Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Lovers of Interpol Convene

Default Re: Lovers of Interpol Convene

i like interpol. seen them twice at coachella. a couple other times too. i really want to like the new album but i just kind of don't. only heard it a few times but it's not working for me. i want to catch them at coachella but friday is kind of packed for me. hopefully i can see them on the field and perhaps the new stuff will sound better to me live.
    2001, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2012, 2013, 2013, 2014, 2014

Their set choice is going to be really interesting. Their 07 set was amazing. I wonder if they'll get more than an hour this time around since they're higher on the bill. And I'm hoping for another Main Stage appearance as well.

BTW, I'd love to see this played at the polo fields...

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    how old are you?

From reading this thread a random Interpol song's chorus popped into my head and I couldn't figure out what it was for the life of me. It took me a half hour, turns out it was "Pace is the Trick."
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

My friend and I also have this really gay "hey girl!" type dance we do during "barricade"

/interpol confession
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Interpol used to be my band. Like, straight up, TotBL was my favorite album at one point.

Then Antics was mostly shit.

Then Our Love to Admire was entirely shit.

Then the eponymous release was the worst album I listened to in 2010.

Add to the fact that Paul's voice is awful live, and I'm having a hard time getting as excited as I should be. I'm just praying at least a third of the songs are from TotBL...

Quote Originally Posted by the choice cat View Post
    Honestly, what could anyone have to say about Interpol? They keep to themselves, they tour RELENTLESSLY, they love their fans and have never said a cross word about anyone. They are third on the bill this year, you can dislike their music but don't come in here and hate for no reason.
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    Interpol used to be my band. Like, straight up, TotBL was my favorite album at one point.

Then Antics was mostly shit.

Then Our Love to Admire was entirely shit.

Then the eponymous release was the worst album I listened to in 2010.

Add to the fact that Paul's voice is awful live, and I'm having a hard time getting as excited as I should be. I'm just praying at least a third of the songs are from TotBL...
    9/26 - William Basinski - Pasadena Arts Council
    9/28 - Bob Mould - Roxy (?)
    10/01 - King Crimson - Orpheum
    10/10 - Thurston Moore/Sebadoh - Echoplex (?)
    10/11 - BADBADNOTGOOD - Echoplex (?)

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    I finally made it through a listen of Sun Kil Moon - Benji and had put it on maybe 4 times til I could finally feel mentally like, "just fuck it just let this guy blabber on" while I'm doing paperwork .
    last.fm, if you care

Twitter, if you dare

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills View Post
    I'm just praying at least a third of the songs are from TotBL...
    Last time I saw them (mid October) they played Untitled, Stella Was a Diver..., Obstacle 1, PDA, NYC and Hands Away. And just for the record, they were great live.

04/12: Jamie XX, Four Tet, AESOP Rock, Local Natives, Grinderman, Lou Reed, Blur, Stone Roses
    04/13: Trash Talk, Theophilus London, Portugal. the Man, The Postal Service
    04/14: Unicorn Kid, DIIV, Smith Westerns, Disclosure, Rodriguez, The Faint, James Blake, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    Don't hate on the guy. At least he said he's going to see them play.

I didn't mean to come off as a hater, I'm as excited for Interpol (for the first time) as almost any other band on the lineup. It just gets me sad to think about how amazing it could have been to see them when I was younger and obsessed with them.

Quote Originally Posted by iliketurtles
    Last time I saw them (mid October) they played Untitled, Stella Was a Diver..., Obstacle 1, PDA, NYC and Hands Away. And just for the record, they were great live.
    I'd be fucking stoked if all of these were played. I wanna hear "The New" really bad too though...

I mean, all due respect, but Interpol are plenty dull, and their live set looks boring as hell. Maybe I just don't get it.

Quote Originally Posted by mistakenstrangers View Post
    I mean, all due respect, but Interpol are plenty dull, and their live set looks boring as hell. Maybe I just don't get it.
    I didn't wanna say this since I haven't seen them live yet, but yes, the countless videos I've seen of them live are horrendously "dull" for lack of a nicer word:

And those are the good songs

You won't know until you've tried it.

I'll tell you one thing though, seeing Interpol at a big festival does not compare to seeing them at an indoor intimate location.

People who call Interpol "dull" live can't possibly enjoy any of their music. Has anyone ever seen Daniel Kessler play? Cause if you did that would be the last word you'd use.
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

"You don't dance Interpol, you suffer Interpol"

04/12: Jamie XX, Four Tet, AESOP Rock, Local Natives, Grinderman, Lou Reed, Blur, Stone Roses
    04/13: Trash Talk, Theophilus London, Portugal. the Man, The Postal Service
    04/14: Unicorn Kid, DIIV, Smith Westerns, Disclosure, Rodriguez, The Faint, James Blake, Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds

I like to think they have this subtle energy in their live performances. If that makes sense. The calmness/high energy they can create is nice to hold in when you hear them play.

And their rhythm is amazing. Check the bass and drum action in this song...

There's just a lot of subtle moments in their music that I just completely love.
    Last edited by Pat24; 01-20-2011 at 01:28 AM.

saw them in late october. they were perfect. daniel's fancy footwork, paul's voice, david the new bass player, etc. everything was legit. tons of totbl songs too. definitely excited to see them again in a different setting.

ill agree on the subtleness of this band. theres lots of it that i love. also, antics equals shit? no way! antics was such a great sophomore album. id say it rivals totbl.
    atencion!

I must also admit, after seeing them play many times, their live show isn't much to see in a visual sense. With the lack of Carlos D on the stage, it's even more apparent, even if he was a total idiot.

That being said, I will never miss them when they come through Denver because they sound amazing and always play great sets. Say what you will about Our Love to Admire, I didn't hate it as much as most, but their first two albums are epic and the 2010 release is decent.

The new record was fucking terrible and made the baby Jesus cry.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.

I just hope they don't conflict with the Chem Bros. that would make me a sad panda.

I really hope they play "Untitled". I love that song. And they didnt play Obstacle 1 and Slow Hands when I saw them this fall. Rest My Chemistry too cause that song live was great.

If they don't play Obstacle 1, I will ostensibly boo until the entire stage is cleared. That much I can guarantee.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i am so worried about conflicts for this, but i really want to make it. i'm seeing them in february though and i saw them in october, so if i have to miss the set, i won't feel too bad. either way, the new and stella on the polo fields would be epic. and i don't use the word epic.

also, i actually liked our love to admire. it's the last one i just can't get into, minus lights. which was fantastic live.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I'm pretty excited for them. I'll be seeing them a week later in Austin and San Antonio, but I know the crowd here will be into it. I haven't seen them live, and Antics was my favorite album in my sophomore year in high school, so I'm pretty damn stoked.

Quote Originally Posted by TallGuyCM View Post
    You would. A friend of mine talked this same logic into me a few years ago when Pearl Jam and Fever Ray were on the same night. He was like "dude, go to Pearl Jam. If you go to Fever Ray you're not even gonna be into the show, you're just going to be wondering what PJ's setlist was the whole time."

And he was totally right. I went to PJ and it was this out of leftfield setlist of songs that I NEVER thought I'd see them play live.
    Yeah but when I saw PJ at the United Center it was the greatest hits soundtrack with little to no surprises. You got lucky my friend. I still have an erection from FVs show last year and who knows if they ever will play again. I don't think you necessarily made a bad decision but God, FV is awesome.
    I've seen things you people wouldn't believe. Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion. I watched moonbeams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate. All those moments will be lost in time... like tears in the rain...

Quote Originally Posted by JamesMills;
    If they don't play Obstacle 1, I will ostensibly boo until the entire stage is cleared. That much I can guarantee.
    How will you know they aren't playing Obstacle 1 until they're set is finished and they've already cleared the stage?
    "It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge"

New record aside. They are pretty incredible live.

Here, here.

For those of us that actually enjoy the new record (which are few and far between), what are your favorite tracks?

I for one would love to finally hear them play Safe Without or The Undoing. I also saw they played Length of Love a couple times this tour. Would love to get that one.

I wouldn't say I'm a fan of Interpol, but I do like some of their music, especially Antics and TOTBL... but I have to say when I saw them live a few weeks ago they were fucking awful. Awful setlist (no Lights, no Obstacle 1), sound was awful and they had no interaction with the crowd. In fact I don't think Paul opened his mouth apart from singing. It was so bland and boring, so I'll be avoiding them like the plague at Coachella... which is ashame, cause I thought they'd be a great live band.

Well that's too bad.

Anyways...