Page 56 of 58 FirstFirst ... 5152535455565758 LastLast
Results 1,651 to 1,680 of 1714

Thread: And we miss Coachella, much like the deserts miss the rain.

Default Re: And we miss Coachella, much like the deserts miss the rain.

The food choices in SS Coachella Celebrity were incredible and up my alley. I will cruise again only with the SS Coachella + Celebrity (regardless of the lineup and destination).

Quote Originally Posted by Courtney View Post
    I also wish I was there, but mostly because of wanting to take a few days off from real life, and because of wanting to see friends who I don't get to see very often. Seeing the photos makes me remember the good times I have had at past Coachellas, and then I get nostalgic.

The thing I'm trying to remind myself of is that the thing I'm craving isn't actually Coachella 2014 -- it's Coachella 2004. And going to Coachella this year wouldn't have given me that anyway, so it's best to focus my twinges of longing on planning future awesome stuff I am going to do.

But yeah, it's a little hard to see all the photos.
    Very well said.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cpt. Funkaho View Post
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

Finally able to check out the webcast tonight and am pretty content with not spending the whole weekend out there. The lineup really did nothing for me this year besides QOTSA and I will be out to see them there tomorrow, so all is good. Just glad I have the ability to do it this way, with the only cost being gas to get there and back. May end up staying for muse, as well, but not too worried if it is one and done, plus a beautiful sunset at one of my favorite places on earth. It's good for my soul.

Quote Originally Posted by unknown View Post
    I get sad seeing the photos of the beautiful venue, especially at sunset. I miss being there and enjoying music with friends but the lineup just hasn't been strong enough for me to commit, for the third year in a row. I am really anxious to hear reports regarding the craft beer and food choices this year.
    This is where I was earlier. However, now that I'm reading all of my friends' fb statuses.... sounds like the crowds are getting worse.
    Quote Originally Posted by nathanfairchild View Post
    Has Pitchfork revealed it's top 200 covers by Arcade Fire yet?

Craft beer ten bucks everyone , fucking heaven sent add.
    Spicy pie is mainstream shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Gribbz View Post
    This is where I was earlier. However, now that I'm reading all of my friends' fb statuses.... sounds like the crowds are getting worse.
    I am the only who had been or probably thinking of Coachella right now in my FB. I have people I met and became friends during my travels posting last few days pics of Lolla in Brazil & about Rock in Rio Lisboa. Big mistake I decided to like Coachella's FB for this year. Sorry, I have to unlike you, Coachella. It is weird you had been in my mind all day yesterday but at this early morning, your FB Day 1 pictures are killing me. Not something I need in the next 2 weeks.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-12-2014 at 06:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    Finally able to check out the webcast tonight and am pretty content with not spending the whole weekend out there. The lineup really did nothing for me this year besides QOTSA and I will be out to see them there tomorrow, so all is good. Just glad I have the ability to do it this way, with the only cost being gas to get there and back. May end up staying for muse, as well, but not too worried if it is one and done, plus a beautiful sunset at one of my favorite places on earth. It's good for my soul.
    I am not one of those who totally wanted a lineup almost exactly like 2004. I used to be with GV that everyone should be going there for the complete Coachella experience. I am an easy person to be pleased and my musical tastes in indie music is not as cool as some people here but when it comes to EDM, I passionately hated what Coachella has become.

I really wish that GV comes up with weekend 1 lineup with what most of us consider pure gold acts then weekend 2 with those garbage. I never regret anything but I am afraid to go back there with no options and if it would be almost 180 of the experiences I have had.

Edit: Happy for you, Steve! Please enjoy and be safe out there for all of us who cannot be there. *Please tell GV or whoever is ruining Coachella, to go fuck themselves. Just kidding*

I wish you all the best.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-12-2014 at 08:29 AM. Reason: Babes

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

right on schedule, the nostalgia has passed. I woke up this morning quite happy to be at home in my bed. fully enjoying the webcast from the comfort of my living room.

Douchey worse or too packed worse ?
    Man, the Beatles were overrated like gravity is overrated. ......... Say what you want, but statements like "the Beatles were overrated" make me much less likely to listen to anything you say afterward.

douchey worse. with the do lab moved up into the (expanded) terrace it felt much more open overall. although some sets were ridiculously packed, but that happens pretty much every year
    Quote Originally Posted by kvnty View Post
    You little cock sucker, menikmati. This is a fucking violation of compliance and you will fucking pay, you little pig.

I'm 50/50 for next year. Will depend solely on the lineup. If they put a bunch of shit on the lineup again, nothing will get me there...not with the type of crowd it attracts. Shit begets flies. If they go back to the 2013 music fan style of lineup, I'm in.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Coachella never goes backwards, it only goes forward.
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Quote Originally Posted by captncrzy View Post
    I'm 50/50 for next year. Will depend solely on the lineup. If they put a bunch of shit on the lineup again, nothing will get me there...not with the type of crowd it attracts. Shit begets flies. If they go back to the 2013 music fan style of lineup, I'm in.
    2013 was amazing for me and is part of the reason I couldn't justify spending the money for this lineup, so I get this sentiment. That said, it was killing me all weekend to hear about you all having fun out there, and I wanted to be there regardless.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    hey. get your own colonoscopy thread, bitch.

I am going to take a gamble and do a Coachella comeback next year. I have a back-up set of itinerary if GV wants those trash and flies to come again.

*Looks like the EDM garbage and rotten cheese of 2012 or so are due for returns next year - David Guetta, Afrojack, AVICII, SHM, Tiesto ... ugh Are the petition threads to ban such garbage even work?*

Quote Originally Posted by caeden View Post
    douchey worse. with the do lab moved up into the (expanded) terrace it felt much more open overall. although some sets were ridiculously packed, but that happens pretty much every year
    That's really too bad.

Or Win Butler already delivered the lethal blows? Less VIP BS and mostly real musicians only starting Coachella 2015?

Great food choices for everyone, yes?!
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-14-2014 at 09:22 PM.

It'd be hilarious if they sold out the presale and then dropped a lineup that had nothing but real, underground DJs in the Sahara. Tickets would be dirt cheap.

Really though, I'm still, after all this time, baffled by these bookings. The talent pool is very small, so we have the same DJs (playing the same songs) playing a handful of fests in the US every fucking year. Why does Coachella need an EDC tent when there is an EDC festival? Shit, there's two of them. Plus Ultra. Plus Electric Zoo. And there's maybe, what, 40 acts that keep getting recycled through and through. Has anyone who hasn't seen these guys that want to even exist any more? Old news, but still, so so baffling.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

From the LA times:

Who was Sunday's Coachella headliner? The band that played last, to wrap up the weekend on the main stage? Or the act that drew probably the weekend's biggest crowd, and certainly its most fevered rush of fans?

If the answer is the former, it's indisputably Arcade Fire, which closed out the festival with a set drawing from the downtown disco of its latest album "Reflektor." But if it's the latter, then it's probably Calvin Harris, the Scottish EDM producer whose main stage set around 8 p.m. drew an instant crush of ravers who practically vacated the rest of the festival.

Or it might have been the English neo-house duo Disclosure, whose sprawling Outdoor Stage set absolutely beat Arcade Fire's in numbers during the few songs the two overlapped (and more to come on their set, which featured a cameo from Mary J. Blige, later).

The true headliner Sunday was dance music in general, which should be cause for reflection about how Coachella organizes its top billings in the future.
    What does this mean for how future Coachellas should organize? Should they behave more like 2012's Swedish House Mafia set or Tiesto in 2010, when they let a big dance act close out the night after the ostensible rock headliner finished? Should they just give up the ghost and start putting EDM acts at the top of the bill? This year more than ever, it feels like all the oxygen got sucked out of the marquee rock acts (Muse, the woefully underattended Replacements), and got channeled into even the most obvious big DJ bills (Skrillex, Martin Garrix, Harris, etc).
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-15-2014 at 03:31 AM.

Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by gaypalmsprings View Post
    Coachella never goes backwards, it only goes forward.
    Tame Impala confirmed
    CHECK OUT HOW ME AND MY BORING FRIENDS EXPERIENCE COACHELLA!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G7FL8IWFxMU

So if things get even worse, from the "Glastonbury of California" (or ATP) into Ultra 2 at the Desert. Hehe

Someday the remaining few of us will retake the ATP style limited /controlled capacity Sahara and the other tents as they will be isolated in the Main and Outdoor stages.

2 types of wristbands / pills at POS: the cool or the raver one.
    Last edited by idrive1life; 04-15-2014 at 07:49 AM.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    Really though, I'm still, after all this time, baffled by these bookings. The talent pool is very small, so we have the same DJs (playing the same songs) playing a handful of fests in the US every fucking year. Why does Coachella need an EDC tent when there is an EDC festival? Shit, there's two of them. Plus Ultra. Plus Electric Zoo. And there's maybe, what, 40 acts that keep getting recycled through and through. Has anyone who hasn't seen these guys that want to even exist any more? Old news, but still, so so baffling.
    I wonder whether it's a historical thing. At the time Coachella started there was no EDC, or Ultra, or most other festivals that exist now. Nocturnal was around back then, but generally the Sahara was unique for some time, and in all likelihood helped bring the now-booming EDM scene to life. They might just feel it's part of coachella's identity now.

The first line-up had Chemical Brothers, Underworld, and Moby as 3 of their top acts. EDM has always been there. It just was good back then and hadn't attracted the element yet.

Quote Originally Posted by shakermaker113 View Post
    At the time Coachella started there was no EDC
    There was an EDC but obviously nowhere near the scale it is now.

I'll have to wait to hear about week 2 experiences to see if the crowd demographic is any better, but I've been thinking that if I do attend again I will shoot for week 2. Even for week 1 it sounds pretty easy to deal with the crowd judging from the most crowded/least crowded thread thanks to the abundance of shitty electronic pop music.
    Quote Originally Posted by boarderwoozel3 View Post
    I just want to ingest mind-altering chemicals and get my mind blown by tribal lasers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleepingrock View Post
    I would rather have an auctioneer mc DnB sets

Are people really posting on the board while they're at Coachella? Good grief people.
    what about the people giving nonstop running commentary on facebook the entire fucking time?
    Quote Originally Posted by Wayne Coyne
    People treat Arcade Fire like they're the greatest thing ever and they get away with it.

Quote Originally Posted by sbessiso View Post
    what about the people giving nonstop running commentary on facebook the entire fucking time?
    I remember the lost child at Disneyland days - "ok if we get lost, we will meet up here at x time". Now there is reception. and
    Quote Originally Posted by fatbastard View Post
    Don't ever use Paul's name again in a posting. YOU GOT THAT YOU STUPID MOTHERFUCKER? Paul was making his bones in the business back when you were just cum in your mother's ear.

Quote Originally Posted by algunz View Post
    The first line-up had Chemical Brothers, Underworld, and Moby as 3 of their top acts. EDM has always been there. It just was good back then and hadn't attracted the element yet.
    I know that around 06-07 in Colorado saw a huge resurgence in rave culture that I think was largely not present in '99 - a lot of the early oughts, too. I think that Colorado hits trends a little late, but since then the element you're talking about has been growing exponentially.

EDM is electronic pop. it's not house, drum and bass, techno....etc. it is a dumbed down conglomerate of these.

Quote Originally Posted by marooko View Post
    EDM is electronic pop. it's not house, drum and bass, techno....etc. it is a dumbed down conglomerate of these.
    For a laugh you should look up the often 4-6 different genres these artists label themselves with.

Stop giving The LA times press passes.
    Such crap ...
    Coachella isn't ultra.
    Or EDC .
    Edm has it's place at Coachella but it won't always be closing the Main stage ...