Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Jimmy ****ing Eat World

Default Re: Jimmy ****ing Eat World

Ill try to catch these guys if its possible....no biggie though. Enjoyed their opening set for Green Day back in 05
    Upcoming Shows:
    The Knife: 4/9 @ Fox Theater
    Coachella: 4/11-13 @ Empire Polo Fields

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    I'm not a huge fan of invented, but it isn't terrible....and I don't know what they will do at coachella, but when I saw them in October they only played a few songs off the new album.
    Yeah, I managed to catch them at the Wiltern. The crowd was the worst I'd ever seen for a JEW show. Remind me to never wait to purchase tickets and get stuck in the Mezzanine again. But they played about 5 songs off Invented. Some I really dig like Evidence, Stop, Cut, and the title track is awesome.

The way I see it, it's their weakest record yet. I for one think they're more poppy sound that took off on CTL was great, but I think they went a bit too far on this one. I'm not one to judge they're choice or your interest, so I'll just say, it's my least favorite.

The set in October was the longest I'd seen. Nearly 2 hours. Badass.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by HedNoiZe801 View Post
    I'm not a big fan of their studio albums but I have heard story after story about their live performances. I must see them in a Coachella setting. They will blow our minds!
    You will not be disappointed. They rock tasty abs washer board style.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

Quote Originally Posted by TheDeadBird View Post
    Interpols worst album is still better then JEW's best album.
    Made me laugh out loud. I'm pretty sure you've never listened to Clarity and Our Love to Admire back to back. I know their music is miles different and appeals to different audiences, but can't you see that Interpol is basically dead creatively? They haven't made meaningful music since Antics.

As for Invented, it grows on me every time I listen to it... At this point by no means a disappointing JEW album, but a great addition to 2010 music. The female backing vocals are beautiful. My fav track is "Invented" (On the Interpol album, prob "Try it On").

Jimmy Eat World has been one of my favorite bands of the past decade, for sure. I've always said Clarity was my favorite album, period. Of anything ever made that I have heard. I've maintained that throughout the years but now I think I have to downgrade it to more that it was lifechanging for me, in that it changed the way I listen to music. They single-handedly opened the door for me to this entire world of amazing music I listen to every day now. Before Clarity, I didn't know anything except top 40 shit. It hit me on such a deep level that I'll always be indebted to them. In 2002 I got to see them for the first time, and met them all and had them sign my Clarity CD, and I felt complete after that. Two years ago, I got to see them on their Clarity tour and it was fantastic. I've seen them probably around ten times now and they ABSOLUTELY deliver every single time.

Clarity, Bleed American, and Futures are fantastic. Chase This Light was decent, but I haven't even listened to Invented. I actually forgot they put out a new album. Not so sure I want to check it out, based on this thread.

They are one of the best pop-rock bands over the past 20 years for sure. I can't guarantee I'll make their set since I've seen them so many times before, so it'll depend on who they're up against, but I also have to add - you'd be surprised how many Goldenvoice employees LOVE Jimmy Eat World. It's pretty awesome. No surprise at all that they're on the lineup.

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

It makes me really happy that there are so many positive posts about Jimmy Eat World. When I saw their name on the poster I expected a lot of hate. I'm really glad that people can at least respect what Jimmy Eat World is and what they have done
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

As another Arizona boy I definitely have a soft spot for Jimmy Eat World. The timing was just perfect for me, Bleed American came out when I was a senior in high school...that whole album was beloved by me and every single one of my friends. Growing up in AZ, it was hard not to be a fan. They wrote really catchy songs, are great, friendly guys and go out of their way to support the local scene to the max.

"Ninth and Ash on a Tuesday Night"....anyone who spent time living in Tempe has gotta love it.

The first "festival" experience I ever had was Edgefest right around when the Bleed American material came out....obviously in retrospect that festival was a joke when compared to Coachella, but seeing Jimmy Eat World's set at that festival made a big impact on me at the time. They were great.

Admittedly, I can see why most Coachella-goers would brush them off at first listen....I would argue though that they have more depth than your average power-pop/rock band.

I'd like to check them out but with all the other acts going on Sunday, I'm sure there's gonna be some higher priority act somewhere. Otherwise I'll try to catch a few songs. I'm thinking midday Main stage act or Outdoor at sunset.
    Random list of shows I'll never remember to edit

Quote Originally Posted by tessalasset View Post
    Jimmy Eat World has been one of my favorite bands of the past decade, for sure. I've always said Clarity was my favorite album, period. Of anything ever made that I have heard. I've maintained that throughout the years but now I think I have to downgrade it to more that it was lifechanging for me, in that it changed the way I listen to music. They single-handedly opened the door for me to this entire world of amazing music I listen to every day now. Before Clarity, I didn't know anything except top 40 shit. It hit me on such a deep level that I'll always be indebted to them. In 2002 I got to see them for the first time, and met them all and had them sign my Clarity CD, and I felt complete after that. Two years ago, I got to see them on their Clarity tour and it was fantastic. I've seen them probably around ten times now and they ABSOLUTELY deliver every single time.

Clarity, Bleed American, and Futures are fantastic. Chase This Light was decent, but I haven't even listened to Invented. I actually forgot they put out a new album. Not so sure I want to check it out, based on this thread.

They are one of the best pop-rock bands over the past 20 years for sure. I can't guarantee I'll make their set since I've seen them so many times before, so it'll depend on who they're up against, but I also have to add - you'd be surprised how many Goldenvoice employees LOVE Jimmy Eat World. It's pretty awesome. No surprise at all that they're on the lineup.
    Personally, Tessa, I think Invented is better than Chase This Light. If that means anything to you. Perhaps we will have to watch them like the good old days!

I am pretty happy to see them on the lineup. A pleasant surprise.
    For your health

I haven't even listened to their latest stuff so I can't comment on that. But I saw them once when they played for free at my college, and I was actually pleasantly surprised. They are not going to blow minds or do anything earth shattering, and they aren't going to make anybody's favorite sets of the weekend. But they will be high-energy and fun, and worth checking out if there is nothing else you want to see or if you want to wait through them to see the next act. Poppy? Guilty pleasure? Sure. But they aren't going to bomb. Plus Bleed American was my favorite CD for a month back in freshman year of high school, so I'm sure it would be a nice little nostalgia thing if I have nothing else better to see.

oh man i used to love these guys when i was really young. I'm definitley going to go just to satisfy myself for not seeing them like 7 years ago. I haven't listened to any of their releases since Futures but im down to rock out to some songs I used to listen to all the time

Quote Originally Posted by LickTheLizzard View Post
    It makes me really happy that there are so many positive posts about Jimmy Eat World. When I saw their name on the poster I expected a lot of hate. I'm really glad that people can at least respect what Jimmy Eat World is and what they have done
    Lzzard licker check PM's

In my opinion Invented is better than Chase This Light and Futures. Coffee and Cigarettes is a great song. Spent New Year's Eve with JEW, can't wait to see them at Coachella. Midday main sounds about right to me.

does anyone know what old material they regularly play? post-bleed american they're absolute shit, but i must admit hearing 'for me this is heaven' on the outdoor could be amazing.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    To be fair, the chromosomal differential between candy raver kids and drunken NASCAR cowboy-types are virtually indectable.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    mmblack = Paul Tollett

When I saw them in October they played material from every album (including clarity), but this was in AZ (in their hometown) on Halloween, and they played a 2 hr set. So i'm not sure what they will do with a 55 min set at Coachella.
    This ain't no middle of the mall shit.

Quote Originally Posted by theklein25 View Post
    For Linkin Park this is kind of embarrassing, but this song would be great live if you just wanna have fun and grind on a girl.
    Diarrhea Planet 2015

just gonna have to wait for set times i guess to see if i can pull this off.
    Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    To be fair, the chromosomal differential between candy raver kids and drunken NASCAR cowboy-types are virtually indectable.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    mmblack = Paul Tollett

Do you like Jimmy Eat World? I've been a big Jimmy Eat World fan ever since the release of their 1996 album, Static Prevails. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. I think Sweetness was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "The Middle". In this song, the band addresses the problems of abusive political authority. It is the most moving pop song of the 1990s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. This is "Sweetness", a song so catchy that most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Hey OP!

Quote Originally Posted by SlowMotionApocalypse View Post
    Youth Gone Wild, 18 And Life, I Remember You, these songs are the soundtrack of a generation and would make for a great festival experience for thousands of people.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    This year's viral video sensation will be ErikFlyingV's portapotty getting tipped over while he's in it.

lol, jew

haha, i have no idea what jimmy eat world is doing at coachella....but whatever they will likely have the worst slot of all time...

Quote Originally Posted by RobertGoulet View Post
    Jimmy eat world is awesome, reminds me of middle school and my younger days.
    Comments like this help me realize just how f'in old I really am.

I'm all "Duran Duran is awesome, reminds me of middle school and my younger days." Groan.

Quote Originally Posted by luckyface View Post
    Personally, Tessa, I think Invented is better than Chase This Light. If that means anything to you. Perhaps we will have to watch them like the good old days!
    We just might!

Quote Originally Posted by Ardentbiscuit View Post
    This is the equivalent of musical water boarding.

Quote Originally Posted by mmblack View Post
    does anyone know what old material they regularly play? post-bleed american they're absolute shit, but i must admit hearing 'for me this is heaven' on the outdoor could be amazing.
    They normally play tunes from Clarity (Lucky Denver Mint, Your New Aesthetic, For Me This is Heaven, Goodbye Sky Harbor) and sometimes one off Static Prevails (usually Thinking That's All or Claire).

I'm also glad to see so much Coachella love for these guys. I thought they would be nothing but a joke to everyone, but it seems we've got some JEW lovers onboard. I still think Invented is a disappointment (and that's really hard for me to admit), but I know they still rock live and am looking forward to their set.

I have never heard a song from Static Prevails the 3 times I have seen them. Fail.

Quote Originally Posted by ErikFlyingV View Post
    Do you like Jimmy Eat World? I've been a big Jimmy Eat World fan ever since the release of their 1996 album, Static Prevails. Before that, I really didn't understand any of their work. Too artsy, too intellectual. I think Sweetness was the group's undisputed masterpiece. It's an epic meditation on intangibility. At the same time, it deepens and enriches the meaning of the preceding three albums. Listen to the brilliant ensemble playing. You can practically hear every nuance of every instrument. In terms of lyrical craftsmanship, the sheer songwriting, this album hits a new peak of professionalism. Take the lyrics to "The Middle". In this song, the band addresses the problems of abusive political authority. It is the most moving pop song of the 1990s, about monogamy and commitment. The song is extremely uplifting. Their lyrics are as positive and affirmative as anything I've heard in rock. This is "Sweetness", a song so catchy that most people probably don't listen to the lyrics. But they should, because it's not just about the pleasures of conformity, and the importance of trends, it's also a personal statement about the band itself.

Hey OP!

I'm in tears
    12/6: Japandroids/DIIV
    1/10: Mister Lies/Matthewdavid

go to bamboozle

if I crowd surf or mosh to these guys, will I get thrown out of 'chella?

Quote Originally Posted by LunaVC View Post
    if I crowd surf or mosh to these guys, will I get thrown out of 'chella?
    go to bamboozle

Quote Originally Posted by paulb View Post
    Ill try to catch these guys if its possible....no biggie though. Enjoyed their opening set for Green Day back in 05

I haven't listened to them since Futures, but the fact is, they've been doing this for almost 20 years and they've always been solid. They should have been there a long time ago. If you don't like them, fine, but it's silly to write them off.
    The Tinychat password is coache11a

Quote Originally Posted by Shiloka View Post
    Share the art bus to enhance the festival... can be used as stage for band ...
    I can also come early and help set up ...
    How can you say no to this offer, Goldenvoice?

This thread is doing Good Work.

Too many hipster ninnies are going to sleep on JEW just because they've had some hit radio success. It is their loss. Clarity is better than any grokdamned chillwave / lofi / fuzzcore / whatever crap Pitchfork has been pushing the last ten years.
    Just Say No to eurotrash nonsense. Rock n' roll will set you free.