Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How does Lollapalooza compare to Coachella?

Default How does Lollapalooza compare to Coachella?

I may be going to both fests this year so I was wondering how they stack up against each other, regarding the grounds, sets, environments, food and such. I'm not looking for how much better Coachella is than Lollapalooza, just their differances. Last year was my first Coachella, so now I know what Coachella is all about. Just wondering if I should expect the same from Lollapalooza.

Default Re: How does Lollapalooza compare to Coachella?

Quote Originally Posted by TickleMeElmo View Post
    I may be going to both fests this year so I was wondering how they stack up against each other, regarding the grounds, sets, environments, food and such. I'm not looking for how much better Coachella is than Lollapalooza, just their differances. Last year was my first Coachella, so now I know what Coachella is all about. Just wondering if I should expect the same from Lollapalooza.
    No.

I went to both last year.

If you are seriously comparing the 2 - you might be disappointed with Lolla. Here's why:

1. Line Up. More bands does not a better line up make. They tout their "over 180 bands thing", but when its shit, its just that, shit. I'd say I was interested in 60% of artists on the Lolla line-up, where I was 95% into the Coachella line-up. I'm sure even this year with Daft Punk and Pearl Jam, you'll get a few String Cheese Incidents or some shit like that along with it. Coachella is guilty too (Jack's Mannequin) just not as much.

2. Corporate Sponsers. I know both fests have their sponsers, Coachella just does it in a better way. Heiny will supply beer, Virgin the signing tent and store, KROQ FM, DC Shoes, Urb and Spin will host the after parties, etc... Lolla has HUGE corporate sponsers that even name their stages - the AT&T Stage for example. Overall the corporate thing at Lolla is way more in your face. Some people don't mind it, some do, I did. I do know without that, Lolla would charge higher ass ticket prices though.

3. Cost. Once inside the gates, food, water, treats, merch, is all just a tad more expensive at Lolla. The Lolla shirts are ugly as hell anyways. The food is worse at Lolla with less choice and crazy ass lines to get it.

4. Layout. there is no comparision to the scenic beauty of Coachella. The Chicago skyline is nice though, just not as unique as the desert. Plus you will walk much longer to get from one stage to the next at Lolla. The distance between the 2 main stages at Lolla is unbelievable.

5. Sound. You'd think with all the room Lolla has, the sound would be great, not so much. They cram a ton of stages in there and you'll here the occasional spill over. Coachella has this problem too, but the amount of space prohibits much improvement. The one nice thing about Lolla though is they try and stagger performances more, BUT, this means mmany more people per stage. That sucks. I hope Coachella doesn't follow this pattern because all 50-60,000 people at one or two stages makes for over-crowding. Ugh.

6. Crowds. While Coachella can get crowded, Lolla was ridiculous last year. The el was packed so bad you, had to wait on trains at times. The stages were ridiculous, just too many people. You could never get close, not even for the unknown acts.

7. Other. Lolla has a couple things on Coachella in a big way, you can come and go as you please. I understand its different because of the locations and all, but you should be able to come and go, it just makes sense. Also bathrooms were cleaner (more attended to throughout the day) and there seemed to be more of them. Coachella's art set up is MUCH better, Lolla's art is relegated to nowhere land in the festival grounds and didn't have much to look at, Coachella's art have even been performances in their own right, which is way cool. Lolla is defintely more KID FRIENDLY, than Coachella. The weather is less harsh (usually) and htey have a kids stage with acts through the first part of each day that are kid-centric. I do have a kid (infant) I wouldn't be intersted in taking them to a concert a such an early age anyway, so it wasn't for me, (I'd rather wait till they were old enough to enjoy say, Sigur Ros or Radiohead, and not be beating on pots and pans with a Barney wanna-be minus the dino costume. BUT, its a nice feature an older Perry has included for his now older crowd.

That's all I can give you.
    Last edited by C DUB YA; 03-04-2007 at 06:33 PM.
    The Glitter Freeze

Coachella 99-10 Vet, the run has ended in 2011

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    No.

I went to both last year.

If you are seriously comparing the 2 - you might be disappointed with Lolla. Here's why:

1. Line Up. More bands does not a better line up make. They tout their "over 180 bands thing", but when its shit, its just that, shit. I'd say I was interested in 60% of artists on the Lolla line-up, where I was 95% into the Coachella line-up. I'm sure even with Daft Punk, you'll get a few String Cheese Incidents or some shit like that along with it.

2. Corporate Corporate sponsers. I know both fests have their sponsers, Coachella just does it in a better way. Heiny will supply beer, Virgin the signing tent and store, KROQ FM, DC Shoes, Urb and Spin will host the after parties, etc... Lolla has HUGE corporate sponsers that even name their stages - the AT&T Stage for example. Overall the corporate thing at Lolla is way more in your face. Some people don't mind it, some do, I did. I do know without that, Lolla would charge higher ass ticket prices though.

3. Cost. Once inside the gates, food, water, treats, merch, is all just a tad more expensive at Lolla. The Lolla shirts are ugly as hell anyways. The food is worse at Lolla with less choice and crazy ass lines to get it.

4. Layout. there is no comparision to the scenic beauty of Coachella. The Chicago skyline is nice though, just not as unique as the desert. Plus you will walk much longer to get from one stage to the next at Lolla. The distance between the 2 main stages at Lolla is unbelievable.

5. Sound. You'd think with all the room Lolla has, the sound would be great, not so much. They cram a ton of stages in there and you'll here the occasional spill over. Coachella has this problem too, but the amount of space prohibits much improvement. The one nice thing about Lolla though is they try and stagger performances more, BUT, this means mmany more people per stage. That sucks. I hope Coachella doesn't follow this pattern because all 50-60,000 people at one or two stages makes for over-crowding. Ugh.

6. Crowds. While Coachella can get crowded, Lolla was ridiculous last year. The el was packed so bad you, had to wait on trains at times. The stages were ridiculous, just too many people. You could never get close, not even for the unknown acts.

7. Other. Lolla has a couple things on Coachella in a big way, you can come and go as you please. I understand its different because of the locations and all, but you should be able to come and go, it just makes sense. Also bathrooms were cleaner (more attended to throughout the day) and there seemed to be more of them. Coachella's art set up is MUCH better, Lolla's art is relegated to nowhere land in the festival grounds and didn't have much to look at, Coachella's art have even been performances in their own right, which is way cool. Lolla is defintely more KID FRIENDLY, than Coachella. The weather is less harsh (usually) and htey have a kids stage with acts through the first part of each day that are kid-centric. I do have a kid (infant) I wouldn't be intersted in taking them to a concert a such an early age anyway, so it wasn't for me, (I'd rather wait till they were old enough to enjoy say, Sigur Ros or Radiohead, and not be beating on pots and pans with a Barney wanna-be minus the dino costume. BUT, its a nice feature an older Perry has included for his now older crowd.

That's all I can give you.
    Pretty much sums it up. As for me, living in Chicago, I never get that "vibe" that I get at Coachella. maybe because Coachella is a big vacation every year flying out there, renting the house, etc... and I am at Grant Park a few times a year for other events. Although Lolla is spread out more, for some reason Coachella seems more spacious and the Main Stage on the SW side of the grounds is way smaller than the main stage at Coachella.

Damn, hearing all that kinda brings my hopes down, but I guess it's for the better. The reason I ask is originally on my birthday (Aug. 3rd) I was gonna go to Vegas but now it seems like not many people will come with me. Then after noticing that Daft Punk thread, I saw they were playing Lolla on my bday and thought, "Hey, that'd be a great way to spend my bday!". I guess the biggest thing that bothered me that you guys said is the crowds. I'm still trying to figure out if it will be worth the money to go, whether I'll enjoy it or not. I guess the main determining factor will be the lineup, whenever it comes out.

Thanx for the advice, btw.

Banned

Heh. Everyone wants to come to Vegas for their birthdays.

E

one question i have:
    if spring happens next week, then why does the lollapalooza main page ask if anyone is busy in april?

http://www.lollapalooza.com

Lolla is defintely more KID FRIENDLY, than Coachella.
    Does Lolla let kids under a certain age in free? If it's more kid-friendly, and Daft Punk is playing there, I might consider going. My kids LOVE Daft Punk.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Because fucking millenials that's what

coachella > lollapalooza

Quote Originally Posted by ghettojournalist View Post
    one question i have:
    if spring happens next week, then why does the lollapalooza main page ask if anyone is busy in april?

http://www.lollapalooza.com
    is that when tickets go on sale for it? I don't know, maybe just the announcement?
    The Glitter Freeze

i went to both last year as well. the only real differences, that should matter, is the lineup and the cost. lollas lineup shared a lot of bands with coachella, just not the big ones. of course, lolla was way cheaper, and 3 days long last year. as far as the other stuff the other post mentioned, the corporate sponsorship didnt bother me that much. coachella should take the hint so we arent paying close to $300 for fucking tickets. food lines were about equal, and they had just as much of a selection at both fests. lolla is way way more spread out, which i think is great. as far as location, of course a sunny valley with palm trees, mountains, etc is not a lakefront city skyline environment. but you know what... its not that big of a deal if you are there for the music. also, the lolla VIP experience actually sounds worth it, unlike coachella's.

Quote Originally Posted by C DUB YA View Post
    is that when tickets go on sale for it? I don't know, maybe just the announcement?
    three day passes r 150$$ ....what they do is send u something by email and the first so many people that respond get the three day pass for 50$$$

The murder capital where we murder for capital

I beleive those $50 passes were gone in less than one minute last year.

Banned

Thank You
    Your order number ********* has been successfully processed!
    A receipt is being emailed to your email address: ********@yahoo.com.
    A printable receipt is also available for your records.

Thank you for ordering through 2007 Lollapalooza - we truly appreciate your business!
    Get on it if you want those tickets discounted. They're on sale a minute ago.

E

I'm going to buy a bunch and re-sell them once they've sold out for face value.

HAHAHAHAHA PSYCHE LOSERS
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓
    ░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░
    ▓░░░░▓░░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓
    ▓░░░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░░▓░▓
    ▓░░░▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓░░░▓▓░
    ▓▓▓░▓░▓░▓▓▓░▓▓▓░▓░▓

Banned

*high-fives fober

E

I've never been to Lollapalooza but I guess it would be mildly entertaining (about 1 second) being near the fountain from the opening credits of married with Children.

Lolla for an out of towner is NOT cheaper, decent hotels in Chiacgo are not cheap.

The food selectioon is not as good as Coachella.

While they did share some bands, I would not say they had identical line ups, there was a lot more to "skip" at lolla.
    The Glitter Freeze

Banned

One word: hostel

E

no thanks
    The Glitter Freeze

Banned

Maybe that's your problem.

E

Quote Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
    i went to both last year as well. the only real differences, that should matter, is the lineup and the cost. lollas lineup shared a lot of bands with coachella, just not the big ones. of course, lolla was way cheaper, and 3 days long last year. as far as the other stuff the other post mentioned, the corporate sponsorship didnt bother me that much. coachella should take the hint so we arent paying close to $300 for fucking tickets. food lines were about equal, and they had just as much of a selection at both fests. lolla is way way more spread out, which i think is great. as far as location, of course a sunny valley with palm trees, mountains, etc is not a lakefront city skyline environment. but you know what... its not that big of a deal if you are there for the music. also, the lolla VIP experience actually sounds worth it, unlike coachella's.
    i stand by this. and, i actually think lolla may have had more food vendors than coachella. i never say the lineups are identical. hotels in the palm springs area are way fucking more money by the way, too.

coachellas on the verge of becoming the next lollapaloser.

Does Lollapalooza have food vendors with food that's not pizza and hotdogs? I'm not down there much.

And does Radiohead have a chance of playing?

This thread does not seem as passionate as Coachella vs Bonaroo threads.
    Whiskey Sour

2 oz blended whiskey
    Juice of 1/2 lemon
    1/2 tsp powdered sugar
    1 cherry
    1/2 slice lemon

Shake blended whiskey, juice of lemon, and powdered sugar with ice and strain into a whiskey sour glass. Decorate with the half-slice of lemon, top with the cherry, and serve.

I guess it's just cause Coachella and Bonnaroo fans are more competitive with each other than Lollapalooza fans are.
    Last edited by TickleMeElmo; 03-08-2007 at 05:57 PM. Reason: spelling mistake, forgot word

i think bonnaroo and coachella fans are just more passionate about their niche music & festivals. lolla is more your all around biggy corporate sponsor fest guy. I wish I could go to all of them!
    .................................................. ..............
    She added the phrase "meany head" to my profile.
    I hardly think I'm an attention whore.
    I train birds of prey and am I licensed falconer

Quote Originally Posted by Kiefer View Post
    i stand by this. and, i actually think lolla may have had more food vendors than coachella. i never say the lineups are identical. hotels in the palm springs area are way fucking more money by the way, too.
    um I try and stay at the same type of hotel. I am paying $229 in Coachella for the Miramonte, I paid $360 for the Hard Rock in Chicago last year. I booked way in advance for both.
    The Glitter Freeze

Quote Originally Posted by Vericuester View Post
    Does Lollapalooza have food vendors with food that's not pizza and hotdogs? I'm not down there much.

And does Radiohead have a chance of playing?
    In addition to pizza and hot dogs, I remember burgers and chicken sandwiches - but thats about it.
    The Glitter Freeze

in a cage, and other dark, tight quarters

At least you can leave Lolla for an italian beef
    I'm staying with relatives but they don't know it yet.

your mistake was in staying at the hard rock. i dont know much about the miramonte (sp). but yeah, at lolla, they had like a thai food stand, some vegan & organic choices, mexican food, and a bunch more.