Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Meal Ideas

Default Meal Ideas

So some of you may want to break the norm of the usual hamburger, hot dogs, steaks for grub so here is some thoughts on the matter.

1) Tin Foil Dinner. Before you leave for the festival you can even freeze these bad boys and throw them in your cooler, get meat, potatoes, veggies, onions, mushrooms, etc. whatever you want in your tin foil, then throw it on the grill and eat it later. If you want chicken you may want to cook the chicken separately then heat up your tin foil.

2) Omelette in a bag. Crack 2-3 eggs in a plastic bag, then throw whatever you want in your omelette inside the bag, as youre doing this heat up hot water in a pan then when boiling place the bag inside the water and bam, grab a fork and grub down.

3) Cook bacon ahead of time. Many of us like bacon on burgers, eggs, etc. you can cook your bacon ahead of time, and just heat them on the grill later. Deal with the grease and mess at home, then you have your bacon locked and loaded for the trip. Bacon will do fine if pre-cooked.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Default Re: Meal Ideas

tuna. doesnt need to be kept cold. get to-go packs of mayo. throw in some dried cranberries. delish.

Almost every bbq or grill-out that I have, I will soak steak (cut into cubes) in Guinness and minced garlic for AT LEAST 3 days. Throw them on a kabob stick, grill and serve.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Robin View Post
    Almost every bbq or grill-out that I have, I will soak steak (cut into cubes) in Guinness and minced garlic for AT LEAST 3 days. Throw them on a kabob stick, grill and serve.
    What the fuck THAT SOUNDS DELICIOUS
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Also I highly suggest beer soaked onions

-- ever since I've had the Grill Em All beer soaked onions, it's the only way to ride ---
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin da DnB Soulja View Post
    2) Omelette in a bag. Crack 2-3 eggs in a plastic bag, then throw whatever you want in your omelette inside the bag, as youre doing this heat up hot water in a pan then when boiling place the bag inside the water and bam, grab a fork and grub down.
    You probably want to be careful with which plastic bag you use. Some people say that the plastic will leach chemicals into your food when exposed to high temperatures, but I would more concerned with the purely practical aspect of making sure the bag doesn't melt. In my experience, freezer bags are a little thicker, and tend to work well.

Even better yet, go to a professional chef supply store (Surfas in Culver City would be my top choice if I lived in Los Angeles), and buy some supplies specially marketing for sous vide cooking.

I love camping and cooking outside, but not at Coachella. For me a good breakfast would be Kashi Original cereal w/some yogurt and maybe some fruit from the Farmer's Market.

I love to cook while camping! Here's my menu plan:

Thursday
    Dinner: On the Road

Friday
    Breakfast: Bacon, egg and cheese on toasted English muffin, Coffee, Screwdrivers

Dinner/late night snack: Gorgonzola cream sauce with smoked salmon pasta, crusty bread, wine

Saturday
    Breakfast: Potato and Sausage Burros, Coffee, Screwdrivers

Dinner/late Night: Caramelized Onion and Parmesan Bruschetta
    / Salami Tomato Bruschetta, Wine

Sunday
    Break: Potato, bacon, chile, salsa Quesadilla, Coffee, Screwdrivers
    Dinner/ late night: Pasta Puttenesca with Sausage, Bread, Wine

Monday
    Break: Wild blueberry Pancakes, sausage, butter, syrup, coffee

Yum!

Sweet Italian Sausages, Sabrett Hot Dogs, Chili (made at home, then frozen), Eggbeaters, Bacon (going with the cook at home idea, thanks), frozen steak burgers, loaf of Italian bread, Peanut Butter, Strawberry Preserves (put in a plastic container), and maybe some deli meats. Supplement with Farmers Market.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This is why you're a semi-employed cheetoh-munching fucktard.

cactuskev, wow! May I come dine with you? Seriously, thats some gourmet shit! Sounds beautiful!

Here I was thinking I was totally boss with my plan to bring tinned fruit, peanut butter and two minute noodles! :/
    I came here to drink milk and kick ass.
    And I've just finished my milk.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    What the fuck THAT SOUNDS DELICIOUS
    Sad part is, I don't eat steak. I only eat chicken as a meat, so I don't even know how it tastes.
    But the only complaint I've ever received on them was that I cooked it too rare.

As good as a lot of this sounds, I know myself too well -- I'm lazy, so I'll be bringing some fruit, Cliff Bars, beef jerkey, and beer and paying for any cooked food I eat.

Quote Originally Posted by Cactuskev View Post

Thursday

Friday
    Breakfast: Bacon, egg and cheese on toasted English muffin, Coffee, Screwdrivers

Dinner/late night snack: Gorgonzola cream sauce with smoked salmon pasta, crusty bread, wine

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Yum!
    Yeah ok, if you must insist, I'll camp with you.

Thursday

Friday

Saturday

Sunday

Monday

Yum!
    Sooo... do you want to caravan in together?

Lightbulb Re: Meal Ideas

[IMG][/IMG]

^^^ big ol' mess ^^^

i got the recipe from marlboro and EVERYBODY loves it as a appetizer at any BBQ...

1 lb smoked sausage
    3 jalepeno peppers sliced
    2 bell peppers cut into bite-sized chunks
    1 sweet onion cut into bite-sized chunks
    1/4 cup tabasco sauce
    1 10oz jar sweet & sour sauce
    6 squares foil OR 1 foil cooking bag

place sausage, peppers, and onion into foil bag (or make your own)... mix tabasco and sweet & sour sauce in small bowl and then pour over the mixture in foil bag; seal edges tightly... place foil bag on grill; cook for about 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes... slit open and serve right out of the bag (all you need is some toothpicks to eat it with or just load it onto some crusty bread)
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

I used tips 2 and 3 last year, and they worked out perfectly. I've also used bags for making pancakes by just measuring everything out ahead of time, and then pouring all the ingredients into a plastic Tupperware bowl when I was ready to cook them.

The only other tip I can offer is to invest in a French Press. You can get a plastic one for $15-20 (I've had this one for three years now and it is still in great condition: http://www.amazon.com/BonJour-3-Cup-...9813542&sr=8-4), and use your heat source and a small pot to warm the water. It also makes a wonderful cup of coffee!

I'm certainly going to stop by the Farmer's Market this year (some berries would be a nice addition to the pancakes), which is something I regret not doing last year. For those who bought from it, how would you rate the quality of what they had on offer?

Edit: the "big ol' mess" looks wonderful
    Quote Originally Posted by roberto73 View Post
    I'd contribute to this discussion but I'm still busy reminiscing about the halcyon days of punk. You know, the mid-90s.

Quote Originally Posted by nosurprises12 View Post
    The only other tip I can offer is to invest in a French Press. You can get a plastic one for $15-20 (I've had this one for three years now and it is still in great condition: http://www.amazon.com/BonJour-3-Cup-...9813542&sr=8-4), and use your heat source and a small pot to warm the water. It also makes a wonderful cup of coffee!
    I wholeheartedly agree! A French Press is really the best way to drink coffee, in my opinion. You get all the fragrant oils from the beans that would be ordinarily be left behind on the filter. If possible, get Vietnamese coffee - it is honestly the best coffee I have ever tried, and it keeps you going all day. Even when I drink it at 11am, I still can't sleep at 4am sometimes.

As for the grounds that are left behind, they're great as compost or even insect repellent!

I LOOOVEEEE cafe sua da! Thanks for bringing the idea up. I think I will be bringing condensed milk instead of cream/sugar.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmycrackcorn View Post
    [IMG][/IMG]

^^^ big ol' mess ^^^

i got the recipe from marlboro and EVERYBODY loves it as a appetizer at any BBQ...

1 lb smoked sausage
    3 jalepeno peppers sliced
    2 bell peppers cut into bite-sized chunks
    1 sweet onion cut into bite-sized chunks
    1/4 cup tabasco sauce
    1 10oz jar sweet & sour sauce
    6 squares foil OR 1 foil cooking bag

place sausage, peppers, and onion into foil bag (or make your own)... mix tabasco and sweet & sour sauce in small bowl and then pour over the mixture in foil bag; seal edges tightly... place foil bag on grill; cook for about 45 minutes, turning every 15 minutes... slit open and serve right out of the bag (all you need is some toothpicks to eat it with or just load it onto some crusty bread)

DAMN! That looks great - I'm going to make this weekend! Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Emma Ocean View Post
    cactuskev, wow! May I come dine with you? Seriously, thats some gourmet shit! Sounds beautiful!

Here I was thinking I was totally boss with my plan to bring tinned fruit, peanut butter and two minute noodles! :/

HAH! Of course! - look for the gigantic retro truck with good smells wafting about and have a nibble or two!

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Yeah ok, if you must insist, I'll camp with you.
    Sooo... do you want to caravan in together?
    Yeah I hope cactuskev doesnt mind camping with you two and me, because that shit is destiny or something. He had me at screwdrivers with every breakfast.
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Hahah! I definitely noticed the screwdrivers for breakfast. I normally wake up to a can of beer... or 2.

Right now, I'm craving Grilled Apples.
    Just find baking apples, such as Granny Smith.
    Core and slice the apples. Keep apples together as if they were not sliced.
    Place a brown sugar and cinnamon mixture in the center. (1 tbs/0.25 tsp respectively for each apple)
    Wrap in foil.
    Grill over Medium heat for about 20 minutes.

Damn, that sounds awesome... the grilled apples AND waking up to two beers!
    14 in a row = 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012a, 2012b, 2013a, 2013b, 2014a, 2014b

Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    Yeah I hope cactuskev doesnt mind camping with you two and me, because that shit is destiny or something. He had me at screwdrivers with every breakfast.
    I think I'm gonna need a bigger pan...

respekt
    I came here to drink milk and kick ass.
    And I've just finished my milk.

If anyone is going to do beer soaked onions and mushrooms, I talked to the the head chef for the Grill Em All Truck, and he suggests using cheap beer, PBR works well, and you get a really flavor from them. Using Guiness is a waste cause it doesn't really enhance the flavor at all.
    COACHELLA 2014

Quote Originally Posted by phantom View Post
    tuna. doesnt need to be kept cold. get to-go packs of mayo. throw in some dried cranberries. delish.
    Never thought about dried cranberries with tuna. I can't wait to try this out.

What kind of steak do you use?

Also, I'll be lookin' for that big retro truck. Mmmmmmmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Lightbulb Re: Meal Ideas

this is awesome tuna i take hiking all the time

1. it doesn't have to be cold
    2. it DOES NOT have any mayonaisse in it at all!
    3. it tastes wonderful on wheat thins
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

I think I'm gonna need a bigger pan...
    And more screwdrivers.

Quote Originally Posted by daxton View Post
    What kind of steak do you use?
    Normally filet or sirloin.

One of my favorites to make at a bbq (and always a big hit) is Bourbon Apricot Chicken. Probably not the best thing to make at Coachella. It makes a mess on the grill. If you do decide to make it, I would recommend prepping ahead of time. I normally let the chicken marinade for at least 24 hours, anyways.

(For 2 chicken breasts - or 4 halves)

MARINADE:
    1/4 cup Dijon mustard
    1/4 cup dark brown sugar
    2 tablespoons soy sauce
    2 tablespoons bourbon (I'm cheap and use Jack Daniels)
    1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce

BASTING SAUCE:
    1/4 cup apricot preserves
    2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
    2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
    2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
    2 teaspoons honey
    1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

I'm so jealous of all you car campers that can cook. I got tent camping so I guess I'll stick with food vendors, the farmers market and MREs.
    When I held that gun in my hand, I felt a surge of power…like God must feel when he’s holding a gun.