Page 93 of 95 FirstFirst ... 8889909192939495 LastLast
Results 2,761 to 2,790 of 2840

Thread: The Gays* Only Thread

Default Re: The Gays* Only Thread

Pending set times, where should the gay meetup be this year? Pet Shop Boys? If they are in the Sahara, we can meetup by the soundboard.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    Coachella W2 - 4/25 Dillinger Escape Plan@Glass House - 5/1 The Horrors@First Unitarian Church - 5/9 Big Freedia@Echoplex - 6/28 Robyn/Royksopp@Bill Graham

judging from the placement of other similar acts, i have a feeling the pet shop boys will be in the gobi tent. either way, i WILL be at that set. see you there, girls
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

I like their new song "Thursday".

Thursday is a great song live.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

If Madonna and Daft Punk played in the Sahara, why not the PSB?
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Anyone else catch the LOOKING pilot? I'd completely forgotten that Andrew Haigh, director of Weekend, was the EP. Kind of glad as, to tell the truth, I found Weekend a bit dull. Lots of similarities in tone between the two, but I found the characters and the writing far more interesting in LOOKING. The three main characters are definitely playing "types" -- the young naif, the older frustrated friend and the suddenly committed boyfriend -- but they felt unforced, relatable and interesting to me. Also, Jonathan Groff is adorable and Murray Bartlett, who was excellent in August (a really interesting film about a gay love triangle), is just ridiculously sexy. HBO has the whole pilot up on YouTube right now.

Also, depending upon your location, A Stranger By the Lake, which won the Queer Palm and the Best Director award at Cannes, is finally being released in the US this week.

A Stranger By The Lake is supposed to open at the Sundance (ex-Laemmle) on Sunset, I may try to check that out this weekend. I liked the first episode of Looking and my favorite scenes were the threesome "aftermath" and the awkward date. Can't believe that doctor split the bill that way, tacky bitch.
    Which healthcare provider will euthanize you the fastest as a service to society?
    Coachella W2 - 4/25 Dillinger Escape Plan@Glass House - 5/1 The Horrors@First Unitarian Church - 5/9 Big Freedia@Echoplex - 6/28 Robyn/Royksopp@Bill Graham

I know, right? I don't need my entertainment to always be, quote, "relatable", but I've been on that exact date.

who stopped the date mid-way thru? You or the date? BTW, you haven't filled us in on how your love life has been lately. Spill the T!

Also, if I was the one stopping the date, I would certainly pickup the tab.

He stopped the date mid-way through. He told me a cute story about how he got so embarrassed at work that day because he totally wrote the wrong name in his co-worker's birthday card today -- called her by his old co-worker's name. For some reason, I thought that I should one-up him in the embarrassment game and just casually mentioned that I'm pretty sure that on a drunken night in college I made out with a slightly mentally retarded man. And then things quickly unraveled from there.

As for my love life -- I highly doubt anyone's remotely interested in that.

Saw Interior Leather Bar today. I want that one hour of my life back.

On a more positive note, it looks like Undertow, a lovely Peruvian gay ghost story has been added to Netflix.

Did you gays know that after the Golden Girls ended, they did a spinoff with Rose, Blanche, and Sophia called The Golden Palace?

Dorothy had gotten married to Leslie Nielson and moved to Atlanta in the Golden Girls finale. The other 3 decided to invest in a Miami hotel that is up for sale.
    The series focused on the interactions between guests at the hotel and the hotel's staff.Guest stars were frequent, including recurring characters that had previously appeared on The Golden Girls and other celebrities (Bea Arthur reprised the Dorothy Zbornak role for a two-part storyline in which she visits the hotel to check up on her mother).

It lasted 1 season, 24 episodes.

Following the cancellation of the series, Sophia moves into the Shady Pines retirement home, appearing as a cast member in the later seasons of Empty Nest. What became of Rose, Blanche and the hotel is left unresolved.

Yes, of course we knew about Golden Palace. What, do you think we were raised by wolves? Unless they've been taken down recently, you can find all 24 eps on YT. But, for fans of Golden Girls, it's best to be avoided. The dynamics completely shifted in Palace with Blanche suddenly having to be the responsible head of a hotel instead of the self-involved slut. The writing was terrible, Bea Arthur's absence was felt and the premise was beyond stupid. It also starred a young Don Cheadle and Cheech Marin and some stupid kid actor. I'm pretty sure we watched Empty Nest growing up in my house, but I don't recall seeing Sophia on later seasons. I feel robbed. Those cross-overs were really big on 90s network tv it seems.

BTW, very big news from the world of professional football today with Michael Sam, a college player for the Tigers and a likely NFL draft pick, coming out. We're potentially looking at the first openly gay, active NFL player here.

I'm waiting for Tebow and/or Aaron Rodgers to come out, but yes, very brave of him.

And for whatever reason, the knowledge of the Golden Girls spinoff went over my head. The idea does sound horrible.
    I prefer that they stayed in Miami and went on with their lives. Maybe got a new roommate. Died.

Oh, I'm sure there are closeted players in every major league sport in the US. Perhaps your dream players, too, Hunter.

And, yes, I think the latter of those choices would have been best. Did you know that when Rue (RIP) was in the hospital after her stroke, Betty White sent her a big bouquet of flowers with a card that read "I hope you die first so that I can be the last Golden Girl" ? Love that sense of humor.

Looking has been renewed for a second season. What does everyone think so far? I can totally see how many in the community think it's "boring", but I think those people were looking for Queer as Folk the sequel, or a gay version of Girls. IMHO, this is much closer to being the Mad Men of gay TV (slower pace, layered characters, etc). Not that there's a lot to compare it too, only gay series that come to mind are QAF, Will & Grace and Noah's Arc (gay gay, not gay sensibilities, I love me some Bea Arthur, but Golden Girls doesn't make the list, sorry). While I think Augustin is going thru some tough times after losing his job, I could not believe what he told Patty about Richie. Catch Up Next Tuesday indeed!

Also, G.B.F. is available on DVD from Netflix. I'm sure it will be streaming soon.

I was thinking of starting a Looking thread, Jorge, but figured folks would pipe in here if they had any interest. You can count me among the show's fans. I think its initial mixed reception was because it was suffering under the weight of expectations--both about it being the "gay GIRLS" which it obviously isn't, and being HBO's first gay themed scripted program. And, in many people's minds (mine included), the first gay themed scripted program of any worth. It's a lot to live up to and this quiet, subtle, smart show isn't that ambitious. By the second ep, I was all-in and I think it's steadily grown in quality with each ep--peaking with last week's, beautiful dream-like all day date with Richie and Patrick.

In fact, this show has helped me understand why I, much to my frustration, didn't connect with Andrew Haigh's Weekend. Unlike every other college educated gay under 40, I was not enamoured with Weekend. For me, it was more a film to admire than to love. But last week's ep of Looking, the episode which most closely resembles Weekend, absolutely captivated me. With Weekend we had to spend a quiet, largely uneventful weekend with those two fellas without experiencing any of their history. With episode 5 of Looking, we'd already had 4 prior episodes--2 full hours--to truly understand Patrick's history, his relationships, his desires, his foibles. We had some of that with Richie as well. So, when we dive into this beautiful, hazy lost day in SF with them, we've already bought into the story, we're already familiar with and rooting for these characters and we can just let go and follow them down the rabbit hole. To me, everything that preceded that episode made it all the sweeter and emotionally rewarding.

There's no way to know this for sure, but I think that had ep 5 been used as the pilot, many of us would have found the story less involving and the characters less compelling. We also probably would have felt like Haigh was just repeating himself, but instead what he's done is evolve by deepening and enriching the kind of story he developed in Weekend.

I could go on and on about what this show is getting so right--beyond the acting/writing/directing--there are so many small, subtle moments and under-explored themes--everything from bottom-shame, to socio-economic divides, to ageism--and all done without preachiness. I'm happy that HBO kept the faith. According to Variety, the audience has steadlily grown with each episode and it's now grossing almost as many viewers as GIRLS. If that's the case, it can't just be gay men watching. BTW, Variety also mentions that "Kevin", "Richie" and "Dorris" have all been upgraded to regular cast member for s2. I love Dorris--such a funny and non-stereotypical straight female best friend.
    Last edited by RageAgainstTheAoki; 02-27-2014 at 10:51 PM.

Rage, after last night's episode, I just keep loving Dorris more and more. Glad we'll continue to see more of her next season.

wow, last night's episode was perfect. each of the three characters actually seem to be growing as people, or at least realizing what they need to do to grow. Shocker moment for me was when Kevin kissed Patty!! I think everyone expected Patty to be the one to make a dumb move so I was pleasantly surprised. Frank breaking up with Augustin was a rough but sobering moment. Frank's been so supportive and unless Augustin is intent on ruining every good thing in his life (his art, his friendships, now his relationship...yup, 3 for 3) then he needs to turn it around quick.

While Richie and Patrick are my favorite couple, Dom and Lynn's dynamic is a pleasure to watch. Can't believe there's only 1 episode left.

LOOKING sounds really good. Jonathan Groff is adorable. Will have to keep an eye out for it when I get home. So, how are we not talking about THIS electric blue shock of hair?

Jorge - I agree with just about everything you said. Loved the exchange between Patrick and his mother. He got to finally tell her about this resentment he's had bottled up and she, quite rightly, got to tell him that despite her shortfalls as a mother, it was up to him to make the right decisions in his life now. I wasn't surprised by the kiss, though. Yes, there was an immediate mutual attraction between them, but Patrick has had the last few weeks to dive head first into a new romance, whereas Kevin is in a relationship that appears to have stalled, so I can understand why he was the one to make the first drunken move.

As for Frank and Augustin, I don't think Augustin's going to turn it around. "Frank" was the only main character not upgraded to a full cast member for s2. I'm taking that as a sign that the split will be permanent. And that's prob a good thing. Augustin clearly needs to reflect upon his choices.

Oh, and, JewFace, I loved Liza's hair. Apparently, so did the rest of the internet.

I have to buy this series on DVD when it's released. My retired gay friend has no cable and isn't internet savvy. He wouldn't even go on youtube to watch the first episode, but whenever we have lunch and I tell him about the prior week's episode, he looks at me and says "you really need to read Tales of the City". Is it a travesty that I haven't? And for those that have, do the similarities end in the setting and the characters being gay?

Anyone going to see Boy George at the end of April?

Boy George The Belasco Theater
    Los Angeles, CA Tue, 04/29/14

Boy George Mayan Theater
    Los Angeles, CA Wed, 04/30/14

I am.

so who heres on PrEP?

edit

and I refuse to watch that bullshit series Looking. They lost me when I read the main character is a video game designer, I have to deal with these assholes on a daily basis. no thank you. also didnt realize only fit attractive gay men live in SF, or are they the only ones worthy of a story
    Last edited by sbessiso; 03-09-2014 at 10:11 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    so who heres on PrEP?

edit

and I refuse to watch that bullshit series Looking. They lost me when I read the main character is a video game designer, I have to deal with these assholes on a daily basis. no thank you. also didnt realize only fit attractive gay men live in SF, or are they the only ones worthy of a story
    Nope. You? It's a really fascinating development, but I don't know if I want to take a lifetime prescription to something which isn't medically necessary for me. That's not a criticism or value judgement--I just don't know if I want to have that hanging over my head for the rest of my life--and clinical trials are never 100% anyway, so who knows what 5, 10, 20 yrs on this kind of treatment will do to an individual? I think it's great if it works medically and psychologically for others, but I don't think it's for me. At least not for now. I also don't sleep around as much as I did in my 20s, so I see less need for it.

Sbessio, I think your assessment of Looking is a bit reductive. While I totally agree that media representation of all races, sexual and gender identities, body types, socio-economic backgrounds are vitally important, I think some unfair expectations are being placed on what is, essentially, the only gay themed program of any value right now. It can't be everything to everyone. It is a rather understated, beautifully composed show about three friends in SF. It's not supposed to be GAY AMERICA. Also, while Jonathan Groff (Patrick) is adorable and Murray Bartlett (Dom) is an Aussie sex god, the rest of the cast (Frank, Augustin, Richie, Dorris) all look like regular people I know or encounter nearly every day. As for the video game designer thing, I think the show does a marvelous job of dealing with the lead character's WASPy privileged background--especially with socio-economic divide between him and his main love interest in this season. It's something that doesn't get dealt with enough in modern relationship dramas or comedies--gay or straight--and Andrew Haigh deserves credit for doing so.

LOOKING FINALE SPOILERS:

Jorge, I think you and I are the only ones watching, but there's your spoiler warning. I LOVED the finale. It was my favorite episode since the dreamy all-day date from episode 5. I loved how a show that can feel semi-improvised actually has a lot of craft and artfulness behind its construction. One small example--this episode seemed to be dealing with silence and repression. Nearly every single interaction between two characters involved one fighting back against the other trying to silence him/her. As Dorris tries to champion Dom's character to Lynn, Lynn tries to silence her; as Kevin tries to awkwardly apologize to Patrick on the roof, Patrick shuts him down; when Patrick surprises Richie at the barber shop, Richie refuses to let him speak and tells him he needs distance; as Augustin tries to apologize to Frank, Frank stonewalls him and then cuts him down (as he probably should have). Then, when Richie and Patrick finallymeet on his doorstep, Patrick--who can never stop talking--finally stays quiet and tearfully listens to Richie tell him that he isn't ready for love. Such a beautiful moment--even if I'm not convinced that Richie is 100% right. And the Golden Girls ending was perfect. I can't wait for next season.

Maybe I'll illegally stream this damn show already instead of being 5 years late to the party like I am with every other show in the world.
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Or just borrow a friend's HBO Go password? HBO knows people share their passwords and, for now at least, doesn't care. In fact, they all but encourage it.

Are you offering?

Also, I cannot fucking wait for my boyfriend to come visit me for a week and a half because my sex drive is through the roof and making it impossible to focus on anything (and also because I love and miss him and all that bullshit). With my luck, I'll either be sick or no longer in the mood by the time he gets here, but there needs to be some major bones jumping because this town doesn't have much left to offer me in terms of sexual encounters. I'm so damned tired of all the gays being prudes, fake prudes who pretend they're only looking for a relationship but will jump on the first dick that comes their way, "discreet straight" guys, and of course, guys who are only looking for GL HWP DDF 18-30yos. It seems like the chubby/bear built dudes around here have a stricter "no fatties" policy than the slim and twinky types. Get the fuck over yourselves.

I loved the Looking season finale. while I agree with your assessment of silencing others, I felt that at times the characters were also silencing themselves. I wanted Augustin to depend on his friends, but he goes on a bender instead. I wanted Dom to express himself to Lynn, and he tried but relies on a kiss instead (seems to be an old standby for him). I wanted Patrick to push Kevin away (didn't go so well...i didn't see any bottom shame in that scene!) and I wanted him to speak to Richie, but he silenced himself. Yes, Richie wanted to be heard first but at the end when he broke down, I felt like he thinks he doesn't deserve Richie's love. Well that, and he probably was all sticky from the workplace sex. I was all "don't kiss him if you have dick breath bitch".

Patrick, hope you get to see your BF soon! Sucks about the lack of options in your town.