Page 71 of 97 FirstFirst ... 6667686970717273747576 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,130 of 2898

Thread: The Gays* Only Thread

Default Re: The Gays* Only Thread

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGather View Post
    just what in the hell is going on here? I DQ the grabber, that looks painful.

Fantastic. "They want to paint you the color of smashed hymens."

8/30: Peaking Lights @ The Chapel
    9/3: Bear in Heaven @ The Independent
    9/11: Tomas Barfod @ The Rickshaw Stop
    9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

The first page of comments for that were surprisingly not vile.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Guys, guys. OMG. The most amazing thing just happened. I need to take you down memory lane here, but it's worth it. 1996. I was a sophomore drama geek in high school. Early days of the consumer internet, right? Loud dial up modems, CompuServe, AOL discs in the mail every week? And Prodigy. It was in an LGBT Prodigy chat room that I met a young man by the name of S7AA433R2 -- no customized handles back then. S7AA433R2 and I appeared to be the only teens in the chat room so we left the daddies and grandpas for Prodigy IM (or whatever they called their instant message system). He was funny and charming and we were both in similar situations. I was out only to one friend and S7AA433R2 wasn't out to anyone, though he was describing himself as bisexual to me and he'd hooked up with a couple of random dudes while his soccer team was on the road. It turned out that he was a junior at a high school just 30 miles away from me. We talked about meeting up but both got cold feet. We would chat online almost every afternoon, trying not to get caught by our mothers. We formed a rather intense long-distance emotional bond. I thought it was love, no doubt.

Now, keep in mind, these were the early days of the internet. No webcams. People didn't generally have digital images of themselves. We had no idea what either of us looked like. That summer I went to the Del Mar Fair with my friend Patrick the only person I was out to. Patrick convinced me to go to the yearbook exhibit where (for some bizarre reason) they would display the current yearbook from every San Diego county high school. We found the yearbook for S7AA433R2's exclusive private school. He was really cute -- classically handsome, a varsity athlete, straight A honors student. I probably would have proposed marriage had he materialized before me right there.

I was still too nervous to meet up with S7AA433R2, so Patrick (bless him) said he'd come along with me and that if the boy and I got along, he'd make some excuse and leave early. Sounded like a plan to me, so I invited the boy to join us at a play. Of course, I had to pick something super gay; couldn't have been a ball game. We met him at the theatre and he was super cute, very tall and athletic and had a surprisingly deep and resonant voice for a 17 yr old. I was so intimidated that I made Patrick sit between us at the play and made him call shotgun when S7AA433R2 drove us back to his home which was just down the hill from the theatre. The play was terrible and I could tell my date was bored out of his mind. He was going to be a business major and had little interest in performing arts. Such a stupid choice on my part. The boy described himself as bi and genuinely thought it was a phase he would grow out of and here I was being a big ol nelly drama nerd. He drove us back to his home -- this beautiful hilltop mansion with a pool and tennis courts. His parents, who were out of town, were both successful doctors and it was expected that he'd be going to an Ivy league school and marrying a charming petite little thing before he was 30. It was all too intimidating for me and a couple of hours and a few beers into our evening I said I had a horrible headache and made my excuses. The boy and I had zero chemistry -- mostly due to my crippling nervousness and defensiveness so he didn't try too hard to convince me to stay. But he and Patrick were having a grand old time. We were in the middle of a dvd, so I convinced Patrick to stay and went home alone. And, then, of course, S7AAR433R2 seduced Patrick and I believe they enjoyed some tongue twisting and sword fighting by the pool.

I was absolutely crestfallen. I obsessed over my teenage crush for a good part of my junior year, but I never spoke to him again and by the middle of the junior year he was completely forgotten. I honestly don't think I've thought of him once since. Then, recently, Patrick and I were reminiscing about high school and our conversation prompted me to see if I could do some internet spying on S7AA433R2. I fully expected to find him to have attended Princeton, gone on to grad school, become partner at a major law firm and settled down in some gated community with his darling wife and three kids.

Well, got one part right. He did the Ivy league thing. But somewhere along the way he came out -- and I mean OUT -- of the closet. He's a club musician -- a vocalist in a dreadful Scissor Sisters rip off and he is a big ol queen. Nothing wrong with that; I'm delighted for him. It's just so not what I imagined for that all American varsity football and soccer star. It's just... terrible. He's a thirty-something man-boy who appears to be unable to grow up. He's also no where near as hot as I recalled him being. If I could have shown this video to my nervous, shy sixteen year old self, I don't think I would have been as intimidated by the boy. So funny how this turned out. I might look him up when I'm in NY. God, I wonder if he even remembers... His band's big hit song appears to be an ode to self-abuse. See if you can make it through more than a minute of this unfortunate track. He's the boy at the toilet.

TL;DR, I know.

Sigh. Goddammit.

Ha. I know, I know. I'm acting like a schoolgirl, but it was just so startling to see my high school crush in this context.

No. Sorry. That was totally unrelated to your post. But that was an entertaining read. It definitely feels great to grow up and realize you're the more well rounded person than someone you semi-mythologized.

Well, I'm making assumptions here. He could very well be a public defender and volunteer firefighter during the day. But... kinda doubt it. So what are you sighing about? Met the girl of your dreams?

Yeah. Just. I really like this guy. We get along so well every time we hang out. And he likes me. I just don't know if it's as much as I like him. It's just complication and I'm sure I'm heading for total heartbreak so I'm just trying not to let myself get carried away. But god. I want him.

there's almost never an even balance.

Oh, the power of least interest. But, hey, he could have just as strong feelings for you. Hope it works out!

At least you're not still a big ol nelly drama nerd.

Ha. Well, we all go through phases. Things were ever so dramatic in the 90s. Apparently.

I can't tell you how much I enjoyed the story of S7AA433R2. Ah life.

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    Agreed.
    Because fucking millenials that's what

Quote Originally Posted by MissingPerson View Post
    It makes me want to go and google all of my ex boyfriends from middle/high school now that I haven't thought about in years!
    Quote Originally Posted by involvelemons View Post
    Silent discos are like having sex with a virgin: really exciting in theory, extremely awkward in execution.
    Quote Originally Posted by BROKENDOLL View Post
    I bet Cara's gotten enough Twats on a Platter and Dick on a Stick to open her own Trolls to Go snack shop.

That video is hideous.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

That video IS hilarious hahaha
    last.fm
    8/23-24/14 FYF Fest - Expo Park //8/25/14 Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl // 9/6/14 Elvis Costello & Ben Folds - Hollywood Bowl
    9/12-14/14 Riotfest - Humboldt Park, Chicago, IL // 9/18/14 Neutral Milk Hotel - Hollywood Bowl

Hilariously hideous.
    Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    If you're in a relationship that causes Ancestry.com to crash, it's probably inappropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by ENluv12 View Post
    It makes me want to go and google all of my ex boyfriends from middle/high school now that I haven't thought about in years!
    Ha I did this recently and found a pic of my first with President Obama's arm around his shoulders. He always was shameless at self-promotion.

Hey girls!

Exodus Cancels Next ‘Love Won Out’ Conference Due to Lack of Interest

May 4th, 2012 David Roberts

In what seems like the logical extension of the recent trend, Exodus International has decided there were not enough people interested in attending their Love Won Out conference scheduled for later this month to justify the expense. Conference attendance has been trending downward, with their last conference bringing in barely 400 people. This is down from nearly 1000 in Exodus’ headier days.

In November, XGW reported on a secret meeting held by Exodus president Alan Chambers to come up with ways to rebrand the organization in the wake of social and financial collapse. Since then events have occurred which seem to validate that scenario. The cancellation of this conference, the first time we know of since either Exodus or Focus on the Family held the event, appears to provide more evidence of their decline.

In the email (see below) sent out to would be attendees barely two days ago, Exodus’ Senior Director of Events David Fountain suggests that they might “Automatically convert all or part of your registration fees into a tax-deductible gift to support the ministry efforts of Exodus International.”

Dear Attendee,

It is with great disappointment that we are notifying you today that the Love Won Out Conference scheduled for May 19th at Legacy Church in Albuquerque, NM has been cancelled.

First, we apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you. In my seven years serving on the Exodus team, this was one of the most difficult decisions I’ve had to make. Unfortunately, due to the low number of registrations we simply were unable to justify the substantial cost of bringing the LWO Conference to the Albuquerque area.

We are grateful for the support and commitment that we’ve received from Legacy Church. At this time, we are discussing the possibility of partnering together in bringing another Exodus event to the area next year. We promise to keep you updated via email regarding any announcements we may have about this future event.

Second, I realize some of you were probably very anxious to receive the encouragement and equipping the Love Won Out conference provides, so Exodus is offering complimentary recordings of all the Love Won Out teachings to anyone who had pre-registered for this conference. To request a copy of these teachings, simply reply to this email or call the Exodus office at 888-264-0877. While these recorded teachings can’t replace the full experience of attending a Love Won Out Conference, we hope that you find them helpful as you seek biblical answers for a very personal and controversial issue in our culture today.

Lastly, in the section below you will find several options for you to consider in regards to your registration fees. Please prayerfully consider and notify the Exodus office of your choice by Monday, May 14th.

Request a full or partial refund for registration fees. (If you choose this option, Exodus will issue and mail you a check for the full or partial amount that you are requesting. If you choose a partial refund, the remaining balance will become a tax-deductible gift to the ministry of Exodus and you’ll receive an end of year receipt.)

Automatically convert all or part of your registration fees into a tax-deductible gift to support the ministry efforts of Exodus International (If you choose this option, a receipt will be sent to you at the end of the year.)

Transfer your registration fees to another Exodus Event in 2012. Click here to see a full listing of upcoming Exodus Events. (If you choose this option, Exodus will send you a discount code to use when registering for another Exodus Event.)

Thank you for your patience, cooperation, and understanding as we strive to wisely steward the ministry the Lord has called us to.

For His Kingdom’s Cause,

David Fountain
    Senior Director of Events
    Exodus International

P.S.: Please call or email the Exodus office if you have any additional concerns or questions.

Quote Originally Posted by Riggins33 View Post
    Hey girls!
    HAYYYYYYY
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

I was wondering what people's take was on the Grindr app? A friend of mine recently showed it to me and it seems kinda cool but also kinda stalkerish. I live in a college town so I feel like it might work better than if I was in a big city but who knows. So has anyone used it and to any degree of success? Any horror stories or love stories come from it?

I don't have an iPhone, but I know plenty of guys who've had success on there. And some who haven't. No love stories, mind you. Just some NSA fun. I think you'll find the guys on a mobile app like Grindr are more likely to be ready to hook up than the guys on Manhunt. Though, like any hookup tool available, there will be the window shoppers, sthe stalkers and the long distance pen pal types. Never know if you don't vie it a shot. Also, last time I checked, the average demo seemed younger on Grindr than on Manhunt. Not sure if that's relevant to you. And if you're worried about horror stories, tell a friend where you're going to be.

EDITED TO SAY...

Oh, and, try not to be a douchebag of Grindr.

Ugh. Sorry for all the typos above. I'm shit at phone typing.