Page 58 of 88 FirstFirst ... 5354555657585960616263 ... LastLast
Results 1,711 to 1,740 of 2624

Thread: I never realized how horrible Skrillex was until now

Default Re: I never realized how horrible Skrillex was until now

I will still forever worship DP at Coach though. It was outerbody on so many levels.

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    They are ALL guilty of it. That's why it's called electronic. The electronic acts I give the most props to are those that actually use live instruments like Trentmoller and even Infected Mushroom.
    you are woefully ignorant of many types of very complex and involved live performance methods that are wholly electronic.

But feel free to distribute your "props" wherever you see fit.

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    Some of the best music I've ever experienced was in dark smokey rooms where I'd have a hard time even remembering which direction the DJ was at.
    More DJ sets likes this. Way more fun when everyone in the crowd is more concerned with shaking their booty instead of watching a guy look at his mixers and occasionally throw the peace sign up.

This argument is almost always a nonstarter because people can't look at music from anything but a rockist perspective. Nobody will really ask why it's better for each note or drum hit to be a result of someone doing A Thing, that's just understood as How Music Should Be, so it's hard to defend electronic music in that context.

Photek was legendary in dnb and idm while sonny was losing his baby teeth.
    correct, pretty inaccurate to just call him a dubstep producer. man is a dnb legend.
    Let me see what you're workin with

Mittens plays records--> http://soundcloud.com/stunmo/set-styles-on-stun
    http://soundcloud.com/mittens/funky-bizness

Quote Originally Posted by Fikey View Post

complextro.

that's a good one
    Let me see what you're workin with

Mittens plays records--> http://soundcloud.com/stunmo/set-styles-on-stun
    http://soundcloud.com/mittens/funky-bizness

I really wish the video in the OP still worked...

They are ALL guilty of it. That's why it's called electronic. The electronic acts I give the most props to are those that actually use live instruments like Trentmoller and even Infected Mushroom.
    Uhh, you realize that rock is technically electronic music, right? No amplifiers/electricity = no rock and roll. Or that piano players are essentially just pressing buttons and pedals, right? Artistry comes from how people put those sounds together. I really like you, gunz, but this statement is kind of foolish. To each her own, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    I'm still waiting for Jack White to finally admit that he invented the guitar.

Quote Originally Posted by Trick Loves The Kids View Post
    This argument is almost always a nonstarter because people can't look at music from anything but a rockist perspective.
    Obviously there are a number of skills that go into constructing and executing a great DJ set, but the one all the purists seem to focus on is the mixing, beat-matching, whatever. Part of the thrill (at least for me) of experiencing live music is witnessing someone perform something difficult and extraordinary that at any moment they could conceivably fuck up. That's not a "rockist" perspective. That's what audiences have come to expect from live music since cavemen started banging bones together. If the greatest skills a DJ performs during a live set are all behind the curtain, it's easy to see why so many just get lazy and ditch it all together in favor of bombarding the audience with bright lights.

I agree my comment was not well thought out. I was trying to get at the fact that In most live performances the intricacies of the DJ's skills are lost and the average person is just watching the visuals. The last time I was truly enthralled by a DJ and all he had was a brain, arms, and two turntables was with Jon Hopkins. He was amazing. Sadly when DJ's spin, especially in large venues, they have to put on a show and often that comes at the sacrifice of their real skills. So when they at least bring in other talents that can showcase their playing skills I am more apt to enjoy it. They can show me all the cool pics on the video screens, but when I see the computers doing most of the work with the music I am disappointed.

Daft Punk '96 in WI > Daft Punk 06 in So Cal

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    it's easy to see why so many just get lazy and ditch it all together in favor of bombarding the audience with bright lights.
    Obviously in some(maybe most) cases it is laziness/lack of skill but I feel like a majority of the crowds that go to these shows have come to expect some form of light show/video to accompany the music. It mostly done to please the audience. Simply being a gifted DJ doesn't "wow" people anymore, especially in an era where artists are doing such ridiculous things with light shows, lasers and 3-D mapping. It's basically become a requisite of a DJ to have a good light show or to face irrelevance.
    Don't get me wrong, there is nothing more impressive than someone actually gifted at turntablism (My favorite "visuals" in the Sahara last year were the video screens showing A-Trak do his thing). DJ skills are just not something that can be broadcast like live instrument, where you can see and hear the difference between good and bad. To most there is almost 0 difference between a DJ is simply pressing play and messing with a phaser and a DJ who actually has real talent on the decks. Look at Andy C and DJ Shadow two extremely talented DJ's who need nothing more than their skills to put on an unreal show yet both have adopted an elaborate light show to keep up with the times. Does this trend allow for talentless clowns to hide their deficiencies? Absolutely, but it is also become so commonplace it is simply an expectation of any DJ.

Quote Originally Posted by Highly Refined Pirate View Post
    I really wish the video in the OP still worked...
    http://vimeo.com/17719978

Quote Originally Posted by mmsk123 View Post
    Like I needed another reason to hate myself for smoking Crushes.

I love him checking the chords like, "Damn, why didn't my computer warn me I only had 10% battery remaining? I could have sworn I plugged that shit in".

Quote Originally Posted by bobert View Post
    Obviously there are a number of skills that go into constructing and executing a great DJ set, but the one all the purists seem to focus on is the mixing, beat-matching, whatever. Part of the thrill (at least for me) of experiencing live music is witnessing someone perform something difficult and extraordinary that at any moment they could conceivably fuck up. That's not a "rockist" perspective. That's what audiences have come to expect from live music since cavemen started banging bones together. If the greatest skills a DJ performs during a live set are all behind the curtain, it's easy to see why so many just get lazy and ditch it all together in favor of bombarding the audience with bright lights.
    you conflate mixing and beat matching (as evidenced by the following ",whatever") These are two entirely different concepts.
    You could be adept a mixing tracks (or pieces of tracks) without a shred of talent at beat matching. Conversely, you could be very skilled at beat matching, but have not a fucking clue what it means to properly mix music.

The former is more important, even though the latter is what most people who have never attempted any of this will tend to believe is what DJing is supposed to be about. That's why the laptop/vinyl/CDJ argument is a worthless non-starter. It's ironic that nobody but DJ's understand the mechanics of it, yet it's others who try to expound on the subject.

That said, folks who actually mechanically beat match tend to be better at mixing because they've generally invested a lot more into into the process by buying the vinyl or even burning the CDs. Meanwhile many young laptop DJs tend to only care about the next drop and will let their DJ or DAW software slow cross-fade one "sick drop" into the next while they twiddle their bent-wrist in the air and curl their upper lip making an orgasm face.

Nobody who's actually mixing music (even if they've done it beforehand) will ever act like that.

If you can't do an acoustic version it's not really music.

you're funny.

I'm sorry, bunz, I wasn't trying to be a douche or pick a fight. Just trying to make the point that our defined genre constructs aren't as distinct as we would like them to be. I'm sorry for being a twat.

Apologies are not necessary, unless I ask . . . Mister.

Your criticism was totally legit.

*high-five*

I hope Skrillex has learned something from reading these last few pages

I saw someone dissing pendulum for killing drum and bass. When it's the whole band, that's taking it to a new level. Improvised electronic music is amazing. Turntablism and mixing live is amazing. People that can record raw sounds, make and design their own digiracks and synths, record and produce starting from scratch and then press vinyl, mix that vinyl live.

That's how mother fuckers used to do it. Computers have allowed so much advancement and Djs/producers had the ability to take music and live performance to another level. Instead people have become lazy and the computers have allowed them to take short cuts. Quality, respect, talent and interest are dwindling. As generations grow up, these kids don't know the difference. They could care less. They are desensitized from all the other multimedia stimulation. These clits have been rubbed raw and it takes an unrefined annoying buzzsaw of a track to jump start their little retard brains.

This is when you start claiming EDM is dead and start supporting real artists that are more concerned with the fundementals and quality.
    Last edited by Goatchella; 12-02-2011 at 07:18 AM.
    You wanna fook on me?!

you conflate mixing and beat matching (as evidenced by the following ",whatever") These are two entirely different concepts.
    You could be adept a mixing tracks (or pieces of tracks) without a shred of talent at beat matching. Conversely, you could be very skilled at beat matching, but have not a fucking clue what it means to properly mix music.

The former is more important, even though the latter is what most people who have never attempted any of this will tend to believe is what DJing is supposed to be about. That's why the laptop/vinyl/CDJ argument is a worthless non-starter. It's ironic that nobody but DJ's understand the mechanics of it, yet it's others who try to expound on the subject.

That said, folks who actually mechanically beat match tend to be better at mixing because they've generally invested a lot more into into the process by buying the vinyl or even burning the CDs. Meanwhile many young laptop DJs tend to only care about the next drop and will let their DJ or DAW software slow cross-fade one "sick drop" into the next while they twiddle their bent-wrist in the air and curl their upper lip making an orgasm face.

Nobody who's actually mixing music (even if they've done it beforehand) will ever act like that.
    Well said.

I find it quite funny how everyone thinks I'm Skrillex xD

If I was Skrillex, I wouldn't be here talking to a lot of losers that attempt to flame someone who was trying to explain - in the nicest possible way - that everyone has different musical tastes, and that some like him and some hate him, but there really isn't a need for the nasty comments. Skrillex makes a living producing music that people obviously have a liking for - leave him to do that, and let people like whatever music they like.

I'm not one of those typical "wtf bro, you hate skrillex!!!1 gtfo" type of guys (in response to a picture posted earlier to my post in reply). I'm just telling you that it's a bit childish to create and continue a 58-page thread with so much hate for someone who has a huge fan base, and does what he does best, and produces beats, synths and basslines that people like. And I can see that some people are very serious about this thread; it seems the same people reply to this thread with very similar comments. Get a life.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

Skrillex, stop trying so hard.
    July 29 - Boris
    August 1 - Black Label Society
    August 14 - Nine Inch Nails/Soundgarden/DEP
    August 27 - Röyksopp & Robyn
    August 30 - Sleep
    August 31 - Sleep
    September 5 - Seth Troxler
    September 14 - Lily Allen
    September 16 - Earth
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 12 - Austin City Limits: Day 3
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Metal Festival
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 23 - Caribou

Wtf bro, you hate haters? Gtfo
    You wanna fook on me?!

Quote Originally Posted by Goatchella View Post
    Quality, respect, talent and interest are dwindling. As generations grow up, these kids don't know the difference. They could care less. They are desensitized from all the other multimedia stimulation.
    Sorry but when I read anything like this I instantly tune out. "Kids these days" pining for an era when everything was quality and newjacks hadn't ruined a great thing (i.e. never) is a copout that does nothing to advance anything, it's like the laziest criticism of art, music, culture, anything you can possibly offer.

There's an insane amount of quality dance music coming out, the existence of Skrillex has zero to do with it.

Your young. So I expect that reaction from you. Talent is respected where present.

Think about how much real music was created and how much attention was devoted by a Dj or producer before cell phones, Facebook, laptops, email.

Mad work was put in. From scratch. I respect that. The founders. Mad respect. It just isn't the same. You will never understand that. In ten years you will look around and notice the changes. Not all of them good
    Last edited by Goatchella; 12-02-2011 at 09:20 AM.
    You wanna fook on me?!

Sorry, but "the kids are ruining a great thing" has literally never been a valid complaint, and you don't get to wave your hands and say "you'll appreciate this when you're older" as if that holds any weight either.

Quote Originally Posted by Fikey View Post
    I find it quite funny how everyone thinks I'm Skrillex xD

If I was Skrillex, I wouldn't be here talking to a lot of losers that attempt to flame someone who was trying to explain - in the nicest possible way - that everyone has different musical tastes, and that some like him and some hate him, but there really isn't a need for the nasty comments. Skrillex makes a living producing music that people obviously have a liking for - leave him to do that, and let people like whatever music they like.

I'm not one of those typical "wtf bro, you hate skrillex!!!1 gtfo" type of guys (in response to a picture posted earlier to my post in reply). I'm just telling you that it's a bit childish to create and continue a 58-page thread with so much hate for someone who has a huge fan base, and does what he does best, and produces beats, synths and basslines that people like. And I can see that some people are very serious about this thread; it seems the same people reply to this thread with very similar comments. Get a life.

omg thank you for your efforts in explaining to us the concept of people having different musical tastes.

Let's extend your reasoning further and accept that everything everywhere appeals to at least some folks all the time, and therefore any and all criticism of all things is unnecessary regardless of who hears it.

How about this? This thread is something many of us are amused by. So by your own logic, who the fuck are you to criticize it?

You say "leave him to do that, and let people like whatever music they like." mmmkay, who's fucking stopping him or preventing people from liking him?

And you are requesting that we get a life?

Or forget all of that and just just get fucked, Skrilldo.