Page 9 of 17 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Has Headliner Potential in 5 Years?

old school

Default Re: Who Has Headliner Potential in 5 Years?

Quote Originally Posted by mikebspeedracer View Post
    i can't even put into words how lame that is.
    What's even worse is that Josh Freese is the drummer for DEVO and A Perfect Circle. Weezer has been a nice "paycheck gig" for him the last couple years with DEVO working around that somewhat.

Quote Originally Posted by Tandemind View Post
    I was under the impression that MGMT's latest album was a failure.

Adding that to the fact that they are terrible live, MGMT will never headline.

it was a commercial failure but not an artistic one. it wasn't a continuation of oracular spectacular, so people didn't want to deal with it.

its really not a bad album, but it takes a couple listens to for it to sink in

Kings of Leon

My Morning Jacket
    Fleet Foxes
    Phoenix
    Florence and the Machine
    Broken Bells
    Cage the Elephant
    Grizzly Bear
    Panda Bear
    The Fresh and Only's

the top 4 might happen within 5 years.

Gnarls Barkley
    Bloc Party
    LCD Soundsystem

Phoenix and The XX

Quote Originally Posted by JimmySkips View Post
    your band sucks...

Florence and the machine
    Adele
    Atoms For Peace
    Boubakiki>Tom Odell>Flatbush Zombies>GOAT>Austra>MS MR>Jagwar Ma>HAIM>Shlohmo>Bonobo>Woodkid>Bryan Ferry>The Knife>Outkast>
    Syd Arthur>Sander Kleinenberg>Temples>Guy Gerber>Julian Casablancas>Warpaint>Future Islands>Lorde>Pixies>Pharrell>Muse>
    Trombone Shorty>Fishbone>Poolside>Scuba>Rudimental>Blood Orange>ill-Esha>Aluna George>Little Dragon>The Toy Dolls>Lana Del Rey> Beck>Motorhead>Netsky>Arcade Fire

Two Door Cinema Club (i have a good feeling that this band will pick up very fast very soon)
    Vampire Weekend
    White Stripes (huge ass reunion)
    Bon Iver
    My Morning Jacket
    OFWGKTA
    12/6: Japandroids/DIIV
    1/10: Mister Lies/Matthewdavid

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    I can't believe I read through every single one of these posts and nobody mentioned Yeasayer or Beach House. If they both put out two more successful records they could headline in five years.

And I'm gonna throw Broken Bells in there too...although I'll admit that's probably a stretch.
    Yeasayer possibly, Beach House not in a million years...too downbeat and one note of a band, and sleepy enough to barely stretch out an hour long set, would be murder as a headliner.

Broken Bells is a side project and not that an impressive a debut to boot...don't see how you can even consider them a possibility.

You people are dreaming (and inconsiderate of the thread's title) if you think Zeppelin would ever play Coachella (I don't care to quote the several people who said it, you know who you are). If you thought the tickets for this year sold out fast, the mere rumor, for example, if Monklish decided it would be a gag, of Zeppelin playing at Coach would result in layaway tickets selling out hours after they were available, there was a fucking ticket lottery for a hundred thousand people who weren't absurdly rich or well connected in the industry to try and see them in London, btw these tickets were much more than just three hundred dollars. Zeppelin playing there would mean that over half of the attendants to that year wouldn't even realize that there was a festival going on around them as they wait for Zep

My money is on Janelle Monae, thank you Grammys, but this a great possibility of happening within five years.

Yeasayer lol

Phoenix could probably do it with one more hit album. Ditto for TVotR or Hot Chip maybe?

With two more hit albums Florence + The Machine might be able to pull it off.

In an awesome world Janelle Monae will be there in 5 years, but the Metropolis suite went *nowhere* commercially, and while everyone was talking about how awesome Archandroid was, she never seemed to get much / any mainstream traction (even after touring with Prince and No Doubt, of all people).

Band i'd love to see experience a Killers-esque trajectory from tiny font tent-opener to headliner, although it probably won't happen? The Joy Formidable.

Quote Originally Posted by IlliniQ View Post
    Yeasayer possibly, Beach House not in a million years...too downbeat and one note of a band, and sleepy enough to barely stretch out an hour long set, would be murder as a headliner.

Broken Bells is a side project and not that an impressive a debut to boot...don't see how you can even consider them a possibility.

Wasn't Portishead a headliner a few years ago? Tell me they're not sleepier than Beach House. Songs like Zebra, 10 Mile Stereo, Lover Of Mine and Used To Be are just as upbeat as anything Portishead or Bjork ever did. (I could add Jack Johnson, Coldplay & Oasis to the list of "sleepy" headliners but I'm sure most people here would agree that those bands suck)

Plus I think you have to consider two (or three) more hypothetical albums from them in the next five years, that's part of the point of the thread. Who knows how many "hits" those records might generate. And maybe their sound will become more upbeat. I think Beach House has a certain level of "fantastic" that could headline Coachella one day. They certainly have the talent to produce some more great music. And they're likable.

And I said Broken Bells was a stretch. I do think their debut was impressive though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

^ As I said, I'm hoping the Grammys might add to her popularity and future commercial success, at least a lot of kids will probably see her albums and recognize her crazy hair now

OFWGKTA/Joy Formidable/White Stripes reunion
    Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    What is lulz?? Lol!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fourthisto View Post
    The 28th is the middle of March?? Holy CRAP its 56 days long!??!?! June just got OWN'D!

LCD Soundsystem/the White Stripes/REM

11/24 Interpol @ T5
    11/26 Joris Voorn @ Output
    11/28 & 29 Time Warp
    11/30 Run the Jewels @ Stage 48

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.

Coachella Junkie Neighborhood Creep's Avatar

Bon Iver
    Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    When Foster the People played Pumped Up Kicks I freaked the fuck out because I thought that song was long gone

Odd Future will never headline Coachella..... ever.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

The national could headline now. They sold out the hollywood bowl and debuted at #2 on the billboard

Modest Mouse
    Death From Above 1979 (if they keep the reunion going long enough to crank out a new album or two...)
    Skrillex (FUCK ME)
    Feist
    TV on the Radio
    the Black Keys
    it's like, at coachella, we can be a whole group of friends. a whole group of frogs jumping into the streets, jumping into the planet, climbing up the buildings, swimming in the lakes and in the bathtubs. we would be hundreds, thousands, millions. the biggest group of friends the world has ever seen, jumping and laughing forever. it would be great, right?
    Coachella 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012x2

Deadmau5
    The xx
    Jack White (solo project)
    Kid CudI
    Lil Wayne
    Phoenix
    Kasabian
    it's like, at coachella, we can be a whole group of friends. a whole group of frogs jumping into the streets, jumping into the planet, climbing up the buildings, swimming in the lakes and in the bathtubs. we would be hundreds, thousands, millions. the biggest group of friends the world has ever seen, jumping and laughing forever. it would be great, right?
    Coachella 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012x2

Skrillex will never headline Coachella. And neither will Odd Future.

Phoenix, Bon Iver, The National and The Black Keys can definitely have headline in the upcoming years.

Mumford & Sons, Phoenix, Lady Gaga,The Black Keys, Florence + the Machine, Foster the People, Drake, Cage the Elephant

Not: The National, Kid Cudi, Modest Mouse, Skrillex
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

The National, The Black Keys, Phoenix.
    Quote Originally Posted by ballroomdancer22 View Post
    Mumford & Sons, Phoenix, Lady Gaga,The Black Keys, Florence + the Machine, Foster the People, Drake, Cage the Elephant
    Lady Gaga sells millions of records and sells out arenas. Has been doing so for years.

No on Drake and Cage the Elephant (lol). Foster the People are one hit wonders. Look for them to disappear in the next few years.

Wasn't Portishead a headliner a few years ago? Tell me they're not sleepier than Beach House. Songs like Zebra, 10 Mile Stereo, Lover Of Mine and Used To Be are just as upbeat as anything Portishead or Bjork ever did. (I could add Jack Johnson, Coldplay & Oasis to the list of "sleepy" headliners but I'm sure most people here would agree that those bands suck).
    Portishead was the backup headliner if Prince couldn't perform.
    Last edited by Phunkevil; 12-22-2011 at 10:13 AM.

If The Weeknd doesn't fizzle out or crash and burn before reaching star status, that cat will be at LEAST sub-headlining within a few years. Shit, maybe even sooner with this momentum behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian View Post
    Modest Mouse
    Death From Above 1979 (if they keep the reunion going long enough to crank out a new album or two...)
    Skrillex (FUCK ME)
    Feist
    TV on the Radio
    the Black Keys
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian View Post
    Deadmau5
    The xx
    Jack White (solo project)
    Kid CudI
    Lil Wayne
    Phoenix
    Kasabian
    The bolded COULD headline in the future. The rest are subs down the road at the very best. Deadmau5, Kasabian, Kid Cudi, Skrillex, DFA 1979, Feist and TVOTR are not going to be headliners at any point in their careers in the future. Jack White won't headline unless it's a White Stripes reunion.

EDM headliners down the road? Outside of Daft Punk, I don't see anyone who could fit the bill, not even Deadmau5. The fiver could close the main stage, but he wouldn't be a top-billed headliner.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 12-22-2011 at 10:40 AM.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

i don't think modest mouse would ever be booked to headline coachella, regardless of how this album produced by big boi goes over.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    i don't think modest mouse would ever be booked to headline coachella, regardless of how this album produced by big boi goes over.

Exactly. MM will never headline Coachella...as much as I love them, they will never top the popularity they got when they released Good News (good Lp but definitely not their best. This is a long drive & Lonesome are the best ones in my opinion). And plus, Issac hates playing festivals...last time I saw them at Pitchfork 2010, he looked like he didn't give a shit! But Sasquatch 2011 set looked amazing....SHIT LUCK!

11/24 Interpol @ T5
    11/26 Joris Voorn @ Output
    11/28 & 29 Time Warp
    11/30 Run the Jewels @ Stage 48

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Help me decide what to wear to the show I'm going to tonight, everyone. I'll post pics of my six different potential outfits in a second.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    What is it about a band you love unconditionally that makes you adore them? Otherwise I'm going to just rip all over your shitty taste in bad bands.