Thread: So, the Sahara Tent Stage is for DJs and Dancing....What About the Other Stages?

Default So, the Sahara Tent Stage is for DJs and Dancing....What About the Other Stages?

I confess...Yes,I am an 8 year veteran to Coachella and should probably have figured this out already, but, alas...The 1st year was simply an eye-opening and ear teasing experience for me. Coachella was not the Ozzfest I was familiar with. Nor was it a seated show at the closest major venue. I had options! Many of which, I was very unfamiliar with. I came with a Classic Rock/ Metal background, and then basically wandered around with Pete just following our ears.(He was doing side work for G.V. at the time, and would have to take off to fix something or move something, leaving me alone to explore.)

By the 2nd and 3rd year, it had been established that our favorite hangout at Coachella is indeed, the Sahara Tent. BUT...Knowing there's so much more out there to be exposed to, we'd still wander until a must see act was on somewhere...(So glad to have accidently wandered into the Sahara Tent in 2006 before the end of the night, because we weren't ready to go home, and besides...How often do you get your mind blown by robots? Yeah, from 2006 to the present, Pete let's me do all the homework on the lineup and the half-assed itinerary in hopes of a "Winning" weekend. And while we know the Main Stage is for the big acts, and the Do-Lab is for sweaty, wet dancing, and stage artists, neither of us is sure if maybe the other stages have a particular genre they tend to cater to. (I think the Outdoor Theater used to be the Main Stage the first year... not sure.)

I know that while watching you tube vids, I've concluded that if a band is made up with more than 5 members, and one of them plays a violin or harmonica, you won't see me around. I've also got this theory that I probably won't like it if the whole band wears pants made for 12 year old girls. I was 12 once, and yes, my life was so over and full of drama, but at least I didn't look like a reject! LOL

Is there an established pattern for what particular groups play on what stages at Coachella, or is it based upon the tent and crowd size? If someone absolutely despises the heavy drop of bass and flash of lazers, but gets absolutely mesemerized by the strength of a female lead singer's voice, or the style of music to just chill on the grass and nap, what stage provides the setting for them? Or is it all about Random?
    Long live the rave tent! Die Hippy Scum.

Default Re: So, the Sahara Tent Stage is for DJs and Dancing....What About the Other Stages?

Main Stage in Coachella is translated to -clusterfuck for headliner

Outdoor Stage in Coachella is translated to - noise bleed from Do Lab

Gobi in Coachella is translated to - small

Mojave in Coachella is translated to - the other tent

Sahara in Coachella is translated to - drugs
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Default Re: So, the Sahara Tent Stage is for DJs and Dancing....What About the Other Stages?

as follows:

Main Stage-Filler, left over from other tents followed by popular acts n headliners

Outdoor stage- Folksy, legends, "next big thing" sunset spots

Gobi-A bunch of random shit

Mojave- A bunch of random more popular shit

Sahara- Drugs, DJ's and higher probability to get arrested
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

^ That's about as much of a pattern as your gonna get, 2010 in the Mojave, Major Lazer into Les Claypool, pattern?

Kalahari Tent = all apartheid era bands (some DJs too)

Death Valley Tent = metal and hair bands (probably stuff you might like)

Thar Tent = World music (TONS of sitars)

Namib Tent = (I don't really know, not many do. Why = Uncrowded conditions. The Namib is a large tent with a sparse population and has the festival's lowest population density - less than two people per square kilometer. You know you're in the Namib when... - Your cheque takes 14 days to clear (and you spell it c-h-e-q-u-e), people talk about robots when they really mean traffic lights, votes have to be recounted until the right party wins, you consider it a good set if you only get mugged or raped once, everyone around you has AIDS, you have aids, Rwandan refugees start leaving the tent because the crime is too high, the festival employees DANCE in front of the tent to show how unhappy they are.)
    Last edited by Bud Luster; 03-09-2011 at 07:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by frizzlefry View Post
    ^ That's about as much of a pattern as your gonna get, 2010 in the Mojave, Major Lazer into Les Claypool, pattern?
    I think we left the Sahara Tent maybe 3-4 times last year, and usually ended up at the Do Lab and maybe the Outdoor. (It may explain why we didn't suffer from a clusterfuck like many others did. We weren't trying to get from one end of the fest to the other. But I'm thinking that this year they have the D&B stage/tent, and there seems to be more Rap/ Dance, and Hip Hop, and even some more aggressive near rock/electronic stuff that I'm liking.<<<(Just be glad I'm not doing the tent designation! lol) Has a location for the D&B stage been determined yet? I love that shit for awhile, and then I have to see something else to return my heart rate to normal after those heavy beats and long bass...I'm guessing the closest locals with homes near the festival, will be in for a D&B lesson, whether they like it or not...unless that stage is somewhere towards the center of the entire camp & fest area...
    Long live the rave tent! Die Hippy Scum.

I'd like to submit an official new category for the BMOTY2011 awards: Noobiest Board Member Created Thread.

4/11-13: Coachella
    4/15: The Knife @ The Fox
    4/16: Factory Floor @ The Independent
    4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

They'll prolly put the DnB stage next to the lockers where that dome thing was like two years ago is my guess... Cannot imagine it going anywhere else
    "conversation is a game of circles and i'm getting dizzy-- bye"

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

they said it was going in the newly resodded area where some stables were previously.

Who is 'they' and where did you get this 'newly resodded' information?
    Friday: Aloe Blacc, ZZ Ward, Caravan Palace, MS MR, Bastille, OutKast, Grouplove, Kate Nash, HAIM, Jagwar Ma, Tom Odell, Neko Case
    Saturday
    : Chvrches, Lorde, ,Foxygen, The Naked and Famous, Pharrell Williams, Muse, Empire of the Sun, Bombay Bicycle Club, Pet Shop Boys, Saints of Valory, Temples
    Sunday: Arcade Fire, Lana Del Rey, Frank Turner, John Newman, J Roddy Walston and the Business, Superchunk, STRFKR, Neutral Milk Hotel

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

oh god. I am not digging all this stuff up, it's been kicking around the board for months.

Sahara in Coachella is translated to - drugs

Win
    Quote Originally Posted by SaharaIsMyHome View Post
    Ex: If you were having sex with 1 girl and 2 others came in to join in, you wouldn't like that? One girl would most likely be riding u while the other two just stand off to the side and wait. eventually you will get ALL 3 on you. that is kind of like what im saying with Swedish House Mafia...3 > 1
    Coachella 2010, Soon 2011 and yes..He is shuffling

Kanyes "Stronger", into daft punks "Harder Better Faster Stronger"!!!! Cant wait!!

I frequent the tent behind and in between the Sahara and Mojave...designated area to drop off the kids.
    I once stumbled into the KROQ tent in a drunken stupor and almost threw up.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

My interpretations:

Main Stage in Coachella is translated to -can really run the gamut usually either really strong up and comers or some that have been really strong in "indie" circuits but never really broke through to the mainstream. (oops and duh! the headliners and bigger names starting at around 5pmish)

Outdoor Stage in Coachella is translated to - seems a lot of the "old school" reunion bands hit this stage nowadays or those that are popular but off kilter (maybe that band from stagecoach that bleeds over) Last year was not reflective of that though, poorly staged IMHO.

Gobi in Coachella is translated to - not so much buzz, still at a cult following stage...some of the most impressive acts are usually here cuz they are still trying to prove their worth and go the extra mile.

Mojave in Coachella is translated to - Good following already, not necessarily a specific genre but have built up notoriety in the time they have been around but havent totally broken through yet. Could be considered a secondary early day main stage so to speak.

Sahara in Coachella is translated to - drugs. Sadly, true...unless you are there early in the day its basically E-tards and those who aint gonna remember shit anyway. I do have a feeling this year may be a bit different though.

and now I allow the coachella.com/forum bash me as they feel...
    Last edited by Sigur Ros Stache; 03-10-2011 at 10:07 AM.
    "The Coachella Valley wasn't always like this, there's been a great many changes made since I came here some 67 years ago"

Just because I am to lazy to preach my own Coachellology.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Main stage - The normal people stage.

Outdoor theater - Played out bands / Up and coming bands. Basically the fanboy/groupie stage.

Gobi - Hipsters

Mojave - Hipsters

Sahara - Drugs

Pure Filth - Even more drugs