Page 57 of 58 FirstFirst ... 52535455565758 LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,710 of 1715

Thread: And we miss Coachella, much like the deserts miss the rain.

Default Re: And we miss Coachella, much like the deserts miss the rain.

Stop giving The LA times press passes.
    Such crap ...
    Coachella isn't ultra.
    Or EDC .
    Edm has it's place at Coachella but it won't always be closing the Main stage ...

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldorrr View Post
    Tame Impala confirmed
    Lol

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    what about the people giving nonstop running commentary on facebook the entire fucking time?
    that was kind of odd. like, i know i post a lot on facebook in general. and i do take pictures at events. but i don't remember ever posting from the festival. it's not like a normal concert where maybe in between bands you post something because there is nothing to do. at coachella, there is so much art to take in, so much running around to meet friends, get food, grab a beer, pick up some merch, find a decent bathroom, get a good spot for the next band, etc. if that's how people enjoy the fest, that's cool. i just don't remember having that kind of time, or cell service.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I had a great time this year. I wouldn't put near the top of the list, but it is also nowhere near the bottom. I for one was glad to see the Calvin Harris crowd clear out because I got a great spot for Beck and Arcade Fire. We waited through about 20 minutes of the CH set in the beer garden near the main stage (that was also packed). We had a beer and chilled in the back area, which was virtually empty. No real issues with the crowd at all, other than one dude that ran into my girlfriend leaving that set.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    that was kind of odd. like, i know i post a lot on facebook in general. and i do take pictures at events. but i don't remember ever posting from the festival. it's not like a normal concert where maybe in between bands you post something because there is nothing to do. at coachella, there is so much art to take in, so much running around to meet friends, get food, grab a beer, pick up some merch, find a decent bathroom, get a good spot for the next band, etc. if that's how people enjoy the fest, that's cool. i just don't remember having that kind of time, or cell service.
    I mean, I get taking pictures and what not. I do it myself. But people who check in on fb at *every* stage they go to and have these prolonged conversations on the board/fb kind of blows my mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Little Dragon - 8/31 - Moody Theater
    Ty Segall - 9/5 - The Mohawk
    Seth Troxler - 9/5 - Vulcan Gas Company
    Black Lips/King Khan & BBQ Show - 9/12 - J. Lorraine Ghost Town
    DJ Shadow/Cut Chemist - 9/18 - Moody Theater

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    There was an EDC but obviously nowhere near the scale it is now.
    I stand corrected.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    I mean, I get taking pictures and what not. I do it myself. But people who check in on fb at *every* stage they go to and have these prolonged conversations on the board/fb kind of blows my mind.
    was was especially weird was, for the few sets that were webcast live or nearly live, if someone there posted on FB shortly after the set, we would then exchange opinions about it.
    Last edited by shakermaker113; 04-15-2014 at 03:55 PM.

I long for the Coachella of yesteryear - like the Def Jux onslaught of 2002?, Lemon D and Dilinja, Squarepusher, Miss Kittin, Tiga (in the Sahara), Underworld, Dan the Automator, Plump DJs, Masters at Work, Groove Armada, etc.

Perhaps my taste is outdated. But Coachella used to be somewhat forward thinking in their electronic/hip hop billings. So they throw us a bone with the Yuma tent, but seriously, fuck that. I want the "big tent" experience back. Coachella has stuck electronic/dance music fans like me into the corner of the festival, in a small tent disguised as a club. I can go to clubs here. I want to be jumping up and down to Superstylin'. Sweating my balls off. In an open air tent. With crazy visuals. That experience.

Unfortunately, while Coachella wins for geographical convenience, it fails to deliver on both artist talent and atmosphere. Although I appreciate efforts in bringing some decent talent to the polo fields, it's just falling short enough for me to not want to go back.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I get sad seeing the photos of the beautiful venue, especially at sunset. I miss being there and enjoying music with friends but the lineup just hasn't been strong enough for me to commit, for the third year in a row. I am really anxious to hear reports regarding the craft beer and food choices this year.
    The only "food" that stood out was ice cream I had on Sunday night. It was probably the best ice cream I've ever had in my life. It was sea salt and caramel from a place based in Portland called Salt & Straw. Next time you get a chance to make your way to Portland, I highly suggest it.

The ICE CREAM WAS AMAZING!!!!

Agreed. That sea salt and caramel ice cream was insanely good.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

This was my 6th Coachella, and it's between this one and 2011 as my favorite years. Out of the 29 acts I saw, the only disappointments were OutKast (cause they were boring) and Factory Floor (cause of some sound issues beyond their control). The music was ridiculously good. I had little down time, but just enough to take a breather every now and then. I don't fit in with the new demographic, but it didn't impact my experience. I didn't get annoyed at any sets, and that's really the only actual malice a certain demographic can have on me. I mean, yeah, there were a lot of bros and kids and whatnot. But they weren't at most of my sets. I was even by the soundboard during Lorde, and the crowd was fine.

Honestly, taking last year off probably helped me get re-energized for this weekend. It was a beautiful time with great music and great people.

Regarding the constant Facebook updates during the festival, I don't quite get that either. I think the only time I posted from the festival was while I was waiting for Nas. However, even though I don't get it, I hate to tell people how to do Coachella. Maybe part of enhancing the experience for them is sharing it with friends back home. I don't know.
    Last edited by HotHamWater; 04-15-2014 at 06:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sonnyboy11 View Post
    Agreed. That sea salt and caramel ice cream was insanely good.
    Good to finally meet you, man. Sorry the conversation was kind of cut short.

Algunz, thanks for not being TOO MUCH of an annoyance during Courtney Barnett and Arcade Fire. Even though you did get brave and take it upon yourself to elbow me a few times. I survived to tell the tale.

Quote Originally Posted by HotHamWater View Post
    Good to finally meet you, man. Sorry the conversation was kind of cut short.
    You too! We were hopping around a lot that day. But Courtney Barnett was good and it was a fun, if short, hang.

Algunz, thanks for not being TOO MUCH of an annoyance during Courtney Barnett and Arcade Fire. Even though you did get brave and take it upon yourself to elbow me a few times. I survived to tell the tale.
    Al's elbows are pretty f'in sharp. You were lucky.
    Steve Winwood| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds| Echo and the Bunnymen| Echo and the Bunnymen| Paul McCartney| Foxygen| FYF Fest| NIN/Soundgarden|
    Elvis Costello| Swans| Buzzcocks| King Crimson| Elton John| Kasabian| Massive Attack| Massive Attack| Slowdive| Tame Impala| Fleetwood Mac| A Winged Victory for the Sullen

Coachella Junkie chairmenmeow47's Avatar

Regarding the constant Facebook updates during the festival, I don't quite get that either. I think the only time I posted from the festival was while I was waiting for Nas. However, even though I don't get it, I hate to tell people how to do Coachella. Maybe part of enhancing the experience for them is sharing it with friends back home. I don't know.
    i agree with this. it was fun seeing everyone's pics too. i more am just perplexed because i don't remember having the time to post. but my first year we had walkie-talkies because the service was pretty non-existant.
    Quote Originally Posted by malcolmjamalawesome View Post
    It's when we discuss Coachella that we are at our collective dipshittiest.

I'll try harder next time.

Quote Originally Posted by chairmenmeow47 View Post
    i agree with this. it was fun seeing everyone's pics too. i more am just perplexed because i don't remember having the time to post. but my first year we had walkie-talkies because the service was pretty non-existant.
    I have to occasionally remind myself that I did not yet own a smart phone last time I was at coachella.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    I have to occasionally remind myself that I did not yet own a smart phone last time I was at coachella.
    When did you last go? I've only been in 2013 but left my phone at home. Plan to do the same this year. I guess a lot of people are saying the service was really good, though! Bring your smellphone so we can meet up for a beer if you end up at OSL.
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

The only "food" that stood out was ice cream I had on Sunday night. It was probably the best ice cream I've ever had in my life. It was sea salt and caramel from a place based in Portland called Salt & Straw. Next time you get a chance to make your way to Portland, I highly suggest it.
    Based off all the praise that's been posted, I will definitely keep it in mind.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Quote Originally Posted by Sheldorrr View Post
    When did you last go? I've only been in 2013 but left my phone at home. Plan to do the same this year. I guess a lot of people are saying the service was really good, though! Bring your smellphone so we can meet up for a beer if you end up at OSL.
    2011, service at outside lands is horrible, and I probably won't attend anyway.

this is the first weekend I've skipped since '08. #feelsweird

They have salt & straw at my work. It's ok but Double Rainbow ice cream from SanFran > *.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Judgy McMarco TeamCoachellaHellYeah's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by insbordnat View Post
    I long for the Coachella of yesteryear - like the Def Jux onslaught of 2002?, Lemon D and Dilinja, Squarepusher, Miss Kittin, Tiga (in the Sahara), Underworld, Dan the Automator, Plump DJs, Masters at Work, Groove Armada, etc.

Perhaps my taste is outdated. But Coachella used to be somewhat forward thinking in their electronic/hip hop billings. So they throw us a bone with the Yuma tent, but seriously, fuck that. I want the "big tent" experience back. Coachella has stuck electronic/dance music fans like me into the corner of the festival, in a small tent disguised as a club. I can go to clubs here. I want to be jumping up and down to Superstylin'. Sweating my balls off. In an open air tent. With crazy visuals. That experience.

Unfortunately, while Coachella wins for geographical convenience, it fails to deliver on both artist talent and atmosphere. Although I appreciate efforts in bringing some decent talent to the polo fields, it's just falling short enough for me to not want to go back.
    I need to step in here, and I hope I don't come off as rude or jerky but, I think its a combo of a) yes our taste does are outdated (I keep thinking of acts that I'd like to see in the Sahara and they tend to be artists from the early 2000s late 90s) and b) the festival is only as good as available acts and sadly there isn't enough talent out there touring or being produced. I still think that Coachella does excellent job at getting some gems and experimenting (I felt the Knife fit this bill for example), especially looking at the other major festivals (I won't compare this to a smaller niche festival because its apples and oranges). Finally, one needs to be careful in "wishing" for yesterdays because then we come off like our parents and their parents beyond and being frighten of change. Good or Bad, I still think for a mainstream major festival nothing beats it.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    Reviewers who note the size of the crowd are dumb fucks.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Finally able to check out the webcast tonight and am pretty content with not spending the whole weekend out there. The lineup really did nothing for me this year besides QOTSA and I will be out to see them there tomorrow, so all is good. Just glad I have the ability to do it this way, with the only cost being gas to get there and back. May end up staying for muse, as well, but not too worried if it is one and done, plus a beautiful sunset at one of my favorite places on earth. It's good for my soul.
    this times a thousand.
    COACHELLA's: 2001. 2002. 2003. 2004. 2005. 2006. 2007. 2008. 2009. 2010. 2011. 2012. 2013. 2014. 2015.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    This is where I was earlier. However, now that I'm reading all of my friends' fb statuses.... sounds like the crowds are getting worse.
    I'm not sure where your friend was but this was one of the more laid back crowds I've dealt with in 14 years. Then again, I didn't touch the Sahara because that shit looked awful all weekend long.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I'm 50/50 for next year. Will depend solely on the lineup. If they put a bunch of shit on the lineup again, nothing will get me there...not with the type of crowd it attracts. Shit begets flies. If they go back to the 2013 music fan style of lineup, I'm in.
    In hindsight, Friday's line up was just awful literally nothing for us to see until sunset. But I'm also confident of a strong if not stellar line up and its why I'll keep buying my tickets before seeing the line up. That being said, if next year we get a line up that looks like OSL this year I'll probably take a year off. But I can't see that happening.

Quote Originally Posted by TeamCoachellaHellYeah View Post
    Finally, one needs to be careful in "wishing" for yesterdays because then we come off like our parents and their parents beyond and being frighten of change.
    This would be a nice sentiment if only it wasn't steeped in that naive and lethargic belief in your own irresponsibility to mold the culture of our youth by values you know are righteous.

I'm not sure where your friend was but this was one of the more laid back crowds I've dealt with in 14 years. Then again, I didn't touch the Sahara because that shit looked awful all weekend long.
    That's one thing I forget about re: Coachella. Right off the bat, there is 20% of the lineup I have, generally, zero interest in. Makes it hard to convince myself to go back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

In hindsight, Friday's line up was just awful literally nothing for us to see until sunset. But I'm also confident of a strong if not stellar line up and its why I'll keep buying my tickets before seeing the line up. That being said, if next year we get a line up that looks like OSL this year I'll probably take a year off. But I can't see that happening.
    You were doing it wrong if you didn't have either Austra or Jagwar Ma on your radar. Saturday & Sunday afternoons were pretty barren but it was worthwhile getting there early on Friday to see more than a few performances.
    Quote Originally Posted by stinkbutt View Post
    It's like finding out an old high school buddy is on meth, and you're not sure if any of the rumors of him giving handies behind Burger King are true but they very likely could be.

Quote Originally Posted by Somewhat Damaged View Post
    You were doing it wrong if you didn't have either Austra or Jagwar Ma on your radar. Saturday & Sunday afternoons were pretty barren but it was worthwhile getting there early on Friday to see more than a few performances.
    Just going to chip in and emphasize that Austra was the best damn set I saw all weekend. So yeah.
    Upcoming Shows:
    * Dillon Francis + Anamanaguchi -- December 28th

Going to Weekend 1 of Coachella 2014

Cara. Don't judge a man for not being able to formulate a coherent thought. On an internet forum of all places.