Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Damaged: Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Emo & Noise Rock

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Damaged: Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Emo & Noise Rock

Quote Originally Posted by xxxxxxxxxx View Post
    edit: oh man, Drive Like Jehu are amazing.
    Yes, Yank Crimes is such a good fucking record
    last.fm
    12/4/14 - Angel Olsen @ El Rey // 12/10/14 - Tune-Yards/Cibo Matto @ Wiltern

RAPE STOVE

white power?!

we might as well go through this album one by one

and then there was the bled

Quote Originally Posted by rag and bone View Post

YES!! i haven't heard this song in years.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Drinkey -- I remember Taken! I never got a chance to see them but heard their shows were wild.

I think Recover was to me what Taken was to you. They weren't local to my scene but I loved them A LOT even though they weren't THAT popular. I can't find any youtubes of my favorite song or I would post it...their later stuff was even more melodic and while I liked it, it wasn't as raw as Rodeo & Picasso , which is such an awesome album.

Dan Keyes from Recover left the band to start Young Love, which was a terrible dance project, and I don't think I will ever forgive him for it. Not that he asked me to or anything...
    Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Lakers fans are some of the most delusional people in the world, I swear.
    my name is casey. i love pavement and i want to pet every dog in the world.

One of my favorite movements in the hardcore scene are the black and doom metal-inspired hardcore bands of the crust scene. Yes, i know we were not including metal in this thread, but these inpsiratons are really important to a really big part of the underground, and i still consider this strictly hardcore, despite the influences.

Some stand-out albums:
    His Hero is Gone - 15 Counts of Arson

From Ashes Rise - Nightmares

Tragedy - Tragedy

Victims - Divide & Conquer

last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by casey View Post
    Drinkey -- I remember Taken! I never got a chance to see them but heard their shows were wild.

I think Recover was to me what Taken was to you. They weren't local to my scene but I loved them A LOT even though they weren't THAT popular. I can't find any youtubes of my favorite song or I would post it...their later stuff was even more melodic and while I liked it, it wasn't as raw as Rodeo & Picasso , which is such an awesome album.

Dan Keyes from Recover left the band to start Young Love, which was a terrible dance project, and I don't think I will ever forgive him for it. Not that he asked me to or anything...
    Awesome...Taken wasn't exactly local for me, but I made the drive out to Anaheim and Corona quite a bit to check out shows. Then there was a time that a local band in Burbank called Stricken started getting a bunch of bands to come out and play this little vets' hall in burbank because the guitar player worked at Backside records and was selling a bunch of hardcore albums. he started booking bands like Taken, Horse the band, Caffiends, and Bleeding kansas on a regular basis to the Burbank shows, which was fucking AWESOME. He even managed to book terror one night, which proved too much for the little place to handle.

Unfortunately the hall lost its charter because of alcohol sales to minors and shut down and burbank lost its local music location.

Also, i have friends who knew the guys in Recover...i think at least one of the members lived in Burbank. I never got to see them but I love both of their albums.
    last.fm

This thread (other than Thursday, who I genuinely loved) is my worst nightmare. Just reminds me of all the shit I used to listen to with my best friend when I pretended I was into hardcore but really just wanted to listen to Something Corporate and Hanson. God I was such a poser. I really did live by the Drive-Thru lineup circa 2002.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    One of my favorite movements in the hardcore scene are the black and doom metal-inspired hardcore bands of the crust scene. Yes, i know we were not including metal in this thread, but these inpsiratons are really important to a really big part of the underground, and i still consider this strictly hardcore, despite the influences.

Some stand-out albums:
    His Hero is Gone - 15 Counts of Arson

Tragedy - Tragedy

Victims - Divide & Conquer

SO yeah, this guy is the only one that should be allowed to post in this thread.

Though it's kinds funny that every band you posted shared members, and the one that didn't (Victims) did a split with From Ashes Rise. Still, this is the best music posted in the thread so far.

Post-2000 hardcore favorites

No Warning - Ill Blood
    Terror - Lowest of the Low
    Converge - Jane Doe
    Bane - Give Blood
    Fucked Up - Hidden World

For various reasons, all those records rule. Fucked Up was probably my favorite HC band last decade.

*based upon tedious fact checking.

*based upon tedious fact checking.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    This thread (other than Thursday, who I genuinely loved) is my worst nightmare. Just reminds me of all the shit I used to listen to with my best friend when I pretended I was into hardcore but really just wanted to listen to Something Corporate and Hanson. God I was such a poser. I really did live by the Drive-Thru lineup circa 2002.
    hahahaha awesome. it's funny how people get in and out of music phases.

Here's a couple other albums that I think are must-haves, more on the emo side of things
    LIFETIME - Hello Bastards

...and this of course is a Hüsker Dü cover, but it's great

and FARSIDE - The Monroe Doctrine

I'll get into dirtier stuff a little later...seems we need at least a little NYHC representation in here. First though i'm thinking of doing some write-ups on Walter Schreifels and maybe Ken Andrews.
    last.fm

Drinkey - btw are you talking about the Burbank Veterans Hall? That band Stricken was fucking lame and so were all the 818 hardcore kids, but there was one really really good show there. Terror, Champion, Donnybrook, First Blood, etc. on this all day fest around 2004, probably the last time Terror played with no stage.

Early 00's was a GREAT era for punk-based music.

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    Though it's kinds funny that every band you posted shared members, and the one that didn't (Victims) did a split with From Ashes Rise. Still, this is the best music posted in the thread so far.

No Warning - Ill Blood
    Terror - Lowest of the Low
    Converge - Jane Doe
    Bane - Give Blood
    Fucked Up - Hidden World
    ha, wasn't an accident that i posted a bunch of bands with similar members as i was trying to illustrate a definitive sound.

I was avoiding Converge at first because we've talked about them in the metal thread quite a bit, and they do blur the boundaries a bit, but yeah, they belong in here. i could do a giant post on their whole career as they're one of my favorite bands of all time. Maybe i should just do it for the "young'uns Guide" thread and link it over here.

I've never been too big on bane or terror...they';re a bit too tough guy hardcore for me, but I don't dislike like all tough guy bands. Bane in specific I really just don't like the singer's voice, but the music was always badass.

And yes, Fucked Up is one of the only very recent hardcore bands that I've been interested in...did you check out any of their eps last year? GOOD STUFF.

But everybody has been posting great stuff in here. The topic was made a bit broad.

Talking about really noisy mathcore shit, now that I'm thinking about it, Botch's We Are The Romans is one of the most brilliant albums of the genre ever made.

last.fm

Drinkey - btw are you talking about the Burbank Veterans Hall? That band Stricken was fucking lame and so were all the 818 hardcore kids, but there was one really really good show there. Terror, Champion, Donnybrook, First Blood, etc. on this all day fest around 2004, probably the last time Terror played with no stage.

Early 00's was a GREAT era for punk-based music.
    Yeah, that was it. i went to high school with the Stricken guys and that vets hall started out as a place all my friends' metal bands played together in high school. that was walking distance from my house growing up
    last.fm

ha, wasn't an accident that i posted a bunch of bands with similar members as i was trying to illustrate a definitive sound.
    I'd leave HHIG out of that category, same members but way way slower, crustier sound. They're all eating Discharge's table scraps.

I was avoiding Converge at first because we've talked about them in the metal thread quite a bit, and they do blur the boundaries a bit, but yeah, they belong in here. i could do a giant post on their whole career as they're one of my favorite bands of all time. Maybe i should just do it for the "young'uns Guide" thread and link it over here.
    Converge never intended to be a metal band, Converge are a hardcore band that had too much damn talent and too much creativity to stay in the genre. Like a lot of the great heavy hardcore bands of their era, metalheads picked up on them around 2004 and suddenly what was hardcore was now metal. It caused too much stupid hardcore/metal fighting and then lead to bands flat out intending to play "metalcore." Horrid shit.

I've never been too big on bane or terror...they';re a bit too tough guy hardcore for me, but I don't dislike like all tough guy bands. Bane in specific I really just don't like the singer's voice, but the music was always badass.
    Bane is definitely not a tough guy band. Terror isn't really either, but musically they carry a very tough sound. What I loved about Terror was they reminded me of early Hatebreed - it's not about being a big tough dude, it's about being really angry at the world and how fucked up everything is.

Todd Jones is probably the most unsung hero of 00's hardcore. His riffs on Lowest of the Low are perfect.

And yes, Fucked Up is one of the only very recent hardcore bands that I've been interested in...did you check out any of their eps last year? GOOD STUFF.
    Great stuff. Most everything Fucked Up makes is brilliant and they're great live. One of the few bands that's kept me into hardcore over the past half-decade or so.

Yeah, that was it. i went to high school with the Stricken guys and that vets hall started out as a place all my friends' metal bands played together in high school. that was walking distance from my house growing up
    I grew up on the other side of the hill. That was the era where "the valley" started to become as synonymous with bad hardcore as Orange County, but instead of stupid haircuts and tight pants it was suburban white kids acting like street thugs. Funny shit.

I wish that vets hall could have kept doing shows, though sooner or later someone was going to break something and it would have been over anyway. If you're an LA punk, the story of your life is never having a venue stay open.

Quote Originally Posted by dorkfish View Post
    i think the lines are starting to be drawn in this thread and i feel we may be waving the same colors sir

I grew up on the other side of the hill. That was the era where "the valley" started to become as synonymous with bad hardcore as Orange County, but instead of stupid haircuts and tight pants it was suburban white kids acting like street thugs. Funny shit.

I wish that vets hall could have kept doing shows, though sooner or later someone was going to break something and it would have been over anyway. If you're an LA punk, the story of your life is never having a venue stay open.
    I honestly spent more time going to backyard gigs in the San Gabriel Valley where the crust, grindcore, and death/black metal scene was really great. Lots of gigs in Boyle Heights, la Puente, Rpsemead, East L.A., etc. there were a lot of really good gigs at the rec center at MacArthur Park too back in the day.
    last.fm

Here is my contribution.

I feel like Daughters dissapeared just as quickly as they arrived. Canada Songs was fucking excellent. I saw them live once, they played for no more than 10 min... no one was disappointed.

This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Fuck the Blood Brothers. All those pretentious assholes ever did during their sets was bitch about people in the crowd because of how they looked. "OMG THAT GUY HAS MUSCLES HE MUST BE A MACHO TOUGH GUY WANNABE." I watched that band lose a lot of fans because of that crap, annoying. I really wanted them to get beat up.

another old favorite

For some reason every time I hear Blood Brothers it immediately makes me think of 400 Blows

And Daughters were fucking awesome. i saw them open for Mastodon at the Troubadour.
    last.fm

Fuck the Blood Brothers. All those pretentious assholes ever did during their sets was bitch about people in the crowd because of how they looked. "OMG THAT GUY HAS MUSCLES HE MUST BE A MACHO TOUGH GUY WANNABE." I watched that band lose a lot of fans because of that crap, annoying. I really wanted them to get beat up.
    to be honest i loved them for years and finally got to see them live and it was fucking terrible. i stopped listening to them for quite awhile and only now can go back and listen again and enjoy it again.

youre such a dick for bringing up the daughters. i was in the middle of choosing which song i wanted to share. fuck you.

Trash Talk are the other HXC band besides Fucked Up that I really actively enjoy in the new scene. They're fucking filthy and brutal.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I honestly spent more time going to backyard gigs in the San Gabriel Valley where the crust, grindcore, and death/black metal scene was really great. Lots of gigs in Boyle Heights, la Puente, Rpsemead, East L.A., etc. there were a lot of really good gigs at the rec center at MacArthur Park too back in the day.
    Hell yeah dude, backyard gigs in the hood were some of the best times. East Los and South Central had the best backyard shows. The bands were mediocre as all hell but the good times were great times.

I miss the LA scene in general.