Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: 2011 Hollywood Bowl Season Announced!

Default 2011 Hollywood Bowl Season Announced!

Well, there ya go. Lease events are not listed. And also, first and closing nights for KCRW are TBA, wonder who they could have.

# OPENING NIGHT AT THE HOLLYWOOD BOWL - Friday, June 17 - HOLLYWOOD BOWL ORCHESTRA
    # KCRW’S WORLD FESTIVAL - Sunday, June 19 - Artists to be announced
    # JAZZ AT THE BOWL - Wednesday, June 22 - JAZZ AT LINCOLN CENTER ORCHESTRA with WYNTON MARSALIS and HUGH MASEKELA
    # “GREASE” SING-ALONG - Friday, June 24
    # KCRW’S WORLD FESTIVAL - Sunday, June 26 - BIG IN JAPAN, YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA and CIBO MATTO
    # JULY 4th FIREWORKS SPECTACULAR - Saturday, July 2 Sunday, July 3 and Monday, July 4 with DARYL HALL & JOHN OATES and HOLLYWOOD BOWL ORCHESTRA
    # TUESDAY CLASSICS July 12 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with GUSTAVO DUDAMEL, conductor
    # JAZZ AT THE BOWL - Wednesday, July 13 - CHRIS BOTTI and BOBBY McFERRIN with YELLOWJACKETS
    # THURSDAY CLASSICS - July 14 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with GUSTAVO DUDAMEL, conductor
    # WEEKEND SPECTACULAR - Friday, July 15 and Saturday, July 16 - SARAH McLACHLAN with the HOLLYWOOD BOWL ORCHESTRA
    # SUNDAY SUNSET CONCERTS - July 17 - Puccini’s TURANDOT and LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with GUSTAVO DUDAMEL, conductor
    # TUESDAY CLASSICS - July 19 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with GUSTAVO DUDAMEL, conductor
    # THURSDAY CLASSICS - July 21 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with GUSTAVO DUDAMEL, conductor
    # DOLLY PARTON - Friday, July 22 and Saturday, July 23
    # KCRW’S WORLD FESTIVAL - Sunday, July 24 - RICKEY MINOR’s GLOBAL SOUL REVUE with CECI BASTIDA, ROCKY DAWUNI and STEVIE WONDER, special guests
    # TUESDAY CLASSICS - July 26 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with VASILY PETRENKO, conductor
    # JAZZ AT THE BOWL - Wednesday, July 27 -GLADYS KNIGHT and additional artists to be announced
    # THURSDAY CLASSICS - July 28 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with VASILY PETRENKO, conductor
    # WEEKEND SPECTACULAR - Friday, July 29 and Saturday, July 30 - MICHAEL FEINSTEIN AND THE SINGING STARS OF TELEVISION with LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC. Appearances by Florence Henderson, Cheyenne Jackson, Dick Van Dyke, Vanessa Williams and others
    # KCRW’S WORLD FESTIVAL - Sunday, July 31 - REGGAE NIGHT with TUFF GONG WORLDWIDE & ZIGGY MARLEY SALUTE, LEGENDS OF REGGAE, TOOTS HIBBERT, MIGHTY DIAMONDS, and special guests
    # TUESDAY CLASSICS - Aug. 2 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with LIONEL BRINGUIER, conductor
    # THURSDAY CLASSICS - Aug. 4 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with JOANA CARNEIRO, conductor
    # WEEKEND SPECTACULAR - Friday, Aug. 5, Saturday, Aug. 6, and Sunday, Aug. 7 - “HAIRSPRAY” (Cast to be announced)
    # TUESDAY CLASSICS - Aug. 9 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with PERRY SO, conductor
    # JAZZ AT THE BOWL - Wednesday, Aug. 10 - BLUES NIGHT, ROBERT CRAY, KEB’ MO’, and MAVIS STAPLES
    # THURSDAY CLASSICS - Aug. 11 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with PERRY SO, conductor
    # WEEKEND SPECTAULAR - Friday, Aug. 12 and Saturday, Aug. 13 - EN FUEGO: VOICES AND GUITARS with RODRIGO Y GABRIELA, MUJERES DE AGUA featuring JAVIER LIMÓN and BUIKA
    # SMOOTH SUMMER JAZZ - Sunday, Aug. 14 - DAVE KOZ & FRIENDS and SPYRO GYRA
    # TUESDAY CLASSICS - Aug. 16 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with RAFAEL FRÜHBECK DE BURGOS, conductor
    # JAZZ AT THE BOWL - Wednesday, Aug. 17 - JONI’S JAZZ with guests to be announced
    # THURSDAY CLASSICS - Aug. 18 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC - with RAFAEL FRÜHBECK DE BURGOS, conductor
    # WEEKEND SPECTACULAR - Friday, Aug. 19 Saturday, Aug. 20 and Sunday, Aug. 21 - WALT DISNEY’S “FANTASIA” with HOLLYWOOD BOWL ORCHESTRA
    # TUESDAY CLASSICS - Tuesday, Aug. 23 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with LEONARD SLATKIN, conductor
    # JAZZ AT THE BOWL - Wednesday, Aug. 24 - ORQUESTA BUENA VISTA SOCIAL CLUB featuring OMARA PORTUONDO and NINETY MILES featuring STEFON HARRIS, DAVID SANCHEZ, CHRISTIAN SCOTT
    # THURSDAY CLASSICS - Aug. 25 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with LEONARD SLATKIN, conductor
    # WEEKEND SPECTACULAR - Friday, Aug. 26 and Saturday, Aug. 27 - JOHN WILLIAMS: MAESTRO OF THE MOVIES
    # KCRW’S WORLD FESTIVAL - Sunday, Aug. 28 SERGE GAINSBOURG TRIBUTE with JEAN CLAUDE VANNIER, BECK, CHINA FORBES, SEAN LENNON, CHARLOTTE KEMP MUHL (The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger) and more to be announced
    # TUESDAY CLASSICS - Aug. 30 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with MICHAEL RIESMAN, conductor
    # JAZZ AT THE BOWL - Wednesday, Aug. 31 - GEORGE BENSON with GEORGE DUKE/MARCUS MILLER/DAVID SANBORN
    # THURSDAY CLASSICS - Sept. 1 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with JUANJO MENA, conductor
    # THE BIG PICTURE: MOVIE NIGHT - Sunday, Sept. 4
    # TUESDAY CLASSICS - Sept. 6 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with ITZHAK PERLMAN, conductor and violin
    # JAZZ AT THE BOWL - Wednesday, Sept. 7 - THE QUINCY JONES BAND Featuring THE GLOBAL GUMBO ALL-STARS and FRIENDS
    # THURSDAY CLASSICS - Sept. 8 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with RAMWELL TOVEY, conductor
    # WEEKEND SPECTACULAR - Friday, Sept. 9 and Saturday, Sept. 10 - TCHAIKOVSKY SPECTACULAR WITH FIREWORKS
    # KCRW’S WORLD FESTIVAL - Sunday, Sept. 11 - Artists to be announced
    # TUESDAY CLASSICS - Sept. 13 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with BRAMWELL TOVEY, conductor
    # THURSDAY CLASSICS - Sept. 15 - LOS ANGELES PHILHARMONIC with NICHOLAS McGEGAN, conductor
    # WEEKEND SPECTACULAR - Friday, Sept. 16 and Saturday, Sept. 17 - FIREWORKS FINALE: A NIGHT AT THE MOULIN ROUGE
    # SUNDAY SUNSET CONCERTS - Sept. 18 - FIREWORKS FINALE: A NIGHT AT THE MOULIN ROUGE

Default Re: 2011 Hollywood Bowl Season Announced!

Read through all of that on LA Times and not too excited about anyone so far. At first I was for Joni Mitchell and then realized she's not actually going to be there. Dolly Parton maybe since I'm getting so into country lately.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Cibo Matto on my birthday weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by suprefan View Post
    # KCRW’S WORLD FESTIVAL - Sunday, June 26 - BIG IN JAPAN, YELLOW MAGIC ORCHESTRA and CIBO MATTO
    OMG!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Cibo Matto on my birthday weekend!
    If you're out here, it's on me.

the words "spectacular" and "sarah mclachlan" do not belong in the same sentence
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Whoa, Cibo Matto?

The Serge Gainsbourg Tribute looks badass. I'll have to check out Gladys Knight at Jazz at the Bowl as well. All the KCRW events are worth going to in my experience - wonder when we'll get a lineup for those shows.

Hall & Oates? Nice!
    For your health

old school

I know my chicken you got to know your chicken.
    Obi Wan Kenobi told me in the lobby.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

old school

I'd really like to see Itzhak Perlman.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

Y.M.O. & Big In Japan!!

Friday, Aug. 12 and Saturday, Aug. 13 - EN FUEGO: VOICES AND GUITARS with RODRIGO Y GABRIELA, MUJERES DE AGUA featuring JAVIER LIMÓN and BUIKA

Nice!

DOLLY PARTON'S SPECTACULAR BOOBS - Friday, July 22 and Saturday, July 23
    fixed

I think at 1 point Dolly Parton's boobs were Big in Japan. Not sure though.

As for the line up, I'm intrigued...we shall see how many I attend this season.

I see nothing of interest on the list.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

I'm in for the buy 5 deal. Not as good as last year, but still worth it. Mighty Diamonds will be sweet
    Last edited by whynotsmile99; 01-25-2011 at 05:46 PM.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Incredibly jealous of that Cibo Matto date. If I could, I mostdefinitefuckingly would.

FOUR TET. HOT CHIP. SIMIAN MOBILE DISCO. BOOKA SHADE. LEE SCRATCH PERRY. BEACH HOUSE.

Richie Hawtin. James Blake. Loco Dice.

I will definitely be at the Philip Glass show.
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    8/25 Little Dragon @ Sonos Studios
    9/6 Salva @ TBA
    9/17 DJ Earl @ Low End Theory
    9/18 Gaslamp Killer @ Mayan
    9/22 Interpol @ Fox Pomona
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey

Cibo Matto and Yellow Magic Orchestra? Seriously? Wow.

Is this one of those shows that will sell out or will I be able to score prime seats the week of for half price?
    8/20 SISU and Tanlines @ Sayers Club, 8/21 The Zombies @ Santa Monica Pier, 8/23-24 FYF Fest, 9/10 Swans @ Roxy, 9/18 Neutral Milk Hotel & Daniel Johnston @ Hollywood Bowl, 9/19 Tokimonsta @ El Rey, 9/30 Cibo Matto @ the Roxy, 10/3-4 Desert Stars, 10/9 Zola Jesus @ El Rey, 10/16 Massive Attack @ Greek Theater, 10/22-25 CMJ, 10/26 Asobi Seksu & Slowdive @ Royale

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    the words "spectacular" and "sarah mclachlan" do not belong in the same sentence
    I think they wrote it that way because she's gonna have a hispanic backing band. So it's like Sarah McLachlan SpectaculARRRRRRR
    8/21 - The Zombies - Santa Monica Pier
    8/22 - Slint - El Rey (?)
    8/23-24 - FYF Fest - Exposition Park
    8/28 - Ty Segall - Echo
    8/31 - Sleep - Troubadour (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by ficklecycle View Post
    I will definitely be at the Philip Glass show.
    ha i keep looking at that list and keep missing him. What date is he one? I saw him last year, or the year before that along with koyaanisqatsi. Stellar show. Not to be missed.
    Then I will hold you down and spit her percolations all over you until you're as greasy as the day she regrets pushing your big fat ass out her big fat cunt.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

cibo matto!

sorta week compared to this season. but i always love me some philharmonic. and the t.b.a. KCRW dates could be legit...

Quote Originally Posted by whynotsmile99 View Post
    ha i keep looking at that list and keep missing him. What date is he one? I saw him last year, or the year before that along with koyaanisqatsi. Stellar show. Not to be missed.
    He's on the 30th of August. I was at that show too and maaaan I was blown away. I'll see you there.
    8/21 Interpol @ Boulevard Pool
    8/23 & 24 FYF Fest
    8/25 Little Dragon @ Sonos Studios
    9/6 Salva @ TBA
    9/17 DJ Earl @ Low End Theory
    9/18 Gaslamp Killer @ Mayan
    9/22 Interpol @ Fox Pomona
    9/25 Simian Mobile Disco @ El Rey

ummmmmmmmm

# KCRW’S WORLD FESTIVAL - Sunday, Aug. 28 SERGE GAINSBOURG TRIBUTE with JEAN CLAUDE VANNIER, BECK, CHINA FORBES, SEAN LENNON, CHARLOTTE KEMP MUHL (The Ghost of a Saber Tooth Tiger) and more to be announced
    gonna catch one of the Hall and Oates shows, probably the one with Keb Mo too.

11/21 - Pearl Jam - Viejas Arena

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post

Is this one of those shows that will sell out or will I be able to score prime seats the week of for half price?
    Sounds risky, especially if this really is Cibo Matto's first live show since 2001.

Quote Originally Posted by PJandBompton View Post
    ummmmmmmmm

gonna catch one of the Hall and Oates shows, probably the one with Keb Mo too.
    Definitely focusing on the wrong name there: Jean Claude Vannier is the person who wrote the string arrangements and conducted the orchestral parts of Melody Nelson. This show will be incredible.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Yellow Magic Orchestra. FUCKING HELL YES.

# SMOOTH SUMMER JAZZ - Sunday, Aug. 14 - DAVE KOZ & FRIENDS and SPYRO GYRA
    AKA: Everything my dad forced me to listen to in the car from 1995-1999.

Quote Originally Posted by Boourns View Post

Its the Bowl, I doubt it, cause ya know, half price on those seats will still be $100.