Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: For those w/o camping gear and don't want to buy them, campervan rentals.

Default Re: For those w/o camping gear and don't want to buy them, campervan rentals.

I'll help.

Default Re: For those w/o camping gear and don't want to buy them, campervan rentals.

Keep the bed in the chair configuration and cover the sink with blankets and luggage. I really can't see how they'd approve a westy and not allow a modern american copy, but that's just like my opinion. Maybe we can get Dani to chime in here?
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

At least we will have a back up plan

From the Faq page:

Do I need to sleep in a tent?
    No. If you are car camping, you can sleep in your car, on your car, next to your car or other creative sleeping places as long as it's not against the rules and is within your allotted camping spot. You can not sleep in your car in any parking lots including the companion camping parking lots. If you are tent camping you can sleep on the ground in your spot without a tent if you really want to. There is no day parking or camping for RVs.

Since they aren't RVs, it will be just fine. Plus, in my experience, if someone does give you crap about the rules, quote them the facts sheet directly and they will let you pass on through. I'll be in the van covered in tree frogs from the rental place, so stop by and say hi!

These look awesome, I want one!

Quote Originally Posted by trixiemt75 View Post
    From the Faq page:

Do I need to sleep in a tent?
    No. If you are car camping, you can sleep in your car, on your car, next to your car or other creative sleeping places as long as it's not against the rules and is within your allotted camping spot. You can not sleep in your car in any parking lots including the companion camping parking lots. If you are tent camping you can sleep on the ground in your spot without a tent if you really want to. There is no day parking or camping for RVs.

Since they aren't RVs, it will be just fine. Plus, in my experience, if someone does give you crap about the rules, quote them the facts sheet directly and they will let you pass on through. I'll be in the van covered in tree frogs from the rental place, so stop by and say hi!
    Recreational Vehicle (RV)
    a van or utility vehicle used for recreational purposes, as camping, and often equipped with living facilities.
    Your campervans fit this description.

Also, since "campervan" is not in common usage in the US (which is likely why the FAQ does not mention them specifically) :

Campervan
    A campervan (or camper van), sometimes referred to simply as a camper, or a caravanette, is a self-propelled vehicle that provides both transport and sleeping accommodation. The term mainly describes vans that have been fitted out, often with a coachbuilt body for use as accommodation. In the United States the term "recreational vehicle" (RV) is more common for these vehicles, and in that country they tend to be larger than in Europe and the rest of the world.
    I know y'all really want this to be OK and I hope y'all can find a way to make your trip work well for you but trying to park an RV in the onsite campgrounds where they say no RV parking is (a) unlikely to work and (b) going to slow everything down, agitate staff and fuck up the line for other folks trying to check in.
    Last edited by mountmccabe; 03-13-2011 at 10:05 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

that's right yall

Yet they specifically show a VW type 2 and that RV2 contraption in the OK pictures. Surely you can see the confusion that has caused us. Add that to the FACTS of them being allowed in the car camping section in 2010, and the claim of the renting agency of them being coachella approved, we find ourselves drowning in ambiguity.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    Yet they specifically show a VW type 2 and that RV2 contraption in the OK pictures. Surely you can see the confusion that has caused us. Add that to the FACTS of them being allowed in the car camping section in 2010, and the claim of the renting agency of them being coachella approved, we find ourselves drowning in ambiguity.

Good luck bud. I think we will be fine. Not sure what van we have yet. They already told you? Ill have to call tomorrow and see what they're giving us.

Also, the option of them picking us up and dropping us off at LAX for a few extra bucks is pretty awesome.

Still on the waiting list, but hopeful. I'll check in with them for status next week. The LAX pickup is also a real plus.

Your van's going to get raped!

That's not how you do a rape. You may be onto something here, though. Miseducation of burgeoning rapists may be the next big industrial efficiency powerhouse. Here, apply these brass fittings according to the diagram. It's a rape. You like those.

And nobody suffers when they awake in a rohypnol stupor to find themselves dressed and pristine but standing on a freshly linoleum-ed kitchen floor they don't remember signing the work order for.

I just solved rape. They're going to name so many things after me.

Quote Originally Posted by koryp View Post
    Yep, I'm going to go ahead and believe that since both a Westy and a full size van are on the approved page, that these are in fact approved over some wikipedia thing saying they are RV's.