Thread: The scalper waiting game

Cool The scalper waiting game

Don't despair if you don't have a camping ticket and definitely DONT PAY $400 for a camping pass. Wait until 3 weeks prior to the festival!

Yes, the scalpers bought every available ticket. However, they are not going to the festival, and don't even have the camping ticket in hand yet. It would be a huge mistake to pay someone for a ticket they don't have!

2-3 weeks prior to the event (end of March), all the camping tickets will be delivered to the scalpers (and also to the real people who were just on it, go you!). That is the time to buy. They will have a mountain of tickets in hand and everyone will have already made alternate housing arrangements. Result? camsite will be empty and tickets will return to normal price. I bet you will be able to buy a camping ticket for $50 on April 7.
    Coachella 2006,2007,2008,2009
    3 Days + Onsite Camping
    http://www.youtube.com/coachellabands

Default Re: The scalper waiting game

This is not a bet I would risk taking if you really want to go to the fest and are travelling any sort of distance.

Clearly you have little to no critical thinking skills.
    Quote Originally Posted by fancy restaurant View Post
    Although, I did attend more Slipknot concerts than any person ever really should. I remember once I told their lead singer "This is my 12th Slipknot show!" and he was just like, "Dude. Why?"
    Quote Originally Posted by cperkins9027 View Post
    Bring Aoki back next year and let him bring his friends. Open your minds and appreciate what he can do.

I bet you won't be able to buy many camping passes for $50 on 7 April.

The better bet is to stay on the look out for people whose plans change or have friends who have bought extras. Then you might pick one up for $75.

Sounds like good idea but not for if like me and my girlfriend who where traveling from NY. Cant afford risk it with plane tickets and all. Never thought it would sell out so fast. went last year for the first time and had a blast.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by coachellabands View Post
    Don't despair if you don't have a camping ticket and definitely DONT PAY $400 for a camping pass. Wait until 3 weeks prior to the festival!

Yes, the scalpers bought every available ticket. However, they are not going to the festival, and don't even have the camping ticket in hand yet. It would be a huge mistake to pay someone for a ticket they don't have!

2-3 weeks prior to the event (end of March), all the camping tickets will be delivered to the scalpers (and also to the real people who were just on it, go you!). That is the time to buy. They will have a mountain of tickets in hand and everyone will have already made alternate housing arrangements. Result? camsite will be empty and tickets will return to normal price. I bet you will be able to buy a camping ticket for $50 on April 7.

you cant bet on that
    thats dumb and risky
    not smart
    your gonna be left shit out of luck!
    true story

Lol @ you OP. I bet you'll be paying almost 700 dollars for a camping pass this year with your reasoning. They will only get more expensive.

I had to buy mine for $200. Having the peace of mind that I will be there is worth the extra $.Plus once I am there it will not matter how much it cost because I will be having too much fun to be thinking about that.

$50 ain't gonna happen.

but fuck it, anything less than $200 would be attractive. i have hopes of snagging one, but there are thousands of people with similar hopes, who will all be looking for these tickets at the same time. nothing to bank on.

I won't be surprised if they go over 1000.

I have to agree with the original poster here. If you wanna spend extra money for piece of mind, go right ahead, it's your cash. I for one plan on turning the tables on these vultures and wait till the end to pick some up. If scalpers can't unload tickets that they won't be using, they'll be out hundreds if not thousands of dollars. I'll spend up to 100 bucks for camping tickets, but the 500 that they are selling for now. No thanks, I work hard for my money and won't give it to some unethical person who is exploiting coachella's ticket loophole.

Quote Originally Posted by badmthfckr View Post
    I'll spend up to 100 bucks for camping tickets, but the 500 that they are selling for now. No thanks, I work hard for my money and won't give it to some unethical person who is exploiting coachella's ticket loophole.
    You won't be able to go to Coachella then, unless you can find a buddy to help you.

Scalpers will keep winning as more and more passes are bought up, unfortunately.

Also, camping tickets were about 100 bucks after hidden fees and shipping anyway, you wont get anywhere near that price this year.

You people think that prices will go down as the festival gets closer...but they will go up as less tickets become available and the event nears. I have no idea where you all get your evidence from...but experience tells me that ticket prices for hot events only go up as more get sold and the event comes closer. There may be a short dip long before the actual event. But for the most part, scalpers will not have a hard time getting rid of camping spots. Coachella has some of the highest income concert attendees in the United States. The 700 dollar tickets sold out already and they don't even get you anything special.

Sorry all.

I wish I had free extras to give out to all of you.

The tickets will fall in price BUT they will rise again as the event gets closer.

The time to buy might be mid February to mid March. During this time the "small" scalpers will start to get nervous and just try to get rid of the tickets. Some tickets should be going for $200 during this period (which is really not that bad of a deal).

you never know about the prices going down but I'm not betting on it. Having watched a lot of ticket auctions on stubhub and the like I have seen a sold out show selling for hundreds of dollars overprice to barley face value. If no one buys prices go down.

This is all dependent on the amount of passes held by scalpers and those attending the festival. High camping prices may discourage a lot of people from purchasing tickets, and if the majority of the camping passes are held by scalpers, prices could fall.

2012 Coachella & TBA
    2011 Wakarusa & Bonnaroo
    2010 Coachella
    2009 Bonnaroo
    2008 Wakarusa

old school

Your reasoning is so amusingly flawed. You are talking about a world market for these camping passes. There is plenty of money in the world & people will pay whatever they have to in order to secure their spot. You fools are grasping at straws. Whatever makes you feel better & gives you a false sense of hope.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

old school

Its supply & demand folks. As long as the demand is high they will sell. We already know that the supply is low so you kids do the math.
    "Oh this uncertainty is taking me over"

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

yea dude this is going to go extremely south on you, surely you can't be serious
    3/2 Sasha // Big Gigantic
    3/8 STS9, Cherub
    3/19 Eric Clapton
    3/21 EOTO, Govinda
    3/29 Eskmo
    4/4-4/6 Lotus @ Boulder Theater, CO
    4/8 Sigur Ros
    4/12 Gramatik
    4/15 Morrissey
    4/19 Umphrey's McGee // The M Machine
    4/20 Dirty Phonics
    5/2 Alk3
    5/10 Bonobo
    5/31 Lucky Date
    6/3 Postal Service
    6/13-6/16 Bonnaroo

Lurker

I think hes just trying to help those who have already made offsite camping arrangments, to keep an eye out for onsite camping.

Its not like he doesnt have a plan, hes just saying, 'yo keep an eye out'.

I tend to agree with him.

I already have camping arrangements, but if I can find car camping on the cheap, ill definitely be grabbing those.

Considering that face value of the passes was $80 I can assure you no one will be getting one for $50 come April.

Even if you are going to try to wait it out, I would make alternate fully refundable arrangements (hotel reservation, RV rental, off-site camping, etc), just in case.

I'm personally waiting out for Kim Kardashian. Sooner or later she's gonna be after my sperm....and when she is, I'll be ready.
    Class of 1999, 2007, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012 W2, 2013 W1 & 2014 W2

Quote Originally Posted by Lotus View Post
    How can some1 still 100 dollars from a broke single mom!!!!! WTF!! People r so getto!! I wouldint do that to some1 I hate

Also good to point out that if you use a travel site to book a hotel (Expedia, Hotels.com etc.), those reservations are usually non-refundable.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Quote Originally Posted by billtino View Post
    I'm personally waiting out for Kim Kardashian. Sooner or later she's gonna be after my sperm....and when she is, I'll be ready.
    If you're a white guy I'd say you've got about the same chances as getting a camping pass.

Yeah... thought about taking a chance but when you consider the capacity of the festival and the capacity of the camping area, the odds are not really in your favor.

Although --this is a tangential analogy-- I remember when Pavement reunion tickets went on sale in NYC, everyone bought them a year in advance and they sold out, but once the event came around, people were trying to unload them like crazy, and fans were able to get tickets at $10 a pop. I don't think this will be the case here... but it's not entirely out of the realm of possibility.

I GOT A CAR CAMPING SPOT...ONLY PROBLEM, I GOT NO 3 DAY PASS! SO CHECK THIS OUT... ALL I NEED IS (ONE) 3 DAY PASS INTO COACHELLA AND YOU AND WHOEVER YOU WANT (UP TO 4 PEOPLE) CAN STAY AT MY CAR CAMPING SPOT. I WILL NEED TO HAVE MY CAR PARKED INSIDE THE CAMPING SPOT, SO IF YOU ALSO NEED A RIDE TO COACHELLA, I CAN COME PICK YOU UP. EVEN IF YOURE FLYING INTO ONTARIO/LAX/JOHN WAYNE/AND BURBANK. HIT ME UP ANYTIME AND LET ME KNOW WHATS UP.