Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do performers come out after their sets and greet with fans?

Default Do performers come out after their sets and greet with fans?

As a first time attendee this year, I was just wondering if you all have ever had a performer come out after their set and greet the fans and sign autographs? If so, who would you say is likely on this year's lineup to do this? In addition, have you ever seen a performer at another performer's set? Is this likely?

Thanks,
    eviality

Default Re: Do performers come out after their sets and greet with fans?

Some artists have scheduled signings at the Virgin Megastore tent.

If artists are in the crowd they might not want to be bothered. That asshole Flea gave my girfriend shit when she wanted to take a picture in the VIP last year.

flea's grimey as hell. did you have to wash it several times to get the smell out?
    What happen if someone make a crime?

Buck 65 did in 2005...we talked baseball because he was drafted by the Yankees out of JuCo

lollipops and crisps

I think I saw Sherri DuPree (Eisley) out and about in 2005. In fact, I think I was standing right by her during Secret Machines.

That, or her doppleganger.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I've found that MOST artists would rather enjoy the fest as you do, and not be posing for pictures every 5 secs, because if one does it, they there is a feeding frenzy that occurs.

Here's my first hand account of good and bad artists "greeting" fans at Coachella through the years, both in vip and out on the grounds (the virgin tent does not count).

THE GOOD:

Tommy Lee
    - yes that Tommy lee, many remember him riding his Segway around, but he stopped many times and posed for tons of pictures and was super nice to both ladies and gents. (VIP and grounds)

Stuart from B & S, was nice to everyone, he peaked his head out of the fence about 20 mintues before they went on in 2002, signed afew records and chatted with a gourp of kids for about 10 minutes, then rushed up on stage and started the show. (VIP and grounds)

Tim from Charlatans, he and girlfriend/wife were very pleasant to fans in VIP area, he did bolt once Oasis went on. (VIP)

Cornershop, the entire band was out early walking the ground they were all smiles. (VIP and grounds)

The Libertines - Carl mainly kept to himself, but Gary and Pete talked and joked with a ton of fans, got lemonade, signed fans stuff, had fans sign his shirt, asked who everyone was seeing, etc... very surprising (VIP and grounds)

Mani from Primal Scream - treated Coachella like one big party, he loves everyone.(VIP and grounds)

Kosheen - also nice to everyone (VIP and grounds)

Nick from Queens - surprisingly approachable in 2002, didn't mind signing and posing with fans (VIP and grounds)

Noel from Oasis - after he watched Cornershop, signed for fans at the fence and posed for fans in VIP, just a few as his security wisked him away after 2 pics (VIP and grounds)

THE BAD:

Bjork - capped the number of photographers in the photo pit, refused interviews, and was only really seen on stage, then wisked away

Morrissey - see above, but add helicopter, that was of course in 1999.

Rage Against the Machine - also in 1999 I saw someone ask Zack D for a picture and he said no, walking away he added, " there are far more interesting things you should be doing". I found it rude and weird? (VIP only)

Brian Jonestown Massacre - they watched a ton of bands in 1999, but told fans to "fuck off", if they tried to talk to them, (seen watching Pavement and Super Furry Animals, grounds)

Bobby from Primal Scream - ignored request for pictures and or autographs, Primal Scream then later ditched their signing tent appointment. (VIP)

Flea - rude to anyone he didn't know (VIP)

Liam from Oasis - he refused a few fans that braved asking while he watched Prodigy

Beta Band - ignored people that came up to them by saying they had to go, repeated times (grounds)

Blur - ran from trailer to stage then back to trailer, didn't stop when a fan approached Damon, he just gave her the "hand" (VIP)

Now I'm sure others have had or seen different things - this in no means is commentary on these artists' personally, I was just answering the post with a few first hand experiences.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 03-07-2007 at 09:36 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Last time Arcade Fire played I saw the red headed guitarist dude relaxing in one of the chill-out tents, and he seemed friendly as I said hello. Then my brother went to say hello as well (after I told him who he was) and he said he was trying to get some sleep. Can't really blame the guy for wanting to get some rest, but as arguably the most recognizable band member of one of that year's bigger bands, I'm not really sure one of the public tents was the best place to accomplish this.

Haha, I saw him in the VIP area and a half hour later ended up behind him at M83. Didn't say anything, though, because I probably creeped him, and the rest of the Arcade Fire, out enough when they played the Troubadour. They pulled up next to me in their van because they thought I worked there. Why else would somebody be doing that? Unless they were some groupie/stalker. And there I was talking to Win Butler and I didn't realize it was them for a few seconds. Wow, that was good times.

Zack de la rocha is normaly very polite
    A good song should make you wanna tap your feet and get with your girl. A great song should destroy cops and set fire to the suburbs. I’m only interested in writing great songs. - Tom Morello

Haha, now how did I know someone would come to Zack's aid on here, like I said people I wasn't commenting on them personally. I'm sure he's a great dude.

Continuing chilling Ragers.
    The Glitter Freeze

Haha, now how did I know someone would come to Zack's aid on here, like I said people I wasn't commenting on them personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    this in no means is commentary on these artists' personally, I was just answering the post with a few first hand experiences.
    I'm sure he's a great dude.

Continuing chilling Ragers.
    The Glitter Freeze

vinylmartyr

I talked to Damon Albarn in 03 and he was super nice.

In case you were thinking of getting autographs, security does not allow paper nor Sharpey pens.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

2 years ago after seeing Razorlights set and then headed over to the VIP area (I knew people I am nobody) and Johnny was in front of us to get a drink, my friend and I just said that we thought the set was great and we really enjoyed it...he smiled and said thanks and then left with the girl he was with....very nice guy.
    Last year I was standing talking to Babydaddy from Scissor Sisters before their set and he would always break conversation to say hello and take a pic with a fan.
    "God got Wendys' period mixed up, every 28 days she starts acting nice...it lasts about a weekend."

at coachella in 2004 i saw geoff, tom and steve from the band thursday walking around. they've always been nice any other times i've seen them before or after shows so i had a nice little chat with them about the bands playing that day.
    I'm a loner Dottie, a rebel.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    In case you were thinking of getting autographs, security does not allow paper nor Sharpey pens.
    PAPER CUTZ > AIDZ NEEDLES

plz no one cut me with papers while i dancing so fast plz.

Immortal Technique joined the crowd after his performance.

A meet and greet of sorts.

I didn't stick around though, don't really care about the artists themselves. Just sing the damn songs and get off stage plzkthx.
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Most of the people I've encountered have been really cool - Beck, Jack Black, and a few others whom my husband recognized as members of bands but I'd have never known the difference. But, we just said hi and treated them like any other wandering person. Do you really gotta get the autograph or can you just enjoy the moment?

Virgin has an autograph tent where about six bands come to sign each day at a specific time...I've never been but I walked by last year when Ladytron was there, and I think I saw the Donnas one time also. Sage Francis was walking around, shaking hands and watching Subtle a few years back. I remember seeing Tommy Lee being friendly with the crowd.

correct.

I did not include all the tent signers.
    The Glitter Freeze

Ladytron signed last year? No way.

The only signing I cared enough to attend was the Dresden Dolls in 2005 and they were all sorts of wonderful.

Hoping for Jarvis and Blonde Redhead and CSS this year.

Maynard from Tool was walking around during Paul Oakenfold's set last year in the Sahara tent. It was strange, no one noticed him. He walked right in front of us and we didn't know what to say.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post
    The only signing I cared enough to attend was the Dresden Dolls in 2005 and they were all sorts of wonderful.
    Yea, the Dresden Dolls were really awesome when I met them during their tour with NIN at the Austin date. Trent was doing his last song, so I headed over to a tent where they were about to start signing. I got there a few minutes before anyone else and chatted with them about the show and the tour. Both of them were really cool.

slug was walking around during Brother Ali's set last year too. He also signed at the Virgin tent and he was very nice. He talked to me and my friend for a few minutes while he signed other people stuff. He actaully recognized us from a few other shows cuz he would come talk to the crowd that would hang around after the show. Very nice guy...just dont ask him about the Lucy Ford EP's haha
    lollipops and crisps

In 2005, during the second day I was stoned eating a pizza at an empty table. Sage Francis sat down at the same table and we proceeded to have a conversation. He's a chill guy. Very polite. Haha he complained about the price of the food.

Sage is cool as hell. We saw MURS last year buying a churro with his lady-friend. People were going up to him and taking pictures, and he was very cool with all of them.
    Coachella Vet: '99, '01, '02, '03, '04, '05, '06, '07, '08, '09...

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    SUBBASS49 WAS AN INSIDE JOB!!!!!!!

Bobby from Primal Scream - ignored request for pictures and or autographs, Primal Scream then later ditched their signing tent appointment. (VIP)
    when they went off stage, i had a hand full of thier cd covers and followed/begged bobby to please please please just sign one for me. He reluctantly signed my Screamadelica cd.
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Blur - ran from trailer to stage then back to trailer, didn't stop when a fan approached Damon, he just gave her the "hand" (VIP)
    I ran into Damon and walked over to him and just touched him. Later I ran into him again and he touched me back. LOL (that was weird)
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Banned

You are weird, Psychic Girl.

E

I was given a band pin by Pete Dougherty of the Libertines after my daughter said that I loved the Libertines(he was just roaming about late at night on the field). w We saw the entire group of kids from Eisley at the Outdoor theatre before we knew they were a band .My kids remarked about what a cool family they were and next day they were on stage. And the guys from Kinky were catching other acts too. So some people just want to enjoy the festival too.