Page 97 of 97 FirstFirst ... 929394959697
Results 2,881 to 2,898 of 2898

Thread: The Gays* Only Thread

Default Re: The Gays* Only Thread

yeah yeah
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Can't wait to dance with you Salah.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

One of the Honcho dudes is playing this party for SF pride: https://www.facebook.com/events/7495...y_type=regular
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Ive had bad experience at beatbox....nothing but gays giving me dirty looks cuz, I dunno, my belly isnt flat? Not even kidding.

I dont mean to come off as sour jaded. I just am.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Man, Scruff really drains my phone's battery.

well don't use it for hours at a time!

Shouldn't it be draining something else? LOL BD GPS KVNTY

Have you gays seen that german gay film "Freier Fall" (Free Fall) yet?
    It came out last year and is now on Netflix streaming/iTunes.

It was billed as the german brokeback mountain, and it does share a similar plot, but this is present day and it's 2 german cops.

I'd rather not spoil anything, so if that interests you, stream Free Fall on netflix and post back here to discuss..

Yeah, I saw it a couple of months ago. To be honest, I didn't think much of it. I don't think it's anywhere nearly as good as, the admittedly flawed, Brokeback Mountain. Seems like a lazy comparison to me - not your comparison, Hunter, I know. It's a perfectly adequate film, but I feel like we've seen this story again and again. The bicurious 'straight' guy finally giving in to desire who then has to deal with the professional and personal repercussions. Maybe it's time for us to move on from this gay cinema archetype.

There's quite a bit of queer friendly cinema up on Netflix right now that I need to watch. A Douglas Sirk film, a documentary about Divine, that thing with James Franco about the making of Cruising, Parting Glances (which I feel like I did watch like a year or two ago but don't remember a ton about it), a movie from this year called Stranger By The Lake that's gotten good reviews, Araki's The Living End (which I've started a bunch but never quite finished, I don't think), Passolini's Sebastiane, and a whole lot of camp (I'm about due for a re-watch of Barbarella).

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Yeah, I saw it a couple of months ago. To be honest, I didn't think much of it. I don't think it's anywhere nearly as good as, the admittedly flawed, Brokeback Mountain. Seems like a lazy comparison to me - not your comparison, Hunter, I know. It's a perfectly adequate film, but I feel like we've seen this story again and again. The bicurious 'straight' guy finally giving in to desire who then has to deal with the professional and personal repercussions. Maybe it's time for us to move on from this gay cinema archetype.

Every minority film is the same thing over and over. Every mainstream black movie is pretty much the same movie. Every gay story is the same. Every American Indian movie is the same. Etc, etc. It's fucking disgusting, but that's Hollywood for you. It's really cheap pap to tug at the masses heart strings
    Quote Originally Posted by roboto View Post
    And stinkbutt leaving a motorhead set when you know he's dying just to talk shit ? Your a shitty person as well .please let mja give you an anal love disease .

Rage, did you catch anything at Outfest this year?
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    9/18 Fatboy Slim@Shrine - 9/19 Poolside@Skyway Pomona - 9/22 Interpol@Fox Pomona - 9/23 La Roux@Fonda - 9/25 Simian Mobile Disco@El Rey - 9/26 Die Antwoord@Observatory - 10/8 Gus Gus@Roxy - 10/10 Twin Shadow@Glass House - 10/12,19,26 IAMX@Complex - 10/24 Placebo@Club Nokia - 10/25 Superhumanoids@Palladium - 10/27 Tycho@Glass House - 10/31 Yelle@Fonda

Jorge - I only saw one film from Outfest this year - Bad Hair. It's about an impoverished Venezuelan single mother who viciously takes out all of her frustrations on her effeminate young son. It's not easy to take, but I found it very moving. I'm actually bummed I didn't see more. The lineup looked incredible. And only a fraction of the films deal with the traditional coming out/repression.

Heard very good things about Lilting, The Foxy Merkins, Tom at the Farm, Boulevard, Lyle, Boys, and Salvation Army. While I haven't seen any of the other films, reading the capsule summaries and hearing from friends who attended, I am really heartened to see that there are many talented, young LGBT filmmakers who are moving past this old-fashioned idea of telling our stories in the context of a heteronormative world. Perhaps I've just seen too much LGBT cinema, but I just don't need to see anymore coming out/repressed "straight" guy films for a while. There's more than one God damn story to tell and I'm glad we're moving forward. Hopefully some of these films will get distribution. Alas, for every one of them that does, we'll get another 17 editions of garbage like Another Gay Movie and Eating Out. Sometimes, gays are their worst enemy.

Another Gay Movie and Eating Out are definitely lowest common denominator type stuff, but you know, hot guys and stuff.

Outfest, I too liked a lot of the summaries I read about the films in this year's lineup, unfortunately my friends are less cultured than yours so I've not heard anything directly from anyone that attended. I'll be on the lookout for Bad Hair, I'm hoping that Outfest partnering with Newfest will lead to better leverage for some actual distribution, at least at a digital level. You'd think with so many platforms trying to launch there'd be more companies stepping up to grab more original content.

On a related note, how does everyone find out when new gay stuff premier's on Netflix streaming? Am I supposed to rely on an algorithm to know that I want to see Jame's Franco naked because I watched Stranger by the Lake?

Actors Farley Granger, Roddy Mcdowall and cock-blocker Jane Powell taking a break from filming in 1953.
    "Oh, Jane, you're still here?"

Attached Images Attached Images

hahahhaha.

Rage,

I have a dear friend who loves "old" Hollywood, sent him that picture and he got a real kick out of it. Thanks for posting. It's fascinating hearing him talk about the old studio system and the stars he used to love growing up in the 60s/70s, many of whom were products of that era.

Aw, that's great, Jorge. Apparently, it's not "just" a random picture. Farley and Roddy were apparently each others first.