Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Egypt. My heart is with you.

Default Re: Oh Egypt. My heart is with you.

I'm sure all the Egyptians will be chuffed to finally be able to check status updates.

"Saw a man being beaten to death - LOL"

But to be serious - there is a reason it has been turned back on today - to try and discredit the protestors.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Carrot and stick, like?

If that was the plan, it seems to have backfired miserably, I mean I don't think anybody bought the idea that the dudes who attacked the protesters were just spontaneous, independently outraged Mubarak supporters, not for a second.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Mubarak is trying to put on a good face IMO. Telling the people he's stepping down later this year and giving them their communications back on the exterior while sending groups to intimidate and fight back on the ground. I think you're right about it backfiring though.

Over the next 48 hours the madness is just going to escalate with the biggest revolution/protest scheduled for Friday that is if the people show restraint enough to organize. I'm thinking the crowds in the streets are just going to grow at this point as the uprising continues.

God I am so naive. I just read about the fights today and I'm thinking "wow, Mubarak has a ton of supporters who are finally fighting back!" It never once occurred to me that it wasn't genuine.

And yeah, what an ass in his concession speech, saying he already decided he wasn't going to run again in September. "You didn't break up with me, I broke up with YOU."

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Mubarak's "supporters" punched Anderson Cooper in the head and jumped his crew.

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/worl...pt.html?r=news
    Last edited by Alchemy; 02-02-2011 at 08:34 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

fuck anderson cooper. He's a piece of shit who gets flown into location, pays the local journalist for a briefing, gets a video shot or two, makes an interview and flies out. The guy is a clueless runt and the respect he has in this country makes me fucking sick.

The people fighting protesters are the private thugs, police, cronies etc etc etc of the NDP. Whether they're getting paid today or they're pissed bc they're about to lose their 'wusta' or connection/protection/money.. probably a grand combo of the two.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    I also have secret inside information from Page 1 of the New York Times.
    was this directed at me? lol, you're pretty confused, aren't you old man?
    Rhythm is a dancer.

How dare you talk about Anderson Cooper that way. He is the Silver Fox. Had those thugs not caught him off guard, he probably would have saved Egypt the way that he saved Haiti and New Orleans.
    Last edited by Alchemy; 02-02-2011 at 09:30 AM.
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Mubarak is getting desperate. Did no one in his inner circle realize that people demonstrating against violent oppression would react poorly to this?

Quote Originally Posted by Aurgasm View Post
    fuck anderson cooper. He's a piece of shit who gets flown into location, pays the local journalist for a briefing, gets a video shot or two, makes an interview and flies out. The guy is a clueless runt and the respect he has in this country makes me fucking sick.
    Agree. God, I can't stand him and his style of personality journalism. He almost always becomes the story. Is he really that respected? Or just overexposed? Somehow I think if he didn't work on his biceps for a few weeks the respect would go down. Anyway, shouldn't derail this thread. We'll have to organize an Anderson Must Go protest another day.

Some of the photos of the protests and clashes look eerily like photos of zombie infestations.

This one especially, because it looks like the pro-Mubarak people on the bottom are running from zombies.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

It was directed at himself. did you not see the NYT article pasted directly under it?

The social fabric in Egypt is breaking down. This is what happens once you have an economy/country at a standstill for over a week. The president is just hoping for this to blow over...when was the last time the world has seen so many ppl protesting for change of government...exercising their rights within a democracy to demand a new government/leadership right now, not in a few months but yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by Aphxtwinin View Post
    The social fabric in Egypt is breaking down. This is what happens once you have an economy/country at a standstill for over a week. The president is just hoping for this to blow over...when was the last time the world has seen so many ppl protesting for change of government...exercising their rights within a democracy to demand a new government/leadership right now, not in a few months but yesterday.
    Ummm....? I'm thinking of a country. It's name starts with "T".

(Not to mention the Orange Revolution in Ukraine)

Coachella Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Agree. God, I can't stand him and his style of personality journalism. He almost always becomes the story. Is he really that respected? Or just overexposed? Somehow I think if he didn't work on his biceps for a few weeks the respect would go down. Anyway, shouldn't derail this thread. We'll have to organize an Anderson Must Go protest another day.
    Cooper was one of the only establishment journalists to stand up and say "Things are fucked" in the aftermath of Katrina. I'll protest you.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

He also took a very firm stand against CNN reporting the lunch menu at Sasha & Malia Obama's school.

Ummm....? I'm thinking of a country. It's name starts with "T".

(Not to mention the Orange Revolution in Ukraine)
    ok can i just mention that I am not a fucking idiot when it comes to world politics.... "T"unisia is 10million ppl, egypt is over 80million...ukraine is about 45million...so my question is still valid, have we seen such a large population in the past 20years exercise their right in a democracy to over throw a government with peaceful protests (until the pro-mubarak forces came along)?

Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

old school

Thot's adivsor, is a pretty sweet rank.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Cooper was one of the only establishment journalists to stand up and say "Things are fucked" in the aftermath of Katrina. I'll protest you.
    Yeah. There's your key word there. There were plenty of non-establishment journalists who were doing that very thing as well. Certainly, his enormous reach amplified that message and he should be commended for his work there. I still don't care for his style of journalism at all. He also has zero gravitas; a quality I value in an anchor. I think I'm more old world in my broadcast journalism preferences. I'll take the PBS NewsHour over 360 any day of the week. Anyway, we really shouldn't derail this thread further. I apologize for doing that. I know how irritating it can be when the discussion veers this far away from the original topic. Back to Egypt....

Quote Originally Posted by Aphxtwinin View Post
    ok can i just mention that I am not a fucking idiot when it comes to world politics.... "T"unisia is 10million ppl, egypt is over 80million...ukraine is about 45million...so my question is still valid, have we seen such a large population in the past 20years exercise their right in a democracy to over throw a government with peaceful protests (until the pro-mubarak forces came along)?
    Sorry, that was a bit snarky of me. However, unless I'm mistaken the number of protesters in Ukraine was equal to if not greater than the number of protesters in Egypt so with a smaller population than Egypt you could argue that a larger percentage of Ukrainians were actively demonstrating and doing so not just with internal resistance but with Putin & Co breathing down their necks. Just to be clear, I'm not in any way trying to minimize the impact of the Egyptian resistance.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 02-02-2011 at 11:35 AM.

Yeah. There's your key word there. There were plenty of non-establishment journalists who were doing that very thing as well. Certainly, his enormous reach amplified that message and he should be commended for his work there. I still don't care for his style of journalism at all. He also has zero gravitas; a quality I value in an anchor. I think I'm more old world in my broadcast journalism preferences. I'll take the PBS NewsHour over 360 any day of the week. Anyway, we really shouldn't derail this thread further. I apologize for doing that. I know how irritating it can be when the discussion veers this far away from the original topic. Back to Egypt....
    Jesus Funk, the Egypt protests won't go anywhere if we stray from the topic. If something post-worthy happens, I'm sure somebody will come and post it. Meanwhile, apologize to this picture:

Ha. Yeah, um, I'm not backing down on this one. But don't misinterpret me, if I ran into him in the back room of Splash, I'd check out his credentials.

TomAz, I'm pleased you spent so much time out of your very important day to find that image that I barely glanced over. Can you believe your life has come to this? Smart assing 25 year olds on the internet; way to go!

people who are interested, and saw my last note about how this is Obama's biggest hour. Read up on a term called fitna; it mean civic unrest, but has been the catalyst for many major political movements in the middle east. When people from Iraq to Pakistan see 'fitna' in Egypt, you can expect some kind of reaction.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Is fitna going to be on the mid-term, Professor Aurgasm?

I want to fuck anderson cooper. He's an angel who gets flown into location, pays the local journalist for a briefing, gets a video shot or two, makes a real difference in his story and flies out. The guy is a amazing journalist and the respect he has in this country makes me fucking hard.
    I don't know about all that but he is a dreamboat fer sure.
    Quote Originally Posted by bug on your lip View Post
    you ever get this uneasy feeling that everyone of us on this board is actually in Hell?

stepup2stepout

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    Is fitna going to be on the mid-term, Professor Aurgasm?
    It will be. It's contagious! Algeria, Jordan, Yemen and Syria are feeling it. Bashar al-Asad cut the internet the other day!
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Despite my feelings about the Silver Fox, I was watching a bit of CNN last night and during AC's broadcast they were shooting video of Tahir Square. It was from such a distance that the people were ant size. Just around the corner from where the camera was aimed (as in we could hear it but not see it) gunfire from dozens of guns was just booming and people were screaming in terror. It went on for a good half hour. It was really terrifying. Aurgasm can correct me on this if I'm wrong, but as I understand it, Egypt is not generally a culture of guns so the gunfire was all but certainly coming from the Mubarak rent-a-thugs. As a silly liberal with a decent sense of outrage and indignation, I've been in my fair share of demonstrations, but I've never literally risked my life for something I believe in. The courage the anti-Mubarak protesters have demonstrated is amazing.

Can you believe your life has come to this? Smart assing 25 year olds on the internet; way to go!
    Kitt Kat made that argument last week. 'Poor me i'm so young and helpless, you're so terrible for making fun of someone half your age'.
    You young kids have to get over these age differences and pretend you're adults even if you feel inferior.

Speaking of older folks. John McCain has some thoughts on the middle east...