Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 2345678910 LastLast

Thread: Oh Egypt. My heart is with you.

Default Re: Oh Egypt. My heart is with you.

If you're done with the old man v. whippernapper jibber jabber^, back to Egypt...

Vodafone (mobile phone carrier) is saying that Egyptian authorities forced them to send pro government texts out to all subscribers throughout the protests. Jesus H.

Statement from Vodafone:
    Thursday 3 February 2011

Under the emergency powers provisions of the Telecoms Act, the Egyptian authorities can instruct the mobile networks of Mobinil, Etisalat and Vodafone to send messages to the people of Egypt. They have used this since the start of the protests. These messages are not scripted by any of the mobile network operators and we do not have the ability to respond to the authorities on their content.

Vodafone Group has protested to the authorities that the current situation regarding these messages is unacceptable. We have made clear that all messages should be transparent and clearly attributable to the originator.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    If you're done with the old man v. whippernapper jibber jabber^, back to Egypt...
    The post was about Egypt. Quit your bitching.

I was posting around the same time as you; I was referring to your first post. I didn't see your 2nd post.

Coachella Junkie

They're all pretty terrible posts. Boycott these posts.

The murder capital where we murder for capital

Big protests planned in Syria for the weekend.

The Guardian (UK) has compiled all the right wing fear mongering talking heads into one article. You'll think the world is ending, Obama is a black panther and that muslims are taking over the world by the end of reading it all. In other words, nothing new.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/blog...est-glenn-beck

Quote Originally Posted by faxman75 View Post
    You young kids have to get over these age differences and pretend you're adults even if you feel inferior.
    What? Feel inferior? Actually, it's more of a feeling of empathy if my comments need to be slathered with emotion. Bickering with a stupid, out of touch, old man doesn't give me any pleasure at all, so I'll just stop talking about that... now.

The attacks on journalists in Egypt disturb me greatly.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Christiane Amanpour got an interview with Mubarak at his presidential palace in which he says that he's "fed up with being president and would like to leave office now, but cannot, he says, for fear that the country would sink into chaos."

Apparently more details on the interview will be on ABC News tonight.

Amanpour 1, Cooper 0.

Coachella Junkie

I don't think there's any dispute that Amanpour is a more highly regarded journalist with better international access than Cooper. I don't see them even playing in the same field.

CNN has an "iReport" video from an Egyptian citizen showing a police van plowing through peaceful anti-Mubarak demonstrators in the middle of a street. Total hit and run. No stopping and definitely not accidental. Apparently several people injured and a few killed. This is horrifying. Warning. Video is disturbing. Don't say I didn't warn you.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-549555?ref=feeds/oncnn

my friend has been sending me some fucking crazy pictures of a camels trampling reporters right in front of my old college. NDP is definitely rounding up out of work tour guides and police cronies and busing them into Cairo. Not the first time.

Anyhow. It seems the vice-president has totally blown off President Obama. Exciting times.
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

NDP is taking advantage of Egyptian's paranoia- calling journalists agents of Hamas and Hezbollah, accusing them of being Israeli spies, american spies, Iranian spies (Egypt is a long time enemy of Iran)..etc etc.

Saw this happening. The rumours need to get squashed now or this will spin completely out of control (if it's not already there)
    Rhythm is a dancer.

Man, this is making me tear up.

The title of the photo is "Christians protecting Muslims while they pray during protests in Egypt."

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Women just obviously can't write creative music. They're all ripping off the Beatles, who were men. Duh.

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post

The title of the photo is "Christians protecting Muslims while they pray during protests in Egypt."
    Wow. That's beautiful. Do you have a source for that photo, Tessa?

EDIT: Nvm. Found it.

Quote Originally Posted by Newro7ic View Post
    Are you fucking kidding me, Kenneth Cole? Jesus H. If only I didn't love your shoes.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

there are stories about Muslims protecting coptic christian churches as well.

This isn't a triumph of religion though. It's just decent people doing what decent people should do. If you stop to think long enough about why this picture is so touching, you realize the inherent stupidity that created the differences between those groups.

old school

At first I was all.....

Then I was like......

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    there are stories about Muslims protecting coptic christian churches as well.
    Indeed, and it's a cool story worth repeating. The sense of siege solidarity is pretty interesting in retrospect actually, I'd kind of skimmed over the government stuff when I'd read it first.

http://english.ahram.org.eg/News/3365.aspx

"We either live together, or we die together"

Egypt’s majority Muslim population stuck to its word Thursday night. What had been a promise of solidarity to the weary Coptic community, was honoured, when thousands of Muslims showed up at Coptic Christmas eve mass services in churches around the country and at candle light vigils held outside.

From the well-known to the unknown, Muslims had offered their bodies as “human shields” for last night’s mass, making a pledge to collectively fight the threat of Islamic militants and towards an Egypt free from sectarian strife.

“We either live together, or we die together,” was the sloganeering genius of Mohamed El-Sawy, a Muslim arts tycoon whose cultural centre distributed flyers at churches in Cairo Thursday night, and who has been credited with first floating the “human shield” idea.

Among those shields were movie stars Adel Imam and Yousra, popular Muslim televangelist and preacher Amr Khaled, the two sons of President Hosni Mubarak, and thousands of citizens who have said they consider the attack one on Egypt as a whole.

“This is not about us and them,” said Dalia Mustafa, a student who attended mass at Virgin Mary Church on Maraashly Street. “We are one. This was an attack on Egypt as a whole, and I am standing with the Copts because the only way things will change in this country is if we come together.”

In the days following the brutal attack on Saints Church in Alexandria, which left 21 dead on New Year’ eve, solidarity between Muslims and Copts has seen an unprecedented peak. Millions of Egyptians changed their Facebook profile pictures to the image of a cross within a crescent – the symbol of an “Egypt for All”. Around the city, banners went up calling for unity, and depicting mosques and churches, crosses and crescents, together as one.

The attack has rocked a nation that is no stranger to acts of terror, against all of Muslims, Copts and Jews. In January of last year, on the eve of Coptic Christmas, a drive-by shooting in the southern town of Nag Hammadi killed eight Copts as they were leaving Church following mass. In 2004 and 2005, bombings in the Red Sea resorts of Taba and Sharm El-Sheikh claimed over 100 lives, and in the late 90’s, Islamic militants executed a series of bombings and massacres that left dozens dead.

This attack though comes after a series of more recent incidents that have left Egyptians feeling left out in the cold by a government meant to protect them.

Last summer, 28-year-old businessman Khaled Said was beaten to death by police, also in Alexandria, causing a local and international uproar. Around his death, there have been numerous other reports of police brutality, random arrests and torture.

Last year was also witness to a ruthless parliamentary election process in which the government’s security apparatus and thugs seemed to spiral out of control. The result, aside from injuries and deaths, was a sweeping win by the ruling party thanks to its own carefully-orchestrated campaign that included vote-rigging, corruption and widespread violence.
    The opposition was essentially annihilated. And just days before the elections, Copts - who make up 10 percent of the population - were once again the subject of persecution, when a government moratorium on construction of a Christian community centre resulted in clashes between police and protestors. Two people were left dead and over 100 were detained, facing sentences of up to life in jail.

The economic woes of a country that favours the rich have only exacerbated the frustration of a population of 80 million whose majority struggle each day to survive. Accounts of thefts, drugs, and violence have surged in recent years, and the chorus of voices of discontent has continued to grow.

The terror attack that struck the country on New Year’s eve is in many ways a final straw – a breaking point, not just for the Coptic community, but for Muslims as well, who too feel marginalized, oppressed, and overlooked by a government that fails to address their needs. On this Coptic Christmas eve, the solidarity was not just one of religion, but of a desperate and collective plea for a better life and a government with accountability.

old school

The title of the photos is "Egyptians use some crazy shit to protect themselves from alien mind control during protests in Egypt."
    Last edited by J~$$$$; 02-03-2011 at 03:09 PM.

Does that 2nd guy have crazy bread taped to his head!?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

Has anyone consulted Tarbash, the Egyptian Magician?
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    the two sons of President Hosni Mubarak
    hmmmm.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

Coachella Junkie malcolmjamalawesome's Avatar

You know who the real winner is in all of this? Nermal.
    Quote Originally Posted by ruetheday View Post
    I don't fucking care. I don't even know who the hell Dave Wang is.
    Quote Originally Posted by Devin the Dude View Post
    you used to be that guy that just Dave Wang's everybody. that guy. he's gone now, and whoever you really are showed up, and that was utter disappointment.

VigoTheCarpathian

Tits or GTFO!

Ohhhhh Justin you're so funny.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    It sucks?
    What's going on with that Iran place, they still even a country?
    Originally Posted by Riggins33
    Why don't you show me a pic of what you look like and I'll send you a pick of myself. I'm 6'5 230....
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    Would you care to list the fixes I've proposed?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dogvolta View Post
    Thank god I did't suck that guy's dick.

whats fantastic about this is that its not an islamic uprising. im sure there is an element of that going on, with the muslim brotherhood and all, but otherwise this is mostly a populist revolt against opression.

its badass. these people have balls

One of the protestors was joking that everybody must think they're all Muslim Brotherhood by now because none of them have had a chance to shave in days.

VigoTheCarpathian

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    One of the protestors was joking that everybody must think they're all Muslim Brotherhood by now because none of them have had a chance to shave in days.
    hahaha, something tells me these people are poised to do some awesome things in our lifetimes.

Next we gotta get those mullahs outta Iran. Bastards.

anwar akbar! I just like the sound of it.

old school

Ohhhhh Justin you're so funny.

This one is called breadbro keg stand. also teary.