Page 12 of 17 FirstFirst ... 78910111213141516 ... LastLast

Thread: Who Has Headliner Potential in 5 Years?

Default Re: Who Has Headliner Potential in 5 Years?

no. no she couldn't.

Quote Originally Posted by nechadi View Post

First of all, think about it, to headline you have to have STAGE PRESENCE. Does mopey Beach House have that? No. And I'm a huge BH fan. I'm also realistic.

Think about bands like the Killers and Muse, bands that were 6 point font on the poster back in the day...then honed their live shows, put out some ANTHEMIC songs, add some fireworks and lasers and viola, Headliners.
    so why couldn't Beach House hone their live show and put out some ANTHEMIC songs and become headliners?

haha alright i'll give it a rest. this thread is ridiculous but i kinda love it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

have you heard Beach House?? That's not what they do...they're too busy looking down..the first firework that goes off would scare the living piss out of Alex.

This thread is beyond ridic! haha

The Roots, TV on the Radio, The YYY's
    Stevie Wonder, Jurassic 5!!, Magnetic Man, Pogo, Tycho, Tears for Fears 2013

Coach 06,07,08,09,10,11,12,13(1)
    Sasquatch 12
    Lolla 11(Chile)
    VOODOO 11
    Street Scene 07,08,09
    Rock the Bells 07

Animal Collective, anyone?

got a new album in the works right now, they were high up on 2011's poster. Why isn't this obvious?

Take your pick:

Phoenix
    The XX (if they don't screw things up)
    Florence
    MGMT
    Bon Iver
    Vampire Weekend
    Deadmau5
    Mumford
    Band of Horses
    M83
    The Killers (again)
    The Temper Trap (given a good 2nd album and continued success)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Every band ever will play 2012

old school

Florence just sold out 9,000 tickets before noon first day sales. Deer Lake Park Vancouver/Burnaby

Stripes/Bjork/REM/Keys/Arcade didn't do that as quickly when they played the same venue in recent years.

Quote Originally Posted by witham View Post
    ^The Knife counts as EDM, but I don't see them headlining. There isn't anybody I can think of unless Deadmau5 releases an album that gets sampled by Kanye.
    The Knife probably won't be headlining anytime soon, unless somehow their next album is a massive commercial success.

Quote Originally Posted by icedKeg View Post
    these debates are so hard to have because it's all hypothetical. a year ago nobody would have said Bon Iver and now you're all saying it. if Beach House's 2012 release has the same commercial and critical success that Bon Iver had in 2011, they are just as much worthy of headlining in 3-5 years. You can't say Bon Iver COULD headline within the next five years and Beach House could not. Beach House's sound is just as large as Bon Iver, and in my opinion it is larger.

Edit: and Kid Robot I'm not trying to single you out, you just had basically the point i'm trying to make in your previous post. there seems to be a few folks that are saying Bon Iver yes, Beach House no.
    I see what you mean, but Bon Iver's music totally transforms live on stage. On record, yes, you could say both of their music doesn't have a large sound, but Bon Iver does a complete 180 when performing live. Beach House, however, does not. And I agree what the other person says about stage presence. They are definitely not boring to watch, but you're simply watching them perform the music, not really watching an actual audio-visual performance piece. Coachella headliners (most) give a SHOW, not simply a rendition of their record music.

Quote Originally Posted by flowbee View Post
    There's no question she could headline right now if she wanted to even with only 2 albums. It's not likely for her to do festivals but if Coachella had the opportunity to book her would they not? If on the lineup, are we saying she's someone who'd be billed under the Black Keys and between SHM and Mazzy Star? We're talking about the hottest name in music right now. Is she too boring? Coachella has surprised us before.
    Adele might be able to headline after another huge commercially successful album, but if she was on the 2012 bill, she would have been a subheadliner tops.

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarator View Post

got a new album in the works right now, they were high up on 2011's poster. Why isn't this obvious?
    This seems plausible.

Quote Originally Posted by Auckland View Post
    The Temper Trap (given a good 2nd album and continued success)

Yeah I could see Animal Collective.
    '10, '11, '12.1, '13.1, '14.1

Quote Originally Posted by KidRobot View Post
    I see what you mean, but Bon Iver's music totally transforms live on stage. On record, yes, you could say both of their music doesn't have a large sound, but Bon Iver does a complete 180 when performing live. Beach House, however, does not. And I agree what the other person says about stage presence. They are definitely not boring to watch, but you're simply watching them perform the music, not really watching an actual audio-visual performance piece. Coachella headliners (most) give a SHOW, not simply a rendition of their record music.
    true dat. i got you. i've noticed that i often agree with most things you say around here Kid Robot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Pee Wee Herman's Hermits View Post
    Melted my face off at Skrillex

I'm talking strictly potential. If their 2nd album is bigger than their first and they have an extensive tour, then follow that up with a successful 3rd album, it doesn't seem impossible. And yes, I know, that rationalization could apply to anyone.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mugwog View Post
    Every band ever will play 2012

I think if MGMT's new self-titled album is as good as their first one, they'll headline next year. but if we're still talking about the 5 years from now thing, I'm taking LCD Soundsystem, Bon Iver, and Animal Collective.
    I think the only rapper that's popular now that hasn't already peaked is Drake, even though I hate him. I think that unfortunately, Drake can headline in 5 years.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AeroplaneJunkie View Post
    I think if MGMT's new self-titled album is as good as their first one, they'll headline next year. but if we're still talking about the 5 years from now thing, I'm taking LCD Soundsystem, Bon Iver, and Animal Collective.
    I think the only r
    and then aeroplanejunkie died, unable to finish his final post.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    and then aeroplanejunkie died, unable to finish his final post.
    and on the 7th day, he was revived, and goldenvoice hooked it up with weekend 2 passes so he couldn't worry about Jeff Mangum conflicts :')

I don't know about Animal Collective ever headlining, I think it would be risky looking at their setlist last year, they don't seem to give two shits about pulling out hit after hit in order to appeal to the largest audience. I'm sure they were plenty of casual fans or people who only recognized the name that were walking by or who came in late to see them and thought the monitors were broken or something. Granted I would shit bricks if they did headline, I doubt it will happen in five years though, that seems too late for them, they opened for AF last year, if it does happen it would be with their next album release if it has a song in a Itunes commercial or something.

Edit: Fuck MGMT headlining, they'd have to do something about their dreadfully boring live show to ever justify a headlining spot. Granted, they might just not belong in a festival setting, I haven't seen them anywhere else, but still, anybody who says MGMT can headline has probably never seen their show live.
    Last edited by frizzlefry; 03-06-2012 at 07:23 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

What electro artist do you see headlining? Because the only EDM artist I see with headlining potential is Daft Punk.
    In upcomming years?? I think you will find the real friday headliner this year is shm, not the black keys.

Edm is exploding in popularity, if gv swings with this trend any numer of 10 cheese acts could headline with superstars like avicii and skrillex going from 0 - megastar in under a year. I dont see anything like this in the "rock" sector these days.
    "How long will this last, this delicious feeling of being alive, of having penetrated the veil which hides beauty and the wonders of celestial vistas? It doesn't matter, as there can be nothing but gratitude for even a glimpse of what exists for those who can become open to it."

there won't be any EDM headlining acts until Daft Punk does it first. Then yes it will explode. Kinda like how it's not unusual for a rap artist to headline a day, there'll be an EDM headliner. Except the only reason there are rap headliners is cause they've run out of rock headliners.

BASEDGOD

SHM might draw a larger crowd than The Black Keys, but I still couldn't see them actually putting Swedish House Mafia in big letters on the top line.

SHM might draw a larger crowd than The Black Keys, but I still couldn't see them actually putting Swedish House Mafia in big letters on the top line.
    Maybe but the Black Keys are pretty big, they are one of the few bands that has crossed over to VH1 and top 40 while still maintaining artistic credibility and in my opinion still make great music. SHM is the biggest EDM act of the weekend though, right?

I personally think it's a toss up between Guetta and SHM, even if most Guetta fans don't realize their favorite Usher or Minaj song is actually a Guetta track
    Quote Originally Posted by pachucasunrise View Post
    Thought this said Of Mice & Men. Now THAT'S a scary thought...
    Quote Originally Posted by iantmcfarland View Post
    Just don't schedule them anywhere near White Rabbits.

Quote Originally Posted by brycerosen View Post
    The Roots, TV on the Radio, The YYY's
    As much as I hate to say it The Roots and TV on the Radio are never going to be headliners. As much as I love them both they are always going to be the "cool indie" sub headliner and never the massive popular mainstream headliner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

Quote Originally Posted by Garbarator View Post

As much as I loved seeing them last year, the crowd that stormed away from the main stage five minutes after they began playing was MASSIVE.
    I don't think they'll ever be enough of a ticket buying draw to be a headliner

black keys sold out madison square garden in fifteen minutes. all the biggest edm acts in the world have played coachella in the last decade. none of them headlined the main stage. what in the hell is a house mafia?

SHM sold out MSG in less time. Does that make them a more worthy headliner?

Quote Originally Posted by witham View Post
    SHM sold out MSG in less time. Does that make them a more worthy headliner?
    considering that the black keys have played new york about twice a year since 2009, no, not really. theres a difference between a band that constantly comes through and can still sell out an arena and a rave act who rarely do. then theres the whole part where house music is shit.

So what this is really about is the fact that you don't like house music and are upset it might grace the main stage, right?

If this next Animal Collective album is as big or bigger than MPP, and they go on another post album release tour, like they did with MPP, i could see em headlining 2013, or 2014 maybe.

idk about 5 years from now, maybe, they could be huge in 5 years.

In 5 years? This is so tough because we never know who's gonna blow up out of no where. How about span of 3-7. Some possibilities I guess? Even though apparently everyone and their mom is wrong with their predictions because everyone has their panties in a bunch.
    Bon Iver
    Mumford and Sons
    Muse
    The Killers
    Rage Against The Machine (Fingers Crossed)
    The White Stripes
    The Mars Volta
    Foo Fighters
    Coldplay
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    Rush
    Outkast
    Eminem
    Drake (maybe with The Weeknd if he blows up)
    Death Cab For Cutie (if they come through with an amazing album next time around)
    RHCP (One last chance)
    Some Amazing Superband that comes out of no where?
    More and More reunions
    Paul Mcartney and Ringo Starr playing with holograms of John and George as The Beatles (One can dream)
    Incubus (this will never happen even though I think it should)
    and a lot more I can't think of, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by TeaJay View Post
    In 5 years? This is so tough because we never know who's gonna blow up out of no where. How about span of 3-7. Some possibilities I guess? Even though apparently everyone and their mom is wrong with their predictions because everyone has their panties in a bunch.
    Bon Iver
    Mumford and Sons
    Muse
    The Killers
    Rage Against The Machine (Fingers Crossed)
    The White Stripes
    The Mars Volta
    Foo Fighters
    Coldplay
    The Smashing Pumpkins
    Rush
    Outkast
    Eminem
    Drake (maybe with The Weeknd if he blows up)
    Death Cab For Cutie (if they come through with an amazing album next time around)
    RHCP (One last chance)
    Some Amazing Superband that comes out of no where?
    More and More reunions
    Paul Mcartney and Ringo Starr playing with holograms of John and George as The Beatles (One can dream)
    Incubus (this will never happen even though I think it should)
    and a lot more I can't think of, etc.
    Do you really think Paul and Ringo could headline in 5 years? I guess if they have some sort of break out album followed by another hit album.