do.

Lurker

Cactusskev....i hope i camp next to you lol!
    I will FOR SURE throw down funds on food.
    Amazing food lineup...haha
    - Dommer
    Mo' Chella, No Problems:

My group always comes with roughly the same menu each year as almost all of the ingredients have multiple uses so it makes shopping easier and also cooking out on the fields easier. We prepare as much as possible before heading out to the festival itself. Cut, marinate and freeze all the meats, chop up some of the peppers & onions for burritos but leave some bigger for kebabs, cook all the bacon beforehand, and crack all the eggs too (pour them into gallon jugs for easy transport and handling once out there).

Breakfast Burritos each morning (eggs, bacon cooked before the fest, peppers & onion, cheese, salsa / hot sauce)
    Steak / Chicken Kebabs (marinated chicken / steak, onions, peppers, skewers)
    Hobo Meals (marinated chicken and/or steak, potatoes, onions, and peppers, throw in some butter, garlic salt, and pepper, then wrap in foil and throw on grill)
    BBQ chicken sandwiches
    Burgers / Hot dogs
    Beer Brats (take normal brats, boil them in beer, sauerkraut, hot sauce and garlic salt until cooked, then top with more kraut on the bun)

We also get a ton of snacks to have throughout the day. It's not quite fine dining, but it's definitely better than rockin PB&J's all weekend!

Every year I make my group meals for each morning/night. This year it's only 5 of us so I went a little less gourmet/volume. Here's the Menu:

Slow cooked, pork shoulder Chile verde w/ Wheat or corn tortillas

Roasted turkey or black forest ham sandwiches (Dave's 'good seed' bread/'everything' bagel thins) jalapeņo or chipotle pepper cheese w/ hummus/cucumber/avocado/Spinach

Fresh Fruit Parfaits (Pineapple/Kiwi/Grapes/strawberries/blueberries/toasted-walnuts/vanilla greek yogurt)

Coming back to camp to fresh, tasty ingredients really makes all the difference.

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

how u keep all the perishable stuff cold? just w/ ice & cooler? I find that leaving food in a cooler of ice can sometimes result in soggy food.

Quote Originally Posted by thizzin my brains out View Post
    how u keep all the perishable stuff cold? just w/ ice & cooler? I find that leaving food in a cooler of ice can sometimes result in soggy food.
    I bought quality plastic containers last year, they seal tight and everything stays fresh/dry.

Designate one cooler to food only (not snacks). I make sure that I keep this cooler in my tent and only I have access to it. This reduces the number of times its opened, thus resulting in longer lasting ice. Make sure the cooler is closed tight at all times (check on it every time you come back to camp/lay down for the night.)

As long as that cooler stays closed and in the shade, you should be right as rain for the weekend.

The Postal Service - Greek Theater - July 27
    Outside Lands - Golden Gate Park - August 9-11

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Just wash your hands off after. I don't want to be high fiving your stink palm.

Premade pasta with pesto is easy and delicious at room temp.

Lurker

so this is my first year actually camping at coachella, will i be able to bring in a cooking knife, or is that a no no.

First time we're using a stove at camp, keep those good ideas coming!