Page 94 of 98 FirstFirst ... 89909192939495969798 LastLast
Results 2,791 to 2,820 of 2938

Thread: The Gays* Only Thread

Default Re: The Gays* Only Thread

All good points on the Looking finale, Jorge!

SD, I'm afraid my HBO Go pw is not mine to share, but I'm sure someone on here is a legit subscriber. Have a marvelous time w/ the BF!

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    Nope. You? It's a really fascinating development, but I don't know if I want to take a lifetime prescription to something which isn't medically necessary for me. That's not a criticism or value judgement--I just don't know if I want to have that hanging over my head for the rest of my life--and clinical trials are never 100% anyway, so who knows what 5, 10, 20 yrs on this kind of treatment will do to an individual? I think it's great if it works medically and psychologically for others, but I don't think it's for me. At least not for now. I also don't sleep around as much as I did in my 20s, so I see less need for it.
    yeah im on it as part of some study for a year....i pretty much fall in the type of person who would take it, but since ive started (about 3 months now i think) I havent really been slutting too much. Guess it comes in waves....plus im currently shacking up with my on/off boyfriend/lover (who I care for so much) but of course its complicated and now hes moving away to Michigan next month to be with family and I dont blame him since Bay Area is fucking crushing lately. But it still makes me sad....there are feelings I feel impossible to put into words, the way we are together. its so special.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by RageAgainstTheAoki View Post
    All good points on the Looking finale, Jorge!

SD, I'm afraid my HBO Go pw is not mine to share, but I'm sure someone on here is a legit subscriber. Have a marvelous time w/ the BF!
    Thanks! I got one off FB thanks to a lovely board member and watched the first two episodes so far. Probably shouldn't be hard to finish the season today. I agree that Salah's complaints are a little unfounded (although in the first five minutes of the show, they make fun of one dude for being too hairy and another for being "portly"), but they're not a totally homogeneous, twinky crowd. Definitely remind me of guys I know who are pretty down to earth. Although the main guy is undoubtedly the most boring of the lot, but there's still lots of nice character work going on there. The Cuban guy is even pretty cute despite being slimmer than what I typically go for (chalk that up to my weakness for Latinos though). But yeah, they seem realistic enough, and one dude is a waiter and another moves in with his bf in Oakland because he can't afford rent in the city, so one dude being a video game developer doesn't make it seem like it's just Lifestyle of the Wealthy and Fabulous. It's nice to see some gay characters on TV that I can relate to/emphasize with. Also, I loved they used Storm Queen's "Let's Make Mistakes" in the background of that three way scene.

As for pRep, I'm interested in that, but not sure how I'd go about getting it. I do like to whore it out and some times I'm less conscientious about safety than I should be when my hormones are raging and in the heat of the moment, even if I'm generally pretty good about things. But it does seem a little early in the process to put faith in it completely. In any case, it's an advancement and that's a great thing. Keep us updated with your experiences with it Salah. And sorry to hear about your dude, but maybe a clean break is a good thing if things seem to be so on again/off again. But I know that doesn't make things any easier.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Alright. I'm all caught up.

Patrick did end up earning his leading role in the subsequent episodes, I take back the "he's the most boring one" comment. The A.V. Club write ups on this show have been pretty good (some weird nitpicks and a slight fixation on filmmaking craft aside). In the comments section, Augustin seems to be universally hated, which I don't really get. Maybe it's because I find him kind of attractive, and he does have some soap opera-esque moments, but I like him. He's depressed and a total wreck (not that I can relate to that at all), which isn't the most fun thing to see on screen, but he can be a sweetheart, especially towards Patrick. And I kind of loved him being so goofy while rolling. He definitely needs to get his shit together and work out his issues, but this is a drama and that's what people do.

I could use a bit more character development for Dom. He was fairly strongly defined in the early eps, but his whole restaurant plot is kind of defining everything about him at the moment. Still, it's a short season and hopefully there will be more time to see him become more of a presence. Also, gotta love his roommate, she usually gets some of the best lines out of any episode (in response to Augustin fake hitting on her "Oh good, another gay down my shirt.").

That last scene between Patrick and Richie was pretty damn heartbreaking. There's something super charming about Richie and when he puts his heart on the line there, it tore me up inside. Earlier in the season, it was kind of easy to root for Patrick and Kevin to get together, especially that episode at Folsom Street Fair, but now it's becoming obvious that Kevin is probably even more of a mess than Patrick is and isn't going to push him to be a better person nearly as much as Richie would.

Anyway, as a whole, I was very impressed with this season and rank it as one of the best dramas of the past half decade. It's really nice to have a gay drama worth rooting for. Even if this was about straight people, it would be incredible because of the attention to small but important details and true to life moments and character motivations. Just all around a well written, acted and directed show. Also, we should move discussion of this next season to the main television thread because straight people should be invested in something like this as much as us gays.

maybe because i feel completely and utterly alienated by the *ahem* "community", do I have zero interest in that show.
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Glad you got to catch up on the show, SD! I pretty much agree with everything you said, though I think I was fully on board with Patrick from the start. Yeah, that penultimate scene on the doorstep was beautifully done. I'm so glad that Richie is back in s2 (in whatever aspect that may be). I think Raul Castillo is captivating and Haigh & co have done such a nice job of using his character to explore socio-economic relationship issues without getting preachy. And, yes, I also think Augustin is a more sympathetic character than he's given credit for and I'm interested to see how his character evolves in s2.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Anyway, as a whole, I was very impressed with this season and rank it as one of the best dramas of the past half decade. It's really nice to have a gay drama worth rooting for. Even if this was about straight people, it would be incredible because of the attention to small but important details and true to life moments and character motivations. Just all around a well written, acted and directed show. Also, we should move discussion of this next season to the main television thread because straight people should be invested in something like this as much as us gays.
    Yes! It's quite unlike any other show on TV, though if I had to choose one for comparison, I'd say the closest you'd get in feel would be Friday Night Lights. In fact, I wonder if we're doing the show a disservice by ghettoizing it in the "Gays Only" thread. It got renewed because its modest audience numbers grew throughout the season until it was grossing almost as many viewers as GIRLS each week. I highly doubt all of those viewers were gay men and their "Dorrises". Anyway, while you've got that pw, you know you'll have to dive right into True Detective and Girls, right?

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    maybe because i feel completely and utterly alienated by the *ahem* "community", do I have zero interest in that show.
    Or you could try, I don't know, watching the thing before making knee jerk judgments about it based on your own prejudices. You think I feel at all part of the larger "community"? It's a good drama about people, plain and simple. There's enough commonality there to resonate with people who aren't in the gay mainstream, like what your parents think and feeling awkward about bottoming or being interested in a guy that's in a different age range, and really, stuff that not-gay people can relate to like the thrill of getting to know someone new or feeling like you don't have what it takes to make it in your career of choice or being attracted to someone you work with. I'd much rather watch Looking than Where The Bears Are.

And yeah Rage, there's at least 10 series I want to watch in full on HBO, including those two, Enlighted, GoT, Veep, etc.

id rather watch "New Girl", thats a show I find myself relating to.

True Detective is awesome, Girls is....umm....

That's cool. You watch what you wanna.

But, should you feel comfortable, please do keep us posted on your experience with PrEP. I have one friend who's considering it, but other than that, I don't think I know anyone taking it.

Ugh. Sound is not working on my work computer. Gonna have to check this^ out later, but Justin Sayre is the guy behind (he he) the Meeting of the International Order of Sodomites, right? His NY cabaret/comedy shows are on my list of things to catch next time I'm in NY.

Yep. This is my first exposure to him.

that shit is weird. some of those guys are hawt, but the makeup makes it weird to get aroused
    Quote Originally Posted by RotationSlimWang View Post
    Smooches. =)

why is this a thing?

Oh God. No, no, no, no. Don't send in the clowns.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

You guys are really close-minded for a bunch of...well, y'know
    last.fm
    11/14/14 - Death From Above 1979 @ Regent // 11/16/14 - Lucero @ Echo

This is amazing. Can you even imagine a US lawmaker portraying a gay sex tourist in a film? I think Fox News might implode. Hell, I'd subject myself to a Mitch McConnell sex scene just to see the reaction.

Spanish Lawmaker Performs Gay Sex Scenes in New Film
    Filed By John M. Becker | March 20, 2014 7:00 PM |
    The Bilerico Project

How's this for sexually liberated? Toni Cantó, a hunky 49-year-old former actor and current member of the Spanish Parliament, stars in La Partida ("The Departed"), a new film about the lives of rent boys in Havana, Cuba. In the film, Cantó plays a Spanish sex tourist and appears nude in gay sex scenes.

The Local reports:

The film, which contains explicit sex scenes, tells the story of two Cuban rent boys who struggle with society's prejudices as well as their own fears.

Cantó shot the movie in Havana in 2011, a few months before he stood for elections in regional polls in Valencia with Spain's Union, Progress and Democracy (UPyD) party.

"If you're asking me if I would have played a gay character in sex scenes while being an MP, the answer is yes," Cantó told Spanish news agency EFE.

"I need to express my artistic side, otherwise I go a bit mad," the Valencian MP added as he described his plans to direct a political drama for the theatre.

Cantó's performance has turned heads and made headlines. Asked about the controversy, he remarked wryly, "I'm aware of the fact that I live in a society where people are more shocked by seeing an MP's backside than by one who robs or is paid under the table."

Cue conservatives demanding we cut ties with Spain in 5 . . . 4 . . . 3 . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    You guys are really close-minded for a bunch of...well, y'know
    Couldn't agree more, Drinkey. For what should be one of the most interesting threads on this board is really one of the dreariest. The only queers with a pulse around here seem to be GPS and Neighborhood Creep.
    Quote Originally Posted by fakekvnty View Post
    As awkward as the time I force-felched you?
    You bitchez will all CUM-ba-ya when y'all see my pee-shooter.
    All you ladybois want inside this pink slip

I only just started breezing through LOOKING. Got 2 more eps left to go, and I kinda like the show.
    I really don't like Augistine. Harrible. I like his boyfriend, though. He looks like Craig David.
    I want more CJ.

Augustine is a mess, and I like that his boyfriend serves butchqueen realness in the role. What did you think of the finale?
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    11/29 2 Bears @Avalon - 12/5 Flight Facilities @Regent - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims

Yass! Butchqueen is the right word. I hope he's in season 2.

Just watched the finale.
    I would really like Patrick to be with Kevin, even though that may be weird if for no other reason than he's his boss.
    Though, I guess we should want him to be with Richie more (?) That last scene with them was kinda sad-ish.

It would be easier if Kevin was an asshole or something, but he's not. (I need more Russell Tovey in my life!)
    And I didn't think he was going to come on as strong as he did in the finale.

edit-
    Oh, and just backtracked on the last page or so reading the previous Looking comments. I guess we all feel mostly the same way.
    And too bad about Frank not being bumped to regular. But maybe he'll pop up from time to time.
    Last edited by HunterGather; 04-03-2014 at 10:07 PM.

Lurker

Hey Gents! Any Weekend Two gays out here?!

Quote Originally Posted by HunterGather View Post
    I only just started breezing through LOOKING. Got 2 more eps left to go, and I kinda like the show.
    I really don't like Augistine. Harrible. I like his boyfriend, though. He looks like Craig David.
    I want more CJ.
    Yes! I was trying to figure out who that actor reminded me of. That's exactly right. He's like a butch Craig David.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebluephoenix View Post
    This guy right here!

The gays love Coachella.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by Firebluephoenix View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domeki View Post
    This guy right here!
    Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    The gays love Coachella.
    Yes we do Bob! Are we all meeting at Pet SHop Boys?
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    11/29 2 Bears @Avalon - 12/5 Flight Facilities @Regent - 12/27 IAMX @Complex - 12/31 IAMX @Slims

yeah seriously. is there any gay meet up over the weekend? i love meeting new faces, gay ones, and hearing stories about your coachellas (this will be my fifth) and checking you out, of course.