Thread: 1-5 stars?

old school

Default 1-5 stars?

I have some questions about marketing and honesty. Do you use the rating system on products and services such Amazon, Yelp, Netflix, 100 of other sites? How honest are you on your ratings and reviews? Do you buy products and services based on other costumer ratings? Do you believe in many of the ratings?

On this site I see that it clearly doesn’t work 95% of the time. Does this happen with many other sites where many people don’t give a shit and “troll” because it’s a useless system?

In my industry I see many of the competitors inflating their own ratings after negative comments and ratings. When reviewing products or services I would like to think that I am able to filter the real ratings from the people trying to inflate ratings or just being vindictive.

Yelp for example. Many people/chefs complain about Yelpers and wish it would go away. They don’t understand how some people can rate Mcdonalds with 5 stars, and the rail against their restaurant for spotty service one night and give it a 2 star rating.

Here is an article from our weekly rag about Yelp. A local chef rails against yelpers and feels the backlash.
    http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociet...c.php#comments

I would like to see some other articles if anyone knows of where the current marketing/rating systems works and or fails.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Default Re: 1-5 stars?

i think netlflix is the only thing where i am really accurate. i will negatively rate bad sellers on amazon (it's only happened a few times), but often forget to rate positively. i will say though that i read comments sometimes and can somewhat weed through bullshit. if one person has one bad thing to say about a seller based on shipping issues or something, it doesn't impact my choice. if many people keep saying the same thing about a seller, then i take that into consideration.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I bought a bed last week based on ratings/reviews. The older I get, the more I read into my purchases before buying them online. I have only gave a review on one thing, and it was a hotel that went above all expectations and wanted others to have the same experience I had. i

old school

I totally forgot about hotels and things like trip advisor. When I look at ratings on those sites I don't know why but I start with the negatives first. I guess I want to know the bad things to watch out for before the positive items. I think most people do this.

I would imagine that people are generally honest on Netflix, because it will determine the movies that it recommends to themselves. The problem may be that some people will be more willing to give 1 and 5 star ratings than others, but it will still have to do with their tastes, even though it might inflate a movie's rating more than it should so Netflix might think you'd give something 5 stars, when in reality, you wouldn't like the movie that much. So, I think the red (assumed) ratings on Netflix can be pretty accurate if you've rated many movies. The yellow ratings rarely reflect what my ratings will be.

And as for Amazon, I'm with Ivy in reading the comments. Especially when looking at books (or any entertainment), you're likely to come across people that will give 1 star and it will not be a careful consideration. I like that it shows a graph of how many people gave it how many stars. Like Ivy said, if lots are saying bad things, then low stars might be good representation. But mostly, the star ratings on Amazon seem random because of bad raters.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

old school

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i think netlflix is the only thing where i am really accurate. i will negatively rate bad sellers on amazon (it's only happened a few times), but often forget to rate positively. i will say though that i read comments sometimes and can somewhat weed through bullshit. if one person has one bad thing to say about a seller based on shipping issues or something, it doesn't impact my choice. if many people keep saying the same thing about a seller, then i take that into consideration.
    I have never rated or read a rating on Netflix. I think their system is still flawed even after the Million dollar netflix prize.

I usually end up reading schoolios movie corner for movie recommendations or rotten tomato.

Im on the same page with the one bad rating. It wont affect my decision, but if there are over 10 I start to question.

i've had good luck with netflix. but ultimately with a lot of things, i rely on other people's opinions. there are certain people that if they like a movie or music or a restaurant, there's a damn good chance i will like it too. whereas other people's likes are a barometer for my dislikes.

I definitely think the user review system is flawed, especially with buying music online. Most people will rate albums they purchase high because they like the band in the first place...they like the band more than enough to buy their album.

My wife always looks at an album she wants to purchase in iTunes and looks at the reviews before purchasing. I always say those are flawed, especially right after the album is released, because these are fanboys of said band/group who need to snatch up everything the group creates as soon as it's released.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

Netflix rating has worked very well with me. I will usually rate a movie what it assumed I would rate it. Any problems I've had with it have been very minor. For example, there are a lot of westerns that I love, and so there are a lot of westerns that it thinks I will give a 5 star rating to, but after seeing them, I might only give it 3 or 4 stars. So, it's pretty great and knowing what movies I will enjoy, but it's not always correct in its assumption of how much I will enjoy them.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

i don't really get looking at music reviews since it's so subjective. at least with netflix, it's based on a comparison of YOUR ratings. does itunes do something similar? i will just check out a youtube or preview a song before i buy. unless someone on here whose taste i know has rated the album, i don't trust other people's ratings on things that are so subjective.

I think iTunes has something called Genius that is supposed to review the music in your library and recommend music based on that.
    Fresh off his "JUICY AUSTRALIA TOUR"

old school

Does anyone know of a site that compiles peoples ratings and gives suggestions based upon them?

A social rating system? kind of similar to how http://www.delicious.com/ does social bookmarking.

It's all about the source...usually if you read the review, you can tell how sincere the person is or isn't. I mean if someone is really gonna take a 5-star review for McDonalds on Yelp seriously, then they're an idiot...just like they would be if they took a 5-star review for the TDK on amazon seriously (because really, it shouldn't be above 2-stars).

I actually really enjoy Amazon's reviews, and they have persuaded me to either buy or not buy different products from time to time. But you have to remember, sometimes people will review stuff on Amazon and give it one star only because they know most people will gravitate towards the 1-stars first to read them, and in their reviews they'll give their "real" rating...this happens a lot in video game reviews from what I can see.

As for Yelp, I usually only use it for places I wanna visit, because people usually tend to be honest about how great the place was and what there is to see (or in some cases, what not to see)....I wouldn't trust a lot of food reviews on Yelp though, seems like people will be a dick and troll if the waiter didn't fill up their water glass when they walk by or something.

I never rate items but I do look at an items ratings and reviews before I purchse.
    Idol snake, get out of that skin.

Quote Originally Posted by J~$$$$ View Post
    Yelp for example. Many people/chefs complain about Yelpers and wish it would go away. They donít understand how some people can rate Mcdonalds with 5 stars, and the rail against their restaurant for spotty service one night and give it a 2 star rating.

Here is an article from our weekly rag about Yelp. A local chef rails against yelpers and feels the backlash
    http://blogs.westword.com/cafesociet...c.php#comments
    It seems like the arguments presented there aren't very compelling.

It's true, Yelpers are not professional chefs or food critics, but neither are the people who are utilizing Yelp to research and make decisions about where they go. It makes perfect sense to me that people who have similar dining backgrounds and knowledge would prefer advice from people they relate to. Just because a professional foodie goes gaga over a restaurant's steak tartare dish doesn't mean that the average joe blow off the street is going to have the same reaction.

It's also true that some Yelpers may be writing their reviews based on specific components of their experience with the business that may not be valued by the business itself. For example, writing a review of a restaurant based on your interactions with the staff outside of your dining experience (or to use a Honolulu example, local surfers writing reviews of the tourist surfing schools based on their experiences watching the surfing instructors on the water). But this feedback DOES provide another component of information, and Yelp users can read the details of each individual review and decide whether to discount that rater's opinion or not. I think it's probably rare, if not nonexistent, to have a Yelp user base a decision on a rating alone without at least glancing at the written comments as well.

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

I find stars to be more misleading than the comments/reviews. Everyone's rating metrics are different, but with the attendant comments it's pretty easy to judge whether or not to discard that review as an outlier.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Also, J$, I'm rating this thread 1 star because you've never invited me to go snowboarding with you.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I find stars to be more misleading than the comments/reviews. Everyone's rating metrics are different, but with the attendant comments it's pretty easy to judge whether or not to discard that review as an outlier.
    So a star based system is misleading, but doesn't it provide a lead or intro? What could is another way to provide ratings?

I sometimes look at the (Was this review helpful? Yes - No) section that some comment aggregator provide as a lead in but rarely.

old school

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Also, J$, I'm rating this thread 1 star because you've never invited me to go snowboarding with you.
    You are welcome to come anytime. My house has an open door policy. If you make it here we are going snowboarding.

old school

I love consumer reports as they seem to be fairly accurate.

I concur with a everything Menik said. I take Amazon's reviews pretty seriously. (Unless it's for milk). I definitely read as many reviews as I can before purchasing something I've never seen or held or tried on in real life. Yelp, I will completely avoid certain restaurants if they've gotten bad enough reviews. If it's somewhere I really wanted to go, I'll thoroughly read all the reviews to see if the people were full of shit or if they were legitimate complaints. Also, back when I was in college, I visited ratemyprofessors.com religiously and picked my classes completely based on the professors' reviews. I would re-arrange my entire schedule to get the best teachers, and every single time, I was glad I did. It completely changed my college experience for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

I also agree that the stars system is too subjective and I don't really pay much attention to that. Although the 1 and 5 star ratings would probably draw my eye faster to read the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

eh, I dunno. Dismissing the stars as 'too subjective' might be a poor tactic for a business owner to use. Purchasing decisions are themselves subjective.

I use tripadvisor regularly and rely on it (mostly for choosing hotels) when traveling some place I don't know. The risk of those types of sites is the owner of the business putting up fake, glowing reviews; tripadvisor seems to take this seriously and actively tries to monitor for it and weed it out. The star ratings aren't the absolute guide but they are a starting point -- I will generally start with the best rated places and work my way down from there. One or two negative comments don't matter (sometimes it's pretty clear that the reviewer is an inexperienced traveler with unrealistic expectations), but a preponderance of bad reviews certainly does.

I absolutely will not buy on amazon or ebay unless the seller is rated very positively. Therefore I am careful to always provide a rating. But instead of a 5 star deal, for me it's a pass/fail: If the item I ordered showed up on time in good condition and was what I expected, and the billing was correct, and there were no other problems, then that's 5 stars.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Yea I read that article when it came out in Westword. Interesting but what they said is sort of well known I think ..... cr****
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Do you use the rating system on products and services such Amazon, Yelp, Netflix, 100 of other sites?
    Yes.

How honest are you on your ratings and reviews?
    100% honest. Divinely perfect.

Do you buy products and services based on other costumer ratings?
    Yes, I don't buy anything without researching it.

Do you believe in many of the ratings?
    Kinda, but I take them with a grain of salt. I try decipher the reviewers biases by their tone.

I certainly look into product ratings, but it's generally the reviews themselves that influence whether or not I buy the product (if anything's going to influence it at all), especially on Amazon. A huge portion of Amazon's negative product reviews seem to be people who don't really understand the system - people who are rating their seller experience in the wrong place, people who were expecting something different than what they bought, etc.

Yelp is a little different - if I'm out and about and I want to grab a sandwich, I'm not going to spend a ton of time reading reviews on a tiny screen. A large number of high ratings is enough to sell me a sandwich. It's an ephemeral purchase. If I'm not happy with it, I move on with my life and never have to think of it again. It's not like buying an item that you then have to own and be dissatisfied with.

I'm not very true with my ratings on Netflix. Generally, if I want something to positively influence my recommendations, I'll give it five stars. If I want it to negatively influence my recommendations, I'll give it one. I use it as more of a black-and-white "liked this, did not like this" system.
    Last edited by Hannahrain; 02-10-2011 at 10:52 AM.

It really is becoming the only way people choose to take their business, in most major cities. With Yelp, I think the majority of reviews are objective feedback from normal people; when you have 500 reviews you can usually count on most of them being honest and the rating to be the general consensus of the public. It's also extremely helpful when making a major purchase, you can get real experiences from people who are using the product - what's more helpful?

I think it really comes down to the amount of ratings/reviews. It's not quite fair to gauge something from 20 or 50 reviews but when you get up in the hundreds it tends to be quality feedback.
    1L☮e.

old school

I hate the fact that older generations still believe in things like pay rating companies such as bbb and angies list.