Page 1 of 10 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Oh Egypt. My heart is with you.

Default Oh Egypt. My heart is with you.

If I could hack your government mainframe(s), I totally would.

Wake up call.

Last edited by vogina; 01-27-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Default Re: Oh Egypt. My heart is with you.

in other news:

you hear Coachella sold out?
    I would never want to belong to any club that would have someone like me for a member...

old school

Goldenvoice should move Chella to the pyramids of Egypt.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Wow, this depressed me, but then I remembered I have a ticket to Coachella. Now I'm happy again.
    Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Supre doesnt know since he's usually in the bathroom going away at the glory hole. Noms Nom nom noms oooooo i'm taking a picture of that beast....****snap*** back to yum yums nom nom noms

Evidently the Egyptian government was either stronger or just better prepared than their Tunisian counterparts, because they don't look nearly as likely to take a dive. Hope springs eternal though.

Two things really caught my eye.

First, that despite the increased profile of social networking in such unrest, Al Jazeera has been credited as one of the driving players in these revolts for reporting the leaks and their coverage of the protests as they happen.

Second, neither this nor the previous uprising in Tunisia seem to have any discernable sense of either fanatical nationalism or fundamentalist Islamism. That might seem like a bit prejudiced and Western-douchebag-sounding on my part, but bear with me. The problem with many revolutions is that what comes after isn't necessarily a huge improvement on what came before. In fact, the same force that can unite and drive the kind of movement necessary for this kind of upheaval can slot very nicely into the tyrannical groove that's already been worn into the sofa.

The protesters in these recent cases don't seem to have any single banner cause beyond a general outrage at their governments. Seems to me that wider spectrum of interests is at the very least a good place to start again, if they get the chance. I mean, I try to be pragmatic about this stuff, but if this momentum does continues to gather across the Middle East, we could be watching something pretty extraordinary start to happen.

That said - it's worth noting that given the degree of support Mubarak received from the US in terms of military aid, if his regime does fall, the next one will probably not be at all friendly to US interests.

Quote Originally Posted by shoegazer76 View Post
    Goldenvoice should move Chella to the pyramids of Egypt.
    Imagine the riots once they found out KOL are headlining Friday
    '99-'11...

Im leaving for Egypt on June 21. I hope this is all settled by then.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hatinisbad View Post
    I took my niece this year and it was her first Coachella. It was so fun to see it through her eyes. She thought it felt like a magical scene from Shreck. The one where all the fairy tale creatures meet for the first time in Shreck's swamp.

Yes, we wouldn't want a potential people's revolution to interfere with a Canadian's vacation. An Egyptian friend of mine is saying he's heard from friends and family back home that the government has not only shut down internet and mobile phone service but has also cut off water and electricity in certain areas.

MissingPerson, I think those reports about Al Jazeera's influence are pretty accurate. The first place I read about protests in Tunisia, Egypt, Algeria and Yemen was on Al Jazeera English. They certainly are setting a narrative.

I don't think Mumbarak will get too violent or he'll risk losing all US support. It's so heartening to see the ripple effects of the Tunisian protests, though. The power holders in Libya, Yemen, and Syria must be getting scared.

Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Wow how has Aurgasm not posted in this thread yet?
    9/17 - Buzzcocks - Fonda (?)
    9/20 - Crosby, Stills & Nash - Santa Barbara Bowl
    9/21 - Caetano Veloso - Hollywood Bowl (?)
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Yes, we wouldn't want a potential people's revolution to interfere with a Canadian's vacation.
    I was guessing he was more concerned about his safety. But he is Canadian, and we all know how entitled they feel as a people.

On topic, this sucks. That's all I got. Figure it's better than the "Oh, Coachella" douche-baggery.

Quote Originally Posted by TheRotten42 View Post
    Wow, this depressed me, but then I remembered I have a ticket to Coachella. Now I'm happy again.
    Everyone in Egypt is pumped about this too.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

what is all the fuss about

what they protesting about, fill me in

They cancelled The Only Way is Essex.
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    I was guessing he was more concerned about his safety. But he is Canadian, and we all know how entitled they feel as a people.
    Oh, I know. I was being a little tongue in cheek. I would be worried if I were in his position as well.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    On topic, this sucks. That's all I got. Figure it's better than the "Oh, Coachella" douche-baggery.
    It sucks? The people of Tunisia overturn their autocratic leader and show the rest of the Arab world that change is possible (without an American invasion) and you think it sucks? Yeah, it's unfortunate that some people will get hurt or killed as a result, but these people in Egypt are now engaging in unprecedented protests despite the fact that Mubarak (currently) controls a military which receives more funding from the US than any other nation outside of Israel. They're literally going into the streets -- Christians, Muslims, atheists, young, old, poor and privileged -- and saying they're not scared anymore. I don't think it sucks; I think it's amazing and I admire them. I've been involved in many protests before but none in which my life was seriously threatened. I hope they are able to affect some real change. And if they are successful, this could spread to Yemen (kind of already has), Syria and other Arab nations.

Tunisia is a completely different country from the rest of the Arab world. Egypt won't buckle like they did. This really doesn't change anything.

Yemen too.

SANAA, Yemen, Jan. 28 (UPI) -- The Yemeni president called on Qatari officials to put pressure on Arab broadcaster al-Jazeera for what he described as inciting unrest in his country.

Thousands of demonstrators marched on Sanaa, calling on Yemeni President Ali Abdullah Saleh to step down after 32 years in office.

Saleh contacted Qatari officials to complain the broadcaster, which has headquarters in Doha, was exaggerating the situation in Yemen, the official Saba news agency reported.

"What the channel is doing only serves the Zionist (Israeli) entity and terrorist groups such as al-Qaida as well as the enemies of the Arab seeking to ignite dissent and threatening the future of the next generations," he was quoted as saying.

Egyptian and Yemeni protesters drew inspiration from unrest in Tunisia that brought an end to the regime of President Zine el-Abidine Ben Ali after more than 20 years in office. Yemen's interior minister told al-Jazeera on Thursday, however, that the country wasn't on the brink of a revolution.

Saleh in 2006 was elected to another seven-year term as the country's president.

Opposition leaders say Yemenis are angry about corruption, a decline in currency values and a recent constitutional amendment that would allow a president to remain in office for life.

Read more: http://www.upi.com/Top_News/Special/...#ixzz1CLtEUS9e
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Well, their government HQ is currenly on fire. That might change something.

Here is a link to what is happening and why.

http://promotingpeace.tumblr.com/post/2969260999

The Tunisian military is absolutely miniscule. Egypt has the 10th largest military in the world. The ratio of military:citizen in egypt is well over 4 times that of Tunisia.

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

Coachella Junkie

I guarantee you Cheney will pop up soon to notify us that the Iraq war is responsible for this outbreak of freedom.

When I was younger, I didn't care what happened politically in other countries.

Now that I am older and wiser to how politics work, I don't care what happens to my own country politically either.

Quote Originally Posted by wmgaretjax View Post
    The Tunisian military is absolutely miniscule. Egypt has the 10th largest military in the world. The ratio of military:citizen in egypt is well over 4 times that of Tunisia.

I'd love to be wrong, but I'm not holding my breath.

I don't disagree with you. Obviously, with the funding the US has provided to Mubarak, he has a massive military behind him. However, representatives of his gov't have already said before today's latests protests that they are willing to "negotiate" with the protesters. The fact that they're already issuing such statements is, perhaps, a good sign that incremental, but potentially meaningful change could be coming to Egypt. There's also the less likely possibility that the military eventually turns against Mubarak and joins the movement.

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    I guarantee you Cheney will pop up soon to notify us that the Iraq war is responsible for this outbreak of freedom.
    Right?? Fuck, if sweeping change does come to these Arab nations in the next few years, you can bet your ass the Dubya Library will have a special exhibit showing how his wise invasion of Iraq led directly to these democratic movements.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    ha!

Nah, it's a stall tactic. If they can defuse the tensions now, they can work on regaining some control while taking advantage of subsiding momentum.

(and if the military turns on Murabak, the outcome probably won't be a very positive one overall... military coups rarely are)

Sure, it's a stall tactic now, but the potential's there. Hopefully these protests just get bigger and bigger.

Watching it on the English Al Jazeera. Already looks like the military may be starting to side with the protesters. Government HQ still on fire. Nobody seems bothered about putting it out.

Protests in Jordan as well, though the situation definitely seems more contained there.

hearing protesters are embracing military, pats on the back, hand shakes, etc.

Link, JustSteve?