Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Renting house? How much did you pay?

Default Renting house? How much did you pay?

This is my 3rd year staying in the same house and 7th of getting a house in general, but every year I take a look around to see if there might be a better option. I was a little alarmed at some of the quotes I was getting for this year. One agent seemed to have a lot of listings (mainly in PGA West) and was charging 4k or more for a 3 bedroom that could only sleep 6-8. Only 3 years ago this much bigger house was going for around 5k. I can only imagine what it is at now.

To satisfy my own curiosity as well as provide a guideline for those still searching, I thought everyone could post pertinent info for comparison. So I'll start:

$1750 total for all 4 nights / 3 bedroom + pullout (sleeps 8) / Indian Palms (10 min bike ride)

I don't know if the post-2010 Coachella environment means prices will remain high, but if so I hope the house I have doesn't ever catch wind of prevailing prices.

Default Re: Renting house? How much did you pay?

Do you already have all of your house space spoken for? We have a car camping pass, but we're bringing our totally rad and festival-veteran kids with us and thought it would be nice to have the option of showers and beds. Anyone want to split/share our camping spot and a bedroom?

Don't jack my thread bub. Let's keep it limited to what I set out above.

We shopped around a bunch last week, granted it was a bit too late. Most of our quotes were at least 4K in Rancho Mirage, La Quinta etc. We had to resort to Palm Springs where we got a 3bd/2ba with a pool and huge yard for 1600 total. I'm imagining a mini campground in the back as we have almost 20 people in our group, not bad. We will be looking a lot earlier for next year
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

8.23 & 8.24 FYF Fest
    10.21-25 CMJ 2014

Cathedral City is 15 minutes away. I've stayed there the past six years and pay no more than 400 a night. 3 bedroom, sleeps 11. Has a pool, it's on a golf course.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

I got a place in La Quinta...2bedroom 2bath for 1925 total + 1000 deposit, sleeps 6. The lease says that they reserve the right to kick you out without refund and take the whole deposit if they have reason to believe more then the said amount of people are staying there, does anyone know how strict this actually is?

I heard horror stories of people just sleeping everywhere in rented houses, packed to the gills like an episode of Skins.

I know for the house we rented, we were told explicitly that there would be NO couch sleepers or people in a tent or sleeping bags in the backyard.
    Quote Originally Posted by Edmontonian
    The Sahara's sole purpose these days is to serve as bro-filter.

I booked a house this past Friday for 4 nights. 3br-2ba w/ pool & a jacuzzi in Rancho Mirage for $295 per nite and $300 refundable security deposit. I'd say I came out on top this year
    '01 '02 '03 '04 '06 '07 '08 '09 '10 '11 '12 '13...

Woah! You fucking win! Where'd you find that?!
    2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012.1, 2013.1, 2014.1
    -----
    http://www.last.fm/user/djoz187

8.23 & 8.24 FYF Fest
    10.21-25 CMJ 2014

booked a house in palm desert today, 11.5 miles out in the palm valley country club, 3 bdrm $250 down/ $1981 for all 4 nights. that was the best i could find short of getting a spot in palm springs (that drive at night is way too hellish). i say this every year but im booking as soon as the dates come out next year
    coachella 06 '07' 08' 09' 10' 11' 12' 13' 14'

How do you go about finding these rental houses?

House up for rent..walking distance. Right on 49th. $2,500.00.. 3bedroom, 3 bath. gated community..2 car max sorry...H.O.A. rules..

Quote Originally Posted by NeedMoreChorizo View Post
    How do you go about finding these rental houses?
    Google. Be resourceful. Craigslist. LA Times. VBRO. Craigslist in other cities (snowbirds).

Include La Quinta, Indi, Palm Desert, Cathedral City, Palm Springs, Indian Wells, Rancho Mirage in your searches.

You just have to be diligent and very resourceful. There are dozens of rental agencies and there are thousands of owners who donít use rental agencies, so there is no one-stop-shop for searching all inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by MantisMel View Post
    I booked a house this past Friday for 4 nights. 3br-2ba w/ pool & a jacuzzi in Rancho Mirage for $295 per nite and $300 refundable security deposit. I'd say I came out on top this year
    That's a hell of a deal.

We got a house last year in Palm Desert and slept 15 in it. It was great, but the cost ($1,700 + $1,500 deposit and $100 cleaning fee) and the amount needed up front kind of sent us back to a hotel.

We are at a 2 bedroom villa at the Marriott instead in order to avoid the deposit. We can't get as many people in the villa, but at least I am not having to throw money down until I get there. Next year, I think we can reconsider the house option.
    For your health

http://www.ps4rent.com/palm-spring/v...rivate-estate/

I stayed here last year...it was the fucking best! Elvis used to come party here.
    Quote Originally Posted by nationocean View Post
    It's like KoRn and Aidz Needles make a crime to my ears!!

This year, 8 of us rented a house in PGA West, and it cost over $500 per person.

A lot of owners wanted background information like ages, job occupations, etc. I guess a lot of homes got trashed last year?
    Last edited by furnace; 01-31-2011 at 12:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MantisMel View Post
    You win if bike-riding distance is not the overriding factor. For me, dealing with car parking b.s., or even shuttle/taxi is a deal breaker. Thus Indian Palms - and other surrounding neighborhoods - become by far the most valued area. It does suck to have to go to a community pool/hot tub though.

I heard horror stories of people just sleeping everywhere in rented houses, packed to the gills like an episode of Skins.

I know for the house we rented, we were told explicitly that there would be NO couch sleepers or people in a tent or sleeping bags in the backyard.
    A lot of owners wanted background information like ages, job occupations, etc. I guess a lot of homes got trashed last year?
    Yes owners are definitely on high alert after many years of trashing. Horror stories get passed around. The agent I deal with said owners were talking on the street we rent on about noise, garbage etc. (not from us though). I haven't heard of people getting checked on during their stay - major violation of privacy and possibly the lease agreement - but I wouldn't put it past some owners.

Everyone needs to do themselves, the owners, and most importantly, all of the other Coachella renters a favor by being reasonable and smart - no overcrowding, esp in back yards where neighbors can see you, keeping it clean, and trying to keep the noise down. I'm getting old so the last one is easy now that Fri and Sat go until 1am I'm ready to crash when we get home.

If you just do this you might even be able to establish long term relationship with owners or agents who are more likely to rent to you again rather than deal with a new group of unknown renters.

Banned

this is a 2007 thread fellow music lovers

^ um, no...

ROSE WHAT R YOU DOING!??? hahaha

He Is on Other Forums!!

Once Again....He cant function when coachella sell out..Sad day
    Quote Originally Posted by SaharaIsMyHome View Post
    Ex: If you were having sex with 1 girl and 2 others came in to join in, you wouldn't like that? One girl would most likely be riding u while the other two just stand off to the side and wait. eventually you will get ALL 3 on you. that is kind of like what im saying with Swedish House Mafia...3 > 1
    Coachella 2010, Soon 2011 and yes..He is shuffling

Kanyes "Stronger", into daft punks "Harder Better Faster Stronger"!!!! Cant wait!!

Quote Originally Posted by rose925 View Post
    The fuck is wrong with you?
    If we're lucky something will happen. Some adversity will happen and something unexpected will happen and you'll get tired and you'll get hungry, you'll have trouble going to the bathroom, and you'll lose your car keys, and all these wonderful things will add up to some powerful experience that 10 years from now we'll say "We lived, we lived." - Wayne Coyne on Coachella

9th year attending. 7th year getting a house. Originally got homes in Indian Palms and just hopped the wall to get to the festival. Think we used to pay 1200/week.
    As of 3 years ago our group got large enough to require a pool. The pool and large backyard changes everything especially when your group is 15-20 people. I've had to change houses 3 times now due to the place being sold. Usually reserve the place in June or July. Have paid 3200-3800/week for homes in La Quinta but that's from me reserving early. Other homes that size average 4-5k.

Have a place rented in Indio roughly 3 miles door to festival. 3k which included all fees, deposits and its 4 bdrm 2.5 bath with a pool. It was a bitch finding a house this year in comparison to previous years.
    "The Coachella Valley wasn't always like this, there's been a great many changes made since I came here some 67 years ago"

Condo for $575 for the whole week Friday-Friday in Indian Palms. 2nd year doing it and I can't say enough how awesome it is to walk in and out every day and not worry about traffic.

Although at night the walk is kinda brutal so this year we rented electric bikes.

7th Coachella this year, 4th time renting in Indian Palms. Prior years 2-3 bedrooms 2 bath houses were about $800-900 for the four nights. This year, got a 3 bedroom 2.5 bath for $1000 for the week. Booked it in August. Walking has always been great, but last year we biked which rocked.

Hey - where do you rent electric bikes from? Cost?

Be warned - last year my cycle got pretty damaged by people hopping fences sneaking into the fest. The only decent place to lock them was on the fences near the security entrance. Fortunately, my bike shop fixed it for free when I told the owner where it happened ("Wow you went to Coachella?"). Also, on the last night, someone tried to bust our lock so consequently it wouldn't unlock. Coachella actually has a 24 hour locksmith on site who sawed it open for about $20. Put us back from getting home by an hour, but overall an experience.
    Go Green.
    Coachella '05-'13
    Outside Lands '12-'13

Which neighborhood is the closest to the polo grounds? Mountain View?

There's multiple entrances now so it depends. La Quinta Citrus and Indian Palms are across the street. The houses at Plantation Golf Course are probably the closest but I never see them available for rent. It's a new neighborhood. I can remember walking past an empty field like 6 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by rose925 View Post
    wrong. the OP joined in 2007, but the thread is from 2011.
    --->Living-Silver.com <---

Booked a nice-looking (but not superfancy) three-bedroom with good-size pool out back in Palm Desert the day after the lineup came out for $1,000 + $150 cleaning fee. A steal, if you ask me.

We hand a handful of much nicer places (with much higher price tags) we were debating, but ultimately decided we just wanted a comfortable enough place to sleep and swim in the mornings and late at nights and having a rockstar kitchen wasn't that important with a grill in the backyard.

Comes out to about $200/person for five nights. Can't beat that.

We have rented a house in palm springs.3 bedroom 3 bath + pool/hot tub $1700 for 9 nights. Total cost was less than $300 for each of us going. (7 people).

We also bought the shuttle pass, so hopefully everything goes smoothly. We also got Conan O'Brien tickets for the Monday before the festival. WHAAT!