Page 54 of 58 FirstFirst ... 49505152535455565758 LastLast
Results 1,591 to 1,620 of 1715

Thread: And we miss Coachella, much like the deserts miss the rain.

Default Re: And we miss Coachella, much like the deserts miss the rain.

Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    It really fucking sucks when you just get into a higher tax bracket and end up paying more in taxes so that your take home pay is actually less than what you would have made had you been in the next bracket down.

Wife is a realtor, so self employed. The trick we learned to use is to hold all checks, if you can afford to, that come in late in the year(mid november/december) and deposit them in the new year so they are not calculated into that tax year. Can help keep you in a lower tax bracket if you are right on the verge.
    You'll find that being in a higher tax bracket doesn't really change your effective interest rate. As you make more, you'll pay more $ but also more as a percentage. Jumping to the next bracket doesn't cause a sudden jump in your effective rate. For example, if you make $75k, you'll pay about 19.57% effective rate in taxes. If you make 95k, your effective rate will be 20.94%. Yes, you're in a higher bracket, but there's also a 20k difference in income. So yes, progressive taxation sucks, but think of it as a continuum.

Consider this - $87,849 (right below the 25%/28% bracket cutoff) - effective rate of 20.37%. $87,851 (right above the cutoff) - 20.37%. No difference. You'll pay $1 more dollar in taxes. It also stands to reason that the more you make, the more deductions you typically have, and thus those will lower your effective rate even more.
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove

I agree with insubordnat.

Tax brackets only matter for the money in that bracket. We have marginal taxes. These numbers are for 2013 taxes for single filers but marginal taxes are not new and this applies to married, head of household, etc.

2013 Tax Tables (incomplete)
    10% $0 to $8,925
    15% $8,925 to $36,250
    25% $36,250 to $87,850
    28% $87,850 to $183,250

If your taxable income was $36,000
    • $8,925 gets taxed at 10% = $893
    • The next chunk is for each dollar from $8,926 to $36,000. That $27,075 gets taxed at 15% = $4061
    • Total is $4,954, making your net $31,046

And if your taxable income was $37,000
    • The next chunk is for each dollar from $8,926 to $36,250. That $27,325 gets taxed at 15% = $4099
    • The final $750 gets taxed at 25% = $188
    • Total is $5,180, making your net $31,820

So making $1,000 more nets you $774 more money after taxes. On that $1000 you paid just over 20% in taxes, which makes sense as some of that money was taxed at 15% and the rest at 25%.

If your taxable income is higher, all things being equal, you will end up with a higher net.

I am not a tax professional. There may be various other factors, deductions you can't take, etc. You are free to pay more in taxes as a donation if you wish.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

Though I can see how your year to year fraud could mean you could keep a bit more.

If you knew it your taxable income would go like:

Year 1 - $37,250
    Year 2 - $35,000

That last $1,000 in Year 1 would be taxed at 25%, so you'd keep $750.
    But if you held that $1,000 back and counted it as Year 2 money then it'd only be taxed at 15%, meaning you'd keep $850 of it and you get $100 more over the two years.

It is unlikely you'd make $100 in interest, etc. on that $1,000 by depositing it earlier so as long as you don't forget to cash a check, don't get caught and know that it's going to matter (some years over a bracket line, some years under) then I can see how it would work.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoulDischarge View Post
    See how wrong you are, Tommy? Randy is agreeing with you.

I get why you do it Steve, but I really fucking hate tax fraud. I mean, the roads suck, the infrastructure is fucked and yet people keep decrying taxes. How the hell are we going to fix stuff without the money to fix it?

Show me how I'm wrong. Someone.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Remember Hitler? I don't but here we are again .. cr****

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    I get why you do it Steve, but I really fucking hate tax fraud. I mean, the roads suck, the infrastructure is fucked and yet people keep decrying taxes. How the hell are we going to fix stuff without the money to fix it?

I always wonder that too... I always think the same people that want lower taxes are the same ones that bitch that class-rooms are over-crowded, the roads have too many pot-holes, and there's too much crime. Hmmm... how does that stuff get paid for?
    If y'all fresh to death, then I'm deceased... -Kanye West
    Jamiroquai 2015 please.
    Quote Originally Posted by miscorrections View Post
    How is any of that ironic? On this board I absolutely expect terrible people to call other people terrible.

Alright, count me out for another year. I decided to go do some parties in Miami in late March around my birthday and visit a good friend of mine instead. I really love the lineup and there are bands it is going to absolutely destroy me not to see, but my friend and I had been trying to work out something to do together for like 2 years now, and it was just going to be a real strain to get us both to Coachella. It's just too pricey and the hassle and uncertainty of dealing with trying to secure tickets when they're sold out isn't something I'm very into dealing with when trying to work out a vacation. Also, I can't say I'm all that bummed about choosing to see some of my favorite DJs do extended sets all night long and the allure of techno pool parties over spending four days camping in the desert for a sold out festival where most of my favorite bands are going to get less than hour to play. I wish I could swing both, and this year's lineup is making me inclined to spring for the presale payment plan for next year coming next summer, but I'm fairly happy with my choice for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by guedita View Post
    Thanks for giving us the opportunity to not give a fuck again.

Awh man, you're another person I was hoping on meeting at the boardie group photo!

7/10 Cloud Nothings W/ Metz @ Constellation Room
    7/11 Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds @ The Shrine Auditorium
    7/19 X (Acoustic) @ Pappy & Harriet's
    8/23-8/24 FYF Fest
    9/11 Swans @ The Roxy

I guess the Official Gay Orgy is going to be kinda small this year.

Missing my first year since I started attending in 2008. It's rough. Every warm day that allows me to drive with my windows down, I think "Coachella is coming!" and then remind myself that I'm not going.
    Sean Penn Acid Test 2008 - Legendary

2008 , 2009, 2010, 2011 , 2012 wk1, 2013 wk2. 6 years running!

Hell or highwater, fire and brimstone, not even cancer is powerful enough to keep me from Coachella!

Brutal hotel costs are making this add up to a $2500 weekend for 2. Really miss the days when you could book an okay room in Palm Desert for $120 a night. Seems like it makes more sense to sell the passes, hoof it to SF, see friends & catch The Knife and a few other acts up there.

Quote Originally Posted by mountmccabe View Post
    I agree with insubordnat.

Tax brackets only matter for the money in that bracket. We have marginal taxes. These numbers are for 2013 taxes for single filers but marginal taxes are not new and this applies to married, head of household, etc.

2013 Tax Tables (incomplete)
    10% $0 to $8,925
    15% $8,925 to $36,250
    25% $36,250 to $87,850
    28% $87,850 to $183,250

If your taxable income was $36,000
    • The next chunk is for each dollar from $8,926 to $36,000. That $27,075 gets taxed at 15% = $4061
    • Total is $4,954, making your net $31,046

And if your taxable income was $37,000
    • The next chunk is for each dollar from $8,926 to $36,250. That $27,325 gets taxed at 15% = $4099
    • The final $750 gets taxed at 25% = $188
    • Total is $5,180, making your net $31,820

So making $1,000 more nets you $774 more money after taxes. On that $1000 you paid just over 20% in taxes, which makes sense as some of that money was taxed at 15% and the rest at 25%.

If your taxable income is higher, all things being equal, you will end up with a higher net.

I am not a tax professional. There may be various other factors, deductions you can't take, etc. You are free to pay more in taxes as a donation if you wish.
    So yeah I know this is a year old but in case anyone is still interested.

The math above is correct but the "various other factors" can be material. There's the Alternative Minimum Tax, for one. Also the phase out of certain deductions above a given income level.

That being said, I think it would be quite rare for someone to make more money but have a lower take home pay solely because of taxes.
    Quote Originally Posted by efrain44 View Post
    Anyone know who the guy in the Cardinals jersey is? I've seen him in pictures on the board and I thought I saw him this year.

We stay at this 2-room villa in Palm Springs last year. We fit 8 people and it was $80 for each person for the whole weekend. TallGuy and Lingo (Neutral Milk Hotel) stayed in the same location. It's a bit of a drive there but the price difference makes it well worth it.
    7/21 - !!! @ Club Congress (Tucson, AZ)
    8/23 - Galactic @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    8/25 - Future Islands @ 191 Toole (Tucson, AZ)
    10/11 - Carolina Chocolate Drops @ Rialto Theater (Tucson, AZ)
    11/10 - The Black Keys @ US Airways Center (Phoenix, AZ)
    4/10/15 - 4/12/15 - Coachella

Yeah, appreciate the suggestion. PS has some alright options, but I can't get my head around the idea of a long drive to-and-from the venue each day. I'd be happy to camp, but the ladyfriend is unfortunately not so keen on that. Hopefully a bedroom in a house turns up, something like that. Blah

Fwiw, you can take the shuttle to and from Palm Springs. And considering the regular on sale forced ppl to buy shuttle passes for w1, you should probably be able to pick up a pair of shuttle passes for really cheap once ppl start receiving their wristbands.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

Doing one or two other things instead. Also, that lineup does not excite me in the slightest. I think Coachella booked Outkast just so they wouldn't be the only festival not to get them.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustSteve View Post
    well, for all intensive porpoises it is, will sell out within seconds tomorrow.
    Quote Originally Posted by korbinn View Post
    It's jsut dawned on me that I'm overly confident and a extremely ocd perfectionist.
    Quote Originally Posted by kroqken View Post
    I don't give a flying fuck about the Kardashians, I doubt they know who Belle and Sebastian are.

We generally stay in vacation rentals in Palm Desert. Same one multiple times, nice place, short drive.

I stay at home. FTW!
    Quote Originally Posted by SepaGroove View Post
    You shouldn't feel uncool for not going to EDC, you should feel uncool because you are uncool.

Once again, I am confused. The Local News reported the other day that the on-going statewide drought has caused all of California to miss the rain...

Quote Originally Posted by shermanoaksyo View Post
    Brutal hotel costs are making this add up to a $2500 weekend for 2. Really miss the days when you could book an okay room in Palm Desert for $120 a night. Seems like it makes more sense to sell the passes, hoof it to SF, see friends & catch The Knife and a few other acts up there.

Yeah, this. They've jacked up the hotel prices since the fest started selling out quickly. I have some friends in the Bay Area that I fly out to see once or twice a year, it's easier to just see one or two acts in SF than it is to spend $1000+ for the festival.

The lineup, IMO, doesn't really do much for me this year.
    We're here to play some Mississippi Delta Blues. We're in a horrible depression, and I gotta admit - we're starting to like it.

I think I will miss this year, unfortunately.
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    I try to be politically pc more than most here: As a dude, anyone who could put a shark up a gals pc body, is pretty creepy, different and interesting. Just saying big time ..... cr****

I'm skipping again this year. I'm sure it will come as no surprise to anyone. There are just so many other things I would rather do with the time and money.

Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post

I'm giving this a one-year overdue QFT.

Without the cash to spend and a somewhat uninspired lineup I'm also on this year's skip list.
    Quote Originally Posted by M Sparks View Post
    It's all riding on this. You've got big dreams to ride to the top of the Flash Mob world. Well internet fame costs. And right now is when you start paying for it...in sweat.
    Quote Originally Posted by TomAz View Post
    A butt plug is not a weapon.

I have still made no plans to go, not talked to anyone about getting them in, etc. I may try and go out for Queens, but making it the whole weekend just isn't looking to be in the cards at this point.

Also, for a hotel In The past I always booked the motel 6 off of Washington and the 10. They have never jacked their prices up, always around $90/night and can cancel up until 6pm on day of arrival. Am sure it is too late now, but always a good place to book when rooms become available and hold until other options pan out.

It's easy to be nonchalant about missing the fest until right about now. Yall jam out with your clam out.
    Quote Originally Posted by PotVsKtl View Post
    The middle class needs sick beats.

Coachella Junkie shakermaker113's Avatar

this now being my third year away I have no second thoughts about missing it. I'm quite looking forward to two days of watching the webcast on my tv.

when you lose money for the year, do you get any money back from previous years you made money?

Quote Originally Posted by homersexual View Post
    when you lose money for the year, do you get any money back from previous years you made money?
    You are a fucking moron.
    Odi profanum vulgus et arceo. I hate the unholy rabble and keep them away - Horace.
    Quote Originally Posted by Drinkey McDrinkerstein View Post
    Arcade FIre are a bunch of dicks, Deadmau5 is a dick, bands are dicks, David Bowie sucks dicks, Daft Punk is two human buttholes with semen for brains (that was loaded into a butthole from a dick that grew out of their moms), we're all dicks that fucked our moms assholes, God is going to put a giant dick down and fuck our mouths

I dislike tax fraud. I'd be more vocal about it if the gov wasn't pissing so much away.

No Coachella this year. sad face.

I can't help but be sentimental - the anticipation while at work at 3pm, checking the clock at 3:10, then 3:20, hitting the road at 5, getting into Indio at 10, heading into camping turnstile lines, cracking a beer, listening to music, talking with others in the car lines, setting up camp, heading into the fest and seeing the new layout and goodies...

Maybe next year...have fun all of ya
    northside groove...southside groove....eastside groove...westside groove