Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachella vs Sasquatch

Default Coachella vs Sasquatch

I live in Vancouver and choose to drive to Indio for Coachella rather than go to Sasquatch in May. But I would like to hear what ppl have to say that have been to both, how does the gorge compare?

Default Re: Coachella vs Sasquatch

It doesn't compare. Sasquatch was awesome. I had a lot of fun. It's just not really in the same league as Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

If you are used to the friendly, polite nature of Canadians and Washingtonians, get ready for something all together different. The crowd at Coachella is what I found to be the most different. The Coachella crowd will be packed with entitled LA types that think they are the center of the world.

7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

I live in Seattle and went to both last year, and have tickets to both this year.

It really depends on what you're looking for in a festival.

This will be Sasquatch's 10 year anniversary festival so it's 4 days long instead of the usual 3. Tickets are also only $285 for all four days including camping, not to mention what you'd save on the trip down to California.

The big differences between Coachella and Sasquatch are: the sheer size of Coachella. Sasquatch pulls something like 35,000 people and Coachella did 75,000 last year (I think?). The second big thing is that Coachella will have bigger headliners (although this year they kind of suck). Coachella also has a much bigger electronic/techno scene. Sasquatch doesn't have much of anything that compares with the Sahara tent. That being said, Sasquatch usually pulls in some solid undercards. While their headliners might not be the best out there, they usually have some of the best smaller bands. Also, the Gorge is absolutely stunning when the weather is nice. People say it looks like a mini grand canyon, and that's completely accurate. The main stage is literally right on the edge of a cliff.

If money is an issue, do Sasquatch. If it isn't, do both

I love Sasquatch because it is smaller, not as hot, and is always a great time. However, last year was my first Coachella and it blew my mind.

Last thing, the women are so much hotter at Coachella. No comparison. Not even close.

I think the biggest difference was the sound. The Main Stage at the Gorge is awesome, sure, but the side stages and the tent just don't compare at all to what's at Coachella. The Sahara just smashes apart anything at Sasquatch. I remember having a conversation with Matt when the Fiver was playing, and I could totally hear him talking and everything. That would never happen at Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

I've always wanted to go to Sasquatch but I'm a little bitch that doesn't like to camp.
    Last edited by Harrisment; 02-06-2011 at 05:16 PM.
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

Ah, Sasquatch is so awesome. It's definitely more 'adult'. Not as much pushing, most of the bands have more experience under their belt, or at least very noteworthy if they're new. The camping is totally cool. You can take up as much or as little space as you want, and you can adventure around the area before/after the show, because the traffic isn't nearly as heinous as the Polo Club. The guys in the camping spot next to ours (which was many yards away from ours, not squished) they had brought their boat and planned on being on it during some of the show. They had a great time, and even offered us a trip around the gorge in their boat. So cool!
    It's a gorgeous drive, chill people, really relaxed. I did hate the bathrooms, and you leave sort of like.. wait, that's it? I say that because Coachella is so intense on your senses. There's so much of everything; bands, food choices, grass, heat, people, after-parties, traffic, drugged up kids.. Whereas Sasquatch is quaint. You walk back and can hear the bullfrogs in the pond, there are more RV's that people actually own.. haha. It's just so different. I say do both if you can!

PS the lineup for sasquatch just dropped. Coachellas lineup surpasses it for sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by EmberVega View Post
    You guys are mean. Sexy people are not meant to be smart.

August 1 - Echo and the Bunnymen - Orpheum
    August 23/24 - FYF Fest - Expo park
    October 3/4 - Desert Stars - Pioneertown
    October 17 - Massive Attack - SB Bowl
    November 8 - Slowdive - Theater at Ace
    April 10/11/12 - Coachella wknd 1 - Indio

Coach "wins" for sure, but there's enough Sasquatch has that we don't that I'm seriously contemplating trying to do both:
    Modest Mouse, Wilco, Lips, Iron & Wine, Beach House, MSTRKRFT, Flying Lotus, MAJOR LAZER!!, Archers of Loaf, Guided by Voices, Reggie Watts, etc.

And I would happily see !!!, DFA, and Ratatat twice.

It's pretty stacked in its own way. Curious how it's going to be spread out over the days.

Yeah, after seeing the Sasquatch lineup I won't be going for all 4 days. Kind of a lackluster lineup IMO

This...

vs.

This...

Also
    Coachella: 30 - 40 degree celcius under hot sun on a polo field in the middle of a vacation city in the California desert
    Sasquatch: cold - 30+ degree celcius with who knows what kind of weather conditions (hot sun, crazy wind, rain, hail) on one of the most scenic natural amphitheatres in the middle of nowhere Washington State.

Driving to Indio takes close to 24 hours from Vancouver if you drive non-stop, only taking gas and food breaks.
    Driving to The Gorge takes about 5 or 6 hours I think?

Coachella: You have the option of camping or getting a hotel room or getting a group of you to rent a condo or house. Car camping at Coachella is quite restricted with a set amount of space. Thorough car search and no booze allowed. etc.
    Sasquatch: Camping is pretty much the only option to stay close to the venue. Car camping at Sasquatch is more relaxed. You can bring whatever booze you want and no car search.

Coachella: fenced in beer gardens serving beer in plastic cups
    Sasquatch: take your 448ml (16 oz.) can of Coors Light, Heineken or I guess Kokanee this year (it used to be Molson Canadian) anywhere around the Gorge venue.
    My main concert footage YouTube Channel
    http://www.youtube.com/magmazing

My Backup channel: http://www.youtube.com/magmazingmusic

My website: http://www.magmazingmusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    If you are used to the friendly, polite nature of Canadians and Washingtonians, get ready for something all together different. The crowd at Coachella is what I found to be the most different. The Coachella crowd will be packed with entitled LA types that think they are the center of the world.
    says the smug san franciscan

Quote Originally Posted by magmazing View Post
    Hahahaha!

OMG.

Thank goodness for related videos.

Sasquatch looks like a party!

(sarcasm)
    '05, '06, '07, '08, '09, '10, '11, '12, '13, '14... '15!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sensuality View Post
    Sounds like a mashup of Benny Benassi, Spice Girls, and feces. I was really hoping for a Paris Hilton DJ set :/
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    Just wait. I bet at the Sigma Chi chapter meeting this Sunday the brothers unanimously vote to do Sahara Semiformal at Weekend 2 2015.

I've been to 7 Coachellas and 1 Sasquatch (2009). THE biggest difference for me was how much easier Coachella is. Sasquatch is on a rolling hill whereas Coachella is just a large flat piece of land. Easier to get from stage to stage at Coachella (altho post-2010, I wouldn't necessarily make that assertion). I also thought it was hotter than expected at Sasquatch, which was intensified by the fact that there aren't many places to hide from the sun there. If you're watching the main stage, you're pretty much just out in the middle of a hill with nothing to cover you. While yes, that's the same at Coachella, at least Coach has three of their stages in covered tents. That makes a difference, for sure. I also felt much more claustrophobic at Sasquatch. It's smaller, and everything kind of felt on top of each other, especially the stage in the middle where all the food courts were surrounding it. I like that with Coachella you can basically walk anywhere across the field to get to another stage, where with Sasquatch you have to stay on one or two walkways to get there.

Camping is a whole other thing I don't even have the energy to get into right now, but Sasquatch general camping was atrocious compared to Coachella. I'd never camp at the main campground again if I went there. All about Wild Horse from here on out.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Verdict?

Sasquatch blows!

Sounds like a mashup of Benny Benassi, Spice Girls, and feces. I was really hoping for a Paris Hilton DJ set :/
    Just wait. I bet at the Sigma Chi chapter meeting this Sunday the brothers unanimously vote to do Sahara Semiformal at Weekend 2 2015.

Coachella reigns supreme in my book, but that is not to say that Sasquatch is without merit. Indio polo fields ain't no Gorge Amphitheater that is for sure! For anyone that has not been there, not much else in the US compares to the natural beauty of the venue in the Columbia River Gorge aside from Red Rocks in Colorado perhaps. It is an amazing place to say the least. The lineup at Sasquatch may not be as good, but it is good, and for my money Foo Fighters have it on any band at Coachella this year but I am very partial to Mr. Grohl:-) Still, if I could only choose one, Coachella it would be but we are going to try to hit both this year if we can swing it. We live right on the Columbia river about 120 miles down river from Sasquatch so it is in our back yard almost compared to the 17 hour drive for us to Coachella. Seems silly not to go when it is so close and really...is there such a thing as too many music festivals:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Inthecolumbiagorge View Post
    ..is there such a thing as too many music festivals:-)
    QFT!

The gorge is the most beautiful venue I've ever been to. The backdrop behind the main stage is something you cannot even imagine without being there. That being said, however, I found Coachella to be a lot more fun. I like the fact that there are more people, stages, and variety in music. Living in Portland, OR also makes me much more excited about spending three days in the southern California sun, rather than the Pacific Northwest gray. Not that I don't love it here, but that sun is something else.

Despite most people speaking to the contrary, I actually found that at least near the front of the main stage at Sasquatch there's much more pushing and moshing than Coachella. I was surprised at how mellow the Coachella crowds were but, to be fair, I'm only basing that off of last year. Am I the only one to have experienced this?

Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by PDXdev View Post
    The gorge is the most beautiful venue I've ever been to. The backdrop behind the main stage is something you cannot even imagine without being there. That being said, however, I found Coachella to be a lot more fun. I like the fact that there are more people, stages, and variety in music. Living in Portland, OR also makes me much more excited about spending three days in the southern California sun, rather than the Pacific Northwest gray. Not that I don't love it here, but that sun is something else.

Despite most people speaking to the contrary, I actually found that at least near the front of the main stage at Sasquatch there's much more pushing and moshing than Coachella. I was surprised at how mellow the Coachella crowds were but, to be fair, I'm only basing that off of last year. Am I the only one to have experienced this?
    In 2009 we definitely got moshed badly during Gogol Bordello. We were waiting for Fleet Foxes, and while we liked Gogol, the fans were all asses. And it didn't help that the guy closest to us was about 300 pounds, and pissed.

Sasquatch is definitely beautiful, and it always has a really strong lineup. But Coachella is just bigger in every way, and it just has a little bit more polish to it. And nothing has exhausted me like Coachella!
    Coachella 2007, 2011
    Rock the Bells 2007, 2010
    Outside Lands 2008
    Sasquatch 2009
    HARDLY STRICTLY BLUEGRASS 2009, 2010, ∞

Coachella Rules!

Even though I fucking adored Coachella last year and will be going without a doubt this year, looking at Sasquatch's lineup, even though half of it is Coachella '10 and '11 I still cringed with envy when I looked through that lineup. I guess I'm alone here looking at some of these post but the headliners are top notch, even though they aren't absurdly popular like Kol or Kayne, well besides Foo Fighters, (which I still haven't seen yet), they are still acts I'd like to see more than some of Coachella's shit headliners, plus good undercard. This is also a filthy Riverside County resident speaking here, so I've seen my share of dry ass tweeker deserts and flat valleys, I would like some elevation for once, plus I've never been that far north.

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    I've never lived anywhere as self-important as the Bay Area. Ever.

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    truth.

I would love to do both but Coachella is like Mecca. I have to go every year.

Quote Originally Posted by Media Blitz View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Maas View Post
    truth.
    Have either of you ever been to Sasquatch? People in California are terribly self important, both in LA and San Francisco. The crowd I experienced at Sasquatch was like nothing I'd ever seen before. People saying excuse me, thank you, hello, giving you total room to dance. Waiting in lines for the bathroom instead of trying to cut in front of people.

I never once claimed that San Franciscoans are any less dickish than LA types, but there are large numbers of people from LA at Coachella. And there are large numbers of Canadians and Washingtonians at Sasquatch.

7/18: The Field @ The Independent
    8/23-8/24: FYF Fest
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

Never been to Sasquatch though I have a couple of friends who love the Gorge
    Having said that you cant' compare these festivials.
    Music wise Coachella is always far superior
    Coachella is a tier one fest and Sasquatch is in tier two

Quote Originally Posted by concertgoer View Post
    Never been to Sasquatch though I have a couple of friends who love the Gorge
    Having said that you cant' compare these festivials.
    Music wise Coachella is always far superior
    Coachella is a tier one fest and Sasquatch is in tier two
    Basically meaning that headliners at Sasquatch are equivalent to the always better second tier acts from Coachella, and no sold out frenzy to boot...hopefully

Quote Originally Posted by magmazing View Post
    This...

Coachella: You have the option of camping or getting a hotel room or getting a group of you to rent a condo or house. Car camping at Coachella is quite restricted with a set amount of space. Thorough car search and no booze allowed. etc.
    Sasquatch: Camping is pretty much the only option to stay close to the venue. Car camping at Sasquatch is more relaxed. You can bring whatever booze you want and no car search.
    venue.
    now I've only been to coachella but the car search isn't as extreme as u make it seem. They seemed to be really only looking for glass bottles because people walk around bare foot everywhere. I got everything I wanted in, party favors, booze, whatever. Wasn't that thorough.
    Last edited by Fidoosh; 02-15-2011 at 11:08 AM.

The topography of Sasquatch means I will never go. Fuck walking up and down that hill all day, Coachella is rough enough.

Quote Originally Posted by SP The Ghost View Post
    The topography of Sasquatch means I will never go. Fuck walking up and down that hill all day, Coachella is rough enough.
    So if you're not a fattie like the ghost than this statement really doesn't pertain to you.