Page 10 of 88 FirstFirst ... 56789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: I never realized how horrible Skrillex was until now

Default Re: I never realized how horrible Skrillex was until now

Hey zzero - I appreciate good music. Even if it's something I don't typically listen to. I have a hard time appreciating nonsense that's trying to pass as music. I have posted on this board for the same amount of time you've been listening to dubstep and can tell you that your argument has been stated time and time again. Sure many of us may sound like pretentious assholes but that's the beauty of this place. With so much amazing music produced, released, introduced to us daily it's really hard to take shit like this seriously let alone be happy something like this is at Coachella. With that said- you seem to appreciate music a great deal and I think you should stick around and contribute your thoughts more. Maybe not so much in this manner - because honestly this thread is a joke but try the music lounge.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Quote Originally Posted by ZZERO View Post
    Try to think positively, you'll have more fun that way.
    Isn't the Point of Coachella to have fun and APPRECIATE music?
    I agree. My 4 year old niece makes "music" with pots, pans and wooden spoons. I'm hoping she's going to open for Subfocus in the Sahara next year.

My opinion - time will tell. If Skrillex really has skills (which IMO he doesn't), his shit will endure. Otherwise he'll come and go and he'll be flipping burgers at In-N-Out in short order. Also in my opinion, he's not a dubstep artist, and either he or his promoters are riding the "Dubstep is the 'in' genre so let's call it that" train.

The best way I can describe my distaste for Skrillex is just the lack of "depth" or "soul" in his music. It doesn't move me, plain and simple. Sometimes less is more.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

I've been listening to Dustep for a few years now(4ish). Benga,Burial, Chase and Status, coki, cookie monsta,n-type,rusko(pre 2007), Stenchman,Suspicious stench, nero, 6blocc, bar 9(love).
    I'm not totally new to Dubstep, but i'm also not totally new to appreciating other people creativity.

If Your going to talk shit on his mixing ability you need to realize this. Skrillex is a PRODUCER. He makes music. When people hear it, it creates a demand for him. This puts him at live show, having not spent years learning to mix, but rather producing. I see it in the EDM scene all the time.
    There is a demand for talent, but its producers up there mixing, so you cannot expect them to become masters of the art in a year or less.
    This is not always the case, but it does happen and sometime happens for big names.

Just cause you don't like something doesn't make it bad.Things Change, Genres change, Sounds change, style change.
    Are you not willing to accept change?
    If this is the case then just listen to the same playlist for the rest of your life.
    Just don't complain about it.

Try to think positively, you'll have more fun that way.
    Isn't the Point of Coachella to have fun and APPRECIATE music?
    this is hilarious.
    yes there is the classic inverse relationship between production talent and mixing ability (however it's not a universal truth by far)

But it seems from what I"ve seen he doesn't make much of an attempt at all. I don't begrudge laptop DJs letting their DAW beatmatch for them, but that should free them up to do a little creative actual mixing. draw out some damn loops and do some simple mixing tricks at the very least. He MADE a lot of music he's playing so that should be a no brainer. Now that's not to say this kid doesn't do that at all ever. It's just that there doesn't seem to be much evidence of effort. Seems like a lot of times he just crashes two songs together (which, to be far, is possibly the ONLY way to mix brostep sometimes)

Your "producers shouldn't be blamed for being bad at mixing" is like saying a band full of extremely talented songwriters shouldn't be blamed for not being able to play live together. ridiculous.

and the rest of your post is just meta-pretensious babble not worth addressing.

Hahaha - the super awkward guy to the left with his arms crossed at 1:59 in the OP's video.

Priceless.

Quote Originally Posted by kayeM View Post
    they are good in small doses. I like their tracks mixed into other dj's sets.. but 2 hours of robot is a little excessive.. if you can listen to the entire shambala sets and not get a headache i applaud your tenacity
    This is exactly how I feel. When someone drops a brostepping bomb in the middle of an otherwise diverse set, it actually hits really hard and sounds good. If you play 45mins-1hour of this, it gets boring really fast.

Someone should dose Skrillex and force him to listen to his premixed set from beginning to end.

I think i'm gonna like posting here.......

And, BTW, I wouldn't consider Skrillex Dubstep in the traditional sense. Dubstep Influenced, But not dubstep. Dance music, yes.

Dance music, yes.
    I mean, sure i bet there's some people out there who can dance to that.

It sucks that when people hear the word "Dubstep" the first thing people think of (or even KNOW) are Skrillex, Excision, Datsik, etc. It'd be nice if names like Mala, Loefah, Cyrus, Tunnidge, Quest, Kromestar, Skream, Pinch, Distance etc got mentioned. I won't lie, I do enjoy the occasional filth from a few artists, but it is becoming WAY too generic.

At least there's people on this forum that appreciate the 'deep' side of the genre instead of just brostep/robostep.

Also, please do not use DUB as a short hand of DUBSTEP. They are COMPLETELY different genres. Sorry, it just bothers me.

Ninja Edit: Skrillex sucks btw.

EDIT #2 because i fail at typing
    Last edited by Psyche; 01-26-2011 at 07:28 PM.

skrilly skrill's such a lamestreamer y'all
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

Quote Originally Posted by Psyche View Post
    It sucks that when people hear the word "Dubstep" the first thing people think of (or even KNOW) are Skrillex, Excision, Datsik, etc. It'd be nice if names like Mala, Loefah, Cyrus, Tunnidge, Quest, Kromestar, Skream, Pinch, Distance etc got mentioned. I won't lie, I do enjoy the occasional filth from a few artists, but it is becoming WAY too generic.

At least there's people on this forum that appreciate the 'deep' side of the genre instead of just brostep/robostep.

Also, please do not use DUB as a short hand of DUBSTEP. They are COMPLETELY different genres. Sorry, it just bothers me.

Ninja Edit: Skrilles sucks btw.
    Agree 100%.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I know the difference between Brostep and Dubstep. I have to admit, Brostep shows are fun...... went to the Beatdown on Christmas(but I would consider 6blocc Dubstep, god damn his set was hard). All in all, had a fun night, LOL.....

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

I know the difference between Brostep and Dubstep. I have to admit, Brostep shows are fun...... went to the Beatdown on Christmas(but I would consider 6blocc Dubstep, god damn his set was hard). All in all, had a fun night, LOL.....
    September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

Funny clip Bro. For real though, Willy was pissed........

He has skill IN HIS NAME, you morons. Case closed.

9/12: Shifted @ Mercer
    9/24 - 28: Decibel Festival
    10/3-5: Hardly Strictly Bluegrass Festival
    10/4: Ought @ BoH
    10/5: The War on Drugs, Cass McCombs @ The Fillmore
    10/18-19: Treasure Island Music Festival

so many skrillex fanboys in colorado now. FUCK THAT NOISE.
    the music is what its all about, you love it just like i love it.

I don't know that this thread is all in agreement that Skrillex's music sucks, just that his live douchebaggery is unquestioned.

In the YouTube clips, I enjoyed the music, even though I wanted Skrillex himself to explode into a fiery mass of particulates... especially after the interview. But the music itself - it's subjective. I'd rather hear that than endlessly repetitive house or trance. To each their own.

Coachella Junkie nathanfairchild's Avatar

September 16 - Earth
    September 18 - DJ Shadow & Cut Chemist
    September 20 - Skeletonwitch
    September 21 - Nails
    September 23 - Andy Stott
    October 2 - Beck
    October 3-5 - Austin City Limits
    October 10 - Bonobo
    October 20 - Mastodon
    October 23 - 26 - Housecore Horror Festival
    October 29 - The Melvins
    November 7-9 - Fun Fun Fun Fest
    November 18 - Slayer

This dude needs more criticism.

I'm going to book the 4 year old on my street to play a toy cell phone that makes different noises if you press different buttons.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    ugh, this happened in my state?
    haha right.....in the land of Z-trip treads this mess of hurtful sound. Sad that promoters in AZ don't really reach out to artists that are pushing boundaries instead of overstepping them. although I know that datsik is coming soon to a party in phx i believe
    fuck dub step

Quote Originally Posted by djkenny View Post
    Sad that promoters in AZ don't really reach out to artists that are pushing boundaries instead of overstepping them.
    Please elaborate.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by jackstraw94086 View Post
    this is hilarious.
    yes there is the classic inverse relationship between production talent and mixing ability (however it's not a universal truth by far)

But it seems from what I"ve seen he doesn't make much of an attempt at all. I don't begrudge laptop DJs letting their DAW beatmatch for them, but that should free them up to do a little creative actual mixing. draw out some damn loops and do some simple mixing tricks at the very least. He MADE a lot of music he's playing so that should be a no brainer. Now that's not to say this kid doesn't do that at all ever. It's just that there doesn't seem to be much evidence of effort. Seems like a lot of times he just crashes two songs together (which, to be far, is possibly the ONLY way to mix brostep sometimes)
    BAZAAM. Agree 100%. The motherfucker uses Ableton to create his tracks, you think he would know how to use it to mix them. If I could tolerate listening to the two songs he mixes in the video, without wanting to scrub up my dick with a steel bristle brush and then dip it into lemon juice, then I would confidently bet you money that I could mix those tracks better than he could in the video. He has SOOOOOO much fucking creative freedom, doesn't even need to beat match, and he still can't mix for shit. Pathetic. It's scary that this guy has a record deal.

Quote Originally Posted by moomoo View Post
    Yep. The Holocaust pales in comparison to him and his productions. A landmark tragedy in EDM history.
    Too soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Karilo13 View Post

He recently canceled a show cuz his computer wouldn't turn on? Seriously? He plays music from his iTunes. I have a computer with iTunes, maybe I can play next years Coachella. *daydream*
    coming from an ex drug addict in recovery and artist...thats the kinda shit I used to say and do when I was using and cared more for my D.O.C. then playing and performing. im gonna go out on a limb here and say he possibly has a problem? No Dj/producer would ever back down from a show because their computer didn't start. If that happened at least I would have tracks on a flash drive so I could use someone elses traktor or serrato. I would also bring CD's with me with my tracks on them so if the above was not possible I could play cd's and if that wasn't possible and (I have seen true professionals do this) I would play someone else cd's records/tracks at the party who plays the same genre. If you back out cause your laptop will not start your a disgrace to the scene and should just hawk your gear for that 1/4 oz of black you have been dreaming of anyways OD and do us all a favor.

what a douche canoe
    fuck dub step

Coachella Junkie jackstraw94086's Avatar

coming from an ex drug addict in recovery and artist...thats the kinda shit I used to say and do when I was using and cared more for my D.O.C. then playing and performing. im gonna go out on a limb here and say he possibly has a problem? No Dj/producer would ever back down from a show because their computer didn't start. If that happened at least I would have tracks on a flash drive so I could use someone elses traktor or serrato. I would also bring CD's with me with my tracks on them so if the above was not possible I could play cd's and if that wasn't possible and (I have seen true professionals do this) I would play someone else cd's records/tracks at the party who plays the same genre. If you back out cause your laptop will not start your a disgrace to the scene and should just hawk your gear for that 1/4 oz of black you have been dreaming of anyways OD and do us all a favor.

what a douche canoe

I also suspect there's more to the story than his laptop crapping out. The backup CDs (and backup copies of those) are a complete no brainer. Some thing was shorted in his brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    Please elaborate.
    uhh even though im guilty of this. I think promoters should stop booking any happy hardcore dj's. whens the last time there was any decent turntablist at a party in az? Dont book Club dj's from scottsdale to play at the party....well if they started off playing at raves and now play at clubs thats okay but if they were bred in the club I think they should stay there. where is CL mcspadden Ineria the AZ scene is so fickle and full of teenie ravers now and I havent been fully in charge of throwing a rave since 05 and after doing it for 5 years I dont want to go back but I'm a bit jaded so take what you will... I have been in front of this computer for 9 hours and its time for me to go home cause i prob dont make much sense
    fuck dub step

i just saw the you tube video. hes pretty good

uhh even though im guilty of this. I think promoters should stop booking any happy hardcore dj's. whens the last time there was any decent turntablist at a party in az? Dont book Club dj's from scottsdale to play at the party....well if they started off playing at raves and now play at clubs thats okay but if they were bred in the club I think they should stay there. where is CL mcspadden Ineria the AZ scene is so fickle and full of teenie ravers now and I havent been fully in charge of throwing a rave since 05 and after doing it for 5 years I dont want to go back but I'm a bit jaded so take what you will... I have been in front of this computer for 9 hours and its time for me to go home cause i prob dont make much sense
    Afrika Bambaata is playing the Rialto tonight. He's not technically a "turntablist" but he has greatly influenced the genre.

I'm not really familiar with the rave scene in Arizona, but Tucson and Phx has been getting decent electronic acts in the past few years.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater
    Tycho - 9/20 - Emo's
    Bonobo (DJ set) - 10/10 - The Mohawk
    Screaming Females - 10/23 - Red 7
    Caribou & Jessy Lanza - 11/23 - The Mohawk

Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    He has skill IN HIS NAME, you morons. Case closed.
    *cackle* I concur w/ clever Cara