ass on the grill

Default Re: Genesis

My brother is going to LOVE this news.

Billboard article

Genesis Bringing Reunion Tour To North America

March 07, 2007, 12:25 PM ET
    Jonathan Cohen, N.Y.

As expected, the reunited Genesis will visit North America on a fall tour that begins Sept. 7 in Toronto, the group announced this morning (March 7) at a media event in New York. So far, 13 dates have been announced through Oct. 12 in Los Angeles but more will be added. Some tickets begin going on sale this weekend.

The trio, comprised of Phil Collins, Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks, acknowledged they had discussions a couple of years ago with former members Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett about touring behind a complete performance of the 1974 album "The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway."

But after Gabriel said he couldn't commit due to obligations with a still-unfinished album, Collins, Rutherford and Banks decided to go out alone for the first time since 1992. "This is a separate thing," Collins said. "But 'Lamb' may still happen in a few years time."

Banks promised "there will be one or two songs that go back a bit farther" into the band's back catalog than on previous tours, and that the familiar Genesis medleys will be part of the set list. Rutherford added that there will be more of an emphasis on Collins playing drums alongside Chester Thompson. "Two drummers is a very powerful sound," he said.

Interestingly, there is no corporate sponsor attached to the Turn It on Again tour, top seats for which will sell for $225. "We're not doing it for the money, let's face it," Collins said. "We're not trying to come out of this with a fistful of dollars. It's very rewarding to know there's still people out there that liked us the first time around."

To supplement the reunion, Rhino will on April 24 release a 12-disc boxed set, "Genesis: 1976-1981," featuring newly remixed versions of the albums "Trick of the Tail," "Wind & Wuthering," "And Then There Were Three," "Duke" and "Abacab." The sixth disc rounds up B-sides and rarities like the surprise hit "Paperlate" from the 1982 EP "3X3." Each album will be augmented with a DVD featuring 5.1 audio mixes, new interviews, videos and photo galleries.

Banks added, "There's talk of recording every show, and we still have quite a few [old shows] left [for potential release]. It is something I promise that's in the back of our minds."

As previously reported, the reunion outing gets underway June 11 in Helsinki. The European itinerary closes with a free July 14 show in Rome. "In Italy, they used to break the doors down at gigs because they didn't want to pay, so this seems like a good way to get around that particular problem," Banks said with a chuckle.

Here are Genesis' North American tour dates:

Sept. 7: Toronto (BMO Field)
    Sept. 11: Boston (TD Banknorth Garden)
    Sept. 14: Montreal (Olympic Stadium)
    Sept. 16: Hartford, Conn. (Civic Center)
    Sept. 18: Philadelphia (Wachovia Center)
    Sept. 22: Columbus, Ohio (Nationwide Arena)
    Sept. 23: Washington, D.C. (Verizon Center)
    Sept. 27: East Rutherford, N.J. (Giants Stadium)
    Sept. 29: Cleveland (Quicken Loans Arena)
    Sept. 30: Auburn Hills, Mich. (Palace of Auburn Hills)
    Oct. 2: Chicago (United Center)
    Oct. 9: San Jose, Calif. (HP Pavilion)
    Oct. 12: Los Angeles (Hollywood Bowl)

Wonder if Phil Collins' insane drum skills is still intact.

sweet! my dads birthday is october 12th and he loves Genesis...i must get tickets!
    lollipops and crisps

Quote Originally Posted by SojuGorae View Post
    Wonder if Phil Collins' insane drum skills is still intact.
    I'm sure they are.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Interestingly, there is no corporate sponsor attached to the Turn It on Again tour, top seats for which will sell for $225. "We're not doing it for the money, let's face it," Collins said. "We're not trying to come out of this with a fistful of dollars.
    This is called Bullshit, kids. Can you say bullshit?

Yeah for sure, I smell some bulls**t. Tickets for the Police cost $250 with a sponsor, imagine if there was none. And they are totally doing it for the money but they have other reasons to reunite which is admirable though. So yeah sorry Phil you cant pull a fast one on us.

Banned

No Las Vegas date. Bullshit.

E

INVISIBLE TOUCH AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL I WILL BE THERE IN THE REALLY CHEAP SEATS BOOYAH

I'll wait til the Lamb Lies Down on Broadway tour, thanks.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Genesis w/ Peter Gabriel = interesting (if occasionaly overly pompous) band

Genesis w/o Peter Gabriel = corporate pop swill
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

http://www.drummagazine.com/news/post/8125/

Phil Collins Considers Genesis Reunion

Phil Collins is considering coming out of retirement and possibly putting together a Genesis reunion. The drummer and singer bowed out in 2011, explaining, "I am stopping so I can be a full-time father to my two young sons on a daily basis."
    But Collins said, "I have started thinking about doing new stuff. Some shows again, even with Genesis. Everything is possible... We could tour in Australia and South America. We haven't been there yet."
    The 62-year-old adds that he's ignored pressure from his manager to do more work — but he's been motivated by the the fact that his sons, 12 and 8, want him to return to the stage.
    Check out Sleeping is Giving in for great mixes and other cool stuff

Oh i hope they tour the US if they come back. Bucket list band, that is for sure.

I thought he had a problem with his spine and that he couldn't play drums anymore....?
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I just want a solo tour.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Hey here's an idea. You know those people who are desperately poor, down on their luck, uneducated, abused, and generally ill-equipped for life? Let's make fun of them.

Peter Gabriel or bust
    Arcade Fire - Sir Richard Bishop, Bill Orcutt - Spoon - Paul McCartney - Steve Gunn - Beserktown Fest - Slint - Sleep - Swans - Owen Pallett - Neutral Milk Hotel - Chris Thile & Edgar Meyer - Bobby Bradford Quartet - Matana Roberts - Wadada Leo Smith, Anthony Braxton - Thurston Moore, Sebadoh - Songs for Unseen Warhol Films - Ben Frost, Tim Hecker, Pete Swanson - Ryoji Ikeda - Slowdive - A Winged Victory for the Sullen - John Zorn Marathon

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Genesis w/ Peter Gabriel = interesting (if occasionaly overly pompous) band

Genesis w/o Peter Gabriel = corporate pop swill
    I know TomAz said this 6 years ago but still holds true.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by zircona1 View Post
    I thought he had a problem with his spine and that he couldn't play drums anymore....?
    He's talking about the latter-day, Collins-fronted version of Genesis. Also, the primary issue is his hearing.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

It is my understanding that Collins always played drums and sang simultaneously during live performances as well as on record, both in Genesis and during solo tours. And while he did lose hearing in one ear, it actually was a dislocated vertebrae that caused his hands to not work properly that caused him to retire (at least that was his explanation).
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

It is my understanding that Collins always played drums and sang simultaneously during live performances as well as on record, both in Genesis and during solo tours. And while he did lose hearing in one ear, it actually was a dislocated vertebrae that caused his hands to not work properly that caused him to retire (at least that was his explanation).
    I saw a handful of shows on abacab tour and he played drums half the time and fronted half the time.

Chester Thompson carried the rhythm section even when Phil decided to sit in.

Well, I saw them at the Bowl in '07 and he didn't play drums (maybe on a few songs just to mix it up? I don't think so though). Just your normal lead singer.
    7/23 - Fuzz - Troubadour (?)
    7/30 - Shabazz Palaces - Roxy (?)
    7/31 - Hamilton Leithauser - Echo (?)
    8/01 - Ceremony/Nothing - Roxy (?)
    8/06 - Herbie Hancock - Hollywood Bowl (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

I've got no use for most post-PG Genesis. A couple of decent things here and there I guess. I've had plenty of opportunities to see them- always passed.

If they want to do a few one off shows of the Lamb and can convince PG, count me in!
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Well, from seeing Peter Gabriel's last Bowl show, I can safely say that if he did Genesis, he'd do it with the full production and stage show, which would be incredible. I wouldn't even ask specifically for Lamb. Just give us a great set with flowerman, Raul, The Foxtrot creature, etc. etc. etc. I'd go see it in a heartbeat.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****