Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Coachella 2001

Default Coachella 2001

Who was there? I was. I don't remember much. I remember seeing the Dandy Warhol's, Iggy Pop, Weezer, Paul Oakenfold, and Jane's Addiction. It was very fun I had a blast. It was my first concert ever. Does anyone have any pictures?
    COACHELLA VETERAN

2001 ~ 2007 ~ 2010 ~ 2011 ~ 2012

Default Re: Coachella 2001

I remember seeing Sigur Ross there for my first time. They were all dressed like cultists druids and played the most mesmerizing music.

My group mainly went to see The Orb, who ran into technical difficulties and were only able to play for about 15 minutes before they got shut down at midnight due to the noise curfew. I think the Chemical Brothers were playing a DJ set in the next tent over.

There was no camping, that I recall, but we hung out after the show with a ton of cool people in the parking lot. Good times.

Mesa, Az, Amsterdam and Antwerp when I can!

I remember allot about it. It was a great disappointment not to see more of The Orb. That technical difficulty started when the previous group played over an extra 30 minutes of a crappy set.

Fat Boy Slim was amazing as always! Chemical Brothers made for a great dance time. Good visuals also. I really enjoyed the Roots and Roni Size was my first experience with live Break Beats. It was amazing.

Seeing Oaky for the first time was also cool and Christopher Lawrence spun a great set. Photek and DeiselBoy also made it a great experience.

The big disappointment was going all that way for only 1 day! Now 3 days are just perfect.
    99, 01, 02, 03, 05, 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11,12,13, 14
    Dancing In The Desert and Loving Every Minute of Coachella!

Check out my Coachella pictures at Flickr.com under AJVaughn.com. Other art work there also!
    There are 3 Coachella sets on Flickr.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanjvaughn/sets

JANE'S!!!!!!

^Janes killed it

I remember I was right up front. I was nearly crushed by the time Jane's finally came out. The crowd was like a sea. Then i retreated to the back of the crowd and sat on an inflatable pool. It was good times.
    COACHELLA VETERAN

2001 ~ 2007 ~ 2010 ~ 2011 ~ 2012

How was it back then compared now to recent years?

Iggy and Jane's were highlights for me. I remember lying in the grass looking up at the sky streaked with green lasers during Oakenfold's set, just trippin. Jane's was a spectacle, with Perry moving into the crowd and topless dancers on towers. I knew I'd be coming back and supporting this festival as much as possible. I've only missed the festival when I have been out of the country.

I missed the past couple of years but I don't think it was as crowded as it gets now. Hardly anyone knew about Coachella. But there was definitely enough people to make it feel like a festival. It was only one day, which sucked, but they packed a lot into that day. Unfortunately I learned the heartbreak of schedule conflicts. I also remember us not being able to find the car afterwards, and realizing that the place looked completely different at night--lesson learned! I wish I had pics but I don't think I had a camera then. Another lesson learned.

I remember seeing Weezer, Photek, Squarepusher, Oakenfold, Chemicals, and Fatboy. If I recall Oakenfold's set was jacked up because of equipment problems - the sound was cutting out or his needles were skipping. It was also windy at night.

If I recall the tent where Photek was playing was not in the normal configuration it is now. For some reason, I remember one of the tents was by the main stage/beer gardens. Anybody remember this?

I remember seeing the Chems and Fatboy pretty vividly - when Chems dropped "Fuck Up Beats" it was delightfully loud. Fatboy's set was massive too. I also remember a "chill" tent (more of a shelter) to the right of the Sahara tent - nobody was really in it though.

All in all the feeling was very sparse and it was a "day trip" from LA. Didn't have the "massive" feel it does now. Very understated. 2002 was markedly different.

I really wish there was more video/pictures/documentation of that year to help me bring back memories.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

i remember when we got back, we were excited to get our pictures developed, not uploaded. no youtube either or anything like that, just happy to have some photos and memorabilia. my friends have some photos of st germain at the outdoor theatre as well as other stages

i remember my friends and i were like "$65 bucks, holy shit, thats nothing for all these bands"

Quote Originally Posted by pewpew87 View Post
    How was it back then compared now to recent years?
    way more cool back then.

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    I remember seeing Weezer, Photek, Squarepusher, Oakenfold, Chemicals, and Fatboy. If I recall Oakenfold's set was jacked up because of equipment problems - the sound was cutting out or his needles were skipping. It was also windy at night.

If I recall the tent where Photek was playing was not in the normal configuration it is now. For some reason, I remember one of the tents was by the main stage/beer gardens. Anybody remember this?

I remember seeing the Chems and Fatboy pretty vividly - when Chems dropped "Fuck Up Beats" it was delightfully loud. Fatboy's set was massive too. I also remember a "chill" tent (more of a shelter) to the right of the Sahara tent - nobody was really in it though.

All in all the feeling was very sparse and it was a "day trip" from LA. Didn't have the "massive" feel it does now. Very understated. 2002 was markedly different.

I really wish there was more video/pictures/documentation of that year to help me bring back memories.

The "Sahara Tent" is what you are thinking about. The Sahara we know today was called the Insomniac tent in 2001. The Sahara in 2001 was a tent smaller than what the Gobi is now. It was the first stage we saw when we entered the festival and it was near the front beer gardens. It's where Bad Company, Planet of the Drums, Andrea Parker and several other acts played.

The next year they did away with that tent entirely and only used four stages. They brought a fifth back in 2003.

My fondest memory from that year? Being the first person through the doors when the it opened. We also arrived in the parking lot at 6 am and there was only one other car there. Nothing was blocked off, there were no security measures preventing people from entering the parking lot until about 8 am. So we shared the parking lot with one or two carloads of other people for several hours before cars started pouring in. By the time people started parking, we just went up to the gate and waited for two or three hours before it opened.

I remember, I first heard about Coachella by getting the flyer at How Sweet It Is 2001 in Lake Perris.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 02-01-2011 at 03:03 PM.
    10/8 - Little Dragon @ Marquee (Tempe, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Thumbs up Re: Coachella 2001

Quote Originally Posted by GuyInTucson View Post
    The "Sahara Tent" is what you are thinking about. The Sahara we know today was called the Insomniac tent in 2001. The Sahara in 2001 was a tent smaller than what the Gobi is now. It was the first stage we saw when we entered the festival and it was near the front beer gardens. It's where Bad Company, Planet of the Drums, Andrea Parker and several other acts played.

The next year they did away with that tent entirely and only used four stages. They brought a fifth back in 2003.
    Good memory, and it rings a bell. Do you also remember when the Sahara configuration was different, i.e. when it was more "sideways" rather than lengthways?

Or am I remembering incorrectly? I seem to remember it was like that in 2003 but I don't recall 2002.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

If I recall Oakenfold's set was jacked up because of equipment problems - the sound was cutting out or his needles were skipping. It was also windy at night.
    This.

I was pretty close to the rail (Oakenfold was on the main stage) and I remember seeing records literally flying away in the wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Anybody get a chance to see Del or Souls of Mischief back then? I've seen them in the past couple years but I imagine it was a different story back then.

The old lineups are so dense it's fucking unreal.

Good memory, and it rings a bell. Do you also remember when the Sahara configuration was different, i.e. when it was more "sideways" rather than lengthways?

Or am I remembering incorrectly? I seem to remember it was like that in 2003 but I don't recall 2002.
    I always wondered that and then someone directed me to coachellarecordings.com

Select whatever year and click the images tab. In the images, they have festival maps for every year from 2002 forward. Nothing for 2001 though.

I think they alter, or at least slightly tweak, the configuration from year to year.

2002 -

2003 -

The Sahara basically shifted 90 degrees between those two years.

Here are some things from coachellarecordings.com to help you relive 2001

Kruder & Dorfmeister was my highlight that year. Little surprised there not on the line up this year. When they played at club nokia last year, there were a lot of amazing shows happening that day (lcd/hot chip, four tet...).

I also remember it being very hot that day as well (at least standing in the line to get in the show).

Yes the heat sucked that year. I spent pretty much the whole day in either the insomniac tent or the Sahara.

Thanks for posting those Guy, that is great to reminisce on.

I was in college at the time and went with a bunch of my guy friends. Apparently we were really into hip hop at the time, and I remember seeing Roots, Del, St. Germain, Roni Size, and Mos Def. I was excited to wrap up the evening with GangStarr, but it was super windy. I remember techs trying to board up DJ Premier's tables with plywood or something at the Outdoor Theater to no avail. That was disappointing. I don't remember it being that windy since, thank goodness.

The Roots were awesome that day on the main stage - always the cool cats in Hawaiian shirts and sun hats. . Del was somewhat on point (from what I recall) and St. Germain was magical. I remember getting fliers for Coachella from the parties we went to in LA, but what I don't remember is that tickets were only $65; what a deal. To be twenty again...and paying $65 for a day of Coachella.

Thanks for this thread. It made me think and remember.

And no hipsters/jam band fags hahaha

I also for some reason remember the tents being darker during the day. I think I remember that the entrances weren't exposed to sunlight and being more enclosed.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    Is that written in some sort of underground rat language I'm not familiar with?

www.coachellarecordings.com is my site, so uh yeah, you all should just bookmark it, use/visit whatever...I made it for this sort of reason. And there is a map in the 2001 booklet, I just don't have a scanner at the moment, so I haven't uploaded it (I plan to redo the image section on the site someday). But anyway, this should hold you over if you're curious.

I too remember the wind completely ruining Oakenfolds groove. This was my first Coachella and I had no idea how to navigate the conflicting set times. Missing Tricky and Roni Size are two of my great failures in life.

Yes it is coming back to me now. I saw Supernatural in that small Sahara tent. He killed it.

I dont see any of the service fees listed on those tickets, did they have them?

Many moons ago...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by the choice cat View Post
    Convenience charge 8.50.

So I wasn't there but my real big question from looking at the set times is why Iggy Pop was so early on in the day?
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Why aren't there more good role models for fat people who fall down a lot?

I said that Planet of the Drums played the Sahara but the schedule has them in the Mojave. I forgot that they actually played twice that day. I forget who they took over for in the Sahara.

Quote Originally Posted by iwaslike View Post
    I too remember the wind completely ruining Oakenfolds groove. This was my first Coachella and I had no idea how to navigate the conflicting set times. Missing Tricky and Roni Size are two of my great failures in life.
    thats cool you guys all remember this. oakenfolds records skipping, so funny. my friends and i were like "thats paul oakenfold, his records are skipping"

it was one of our first coachellas as well, and i remember how it was sooo much fun trying to catch all the bands we wanted. trying to time everything so we wouldnt miss anyone important.

one of the first acts we caught was aceyalone

he was like "anyone know what time it is?"

someone screamed "4:20". it wasnt.

then he dropped grandfather clock. he did a lot of stuff off of The Book of Human Language. This track was a highlight:

del came on after ace. this track right here broke my coachella cherry:

musically it was such a different time than now, and hip hop was way cool then. this ^track came on and i remember thinking to myself "this is the ONLY place i want to be right now. right here. in this fucking tent." boo boo heads was also a highlight from his set.

it ended up being one of the most funnest days ever.

st germain had the sunset slot and absolutely slayed it, dropping killer tracks that could not have been anymore perfect.

i remember when this dropped, everyone at the outdoor theatre just straight up started jammin. fuck i wish i could go back to that set.

here is a radio intvw where paul t is talking about the history of the festival, he mentions st.germains performance that year and talks about the epicness that coachella is.

http://www.kcrw.com/media-player/med...24paul_tollett

Paul T seems so cool in this interview.

www.coachellarecordings.com FTW

Quote Originally Posted by the choice cat View Post
    Nope. I remember it well because this is the only ticket i have ever gotten from TM where there were no service fees. $65 straight up. That little touch made coachella that much more cooler, it used to be a fest for the people.

I bought my ticket at tower records!