Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Do people not understand 75,000 people

MacDizzle

Default Do people not understand 75,000 people

is almost like a little city.

quit complaining about not being able to get out of traffic or this or that was bad, you didn't have to come.

sorry that there are not 500 lanes of traffic, to me it sounds like this is all your first coachella or event if anything. did you not know there was going to be traffic or something?

theres going to be alot of waiting get use to it, i waited and i still saw everything i wanted to and partied all i wanted to and did everything i wanted to do, theres no complains.

except for mgmt not playing kids....booo...

Gummi bear sultan miscorrections's Avatar

Default Re: Do people not understand 75,000 people

Plenty of us bought tickets well in advance of the new numbers announcement.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    Has anyone gone on a date with a sandwich recently? What base did you get to? Ham?

Coachella Junkie frozen pilgrim's Avatar

go die.

Quote Originally Posted by MacDizzle View Post

quit complaining about not being able to get out of traffic or this or that was bad, you didn't have to come.

sorry that there are not 500 lanes of traffic, to me it sounds like this is all your first coachella or event if anything. did you not know there was going to be traffic or something?

theres going to be alot of waiting get use to it, i waited and i still saw everything i wanted to and partied all i wanted to and did everything i wanted to do, theres no complains.

This was your first Coachella, wasn't it?
    womp womp womp womp womp womp womp womp

I've been to every single Coachella since 1999 and it has never been like this...don't pretend it has
    '99-'11...

eat a dick
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

no. wrong. sorry.

this year was a clusterfuck of people. i'm really looking at offsite or non-camping options for next year because i'm going to need a small slice of civilization to hold onto after dealing with a crowd of that size.
    Quote Originally Posted by thewindowliquor View Post
    No. I push you down. Always.

Talking Re: Do people not understand 75,000 people

Quote Originally Posted by Vic Viper View Post
    no. wrong. sorry.

this year was a clusterfuck of people. i'm really looking at offsite or non-camping options for next year because i'm going to need a small slice of civilization to hold onto after dealing with a crowd of that size.
    Staying off-site was nice refuge indeed. We were lucky enough to have a friend with a super cool grandma willing to put us up at her house in Trilogy golf community, La Quinta (/gloat). But I still felt a pang of longing/envy when we'd walk out past the campground.

I don't have a reference point since this was my first Coachella, but it was still 3 of the best days of my life. Mostly cool people, good friends, amazing music, etc. And I kinda got a kick out of observing the human teeming behavior, and enjoyed playing "get somewhere quickly without colliding with or pushing people, regardless of mental state."

To all the whiners: thanks for having me. See ya next year!

It was the same show if not better, but there were just too many people. Anybody who has been a long time lover of Coachella would understand that fact.

More people = more fun

Lurker

Agreed^, even though this year was my first, it definitely encouraged me to save up for a hotel next year, my camping neighbors were loud/annoying/boring as fuck, and it was uncomfortably hot waking up in the tent.

Oh and MGMT sucked fat dick, maybe I'm just a douchebag but when you have to tell your fans to buy your album inbetween songs you fucked up.

If you have been to Coachella before, more people, equals less fun I'm afraid.

Seriously THIS is the crowd fro The XX. The fucking XX! I think it's quite safe to say this year was WAY TOO CROWDED. I've been going since 1999, have to say adding 15k to the capacity was quite possibly the worst mis-step this excellent festival has ever had.

This was stupid, and this is only picturing about half as many people as there was for acts Phoenix, Thom, Passion Pit, Vampire Weekend, etc...
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 04-22-2010 at 09:58 AM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

This was the crowd trying to see Mayer Hawthorne at 3:00 (are you fucking kidding me)

The Glitter Freeze

OP is fucking stupid. Most of these complaints that are said over and over are absolutely legitimate. An extra 15k in the same space that was pushing comfort levels (at times) at 60k is fucking asinine beyond belief. The extra 15k that was planned for, at least, not to include god knows how many people that just waltzed right in.

We all understand 75k and knew it would be a clusterfuck beforehand. We were just unaware of how HUGE of a clusterfuck it was considering there was no expansion at all beyond some dumbass Rose Garden.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Blowjobs are the best when your pubes are moist with tears
    Quote Originally Posted by amyzzz View Post
    I got really good grades in school, but I suck at life.

old school

This festival needs to be capped at 60k. End of story.
    I am neither foxy, nor a lady.

Neil Young - Kanye West - Beck - PJ Harvey - The Knife - Basement Jaxx - Tom Waits - Shpongle (Live) - Flying Lotus (Live) - The Avalanches - Autechre - Eels - Fat Freddy's Drop - Liquid Liquid - OFWGKTA - Freddie Gibbs - Big K.R.I.T. - Phantogram - Christian Scott - Nosaj Thing - Gold Panda - James Blake

For 2011

^^^ Agreed
    G-funk acquired, thank you Coachella

Quote Originally Posted by Theijuiel View Post
    Don't watch Conspiracy Theory while on mushrooms.
    You know a festival is in the process of dying when you start to see sports jerseys there....

I would bet my left testicle that there was more than 75,000 people there per day.

The numbers wouldn't be a problem if they increased space equally-not just increasing the VIP area.

Also, if you have that many people, you have to schedule acts running across every stage. As much as we hate seeing schedules conflict for our favorite artists, it would force us to choose. If you 75K people spread out amongst 6-8 stages, the whole event would be much less cluttered.

Double the area and kick it up to 85k ....
    Have Another Hit Of Colorado Sunshine

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Mathematically, that's retarded.

Quote Originally Posted by flowbee View Post
    More people = more fun
    I agree.

I think 50k is the safe zone.

Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I know it sounds funny since this is a huge desert, but between the 2 polo clubs and their properties, I believe every possible area had been used up, whether it be for parking, camping, or festival grounds. We were fortunate enough to have a resident pass for parking on the other side of the Tamarask trees next to camping, and they had turned 2 private polo fileds into parking lots. I know the property owners and they hadn't done that before. Based upon previous years and issues with traffic,Indio has spent a lot of time improving the roads and flow of traffic in this area, but I think it was based uponthose previous attendance totals. If they're gonna add extra lots for parking and more people, they'll need to do more additional roadwork getting to the lots...or, tell Paul that there just has to be a limit for attendance.

I found myself somewhat embarrassed at first about the traffic clusterfuck, but I also knew that we've spent the last year dealing with the construction and changes that were meant to accomodate this fest...unfortunately, it wasn't enough for that many peeps.

I'm still amazed of the fact that 3 day only passes actually sold out during an economy that sucks, and when it was announced it sold out at 75,000, my first thought was, "Fuck, this is gonna be a damn zoo this year...it was...
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Atop Zardoz, wagging my pickle everywhere

There is no more area. We are hemmed in by palms.

Quote Originally Posted by YouthD View Post
    I think 50k is the safe zone.
    A Safe Zone. When you put it that way and compare it to what actually came to be this year, yeah, safety should become part of the math for next year.

If you recall, just a week or so before the fest we had a pretty good quake here, and people were starting to wonder and worry about another one over the weekend...Thank you, God, for not allowing that to happen or this could have been a really bad expeience for all because of the amount of people in attendance.

I mentioned in the clusterfuck thread that having another entry point over on the Sahara tent side of the fest would have helped. during the peak times, or better yet, the whole time. Had there been some type of disaster or panic inducing occurance this weekend, there would have only been one way out...for 75,000 people? I don't fucking think so. And we all know that had there been an occurance, the security wouldn't have made anyone feel more secure,nor been able to control the riot and panic that would have occurred. Shame on GV for not having a plan B to accomodate the unexpected.
    Its like the Infinite Monkey Theorem, if you put X amount of monkeys in a room with a typewriter and ask them to give you Shakespeare 99% of them will fling their shit at you while the other 1% will masturbate in the corner.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyWonder View Post
    I agree.
    You agree that more people equals more fun?

Please explain.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by mickflyy View Post
    I would bet my left testicle that there was more than 75,000 people there per day.
    more like 85k
    The Glitter Freeze

bulldoze all the surrounding homes and increase the size drastically

joking, locals
    '99-'11...

Delete.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    You agree that more people equals more fun?

Please explain.
    I simply didn't think the crowds were much of a problem and thought more often than not that they enhanced my experience rather than detracted from it. Almost every set I attended was packed with fans having a great time. It would be one thing if it was super packed and no one was into it (like ACL every year) but I got wonderful vibes from these crowds. Traversing the polo fields didn't really seem that much more difficult than any other year and I've never waited in shorter lines for food, water or toilets at Coachella. The biggest negatives were the trash and the lack of art.

Examples: Florence and the Machine was extremely packed but the entire crowd was going ape-shit so I had a blast even though I was squeezed in tight. Hot Chip was insanely crowded but EVERYONE was dancing so it made for a great experience. I just really enjoyed seeing so many people enjoying my favorite event. There were a few assholes here and there but nothing like 07 and I didn't let anyone ruin my good time.