Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Moby: The Official Thread

Arrow Moby: The Official Thread

We've had a few threads based on Moby - people almost getting hit by his car, people wandering into his house, and certain performances - but I wanted to make a thread where we could discuss him in a more holistic fashion.

And what better time to start this thread than with the announcement of a new album:

ok, ta-da, official next album announcement update. my next album is called 'destroyed' and it comes out in the middle of may sometime

hi, ok, ta-da, official next album announcement update (i would write blog but i still have some odd, preternatural loathing for the word 'blog', although now i've written it twice, blog blog blog. now five times. i'll stop now).

so! next album update (not blog)

my next album is called 'destroyed' and it comes out in the middle of may sometime. musically it's very melodic and atmospheric and electronic, and if i had to sum it up i would describe it as: 'broken down melodic electronic music for empty cities at 2 a.m'.

that's what it sounds like to me, anyway. and the music was all originally written late at night while on tour, as i often have insomnia and spend a lot of times awake in hotel rooms at 2 a.m when everyone else in the world seems to be asleep. so rather than buy more drum machines on ebay (as nice as they are) i try to spend my insomnia time working on music. then i take the songs back to my studio and try to finish them with my weird collection of old, broken down drum machines and synthesizers and i try to convince my friends to sing on it (my friends emily zuzik, inyang bassey, and joy malcom sing on the record, as do i). then i put the songs on a record. then i call it 'destroyed'. then i put it out in may of 2011. at least that is the plan.

why 'destroyed'? well, in addition to the album i'm also putting out a book of photos (with the nice people at damiani/d.a.p). i've been a photographer since i was 10 years old, and i've decided to finally release a book of photographs. i know, in the age of digital photography everyone is a photographer. but i've been shooting pictures for 35 years with a nikon f, and i used to work in darkrooms, developing and printing, so i feel like i'm not a complete dilettante digital photographer.

so, the title: 'destroyed'. i was in laguardia airport and my flight was delayed and i was wandering around and i saw a small sign that said 'unattended luggage will be destroyed', but the sign only fit one word at a time so i waited until it read 'destroyed' and i took a picture and somehow the picture and the title make sense to me when i listen to the music on the album and when i look at the other pictures in the book and yes this is a huge long run on sentence about the title and cover image of the book and album but i like run on sentences because they remind me of 'a prayer for owen meany' by john irving.

here's the picture, i hope you like it (more information and text after the picture, so keep scrolling down, thank you)

in addition to the album we're also putting out an e.p. 'e.p' means 'extended play', another vestigal descriptive term from the halcyon days of vinyl.

the e.p contains 3 songs: be the one, sevastopol and victoria lucas.

i hope you like them. the e.p is free free free, as i think that increases the chances the music will actually be listened to. also i'm the worlds best businessman, as evidenced by starting mobygratis.com which also gives away free music.

some trivia: 'be the one' was in the paul haggis movie 'the next 3 days', 'sevastopol' is an interesting city in the ukraine, and 'victoria lucas' was sylvia plath's pseudonym.

i made 3 videos for these songs (all shot on little camcorders while travelling). the 'be the one' video was shot while i was flying from nyc to l.a and then edited by my friend jo haggis (paul's sister). if it looks in any way good it's because she edited it. watch it here.

'sevastopol' was shot while flying to brazil to dj with carl cox. watch it here.

and 'victoria lucas' was shot at night in l.a when seemingly everyone else was asleep. watch it here.

ok, i'm rambling. here are the salient details: new album released sometime in mid may (here's the title and the songs that are on the album):

destroyed.

the broken places
    be the one
    sevastopol
    the low hum
    rockets
    the day
    the right thing
    after
    victoria lucas
    blue moon
    lie down in darkness
    stella maris
    the violent bear it away
    lacrimae
    when you are old

a book of photos, also called 'destroyed', released sometime in the middle of may on damiani/dap.

and an e.p released today with: be the one, sevastopol, victoria lucas

oh. and finally, i'll be touring a lot from may - september, mainly in europe but also in north america. maybe some other places, as well, but i don't know yet: http://www.moby.com/live

and i'll be having gallery shows of the photographs in different cities, to be announced soon. and there are lots of other things to announce, but i've rambled on enough, so i'll announce more stuff in a month or so.

thanks, really, and i hope that you like the album and the book and the e.p.

-moby

p.s-oh, you might notice that we've redesigned moby.com i hope you like it, the old design was feeling a bit clunky. this new one seems to generally work better.

p.p.s-here are 3 random pictures from the book that i like:

Discuss.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Default Re: Moby: The Official Thread

Live. Live. Live.

Stop with DJ craps.

/I<3Moby

he just announced his tour for Europe and its live...may-july

old school

Oo! Hopefully this year I could see him! I approve of this thread.

I really like this new EP. You can download it for free on his website. It has 3 songs.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Cool. Thanks.
    Coachella 2015 Food Wish List
    Food Trucks: Germany's Famous Bratwurst, Fist of Fusion, Komodo, Oooh LaLa Crepes, Ludo Truck, Seoul Sausage, Vizzi Truck, Kogi BBQ

Restaurants: L' Atelier Cafe, Pho Vu, Le Vallauris, Tropicale, Pomme Frite, Tutti Frutti Frozen Yogurt, Crave, Cafe Scandia, Swiss Donut

WORLD of BEER
    Bring Back The Following:
    KazuNori, At Night + Market Song, Beer Belly, Mexicali, Crossroads, Baco Mercat, Stumptown

Quote Originally Posted by psychic friend View Post
    when does set times come out?

He sucks.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Coachella Junkie schoolofruckus's Avatar

Moby live = two of the best shows I've seen. I'm pretty excited for more Moby.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    The childless 20-something year olds on the board who find a 50 something year old man fucking teenage prostitutes distasteful will probably change the hum of their tune once they produce babies, definitely. That's the missing link.

^yes, i was lucky to see him live once on the Hotel tour, it was AWEESOME! so energetic and his female singer is amazing

I would have loved to seen that. I have the dvd and it's great.

'broken down melodic electronic music for empty cities at 2 a.m' sounds good to me. Hopefully, we get some live shows in the US. The last live tour was fantastic.

Edit: Whoa, Moby is playing in Paris the night that I get there, hmm...
    Last edited by BlackSwan; 02-15-2011 at 09:02 PM.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    'broken down melodic electronic music for empty cities at 2 a.m' sounds good to me. Hopefully, we get some live shows in the US. The last live tour was fantastic.

yes, agreed on all counts.

the new EP is great. best I've heard from him in a long ass time. let's hope the album keeps up that caliber.

moby in paris would be awesome. when are you in paris?

I haven't listened to the new EP yet, but I pretty much enjoy his entire body of work.

He's due for a Coachella appearance.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

I would love to see him do a live downtempo set some day. sunrise at some festival.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I would love to see him do a live downtempo set some day. sunrise at some festival.
    Agreed. I really like Wait For Me. Does he incorporate any of that material live? Seems like the transitions would be difficult.

Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk
    NIN/Soundgarden/ - 8/14 - Austin 360
    Woods - 8/20 - Holy Mountain
    Jamie xx - 8/27 - The Mohawk
    Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town

me some Moby.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Agreed. I really like Wait For Me. Does he incorporate any of that material live? Seems like the transitions would be difficult.
    he played a lot of it on his last live tour. and it was really good. his stuff generally sounds more rock live.

I don't expect him to do a really downtempo set ever. (see: more obscure tracks off I Like to Score, Songs). but I can dream about it. lying around in fields as his band does a live rendition of Alone. sigh.

hm. never saw this before:

bonus disc has 'ambient versions'. I will have to check this out.

his upbeat stuff is good too though. don't get me wrong. I've seen him live and dj twice each, both are great.

the new EP is great. best I've heard from him in a long ass time. let's hope the album keeps up that caliber.
    Seriously, I expected to like it, but I didn't think it would be this good. If this is the direction of the new album, I can't wait to hear it.

moby in paris would be awesome. when are you in paris?
    The end of May. The show is on the 24th and appears to be the first show of the his tour.

If this is really what the venue looks like:

...I'm intrigued, but then again, he'll probably play the Fox or something after the European tour.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSwan View Post
    Make it happen. Make us jealous.

Play is still a fantastic album and Wait For Me really surprised me. I am super bummed I missed his last NA live tour. I hope I get a chance to make up for that mistake this time around.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Stoked on the new album, ep and eventual US tour. I'm guessing he'll be around NA in the Autumn/Fall again.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    ...I really like Wait For Me. Does he incorporate any of that material live? Seems like the transitions would be difficult.
    The Wait for Me show I saw in Seattle was easily as good as the Play tour show I saw in Phoenix. Here's the set-list I picked up at the Seattle show:

During this set, Moby did a little talk about how Jimi Hendrix and himself have only had 1 song each within the US's Top 40. Jimi's song was Purple Haze and Moby's was South Side, so before playing South Side, Moby and band performed Purple Haze in its entirety, which was pure awesomeness.

Also, this recording is still available:

Moby, Recorded Live In Berlin for NPR on June 26, 2009

"Sitboth"
    "Pale Horses"
    "Extreme Ways"
    "Natural Blues"
    "Great Escape"
    "Mistake"
    "Made of Stars"
    "Walk With Me"
    "Find My Baby"
    "Go"
    "Porcelain"
    "Wait for Me"
    "New Dawn Fades"
    "Wars"
    "JLTF"
    "Why Does My Heart Feel So Bad?"
    "Raining Again"
    "Helpless"
    "Disco Lies Reggae"
    "Lift Me Up"
    "Honey"

Here is the link to NPRs dl: http://pd.npr.org/anon.npr-mp3/npr/a..._moby.mp3?dl=1
    8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/17 SBTRKT @ the Fox Theatre (?)
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

The new Ep:

8/07 LeMaitre @ The Rickshaw Stop (?)
    8/08-8/10 Outside Lands #5
    8/11 NONONO @ GAMH
    8/23 NIN and Soundgarden @ Shoreline
    9/27 Simian Mobile Disco @ The Mezzanine
    10/5 The War On Drugs @ The Fillmore
    10/10 Woman's Hour @ the Rickshaw Stop
    10/17 SBTRKT @ the Fox Theatre (?)
    10/21 Jessie Ware @ The Chapel
    10/24 Little Dragon @ the Fox Theatre
    10/24 Rüfüs Du Sol @ The Mezzanine
    11/29 London Grammar @ the Fox Theatre

Ohhhh lawwwwdy, trouble so haaard

FOUR TET. HOT CHIP. SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO. BOOKA SHADE. LEE SCRATCH PERRY. BEACH HOUSE.

Richie Hawtin. James Blake. Loco Dice.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I really like the new EP. Also, for anyone in relatively close distance to Austin, he's doing a dj set on March 19th at Republic Live.
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Everything is Wrong is so great. It's got so many things that shouldn't work together on an album - house, hardcore punk, ambient - but they do.

Play is really good as well, that's the album that got me into him (and probably a few others). And I'll put in a good word for 18, even though a lot of it sounds like Play Pt. II.

I haven't heard the new EP yet, but his stuff over the last few albums has kinda bored me. Maybe this new one will be different...
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    I haven't heard the new EP yet, but his stuff over the last few albums has kinda bored me. Maybe this new one will be different...
    I pretty much wrote him off at Hotel. that and the other one he release after 18 left me with no hope. it wasn't until Wait For Me that he revived my interest. and now this new EP is very promising.

My gf(left) and Moby

Me talking to Moby to play Coachella

Awesome Pic I took of Moby

Moby can get stomped by Obi
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Moby covered a great song and put it on his best and most under appreciated album...