Thread: Car Rentals

Default Car Rentals

Simple question, how old do you have to be to rent a car in California? Ive been hearing conflicting info, is it 25 or 21?

Default Re: Car Rentals

I know one thing and i found out the hard way! You can not rent a car if you had a DUI in the last 4 yrs.

Generally, renters must be a minimum of 21 years of age to rent a standard car. Underage fees do apply to renters between the ages of 21-24. Renters under the age of 25 are not permitted to rent oversized vans, large SUVs or luxury cars.

Some companies have 25 as the minumium. So you need to contact each rental company to see what their policy is. If under age 25, do expect to pay more, if you can rent one.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Generally, renters must be a minimum of 21 years of age to rent a standard car. Underage fees do apply to renters between the ages of 21-24. Renters under the age of 25 are not permitted to rent oversized vans, large SUVs or luxury cars.

Some companies have 25 as the minumium. So you need to contact each rental company to see what their policy is. If under age 25, do expect to pay more, if you can rent one.

Thanks alot for the info mang.

Me and my buddies are all 23, but if we have to pay extra we dont care.

I think Enterprise charges $10/day for underage fee, as Hertz charges $27/day.

Quote Originally Posted by prelude0-60 View Post
    I know one thing and i found out the hard way! You can not rent a car if you had a DUI in the last 4 yrs.
    Does anybody remember the year of my last D.U.I.? It sure would help.

Thanks in advance.
    At some point in time a man switches from "I'll have what he's having" to "I'll have what I'm having."

oooooh! Does anybody know if a prepaid credit card would work if you're say...22, cause I know the check card thing won't fly.

Quote Originally Posted by Deogee View Post
    cause I know the check card thing won't fly.
    I can't speak for prepaid credit cards, but if you're coming from out of town (e.g., flying into LAX) and can show Alamo Rent-a-Car a round-trip plane/train/ship ticket, the check card thing will fly. (I don't think this works if you're local, just driving up to the rental place to get a different car so you don't have to use yours. At best, you may need all sorts of supporting docs like pay stubs and utility bills...)

Some other places like Dollar and Advantage will also take check/debit cards but only after they run a credit check on you, and they'll usually take out the rental price PLUS some percentage (I've seen 10%) or some amount that meets an arbitrary minimum (I've seen $400 total) and they'll refund that when you return the rental. Living paycheck-to-paycheck, or needing that cash for Coachella goodies/necessities, or just renting something that wouldn't normally cost three figures, makes all of this something of a raw deal. Who called out the Car Rental Gestapo?

Good thing about Alamo anyway, because they're on the low end of the rental price spectrum. I snagged an SUV from them for a week for $199 -- before I tacked on accident insurance, of course. Coz I bet you Cali drivers suck.
    For my Internet DJ gig, start here: http://xpn2.org
    For professional pictures and words, start here: http://www.desperatehours.com