Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Best time to show up for car camping

Default Re: Best time to show up for car camping

so the lot they tell you to go into is totally random??
    bummer i was hoping it was more of:: if you get in the far left lanes you go to lot 8 if you go to the far right you are in 12a and then once 12a filled up everyone goes to lot 8.....
    last year was so fucked for getting inside since you didn't need a camping spot to park overnight so there were all those other cars to check (including mine :P)
    hopefully with the whole:: no overnight parking if you don't have a camping ticket thing cuts down on traffic!

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    We will be doing the same thing and our group has a bit of an international flair too. We are from WA state, a few Oregonians, 6 Aussies, 3 Brits, a few from Michigan, a few from Wisconsin, a few Californians and can't forget Boston by way of Vegas. Perhaps we should form a MEGAGROUP? We also will be arriving Wed in Indio and getting to the polo fields early as well. We camped in 12A last year, front row next to the VW camper van on the far corner near the safari tents. We had a banner that we got a lot of the people camping in that area to sign...maybe we got your signature on it?
    Yes on mega group! we meet for Breakfast at 9 am in Indio and then caravan in! We also picked up some Kiwis and more Brits. I think we need some Irish too.

Quote Originally Posted by blacklite View Post
    so the lot they tell you to go into is totally random??
    bummer i was hoping it was more of:: if you get in the far left lanes you go to lot 8 if you go to the far right you are in 12a and then once 12a filled up everyone goes to lot 8.....
    last year was so fucked for getting inside since you didn't need a camping spot to park overnight so there were all those other cars to check (including mine :P)
    hopefully with the whole:: no overnight parking if you don't have a camping ticket thing cuts down on traffic!
    They have always done that, usually around 2am, the tow trucks start to roll through festival parking.
    COACHELLA 2014

DAFT PUNK,... Ronald Jenkees! Outkast!! Prodigy! Faithless! Underworld! London Elektricity! (live set) Future Sound of London! DJ Yoda (DVJ Set!) Dillinja and Lemon D w/ the Valve Soundsystem, Ed Solo & Deekline! Dizzee Rascal!

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

I Showed up at about 5p, waited 1.5 hours to get in. We were placed between the movie screen setup and the pavillion where they had the campground DJs. Wasn't too long of a walk to the ferris wheel enterence.

I know this thread is about car camping, which is what I'm doing, but my group also has companion car parking passes, and I'm wondering how long it takes to finally park in the car companion lot? Like if our actual car camping cars and then the car companion cars get in line at the same time together, will our wait times be roughly the same? Or is car companion line significantly longer/shorter as far as wait times, compared to the car camping wait times?

Quote Originally Posted by lovethelake View Post
    I know this thread is about car camping, which is what I'm doing, but my group also has companion car parking passes, and I'm wondering how long it takes to finally park in the car companion lot? Like if our actual car camping cars and then the car companion cars get in line at the same time together, will our wait times be roughly the same? Or is car companion line significantly longer/shorter as far as wait times, compared to the car camping wait times?
    It's a new set up for companion parking. Last year's set up is different than this year's. Campanion Parking was first come first serve and no tickets. This year with tickets, it'll be new to us all.
    Wow, 12 step meetings at Coachella, who knew? SOBERCHELLA.COM

I'm a reasonable man, get off my case....

If it is impossible for me to get to the campgrounds till roughly 9pm, how long would it take to get in based on the past experiences of other late comers?

I had originally planned to get there at noonish on Thursday, but one member of my group just found out there is no way she can get out of work that day. Worst case scenario she gets off at 6:30 drives from LA to Riverside, then we drive to Indio. Best case scenario, she can get off a few hours early, maybe 3. So either way I am assuming there is no way we'd be in camp before dark. Which being that this is our first time camping, I'm thinking setting up in the dark is going to be super fun. Ugh so bummed about this developement, is there anything someone can say to make it better? Or are we just screwed?

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    early thursday people, did they fill in Lot 12A for car camping first last year? seems kind of silly.
    I arrived at noon on Thursday and was one of the first groups let through, and I camped in Lot 12A. I'm hoping I can get the same lot again this year. It was relatively quiet at night and the showers didn't have long ass lines like Lot 8 did.

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    Did you sign our banner?
    Attachment 1667

We will have a new one this year. I think we got over 500 signatures on the one from last year:-)
    Oh wow! I totally signed that along with the others in our group. Hope to see it again this year!

Quote Originally Posted by jasontx View Post
    Oh wow! I totally signed that along with the others in our group. Hope to see it again this year!
    We have a new one for 2011 but 2010 will be proudly displayed in our camp area too!

How long does each car search take on average? Do they actually meticulously go through bags and shit? Seems like that would make things take way too long.
    Last edited by Brochella; 04-06-2011 at 04:52 PM.

Ya, I'm wondering that myself. Like if I have some refreshments wrapoped up in my sleeping bag, which is rolled up and in it's case, will they be really unrolling my sleeping bag to search everything? Are they seriously going to dig through my ginormous cooler to see how much beer I have? Etc.

Quote Originally Posted by nighteulogy View Post
    We got there at 10am thinking they would start letting us in at noon. They finally started to move us along around 1pm. We were led to the 12A lot, and it was awesome! The lot was even smaller because half of it was the Safari Tents. There were a lot fewer people, but the party was just as good. The restrooms were cleaner, the showers less crowded, and you could easily sneak in to use the Safari Tent campers amenities as well, which were even nicer. So, we are doing it again this year. Our group is approximately 22 campers from all over The States and Canada (this year we have a couple of Aussies joining us). We meet up on Wednesday at a hotel before camping starts and get there early, set up, and start the party. Heck we started the party waiting to get in!
    We were pounding beers while waiting in the car line. Ended up pissed before we even got to our camp site

Lurker

i showed up at 1am thursday.

What do you suppose is the latest I could show up on Thursday for car camping and still get a spot before they stop letting people in for the night?
    He sold his soul for a shot at fame
    Catchphrase and wigs and the jokes are lame...

I'm also wondering the same question.. Has any anyone showed up at 2am and still gotten in?