Page 16 of 18 FirstFirst ... 1112131415161718 LastLast

Thread: Damaged: Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Emo & Noise Rock

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Default Re: Damaged: Hardcore, Post-Hardcore, Emo & Noise Rock

This is probably more useful here than it is in the upcoming show thread. This is going to be quite a thing, this line up is fucking nuts! Excrutiating Terror is a great get.

last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

I did not enjoy seeing Black Flag. I hope FLAG is better.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Anyone have Envy box set? This band is stunning. I hope they come back soon...

9/18 Kode 9/Mala/DJ Spinn @ Verboten
    9/19 The Replacements @ Forest Hills Stadium
    9/19 Andy Stott/Function/Vatican Shadow/Demdike Stare @ Output
    9/20 There Will Be Blood Live @ United Palace

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    I did not enjoy seeing Black Flag. I hope FLAG is better.
    Flag will be so much better. If you enjoy OFF! live, I imagine it'll be the same but with Black Flag material. Which is why I didn't even bother with Black Flag, fuck them.

Not sure if anyone cares but AFI has a new song streaming on their site. It's a slow, churning number called "I Hope You Suffer" that maintains the super-melodrama thing they've been doing for the past decade. However Davey's vocals are surprisingly rough (no silly screaming) and the music has a certain bombast that's kind of new for them. Still not hard to imagine them opening for Jared Leto on this upcoming cycle.

cc: theklein25

http://www.afireinside.net/
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Meh, I still really want to see Black Flag, seeing as how it's Greg Ginn. But FLAG is going to be a blast if/when I get to see them, I'm certain of that.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by xuclarockerx View Post
    Not sure if anyone cares but AFI has a new song streaming on their site. It's a slow, churning number called "I Hope You Suffer" that maintains the super-melodrama thing they've been doing for the past decade. However Davey's vocals are surprisingly rough (no silly screaming) and the music has a certain bombast that's kind of new for them. Still not hard to imagine them opening for Jared Leto on this upcoming cycle.

cc: theklein25

http://www.afireinside.net/
    Jesus Christ this is bad.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Well, if you think this is bad, don't touch their last two albums.

I don't plan on it. It's really too bad they went the direction that they did, their first 5 albums were so great.

For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

I tried re-listening to Cro-Mags The Age of Quarrel after 15 years while doing Fun Fun Fun research, and after half of it - nope, i still hate this band.
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

If you're over 25, you can have a good laugh at this list Good old memories...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/melismashabl...ge-of-pop-punk

Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Quote Originally Posted by Spooks View Post
    If you're over 25, you can have a good laugh at this list Good old memories...

http://www.buzzfeed.com/melismashabl...ge-of-pop-punk
    I think you have to be exactly 25 to appreciate this list. As a 27 year old who grew up on a lot of pop punk, this list does not represent my interests for the the most part.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

hahahaha yeah, as a 31 year old almost all of this stuff was for kids several years younger than I
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    I think you have to be exactly 25 to appreciate this list. As a 27 year old who grew up on a lot of pop punk, this list does not represent my interests for the the most part.
    haha well when I was in high school, all my friends listened to drive-thru records artists such as nfg, midtown, the starting line and etc so this list made sense. We'd make a trip out to Long Island for Brand New and Taking Back Sunday shows at least once a month. I think between 2000-2002, we saw both of those bands at least 40 times.

ps Top 20 hardcore albums in history
    http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoasts...story_punk.php

haha well when I was in high school, all my friends listened to drive-thru records artists such as nfg, midtown, the starting line and etc so this list made sense. We'd make a trip out to Long Island for Brand New and Taking Back Sunday shows at least once a month. I think between 2000-2002, we saw both of those bands at least 40 times.
    I was into some drive-thru and victory stuff and a few of the other bands mentioned on the list. I think it was all the Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco and Something Corporate talk that turned me off. I remember ferociously hating those bands and their fans when I was in high school.

Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    I was into some drive-thru and victory stuff and a few of the other bands mentioned on the list. I think it was all the Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco and Something Corporate talk that turned me off. I remember ferociously hating those bands and their fans when I was in high school.
    Same here. I never saw those bands either! Speaking of Victory Records, that tour in 2002 with Grade, Catch 22, and Taking Back Sunday was so much fun

ps Top 20 hardcore albums in history
    http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoasts...story_punk.php
    Not a bad list, Nice to see ATDI and the Bronx on there. Although I was confused by the lack of Fugazi, 13 songs should be there. This might just be my preference, but Refused's the Shape of Punk to Come is pretty important too.

Together's Of Life And Love And Some Thing In Between is a great melodic hardcore album. Very much in line with bands like Defeater, La Dispute, Touche Amore, Pianos Become The Teeth, etc.

You can listen to it and/or buy it here: http://togetherpunk.bandcamp.com/alb...ngs-in-between

EDIT:

Oh yeah, i also finally got around to listening to Defeater's Letters Home and as expected, it's really good too!
    last.fm

A friends band, Feed Me The Forrest, just put up their first full length album on bandcamp. I haven't listened through the whole thing yet, but from what I've heard so far I think it is pretty great. It's very melodic post-hardcore that kind of reminds me of old hopesfall. The first track Murals is my favorite so far, it has a huge post-rock like crescendo and break down towards the end. It's free (name your own price) to download. Drinkey, I think you might be into it from some of the other bands you have mentioned.

http://feedmetheforest.bandcamp.com/...ty-in-anything

Diarrhea Planet 2015

Great recommendation! I like this a lot.
    last.fm

Total Abuse is back and just played their first show in 2 years this past Saturday In Austin.
    last.fm

I fully support this project. You should take a look

My name is Chris and I grew up in Long Island, NY. My brother, Nick, and I have been going to punk/hardcore shows for the past 18 years. We quickly realized that there was more to this scene than just music - it also had a strong sense of community which really helped shape us into the people we are today.

Through this film, we hope to show audiences the importance of the music that was created in the Long Island Hardcore scene. The scene started out in bars and clubs in the 80ís, and eventually went from small venues to packing out large warehouses and other locations throughout the 90ís. Kids from all over Long Island congregated to these venues and created a community where they could go to escape mainstream society, and use it as an outlet to deal with issues of everyday life. Over the course of its growth, the Long Island Hardcore/punk scene has spawned countless important bands that have ultimately influenced hardcore/punk music and eventually mainstream music today. This film will tell the story of how the scene began with its early pioneers, continuing with the explosion of its popularity, and showing where the scene stands today. The most significant bands, musicians, and those responsible for creating the scene will tell their story of how they turned nothing into something, and how they took their influences and love for hardcore/punk music and made their mark on the genre.

We need to raise $50,000 in order to finish the shooting and post production of the film (editing/color correction/audio mixing). We already have shot a bunch of great interviews and shows and feel there is a very important story to tell here pertaining to this genre of music and what it has evolved into.

Please help us finish this film, by donating whatever you can spare and/or by helping us get the word out there to as many people as possible.

Thanks in advance!

Chris & Nick
    http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/so...re-music-scene

A full set from The Get Up Kids in 1997 has been posted online by Mr. Dubin!!! He's been uploading great shows from the late 90s/early 2000s so check out his Youtube page

ps Saves the Day played a secret show last week @ St. Vitus. Like old school days, Chris just sang with the mic (no guitar) and they played "Through Being Cool" from start to finish. Dubin posted the video under 9/27! http://dubin.tumblr.com/

ATDI!

LA Weekly has posted a new list on the Top 20 Emo Albums In History! For the record, Clarity > Bleed American...

1. Sunny Day Real Estate
    Diary
    (1994)
    Diary has taken on a mythical status, as though it were handed down from some higher place. But despite singer Jeremy Enigk’s reputation as a shamanic figure, the work of Diaryappears to have been pretty straightforward: When he and fellow guitarist Dan Horner teamed up with bassist Nate Mendel and drummer William Goldsmith, the rhythm guys had already written six songs. Hence the name of the indelible opener to Diary, “Seven,” which countless bands have tried (and mostly failed) to mimic. It’s often noted that during the group’s first hiatus a few years later, Mendel and Goldsmith would decamp for Foo Fighters, as a means of suggesting that Sunny Day Real Estate bridged a gap between the obscurity of emo and the ubiquity of mainstream rock. But their impact has less to do with connecting the frayed threads of various genres and more to do with the undeniable feeling of music itself: those first two notes of “In Circles;” the wistful vocals of “Song About An Angel;” the violent crashes of “48.” The work feels both personal and, somehow, universal.-Patrick James

2. Rites of Spring
    Rites of Spring
    (1985)
    If the Reagan administration turned hardcore political, Rites of Spring made it personal. The DC band’s eponymous 1985 debut, produced by Minor Threat’s Ian MacKaye, was as groundbreaking as it was singular in punk history. Striking out against the uniformity of early ’80s hardcore, monochrome in its pissed-offedness, Rites of Spring’s only full-length album (besides the 1991 compilation End on End) furiously dismantled genre steeples in favor of raw, unrestrained emotional expressionism. The album is elevated by Guy Picciotto’s poetic lyrics and the haunting vocal presence that led Andy Greenwald, author ofNothing Feels Good: Punkrock, Teenagers and Emo, to dub him “a punch drunk Rimbaud.” -Theis Duelund

3. Braid
    Frame & Canvas
    (1998)
    Much of Braid’s back story should have prohibited its success: The Illinois quartet began as a side project, lost more members than it gained, and broke up twice. But the guys cared, and toured more than most of their peers, and in 1998, the twenty-somethings translated a fan-first attitude into sentimental confessions full of relentless energy. At once far-reaching and over-sharing, Frame & Canvas has become a pillar of the genre. -Kelsey Whippl

the full list here: http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoasts..._history_2.php

I cannot recommend the new Whores. enough. It's what I call noise rock, in the vein of Helmet, Jesus Lizard, Unsane- Amphetamine Reptile and Touch and Go Records kind of stuff, maybe with a bit of stoner, sludgey (bass reminds me of Fu Manchu) heaviness to it. Very riffy, with great hooks, pretty much no solos and clean vocals, that go between aggressive singing and a tormented scream (but not screamy, ya know?). I'm a bit disappointed that it's just another ep, rather than an lp, but there is zero filler on it. Awesome live, too, with all three members waaaay into it. Probably will be the release of the year for me. http://whores.bandcamp.com/

Oh yeah, you told me that was coming out sometime this year. I'll have to check it out.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

I'd love to hear your opinion of it, Bryan. It's getting great reviews and Pitchfork Advance streamed it for a week or so before its release. I'm loving the new Tar double lp, too, it's totally sweet.

LA Weekly has posted a new list on the Top 20 Emo Albums In History! For the record, Clarity > Bleed American..

the full list here: http://blogs.laweekly.com/westcoasts..._history_2.php
    Just saw this. it's a good list, though I'm not sure about the order they probably should have limited it to one per band, and Bleed American definitely shouldn't be on there. No Far, Farside, Hot Water Music, or Leatherface? No Osker's Idle Will Kill?
    last.fm

That hardcore list needs some "7 Seconds." The early stuff obviously
    Certain songs they get so scratched into our souls