Page 43 of 57 FirstFirst ... 3839404142434445464748 ... LastLast
Results 1,261 to 1,290 of 1699

Thread: And we miss Coachella, much like the deserts miss the rain.

Default Re: And we miss Coachella, much like the deserts miss the rain.

Good to know, person none of us give a shit about.

4/17: The Afghan Whigs @ Slim's
    4/17: Minilogue @ Mighty
    4/21: The Men @ Rickshaw Stop
    4/26: Simian Mobile Disco, Earth @ Pappy and Harriet's
    5/2-5/4: Austin Psych Fest @ Carson Creek Ranch
    5/10: Joey Anderson @ TBA
    5/17: Kishi Bashi @ GAMH
    5/17: Move D b2b Optimo, Jackmaster, J.Phlip @ PW
    5/21: Baths @ The Independent
    5/30: The Decemberists @ The Crystal Ballroom

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    I don't put them into some somewhat-arbitrary box that I've created based on who they collectively appeal to. I put them into MY box (lul).
    I'm putting them in an arbitrary box of who they don't appeal to: me. Which is overstating things, because I like a few of them. But not a single artist on that list makes me go "Fuck yeah, I get to finally see this band." There's a few that are closer to, "Oh cool, they're pretty good, I bet this will be nice."

And of course we'd be having this argument, because you like those kinds of bands more than I do, and I like stuff that's a little more "out there" than you do (not trying to be condescending, but you know what I mean). And those types of bands that have a stronger appeal to you are getting more spots on the lineup at the expense of the type of bands that appeal to me. That's what I mean by balance. Yes there's variety, of course. But there's not as many bands like, say from years past, Liars, Animal Collective, Throbbing Gristle, My Bloody Valentine, Public Image Ltd, Lightning Bolt, etc. I feel like the slightly more abrasive, forward thinking bands with limited appeal are starting to get cut out of the picture in order to make room for more bands that are just y'know "nice." And there's also just a whole lot of repeats and old shoe acts. Booking someone like the Black Lips is so extremely lazy when there's a hundred bands in SF making a similar kind of racket who haven't oversaturated the festival market. I think that's kind of the point too. Oversaturation. We're getting the familiar and the established far more than the new and the untested, and that takes some of the fun out of it.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

And obviously I'm just trying to explain to you WHY some of us feel the lineup is on the underwhelming side instead of prove you wrong for liking it. I don't think you're stupid for liking it, it's good, but to dismiss people as "You're spoiled, you live in a big city, this is the same as every year, shut up whiner" is just as stupid as dismissing someone for liking NPR indie rock-lite.

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

It certainly doesn't help when bands like Lightning Bolt play to 20 people and are followed by a flurry of comments by people who wandered in and out saying "that was the worst music i ever heard!" They were fucking great last year btw.

But just as Coachella is changing its appeal for people, it makes it easier for people to switch gears and go to things like ATP, DEMF, etc that CLEARLY are geared toward a very different audience.
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

The reason Coachella has always pulled me in is for nostalgia acts and British bands. The reason I started going (in 2005) was because of Doves (I'm still hurting), Kasabian, and Stereophonics. After that it was Massive Attack and Depeche Mode. 2007 was one of my favorites with Jarvis Cocker and The Good, The Bad, and the Queen (at the time, I thought it was as close as I would get to Pulp and Blur). 2008 had Spiritualized. 2009 had Paul McCartney, Paul Weller, and The Cure. 2010 was actually sort of a low year for my kind of stuff, even though it had Gorillaz. I still enjoyed that year, but it seemed like a very different experience. Was this is also when clusterfuckchella happened? That made it different, too. 2011 delivered big time with Suede, Elbow, Big Audio Dynamite, and Duran Duran. Last year was definitely one of my favorite years. So anyway, those are all acts that lured me in, and as you can imagine, with acts like Pulp, Noel Gallagher, and Radiohead (who I have never seen, although I will see before Coachella), this year's line-up is another success for me.

I also really like a lot of those buzz bands, too - which more than make the trip to see those specific bands worth it. I definitely like Jeff Magnum. I can hardly think of another album that makes me want to sing along more than In the Aeroplane Over the Sea, hype or no hype.

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    But there's not as many bands like, say from years past, Liars, Animal Collective, Throbbing Gristle, My Bloody Valentine, Public Image Ltd, Lightning Bolt, etc.
    I think Death Grips will deliver something along these lines. Though, yeah, they are a bit lonely.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I'm putting them in an arbitrary box of who they don't appeal to: me.
    And I think this is completely fair. You bring up a ton of valid points, and I understand the disappointment. If HandBanana would just say this then I wouldn't get so argumentative. But coloring it with "tween," "NPR (whatever)," and "3rd-gen alt rock," it just loses me. Like I give a shit what NPR happens to like, or what bands are grouped together merely by some imaginary algorithm that puts them in categories based on flimsy stereotypes of who might listen to them.

And I bring up the "you live in a big city" thing in response to people who are saying that they have chances to see these artists throughout the year. I think overexposure, due to living in a big city, can cloud someone's view of the lineup. It's probably obvious, but still overlooked. I don't mean to be a dick, except when I'm joking with some of the LA folks for complaining that "sometimes it sucks living in LA because there are so many options."

Coachella Junkie Drinkey McDrinkerstein's Avatar

THIS EMBARRASSMENT OF RICHES HAS ME ABSOLUTELY AGHAST
    last.fm
    4/5/14 - Trentemoller - Fonda // 4/9/14 - The Knife - Fox Theater Pomona // 4/22/14 - Dillinger Escape Plane - Glasshouse// 5/23/14 - 5/26/14 Punk Rock Bowling - Las Vegas
    5/28/14 - Elbow - Wiltern // 7/9/14 - Cloud Nothings - Roxy // 8/25/14 - Nine Inch Nails - Hollywood Bowl

Quote Originally Posted by getbetter View Post
    Comments about she left the movie feeling bad and she one of those girls that fuck in the ass to saving her Vagina intercourse for marriage.

like when Paul McCartney finally toured Uganda

Yeah, living in a big city makes it easier to skip fests and living in a smaller city/town that gets skipped a lot makes fests more appealing. I do want to go to Coachella this year, and I want to see a ton of bands that don't come near me or who I don't want to go out of my way and pay a lot of money for their own show, but like I said before, priorities.

Now that we've all reached perfect harmony and agreement, let's step away before the house of cards collapses.

If my assumption is correct that Coachella 2012 sold 2/3 of the gate prior to the line-up drop, maybe 3/4, then that's a strong argument that it's not so much anymore about the Coachella, the music rather COACHELLA, THE EVENT. For better or worse.

GV could have booked Creed, Hannah Montana, and Insane Clown Posse as headliners and we'd still be looking at a sell out. (Ok, so maybe a little hyperbole there.)

As for you serious music connoisseurs out there, (you know who you are) you make some cogent points why you're staying away. I get your points even if I don't feel your pain. This will be my third Coachella and I am still giddy; (see Coachella vs Christmas Morning thread.) Perhaps after the ninth or tenth I'll feel differently.

All I know is that I will get to see 25 to 30 bands in a weekend at one of the most spectacular outdoor venues imaginable with a nearly 100% guarantee of no rain. And I won't have to drive. No way I get to that many shows the rest of the year given work and family commitments. Like many of you, I felt more than a twinge of disappointment on line-up day. But I have been reading about and listening to and digging much of this undercard and I know that when the set times come down, the usual conflicts will arise.

So, barring any unforeseen calamities (stabbing, shooting, kidnapping, gang-rape, insert your favorite) I plan on drinking and dancing and having a dandy time for three days next month. With any luck, I'll get to pre-game with same gang of bacchanalian Aussies in the campgrounds. It is not going to suck.

Cheers.
    Last edited by santasutt; 03-06-2012 at 07:34 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Starraven View Post
    Can I be in a great mood because I don't have an upcoming jail date?

santasutt, sounds like you're going to have a magnificent time!

Quote Originally Posted by Alchemy View Post
    The reason Coachella has always pulled me in is for nostalgia acts and British bands.
    With Pulp, Buzzcocks, Madness, Arctic Monkeys and Noel G, sounds like it's worked out for you, man. And your first two Radiohead experiences? Yeah, it will be a great weekend for you.

Guys,

I bought a pass to last year's fest, but didn't go due to not having enough vacation time available from work (I had enough, but I woulda been screwed by July if I had gone). I thought the lineup was as shitty last year as it's ever been. So I didn't think I'd miss not going that much. But we had a snowstorm that weekend in Minnesota. I watched the webcast that weekend when I wasn't at work. It was torture. I really regretted not being there. It didn't help reading the mostly good experiences you guys had, combo'd with them fixing the clusterfuck of 2010. So I'm happy to be back. I recommend not watching the webcast if you don't go. It put me in a sour mood.
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2014 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by fiopadp7791 View Post
    Guys,

I bought a pass to last year's fest, but didn't go due to not having enough vacation time available from work (I had enough, but I woulda been screwed by July if I had gone). I thought the lineup was as shitty last year as it's ever been. So I didn't think I'd miss not going that much. But we had a snowstorm that weekend in Minnesota. I watched the webcast that weekend when I wasn't at work. It was torture. I really regretted not being there. It didn't help reading the mostly good experiences you guys had, combo'd with them fixing the clusterfuck of 2010. So I'm happy to be back. I recommend not watching the webcast if you don't go. It put me in a sour mood.
    I pretty much had the same deal except I never bought a pass last year & I watched the webcast even while I was at work. I'm happy to be heading back this year too, for my 7th Coachella, but wouldn't recommend not watching the webcast. Sure, it makes you a little sour about not being there, but at least you get to see some of the wonderful performances without the strains of being in the desert.

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    Honestly, I get it.

I keep on thinking that listening to more of the lineup will help me get more excited, but I'm just not. So I thought that changing my plans and not having to deal with camping, and being able to stay with awesome friends at a nice hotel would help, but it's not.

I'm going to hold onto my tickets until I figure out what's going on in my personal and professional life in terms of upcoming departure from my job and moving somewhere for grad school. But there's still a possibility that I am going to sell my Coachella ticket. It's just a lot of time and money to come from far away, when there are so many other things I could be doing with those resources.
    I feel you. I was having a hard time getting excited about this year (to date, I have done ZERO research on this lineup and don't really care to do any), but then my wristbands came today and I realized that we're a month away. I've been giddy all day, it's all I can think about. I'm not sure what happened, but holding the wristbands in my pale, greasy hands was enough to get me salivating and twitching like a junky.

But you can't force these things if you're not into it. I know for a fact this will be my last year for quite some time, possibly ever. Times and people and events change. But you fucking better be excited about staying with us, we have big things in store. In fact, what are you thoughts on confetti? I'm thinking of going a little overboard this year . . .
    Last edited by greghead; 03-06-2012 at 10:18 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand you from all the way up here on the Legend Tier. What was that?

Default Re: And we miss Coachella, much like the deserts miss the rain

Who gives a shit. You're either going or you're not. It's fucking March; get over it already people.

(Btw, Patrick is owning this godforsaken thread. Insert "nailed it" photo here.)

I give a shit because some of these people are my friends and I genuinely look forward to hanging out with them, such as you and I did during Trentemoller last year. That was a good time and I look forward to having more good times with you people.
    Quote Originally Posted by thelastgreatman View Post
    I'm sorry, it's hard for me to understand you from all the way up here on the Legend Tier. What was that?

And those types of bands that have a stronger appeal to you are getting more spots on the lineup at the expense of the type of bands that appeal to me. That's what I mean by balance. Yes there's variety, of course. But there's not as many bands like, say from years past, Liars, Animal Collective, Throbbing Gristle, My Bloody Valentine, Public Image Ltd, Lightning Bolt, etc. I feel like the slightly more abrasive, forward thinking bands with limited appeal are starting to get cut out of the picture in order to make room for more bands that are just y'know "nice." And there's also just a whole lot of repeats and old shoe acts.
    Refused, Godspeed, fIREHOSE, At the Drive-In, Company Flow? Greg Ginn & the Royal We? tUnE-yArDs?

Quote Originally Posted by santasutt View Post
    If my assumption is correct that Coachella 2012 sold 2/3 of the gate prior to the line-up drop, maybe 3/4, then that's a strong argument that it's not so much anymore about the Coachella, the music rather COACHELLA, THE EVENT. For better or worse.

GV could have booked Creed, Hannah Montana, and Insane Clown Posse as headliners and we'd still be looking at a sell out. (Ok, so maybe a little hyperbole there.)
    A line-up like that probably COULD sell out, but certainly not to this crowd. But the PR nightmare and loss of repeat/fringe customers would kill the festival.

And while it may seem like I'm responding to your hyperbole it works even applied to a weak line-up. With the advance purchases the lineup for 2012 is going to have the most effect on ticket sales for 2013. It's a weird system and leads to exactly the sort of thing people are expressing/bemoaning in this thread. But, hey, that is the cost of being popular.
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post

A line-up like that probably COULD sell out, but certainly not to this crowd. But the PR nightmare and loss of repeat/fringe customers would kill the festival.
    ding ding ding. You don't stop doing what made you successful once you become successful. That's the quickest way down the ladder.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    I think the safest course is to assume everyone is a fucking nightmare and proceed from there.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.

Black Keys, Arctic Monkeys, M. Ward, Girls, Bon Iver, The Shins, Noel Gallagher, Miike Snow, Andrew Bird, Feist, St. Vincent, Kasabian, Florence & The Machines, Beirut, Gotye, etc. All pretty inoffensive, pop-friendly indie acts you could probably hear in on an Apple commercial. I'm not saying those are all bad or boring or anything (although some are), but come on, that shit isn't populist? Just replace 3 of those acts with something more out of the ordinary and the lineup would look significantly more imaginative.

I get what you're saying, Patrick. But if you really wanted to, you can pick up every single poster in the history of Coachella and find a significant percentage of the lineup to fit the categories you describe. Of course if the lineup doesn't blow you away, I can't blame you for no travelling to the other side of the country to attend a festival.

A year or two off isn't a bad thing. I really wish I hadn't missed six straight years, but I have no regrets missing Coachella in 2005, 2007 or 2009.
    Last edited by GuyInTucson; 03-07-2012 at 08:34 AM.

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

2005, really?

new order into nin into prodigy was stellar. that was also the year of the best chems performance i've ever seen. marky and roni size were dope. it was an overall good year for BASS i think.

i wish i would have seen MF doom, aesop rock, blackstar, and four tet.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

2009 was my favorite year.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

There is no year I regret going to, with the exception of 2010 (and that was a glitch).
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.

NPR: The new Vh1
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannahrain View Post
    Will somebody trade their bow ticket for my stern ticket? I have this thing where I get seasick if I'm on the wrong side of the engine room, and it works better with my schedule to be on the front end of the changing time zone.

I would have deep regrets for missing 2007. Amy Winehouse's big break, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Comedians of Comedy, Jarvis Cocker, The Good The Bad and The Queen, and Bjork!?

Red Hot Chili Peppers!?!?!?!?
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I would have deep regrets for missing 2007. Amy Winehouse's big break, The Jesus and Mary Chain, Comedians of Comedy, Jarvis Cocker, The Good The Bad and The Queen, and Bjork!?

2007 was my first year. Faithless, Sonic Youth, Cut Chemist, Richie Hawtin, Manu Chao. So many good names.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

i had to miss 2007 and it wasn't really a year i was excited about. thankfully my medical problems tend to flare up during years i'm not that interested in the coachella lineup.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    2005, really?

new order into nin into prodigy was stellar. that was also the year of the best chems performance i've ever seen. marky and roni size were dope. it was an overall good year for BASS i think.

i wish i would have seen MF doom, aesop rock, blackstar, and four tet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dale Gribble View Post
    2009 was my favorite year.
    I am sure I would have had fun at either year, but looking at both lineups as a whole, there just isn't much appeal to me.

I am not a fan of NIN at all; I saw Prodigy three years prior on the main and their show was really good then too. I just see a lot of stuff I shrug at that year (which is how many people look at this year's lineup). There are a few acts there I would have liked to see, but nothing really jumping out at me in 2005.

I feel the same way about 2009, although I did attempt to go that year because it had been so long and I wanted to get the hell out of Tucson and see Paul McCartney and Leonard Cohen. That plan fell through.

I don't like Bjork... like not even in the slightest.

I was watching DJ Shadow.

Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs

Doesn't like NIN or Bjork... I don't understand it, but I'll believe it. I don't like Bjork's new album, but I loved her set at Coachella. She played a ton of my favorite songs.

If I had to miss a year, I think I would have missed 2010. But a lot of that might have to do with being in Manhattan, where I was all over a lot of those bands before and after Coachella. The most painful thing would have been missing Echo & the Bunnymen, because they had cancelled the New York concert I had tickets for, and I had been dying to see them (more than anything on the line-up, even). I also would have missed Faith No More. I wouldn't have realized how my life would be a little lower in quality than it is today, having seen them and learned.