Page 6 of 72 FirstFirst ... 234567891011 ... LastLast

Thread: The Chemical Brothers: Friday, April 15 10:00pm - 11:30pm

Default Re: The Chemical Brothers: Friday, April 15 10:00pm - 11:30pm

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    The Chemical Brothers won't play the main stage, but I will say this. Their set on the main stage at Coachella in 2002 was the best set I have seen them play EVER. Better than when they were the Dust Brothers and toured with Orbital and Underworld, better than their gig at Astoria, better than at the Brixton Academy w/ Prodigy, better than any of their other Coachella performances, better than any of the other dozen or so times I have seen them. The same can be said for the sound on the main stage as well.

Would definitely prefer them on the main or outdoor even. So much better to be getting down under the stars than in the tent. I guess you just haven't experienced it if you believe otherwise.

Electric Zoo in the main stage was fucking great! I would like to hear from anyone else who was there if they would prefer the main over the Sahara.

Last edited by anti-square; 01-21-2011 at 01:22 PM.

Chemicals in the Sahara would be better.

They know how to utilize the surround sound and have such epic moments like that bass drop transition at the beginning of escape velocity, or during under the influence. Even outdoors, it sounded like an airplane was landing on the crowd, the bass would build from the back then sweep up to the front, I can only imagine how incredible this would be in a tent with surround sound. Also the screen is not insanely over the top huge. With the amount of people that will most likely be at KoL, the Sahara would be the pristine perfect spot for a chemical indulgence. Almost makes me want to go 3000 miles for this performance alone.

They will definitely close with TPPR, which so so fucking cool.

Another one from the Fox show.

Quote Originally Posted by Cuddlesthesheep View Post
    wait wait wait.. im looking at setlists for their further tour so far.. WTF are they not playing Another World!?!?

i would be incredibly disappointed. . .
    played it at the bowl show, man i love bumping that song in my car, but live the sound just makes that song REALLY come alive!

Quote Originally Posted by grannock View Post
    You missed it, shoulda seen em last summer =/

Another World + Dissolve sounded so much better than on the album.

Second song is Another World.

Dissolve felt so fucking great. I was really peaking at this point and wasn't sure if I was going to be able to make it. The visuals of the guy doing the warm ups and shaking it off put me in the perfect place lol.
    agreed!! lsd is definitely a must for this show.

Quote Originally Posted by Bud Luster View Post
    The Chemical Brothers won't play the main stage, but I will say this. Their set on the main stage at Coachella in 2002 was the best set I have seen them play EVER. Better than when they were the Dust Brothers and toured with Orbital and Underworld, better than their gig at Astoria, better than at the Brixton Academy w/ Prodigy, better than any of their other Coachella performances, better than any of the other dozen or so times I have seen them. The same can be said for the sound on the main stage as well.

Would definitely prefer them on the main or outdoor even. So much better to be getting down under the stars than in the tent. I guess you just haven't experienced it if you believe otherwise.
    Daft Punk in the Tent was AWESOME Daft Punk outside at Pukkelpop was FUCKING AWESOME. So maybe same could apply for the brothers

I want my planet BAAAAAAACK *WHRRRRIIIIII WHURRRRRRRR*

I woke up with Galvanize stuck in my head. This really isn't a bad thing.

Hey guys... remember when Throbbing Gristle said "We will play at 7pm in the Mojave" and they ended up playing at 10:10 in the Mojave? I sure do.
    Quote Originally Posted by bmack86 View Post
    And it's been long established that Chris hates fun.

Regardless, I HIGHLY doubt that the Chemical Brothers will play before 10 pm.
    Quote Originally Posted by betao View Post
    There's an emoticon for jerking off on this forum?

The National/Warpaint - 4/21 - Moody Theater
    Thee Silver MT. Zion Orchestra - 4/22 - The Mohawk
    Mogwai - 4/24 - Emo's
    Cloud Nothings/The Men - 4/26 - The Mohawk
    Austin Psych Fest - 5/2 - 5/4 - Carson Creek Ranch
    King Khan & the Shrines - 5/30 - The Mohawk
    Cut Copy - 6/21 - Stubbs
    Swans - 6/27 - The Mohawk
    Boris - 7/29 - The Mohawk

Chem Bros could play from 11:30-1:00 though. All I am saying is that they most likely choose 10:00-11:30 arbitrarily. I highly doubt Paul Tollet has even started to seriously work on set times.

Coachella Junkie heart cooks brain's Avatar

wouldn't it make sense that the higher billed bands have their set times in their contract?
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    If moles had subways, molestation wouldn't be one of the creepiest words there is ....
    Quote Originally Posted by canexplain View Post
    Eat don't chat ...When I figure out what windlowless is, I'll respond .
    i hear voices in my head and they keep caaaaallin' me

Quote Originally Posted by PC-2 Violence View Post
    Erick Morillo 8:00pm
    Sasha 9:00pm
    The Chem Bros 10:00pm
    Boys Noize 11:30pm
    magnetic man needs to fit into here sometime.... i presume they will play the sahara over the pure filth stage due to their popularity...
    http://soundcloud.com/laflur

Monthly Promotional Mix Series now available

Quote Originally Posted by heart cooks brain View Post
    wouldn't it make sense that the higher billed bands have their set times in their contract?
    No, probably not. It would be bad business to book a headliner and giving them a gauranteed set time/length. Chances are the festival would run into issues and have to renegotiate the contract which would lead to either the act dropping out, or paying them more money.

Basically, what this would do would close options for Paul T really early on in the process. Paul T has also said in interviews how long and where they play rarely, if ever, enter the negotiations. Madonna was a notable exception.

Quote Originally Posted by anti-square View Post
    Electric Zoo in the main stage was fucking great! I would like to hear from anyone else who was there if they would prefer the main over the Sahara.

i was there and i thought their outdoor set was mind-blowing. i wasn't on any drugs either.

however:

Quote Originally Posted by grannock
    They know how to utilize the surround sound and have such epic moments like that bass drop transition at the beginning of escape velocity, or during under the influence. Even outdoors, it sounded like an airplane was landing on the crowd, the bass would build from the back then sweep up to the front, I can only imagine how incredible this would be in a tent with surround sound. .
    this is a really good point. they put tons of work into the physical/visual sensation of their live show. giving them the sahara would allow for all sorts of crazy, indescribable rotating/swooping sound effects. mainstage would be more of a spectacle, but you know their visuals are gonna be off the hook anyway. i think letting them take full advantage of the Sahara's surround sound & lighting systems is the right move.

also, grannock - please come to Coachella! you're the only person i know who records entire shows using a Q3. the sound quality is unparalleled...
    2013: GESAFFELSTEIN - washed out - ZZT - SCUBA - chase & status - munchi - dillon francis - mim0sa - JWLS - bro safari - koan sound - mord fustang - skream - spencer & hill - eskmo - black van - clouds - actress - gemini - clive tanaka - angger dimas - griz - blackmill - adam k & soha - boom jinx & jaytech - burial -

Pretty Safe to say that Kele will join them on Believe...

that new show they have is neat! they have a cylindrical arrangement of lights right above their decks

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Trent View Post
    that new show they have is neat! they have a cylindrical arrangement of lights right above their decks

I think I prefer the set-up I saw them with at Electric Zoo. This seems kind of one-dimensional.

Quote Originally Posted by Gonshman View Post
    I think I prefer the set-up I saw them with at Electric Zoo. This seems kind of one-dimensional.
    Galvanize has always been one-dimensional in their shows, it's just the starter, and after having done some youtube research, it's a nice visual complement beside their usual visuals back screen later in the set

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Trent View Post
    Galvanize has always been one-dimensional in their shows, it's just the starter, and after having done some youtube research, it's a nice visual complement beside their usual visuals back screen later in the set
    agreed I was at the bowl show, and this would have been a nice addition, even though what they did was nothing to laugh at neither. Cant wait for coachella, the brothers will definitely work something sick out.

1) Grab your headphones
    2) Increase volume as loud as you can
    2) Go to 8:20

I was surprised when they played this because it was an unnamed track before these 2011 dates. Got played at a DJ set in Milan last year. It was one of the last unnamed tracks after those other unnamed played tracks got legit names( Escape Velocity, Pourquoi)

Gives me chills! It's almost like Coachella 2005 over again!
    Snow --> STA --> Hoops/EBW6 --> TPPR

Snow meshes so well with STA, it gives new life to the track, but more importantly, the Bros bring back Hoops/EBW 6 AND TPPR for the most insane encore ever IMO! Add to this the new visuals and a new setlist makes this the most anticipated Chem show for me ever!

Old story but still good.

Chemical Brothers stop clowning around

The Chemical Brothers have been forced to tone down the disturbing clown images used during their live shows after complaints from fans.

The creepy clowns with bad teeth and smeared make-up - displayed extensively on giant screens during The Chems' sold out 2008 Auckland show - will only be used sparingly when the British dance duo begin their new world tour in New Zealand in March.

Ed Simons said he and Tom Rowlands had decided to "tone down" the clowns after hearing from fans who didn't like the characters, who sing along to songs like Get Yourself High and Do It Again throughout their live performances.

"The clowns have been toned down a bit," Simons told Stuff.co.nz.

"There's a lot of coulrophobia (fear of clowns) about. People were running (away), especially at the more druggy festivals. They (were) like, 'Oh, that was too much.'

"There are still clowns. They're more friendly this time."

Simons said he and Rowlands - known for creating psychelic-tinged electronica since 1995's debut Exit Planet Dust - were looking forward to returning to New Zealand as it was the perfect place to kick off their world tour.

"New Zealand's been great to us, right back when we played the Big Day Out in 2000. We hadn't been that far from home to play before and it's always good to go back," he said.

"Our tour last time was fantastic ... it's a fantastic place."

The Chems' 2008 tour was a head-spinning mix of the band's thumping electronica and a trippy audio-visual show that included strobes, lasers and giant video backdrops.

Simons said their new tour would have a more "integrated" feel to it.

"The new album was made alongside the visuals (and) it's nice how this works with the older stuff," he said.

"We still rely on volume and bright lights and the crowd. The memorable thing is to experience our music at really high volume and with people losing it, that sense of transcendence, being taken to another place, and the hedonism of it."

Further, their seventh album, has marked a change for the duo, who opted not to include guest vocalists - who infused previous hits like rapper Fatlip on The Salmon Dance and Noel Gallagher on Let Forever Be - in favour of crafting a full length album experience.

Simons said Further had been a freeing album to make.

"Some of our bigger hits haven't had guest vocalists, like Hey Boy, Hey Girl and Star Guitar. I think people who've been with us for a long time have enjoyed an album that's looser.

"I'm really glad you can hear a lot of the synth work in our new music."

Simons said current dance music trends - like the blossoming dubstep scene - had influenced the album, but the duo were always trying to create unique music.

"We're not slaves to any trends but we're pretty up on who's producing what. We want to make music that's authentic to us. If we made music that was copying the sounds of 22-year-old kids we'd sound inauthentic."

The pair still DJ'd gigs separately, but Simons said they were looking forward to touring their new album together.

"That bass drum is still thudding away, and it doesn't show any sign of stopping."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/entertainment...lowning-around
    Check out Sleeping In Is Giving In for great mixes and other cool stuff

its called space, dude-and we're goin there

haha oh shit, very interested to see these new clowns
    3/2 Sasha // Big Gigantic
    3/8 STS9, Cherub
    3/19 Eric Clapton
    3/21 EOTO, Govinda
    3/29 Eskmo
    4/4-4/6 Lotus @ Boulder Theater, CO
    4/8 Sigur Ros
    4/12 Gramatik
    4/15 Morrissey
    4/19 Umphrey's McGee // The M Machine
    4/20 Dirty Phonics
    5/2 Alk3
    5/10 Bonobo
    5/31 Lucky Date
    6/3 Postal Service
    6/13-6/16 Bonnaroo

Booo. I like the scary clowns.

And that's a terrible video clip. As always refer to Glastonbury + the BBC footage.

I dunno I am gonna be on crazy drugs for this and I could see those clowns fucking freaking me the fuck out.
    Quote Originally Posted by weeklymix View Post
    you shut your whorish mouth when talking about the sea king.

Get Yourself High + Do It Again = I don't give a shit what's on the screen as long as those songs are played

OHMYGODWHATHAVEIDONE?!

yeah, get yourself high/superflash/TPPR are great adds to the set list. i can't wait to see this live show again and see how different it is from what i saw at the hollywood bowl!
    Coachella 06, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11
    Lollapalooza 95, 96, 97, 03, 08
    Rock The Bells 07, 09, 10
    Sasquatch 10
    Bonnaroo 09
    Vegoose 07, RIP
    Mile High 09

Upcoming Shows
    6/9 - Deftones/Dillenger | 6/10 - Cake | 6/17 - Buckethead | 6/28 - Glitch Mob | 7/25 - APC | 7/30 - LA Rising (Rage, Muse, Lauryn Hill, Rise Against) | 8/12 - Cut//Copy

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Dylanja View Post
    Get Yourself High + Do It Again = I don't give a shit what's on the screen as long as those songs are played

OHMYGODWHATHAVEIDONE?!
    DOITAGAINWOULDBESOGOODOMG

Don't rely on us to get you hiiiiiiiiigh