Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 345678910 LastLast

Thread: Oh Egypt. My heart is with you.

Default Re: Oh Egypt. My heart is with you.

You're all fucking right. The military is the conduit through which rulers are made. Everybody in question was, at one point or another, a member of the military. The military is the insulation that provides the premier the power to rule through police and intelligence units. By making the national military academy the only viable route through which Egyptians can reach the officer ranks, Nasser/Sadat/Mubarak consolidated and streamlined the process through which leaders are made. They successfully recruit/ed people from all throws of Egyptian society, solidifying their grip on the entire country at a time when Egypt as a whole was in chaos. By doing this they unintentionally empowered a sweeping range of people with various political backgrounds and religious piety. These differences have been muted because of the officers' desire to rise in rank. Now, with the crumbling of support for Mubarak and the officers' responsibility to restore calm, they've been thrust from their barracks outside Cairo into the heart of Tahrir, where their private differences with the regime have gradually come out in the form of impassioned speeches, peaceful policing of protest zones and various declarations. Basically, military officers have been silenced by their desire to gain rank but now they're on the street seeing people from their various hometowns and villages and they feel emboldened

The word 'coup' is being used as a reference to 1952 when Nasser overthrew King Farouk and issued Communique #1. There clearly isn't a classic coup right now. Mubarak just upped the military's pay 15%.

jesus...im listening to Suleiman right now. The words he is using scare the shit out of me. "National Security over anything else" ... lots of use of the Arabic term for 'they'... like he's singling people or groups out that he thinks are trying to meddle in the affairs of Egypt.

People will start disappearing shortly.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Nobody is saying that they aren't protesting for a civilian democracy. Tom and I are saying that the previous government was not a junta, which is essentially what you are saying.
    im not saying that at all, its a republic that has given the president emergency powers which have been in place since i believe 1967. these emergency powers give extra power to police and suspends constitutional rights, amongst other things. Essentially making the police the gestapo. Its pretty much Star Wars. Would you consider being raided randomly and not having rights not living in a militaristic atmosphere. The parliament elections were rigged along with his own presidential elections

Yes, we all know that. I'm just saying that the two things are different. The military as a transitional moderator isn't the same as the emergency powers republic. Yes, there is risk of it becoming a similar mess, or even a junta, but that's not the idea of it. Ideally, they'd be pressured to support the rise of civilian democracy, that their role will be to protect everybody while this happens and to make sure the transition is orderly. You say the country was already run by the military, but not at all like this...

But either way, Mubarak said he's not stepping down. So, they can coup away.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

well this guy is not doing anything sensible so no one can predict what is going to happen. We can only hope that these young and intelligent Egyptians, keep things mostly peaceful and keep this revolution pure and do not allow outside forces especially militant ones from taking over. Do Not Let Your Revolution Get Hijacked!

I'd be more concerned about the emboldened pro-Mubarak thugs that have already made a name for themselves after the last protests at Tharir Square.

Quote Originally Posted by obzen View Post
    I'd be more concerned about the emboldened pro-Mubarak thugs that have already made a name for themselves after the last protests at Tharir Square.
    well according to Mubarak these thugs are to be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law. so if there are more thugs causing violence and the military does nothing then the intl community will know this guy is not just dumb but full of shit, if they didn't know that already

(see: demagoguery)

Quote Originally Posted by Aphxtwinin View Post
    im not saying that at all, its a republic that has given the president emergency powers which have been in place since i believe 1967.
    I think we are arguing semantics here.

The NY Times article characterized the move from Mubarek to the military as a 'transition' and 'easing [Mubarek] out of power'. You questioned whether it was really a transition or not. I stated I was more inclined to believe the NY Times' characterization than some guy on the internet. Not a personal attack on you.

anyway it seems a moot point now.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    HAY CAN SOMEONE DRIVE DOWN TO THE FESTIVAL GROUNDS AND SEE IF THE BEER BARN IS REALLY A BARN?

no offense taken. the Egyptian Ambassador is telling CNN that all power has been transfered to Suleiman except for amending constitution, dismissing parliament and firing cabinet. So Suleiman is now commander and chief and de facto president. Seems shit might start changing first thing in the morning

I have a bad feeling about all this...
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    I have a bad feeling about all this...
    to be honest me too, but if they do pull it off it will be a great model for how democracies can sprout in the Middle East.

apparently all those emergency powers that have been going on since '67 might get ended tomorrow, at least thats what the ambassador eluded to

VigoTheCarpathian

Unfortunately, I feel tomorrow will be violent enough to cause a coup. I pray i'm wrong. What a bastatrd.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

Andrew. The videos you are posting today are too much. I am laughing so hard.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

Quiet coup.

Job well done Egypt...lets establish a civilian democracy, and hopefully start a wave of democracy throughout the region!

Mubarak has quit.

I reckon he's queuing for Arcade Fire tix at the El Rey.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

6 months later...

Mubarak: lol, still here.

He's gone:

CAIRO — A local government official says President Hosni Mubarak is in the Red Sea resort of Sharm el-Sheikh, 250 miles from the capital Cairo, where protesters are deluging squares and marching on presidential palaces and the State TV building.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/0..._n_821812.html

That "speech" he gave last night clearly didn't go over to well with the people. No surprise there.

All this must be killing Osama Bin Laden inside.

if your near a tv put on CNN...Egypt is having a PARTY...PARYT LIKE A FCUKING EGYPTIAN!

8^)

I can't believe it.

The work starts now.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Watching on al jazeera english.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgasm View Post
    8^)

I can't believe it.

The work starts now.
    yes indeed, they need to celebrate the moment but tomorrow to work asap! as little military transition as possible....we have just seen a movement of young ppl, without bullets and in peace, topple a 30 year dictatorship! btw today is the same day that the Iranian revolution happened 32years ago...i feel this is a victory for all of us, we now know this is still possible. Leaders around the world just got checked

Obama better lay down a fucking awesome speech.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Watching MSNBC now...Rod Allen is surrounded by people, and they all look joyous and peaceful. Good for them.

I bet Mubarak delayed his resignation because he was downloading the complete collection of the Twilight Zone and it was taking a long-ass time. He even turned off other people's Internets to help speed it up, but to no avail.

lol he turned off the internet for everyone and made his comp the ultimate seedbox

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by sonofhal View Post
    Watching on al jazeera english.
    Me too. Their coverage has been awesome all week.

He's walked - like an Egyptian.