Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Rock Documentaries on Netflix Instant

Default Re: Rock Documentaries on Netflix Instant

Quote Originally Posted by mikebspeedracer View Post
    these are all great! can anyone recommend any good lesser known comedy, drama, horror, or any other movies that can be watched on instant?
    The Human Centipede

"The Most Uneducated City in America" of 2008

i don't have netflix, but i like:
    DON'T BE DENIED - neil young
    BIG TIME - tom waits
    your ≠ you're

[boarderwoozel3] dying or tim & eric
    [boarderwoozel3] I'll take dying

Could someone recommend me some books about gardening?
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

i got radiohead's live at the astoria from netflix a couple months ago. its not an instant one but its great

its from the mid 90s and the only albums out at that time were pablo honey and the bends. its amazing - its like watching 2 different bands as they alternate between the two albums songs

this is awesome....thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Your lady's also in for drugs, right? Corinna's guy is in for murder and mine's in for a spree of home invasions. I think you're probably good.

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    I'm pretty sure Ronnie painted that on her, with his dick.

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Quote Originally Posted by fikus222 View Post
    I eagerly await this release:

I had tickets in hand to see Morphine live when they got back from their European tour, but Mark Sandman died on stage in Rome and I never got to see them perform. Morphine is the soundtrack to my HS years hanging out at a coffee shop in the mid 90s called, Celebrities. The same coffee shop where I met the woman who was to become by wife, a decade later. This year, the documentary will be out on the festival circuit. I can't wait to see it.
    Damn, loved Morphine, i saw them once at the American Legion (I think) and i was drinking way to much jagermiester. Had tickets to see them again when he died. I had no idea they were making a documentary. i remember failed attempts trying to see if people that were really into jazz would like them
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

blue/green planet, 3 from the sun, can't miss it

Live Forever about Britpop and 24 Hour Party People about Factory Records (Joy Division/Happy Mondays) still just on DVD not streaming. LoudQuietLoud about the Pixies is streaming
    04' 05' 07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13'
    Metric, Of Monsters, Local Natives, Beach House, Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Band of Horses, Stone Roses, Foals, Tegan and Sara or How to Destroy 2 Bears, Violent Femmes, Portugal, Hot Chip, Spiritualized, Simian Mobile or Postal, Moby, New Order, Sigur Ros DIIV, Oh Sees, Grimes, Paul K, Oakey, Vampire Weekend, Pretty LIghts, OMD, WU, RHCP, Dead Can Dance

Not necessarily a rock doc (although they did write some wholesome rock n roll), but i really loved The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story. They are the guys responsible for the Mary Poppins music and soooooooooo many others.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

Until The Light Takes Us is now streaming.
    Get on it, sluts.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.
    Fuck you all. Consider this my resignation.
    Fair the well, you elitest scumbags."

— Faxman75, who has clearly had enough

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkings View Post
    Live Forever about Britpop and 24 Hour Party People about Factory Records (Joy Division/Happy Mondays) still just on DVD not streaming. LoudQuietLoud about the Pixies is streaming
    I never saw live forever but heard it was pretty awful.

24 hours party people is awesome, but not a documentary.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankay View Post
    Not necessarily a rock doc (although they did write some wholesome rock n roll), but i really loved The Boys: The Sherman Brothers Story. They are the guys responsible for the Mary Poppins music and soooooooooo many others.
    hm. may have to check this out.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by buddy View Post
    I Am Trying to Break Your Heart
    about the making of, some say, Wilco's best album Yankee Hotel Foxtrot. covers the making of the album, the band's confrontation with their then record label about its commercial appeal, and the kicking out of member jay bennett.

This is a great film but it's worth noting that the kicking out of Jay Bennett isn't exactly addressed directly. You see a couple of minor arguments and awkward moments between Jay and Jeff but no official firing or any discussions about it really. It's a glaring omission in fact. Makes me wonder if Jeff didn't want the dirty laundry filmed. Still a great story and to this day it's hard to dispute the best lineup Wilco ever had included Jay Bennett and that shouldn't take anything away from abilities of Nels Cline who is undoubtedly every bit as good of a musician if not better than Jay was.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    About Roky Erickson. I knew some 13th Floor Elevators before this but damn did this hook me. It really is amazing that he was about to play Coachella a couple years ago; I wish I had seen him.
    I'm confused by this phrasing. He did play Coachella a few years ago. I was right up front. He played "Two Headed Dog" right after I yelled it out.. probably a coincidence, but still one of my favorite Coachella moments ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Under Great White Northern Lights
    Go on tour with The White Stripes as they play coffee houses, busses, and small clubs throughout Canada. This video will have you fall in love with the dynamic duo.

loudQUIETloud
    Follow the beloved Pixies trying to make it work again. This documentary follows the Pixies on their comeback tour.

Corporate Ghost: Videos, 1990-2002
    This is a compilation of a bunch of Sonic Youth videos. Sonic Youth speaks about the vids. Cool stuff.

1991: The Year Punk Broke
    Follow Sonic Youth and Nirvana on tour. It’s a moment lost in time. Interesting bands make for a great movie.
    "ain't no thang but a chicken wang"

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I'm confused by this phrasing. He did play Coachella a few years ago. I was right up front. He played "Two Headed Dog" right after I yelled it out.. probably a coincidence, but still one of my favorite Coachella moments ever.
    I believe I meant "he was able to play Coachella" and I will edit my post to say so. Thanks.

The point is, great documentary.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I have no idea if this is on netflix but if you can find it check this out

that's actually the soundtrack album for a film of the same name.
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Quote Originally Posted by HandBanana View Post
    Get on it, sluts.
    <3<3<3<3

Thanks for the heads up. Gettin' my Burzum on after class today.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Get on it, sluts.
    Yeah, unfortunately it's not a very good documentary despite the subject matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by schoolofruckus View Post
    I love when people huff an 8 ball and then come on here to show off what they think they know about Stanley Kubrick.

Yeah, it really isn't. I just watched it and was sorely disappointed.

Yeah that was pretty weak.
    "All of you coachella 'regulars' have nasty boy pussies and itchy dick4's on your asses.
    Why don't you all make like a tree and get chopped down and die. You all have been dreadfully mean to me.
    I Hate you. All of you. None of you will ever get to see a womans chest meat or finger blast hott cougies like me.

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    This is a great film but it's worth noting that the kicking out of Jay Bennett isn't exactly addressed directly. You see a couple of minor arguments and awkward moments between Jay and Jeff but no official firing or any discussions about it really. It's a glaring omission in fact. Makes me wonder if Jeff didn't want the dirty laundry filmed. Still a great story and to this day it's hard to dispute the best lineup Wilco ever had included Jay Bennett and that shouldn't take anything away from abilities of Nels Cline who is undoubtedly every bit as good of a musician if not better than Jay was.
    Not true, it is very much addressed. Jay's firing is not on camera, but Tweedy and Bennett are both interviewed immediately after it. Tweedy explains his reasons for it and Jay gives his thoughts on why it happened. It's a major moment in the film. I agree with you that Bennett was a significant piece of the Wilco puzzle at the time - and it's no coincidence that the band has never made an album of that quality since he left.

Yeah that was pretty weak.
    It's really bad when Varg Vikernes comes across as the most comparatively sane person interviewed. I mean, he stabbed a bandmate 23 times, burned down churches and is an avowed Odalist and white supremacist.

This Pink Floyd - The Dark Side of the Moon "Making Of" Documentary is fantastic, and less than an hour long.

They really get into how the complex arrangements were made in the analog age, down to manually engaging multiple tape recorders, each with its own sound effects, like the clocks on "Time." Plus, they develop the history of the album, how it was perfected live prior to being recorded.

If you're a Floyd fan, it's a must-watch. If you're a fan of the music recording process, it's a must-watch. If you hate Floyd and music recording, there's about five seasons of Larry Sanders to watch.

I am watching a doc about Bill Withers called Still Bill that is just excellent.
    Quote Originally Posted by spinecraft View Post
    sometimes i feel like i don't have a partner

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Not true, it is very much addressed. Jay's firing is not on camera, but Tweedy and Bennett are both interviewed immediately after it. Tweedy explains his reasons for it and Jay gives his thoughts on why it happened. It's a major moment in the film. I agree with you that Bennett was a significant piece of the Wilco puzzle at the time - and it's no coincidence that the band has never made an album of that quality since he left.
    After Jay leaves the band (in the thread of the doc) it's so awkward how they portray Tweedy's views of the matter and the rest of the band's views as opposed to Jay's. Sam Jones captures certain footage of Jay's reaction that makes him out to be sort of an egoist, especially with a line like "I think Jeff was just intimidated; he didn't want the spotlight taken from him." But later on, Jones has more footage of a show they did without Jay, and Jeff and John are almost dueting and Jeff is having no problem with John belting some of the lyrics.

That doc was very entertaining but I had a problem with how it turned Jay Bennett into a bad guy. It was he (as seen in the footage) that was doing a lot of the electronic experimentation which had a big part in making the album such a masterpiece.

speaking of wilco, Billy Bragg & Wilco - Man in the Sand (The Making of "Mermaid Avenue") is an excellcent documentary about the making of Mermaid Avenue, a collaboration between Billy Bragg and Wilco on Woody Guthrie songs that were never released. the band and Bragg took guthrie's handwritten lyrics, which many years before bob dylan had tried to find himself, and produced music and sung songs in the spirit of guthrie himself, and yet was modern at the same time. some classic wilco songs like "california stars" and "one by one" came from the album, and Bragg's versions of the guthrie songs were equally brilliant. i don't believe this is on instant, but it's worth watching. jay's still in the band at this point.
    Last edited by buddy; 06-06-2011 at 12:48 AM.

the most insightful thing of that movie, to me at least, is to see jeff complaining that his partners seem to marginalize him. I love Tweedy's work, but the fact that he has had multiple failed musical partnerships (Farrar, Bragg, Bennett) makes me wonder if the problem is with jeff.

I think Jay says it in I Am Trying to Break Your Heart, when playing in a band with Jeff there can be only one center in the circle and that's Jeff.

The movie Heavy Metal in Baghdad is the shit
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

YES!

Watching this right now on streaming.
    Been wanting to see it for a while now