Thread: Channelsurfing and atdhe have been seized by Homeland Security

Default Channelsurfing and atdhe have been seized by Homeland Security

Fuck. Fuck. Fuck.
    NEW YORK — US agents have sidelined 10 websites they said were linking viewers to pirated telecasts of live sporting events including professional basketball, hockey, wrestling, and other sports.

Federal officers armed with court-issued warrants seized the online domains of Atdhe.net, Channelsurfing.net, HQ-streams.com, HQstreams.net, Firstrow.net, Ilemi.com, Iilemi.com, Iilemii.com, Rojadirecta.org, and Rojadirecta.com.

Visitors to any of the websites were being redirected on Thursday to a notice stating that the particular domain had been seized because of criminal copyright violations punishable by prison time and fines.

Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) teamed with Homeland Security Investigations (HSI) in New York to execute the warrants.

The sites provided illegal access to copyrighted telecasts of the US National Football League; National Basketball Association; the National Hockey League; World Wrestling Entertainment, and the Ultimate Fighting Championship.

US Attorney Preet Bharara urged the court to order the website operators to permanently forfeit the domain names.

The move came less than a week before a US football "Super Bowl" championship game renowned for drawing millions of viewers.

"The illegal streaming of professional sporting events over the Internet deals a financial body blow to the leagues and broadcasters who are forced to pass their losses off to the fans in the form of higher priced tickets and pay-per-view events," Bharara said.

"With the Super Bowl just days away, the seizures of these infringing websites reaffirm our commitment to working with our law enforcement partners to protect copyrighted material and put the people who steal it out of business."

Sports leagues and broadcasters lose millions of dollars annually due to pirated events being streamed on the Internet, according to the seizure affidavit.

"This swift action by our HSI New York special agents and analysts sends a clear message to website operators who mistakenly believe it's worth the risk to take copyrighted programming and portray it as their own," said ICE Director John Morton.

The websites seized were described as popular "linking" sites that connected people to online venues where pirated sporting and pay-per-view events were hosted.

The move was the latest phase of "Operation in Our Sites," an ongoing investigation into websites that illegally offer copyrighted and counterfeited goods.

US authorities in November shut down 82 websites selling mostly Chinese-made counterfeit goods, including golf clubs, Walt Disney movies, handbags and other items.

Sites targeted include burberryoutletshop.com, cheapscarfshop.com, dvdcollectionsale.com, handbagcom.com, mydreamwatches.com, rapgodfathers.com, sunglasses-mall.com, torrent-finder.com and usaoutlets.net.

"Operation In Our Sites" began in June of last year with the closure of nine websites offering pirated movies.
    http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp...99ed739f16.d71

How will I stream my free sports now?

Default Re: Channelsurfing and atdhe have been seized by Homeland Security

Fuck the police.

http://atdhe.me/

Cant stop, wont stop.

I feel much safer from terrorists knowing that homeland security has arrested some people pirating NFL broadcasts on the internet.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

What's the point of pirating sporting events that are televised for free anyway? Or rather, I guess I should ask what's the financial harm incurred by, say, the NFL if someone were to watch a game on one of the aforementioned sites as opposed to on CBS?
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    What's the point of pirating sporting events that are televised for free anyway?
    Not everybody has access to the channels they're broadcast on.
    last.fm
    6/15/14 Failure - Glasshouse // 7/9/14 Cloud Nothings/Metz - Roxy
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL
    9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

So if you live in San Diego and the Chargers game is blacked out but you can't afford to attend the game, you're costing the NFL money by watching it on a pirate site?
    "Soon they'll hear my words," he thought, "and they will know that roboto's side-splitting reign of ha-has has begun."

They want to be able to sell Sunday Ticket.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    The Smiths - makes me think bin Laden has a point.

So if you live in San Diego and the Chargers game is blacked out but you can't afford to attend the game, you're costing the NFL money by watching it on a pirate site?
    Pirate sites affect television ratings and thus affect advertising rates. This isn't that hard.
    last.fm
    7/16/14 Planes Mistaken For Stars - Echo // 8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL

Quote Originally Posted by Blinken View Post
    It's horseshit though, if the game is blacked out you don't get it on the NFL Sunday ticket if you're in the team's "market." All the goddamn money I spent on the ticket and every home Chargers game was blacked out. I live in Los Angeles btw.

Because the NFL is in such financial troubles right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Pirate sites affect television ratings and thus affect advertising rates. This isn't that hard.
    I don't live in a Nielsen household. Nielsen is what tracks ratings, right? So as far as Nielsen is concerned, it doesn't matter what I watch because I'm not affecting the ratings. If I'm wrong in that, please educate me.

BTW, I don't really give two shits about this. The Super Bowl is going to draw 60+ million viewers this Sunday regardless and its ad rates are probably never going to be seriously impacted by pirate sites. Pay-per-view events for WWE or UFC, on the other hand, have a more viable claim that their profit margin is taking a hit by sites like these being in operation. Look at the folks in the WWE thread talking about which site is streaming whatever PPV is going on. In that instance, I understand why the government would step in. It's the programs that air on free television that don't strike me as having a place in the argument, especially since bobert notes that if the point is for this to spur purchases of NFL Sunday Ticket, it still doesn't mean you'll get to watch your hometown team if their game is blacked out in your area.

I don't live in a Nielsen household. Nielsen is what tracks ratings, right? So as far as Nielsen is concerned, it doesn't matter what I watch because I'm not affecting the ratings. If I'm wrong in that, please educate me.
    Technically, you're correct in that you do not have a physical peoplemeter in your house, but Nielson uses their households to project estimates of viewership, and factors things like pirating into that. Advertising revenue is huge business, and everything regarding viewership is heavily reviewed, researched, and factored into the numbers.

Nielson will state that a television show had 20 million viewers, but nowhere near that are actually involve din Nielson households.

I took an entire class while going for my BA on television ratings, as Electronic Media Management had a lot of crossover with my major.
    last.fm

I never watched those sites anyway but I was disappointed when tvshack went down.

Thanks for the info, Drinkey. I knew it was only a representative portion of the populace that was a "Nielson household" (I like Nielsen more, but maybe that's the Naked Gun fan in me) but I didn't realize that pirating was taken into such great consideration. I didn't figure that would be something they could track in enough detail for it to be meaningful. Basically is it people who are in Nielson households identifying themselves as viewing programs on pirate sites that lead to the projection of viewership/revenues lost?

That I don't really have the answer to. I think ti's more about estimating the amount of traffic certain streaming sites are generating and factoring that into their estimates.
    last.fm

Quote Originally Posted by Blinken View Post
    This. For all the major sports.

Pirate websites cater to fans whos teams are "out of market" and won't pay the ridiculous Sunday Ticket/Center Ice/League Pass etc. fees.

I'm surprised they didn't take down Justin.tv or Ustream though. Although I think those sites absolve themselves of responsibility since it's on the user/broadcaster to take responsibility for what they broadcast. The feds could just go after that individual and not the website.

Still though. Drop in the bucket.
    Last edited by theresalwaysone; 02-03-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by digitaldragon03 View Post
    Fuck the police.

http://atdhe.me/

Cant stop, wont stop.
    This is gone too now. Damn.

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    It's horseshit though, if the game is blacked out you don't get it on the NFL Sunday ticket if you're in the team's "market." All the goddamn money I spent on the ticket and every home Chargers game was blacked out. I live in Los Angeles btw.
    All sports packages (Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings, League Pass, Center Ice) are for getting OUT of market games. If you live in Phoenix, you don't buy Center Ice to get Coyotes games, you get it to watch the Blackhawks or something.

Most sports blackouts are to protect local broadcast rights, however, the scumbags at the NFL throw an extra wrinkle in by cutting off the home markets if they don't make enough money in overpriced ticket sales.

Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    All sports packages (Sunday Ticket, Extra Innings, League Pass, Center Ice) are for getting OUT of market games. If you live in Phoenix, you don't buy Center Ice to get Coyotes games, you get it to watch the Blackhawks or something.

Most sports blackouts are to protect local broadcast rights, however, the scumbags at the NFL throw an extra wrinkle in by cutting off the home markets if they don't make enough money in overpriced ticket sales.
    I understand the concept, and I'm not even a Chargers fan so I shouldn't even care that much. But since I'm living in the barren wasteland of NFL franchises that is Los Angeles, if I pay for the NFL Ticket it should not matter that the dickless Chargers fans 3 hours and 2 counties south of me can't sell out a game, despite the fact that their team is always in contention for the playoffs. Here's to hoping that a million other sites just like Channelsuring spring up within days of this raid. It's a fucking travesty that the Department of Homeland Security has made it a priority to crack down on shitty low-resolution feeds of live sporting events while real and serious problems in this country go unchecked, and undiscussed. The least those assholes could have done was hand it off to another agency that's not supposedly in charge of keeping planes from flying into our buildings.